Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How to easily defeat the Gurtok Barrier Demon

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 29, 2013
So I've noticed many people saying the Gurtok Barrier Demon is too hard. Here was my strategy to defeat him. I defeated him in only one try, and after the battle, I still had 1739 out of 1996 health left.

First: Head over to the bazaar and buy a few Ice Guardians. About 4 should do. Also buy 1 power play and a few quenches (fire dispels), or learn fire dispel from the secret trainer on Colossus Boulevard in Wizard City. Make sure to take all treasure cards out of your sideboard and then put the ones you've bought into your sideboard.

When you actually start battling the Barrier Demon, draw out one of the Guardian treasure cards you got from the auction house. Then use Power Play. This way, your Ice Guardian will have a 45% chance of getting a power pip, and it will be able to use much more Ice Bats and Snow Sharks on the Gurtok than it can usually use, each dealing about 500-750 damage every time because of the Gurtok's weakness. If your Guardian gets defeated, use another one. To make sure the Gurtok doesn't benefit from Power Play, use Quench on him every time he has 3+ pips. He will pretty much be unable to attack at this point, and he will only use a few Weaknesses on you or your Guardian every once in a while. The Gurtok should hopefully be defeated within 5-15 minutes using this strategy. Happy battling!

Noah Earththistle Level 47

Explorer
Mar 07, 2009
This can be very useful for those seeking to complete this quest! Thank you for sharing, Noah.

-Kelsey Spritecatcher, level 52 Thaumaturge

Survivor
Jul 28, 2013
Noah Earththistle on Sep 28, 2013 wrote:
So I've noticed many people saying the Gurtok Barrier Demon is too hard. Here was my strategy to defeat him. I defeated him in only one try, and after the battle, I still had 1739 out of 1996 health left.

First: Head over to the bazaar and buy a few Ice Guardians. About 4 should do. Also buy 1 power play and a few quenches (fire dispels), or learn fire dispel from the secret trainer on Colossus Boulevard in Wizard City. Make sure to take all treasure cards out of your sideboard and then put the ones you've bought into your sideboard.

When you actually start battling the Barrier Demon, draw out one of the Guardian treasure cards you got from the auction house. Then use Power Play. This way, your Ice Guardian will have a 45% chance of getting a power pip, and it will be able to use much more Ice Bats and Snow Sharks on the Gurtok than it can usually use, each dealing about 500-750 damage every time because of the Gurtok's weakness. If your Guardian gets defeated, use another one. To make sure the Gurtok doesn't benefit from Power Play, use Quench on him every time he has 3+ pips. He will pretty much be unable to attack at this point, and he will only use a few Weaknesses on you or your Guardian every once in a while. The Gurtok should hopefully be defeated within 5-15 minutes using this strategy. Happy battling!

Noah Earththistle Level 47
Hi, Noah.
Just defeated GURTOK about a month ago, took at least a half dozen times or more . I finally
used convert to and was able to bet him at his own game using fire spells. I also was able to use my life spells when I converted to . It is all a fuzzy blur now, but I am sure glad its over.

Good fortune in your future quests!

Darby Level 47

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
I found that fire dispels waste my pips and I prefer to use fire shield treasure cards instead. Just my input
Saffron Sandsword
Legendary