Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Observations of fishing. Habits of fish.

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I am not sure if anyone else has noticed the different ways fish react in the water. After many hours of fishing, i can almost tell what sort of fish is in the water or at least attached to the lure.

Here are a few of my observations:
Cuddlefish: They are slow and don't seem to swim but to drift along with the current. They also tend to look larger than some other fish.
Catfish: Seem to be medium to small sized and make sharp turns in the water.
Silver streak: I have only caught one of them and it was very very fast.
Mainstream Dekoi: I always know when a fish is a dekoi by how it nibbles and nibbles on the lure before it finally sinks.
Origami fish: They seem to make more turns than the other fish in the ponds.
Any Cuda's: Quick at taking the lure.

Would like to know if others have also made observations about the actions of the fish.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I've made some similar observations.

'cudas - slower moving fish regardless of which school version you're chasing.
Dekois - faster moving fish regardless of school again, although I still have caught no Jolted Dekois so I have no idea what its characteristics are. Typically not as fast as most of the rare fish.
Cranky Catfish - fastest moving ice fish in Commons main pond, typically smaller but the Whoppers are bigger.
Owl Eyed Pike - slower than 'cudas, like the Cuddlefish.
Archer Fish/Errol Flynn - marginally faster than the Mainstream Dekois, but typically make faster turns in open water.
Jellyfish - slowest fish, almost seems like they're not even moving.
Goldfin-ger - very fast fish, about as fast as the Silver Streak, makes fast turns in open water.

Some of the other one's that haven't already been mentioned, it's been a while since I caught them and I've forgotten their characteristics. Some I didn't really pay attention to because it was relatively painless to catch them, or they were fish that were the only one of their school in the area so they were easy to find (when they finally spawned).

Last night I finally managed to complete my goal to catch at least one of every fish with all 12 of my wizards, except as noted the Jolted Dekoi and now the new Rainbow Trout that just came out. So I can finally get back to questing until the next fishing update.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
High Five Ghost on Oct 30, 2014 wrote:
I've made some similar observations.

'cudas - slower moving fish regardless of which school version you're chasing.
Dekois - faster moving fish regardless of school again, although I still have caught no Jolted Dekois so I have no idea what its characteristics are. Typically not as fast as most of the rare fish.
Cranky Catfish - fastest moving ice fish in Commons main pond, typically smaller but the Whoppers are bigger.
Owl Eyed Pike - slower than 'cudas, like the Cuddlefish.
Archer Fish/Errol Flynn - marginally faster than the Mainstream Dekois, but typically make faster turns in open water.
Jellyfish - slowest fish, almost seems like they're not even moving.
Goldfin-ger - very fast fish, about as fast as the Silver Streak, makes fast turns in open water.

Some of the other one's that haven't already been mentioned, it's been a while since I caught them and I've forgotten their characteristics. Some I didn't really pay attention to because it was relatively painless to catch them, or they were fish that were the only one of their school in the area so they were easy to find (when they finally spawned).

Last night I finally managed to complete my goal to catch at least one of every fish with all 12 of my wizards, except as noted the Jolted Dekoi and now the new Rainbow Trout that just came out. So I can finally get back to questing until the next fishing update.
Wow, THANK YOU very much for sharing this! I can not tell you how much time I have wasted trying to find the Errol Flynn and Goldfin-ger. Not to mention energy refreshing the fish in the ponds.
Thank You again.
Steve
P.S. I have noticed that the really large fish are usually whoppers and the tiny ones are fries. Maybe that's kinda obvious though.