Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fishing luck needs to be better explained to new players

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 17, 2009
I'll start this by saying I've made the complete dive into this game's fishing system, I have caught all 211 fish introduced so far and I've made runs through the quests on multiple characters and experienced fishing from 0 luck all the way to about a 30% base

I have a few gripes with the mechanic but I understand from a developer stand point why it was put in place.

Many games have you "wrestle" with the fish as you pull it in, wizard instead opts for an instant catch but the trick is that even with good timing and correct lure usage the fish can still get away (paraphrased from the help pages in your spell book)

This, in my opinion, is not a well set up use of output randomness, it punishes new players for not understanding how the luck mechanic works and that sometimes fish will just get away. This frustration is compounded since energy is required to fish in the first place. (The energy system itself however is fine and serves its intended purpose)

The problem lies in the presentation of the luck mechanic as well as its rarity as a stat on gear, the luck mechanic is not explained in the Fishing Tome but in the help pages in your spell book, and as a result I see many anglers who think the luck stat has something to do with rare fish or chests.

It could be entirely possible that the developers want players to figure this out on their own but from what I've heard from people fishing for the first time I think this mechanic should be explained some how in the quests, possibly when catching the red armored guard in Dragonspyre as luck is an important factor in catching sentinel fish since they have a smaller catch window.

just as a side note as well I'd love to see more gear items with the fishing luck stat outside of arena ticket vendors and high level crafting, and I'm thankful for the wands we got that have it!