Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fishing is Frustraating

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 04, 2016
I know Fishing is not required per say, that being said I need one more vine to craft my legendary weapon and I'd rather fish for it than farm. Only cause most of the bosses I can farm to get it I can not even reach yet and I have all but given up on Mirage. Why is it said that lures from the same school as the fish will be better. I have had more line snaps from fish of the same school as the lure than luck. Can we have a spell that chases away mainstream decoys? That would be a spell I would use a lot. I know the chests you get from fishing are random but dose anyone happen to know the rarity of the vine drop?

Every time I go up to the Baobob crown just to have my line snapped more often than anything. I also wish there where less fish from lower end places everywhere and more fish that where geared more towards the theme of said world at least that would keep the fishing new and fresh. Example your not gonna find Krokotopian eels in Avalon. Really doodle fish I also feel like there are way to many of these in the game. I am a big believer in if you cant do something right don't do it at all. I feel like fishing was done very improperly for this game and done in such a way as to punish and or get money out of people and if games are suppose to be fun then maybe just make the fish for looks or fix your broken fishing system. Get a copy of Trophy bass and use dos box That is how fishing should work in a game. I would like to see more no energy cost for fishing days at least then if my line is constantly snapped I am also not losing energy on top of it.

Rare fish for crafting recipes Is really bothersome the fact that they are rare is pain enough but needing to catch five or more to craft a tapestry is ridiculous. Since there are so many and I feel they are infesting the water why not use more mainstream decoys for crafting instead of them not really having a purpose. Fish for crafting at all kind of bothers me when crafting first starting fishing was not a thing. then all the sudden fish happened now fish are required for certain recipes this almost make me feel like you purposely are making this stuff out of our reach in hope we Will buy it from your crown store when it is even available and most of the time the thing I need to finish things I am working on I can not get in the crown store. For instance if amber was sold separately and not in hoard packs I would buy it.

These are the reasons I dread logging into this game at this point. If some of these issue where tweaked a little maybe I would be able to find some more interest.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Hi

Are you using the right rank lure as well as the right school? Baobab Crown only has one fish that is rank 1 (Treant Fish) but the others are all rank 2 or 3. Perhaps this is why so many are getting away?

I'm not sure if you know, but you can buy vines from Brandon Mistborn (the badger in Unicorn Way outside the Arena). They cost 400 arena tickets. If you have enough arena tickets you might like to buy the Seafarer's Gear set which comes with fishing luck and an energy boost.

Vines can be found in fishing chests in 4 locations:
Baobab Crown
Caliburn
Elephant Graveyard
High Road

Elephant Graveyard is good for chests and you can winnow death then just catch them all. They seem best for chests and you also stand a chance of getting some of the special code wands. A rank 2 death lure would be best if you have it.

You can also get vines from gardening but I'm guessing you want to get them more quickly than that. They can drop from the following plants:
Deadly Flytrap
Deadly Helephant Ears
Frozen Fly Trap
Goose Tree
Huckleberries (pink, red and blue)
Maelstrom Snap Dragon
Moon Flower
Silver Trumpet Vine
Sunion
Trumpet Vine

I hope this helps, good luck with your fishing and crafting!

Survivor
Aug 04, 2016
I usually always go up there and cast reveal school, then I cast reveal rank, then I try to get all tree fish out of my way then I get all myth fish out of my way. The myth fish seem to be the ones that enjoy snapping my line I will try a rank 2 lure I don't use them very often cause they cost more energy and I am trying to save as much energy as possible in hopes to continue to fish for chests. I have tried fishing in elephant graveyard a handful of time way less then I fish in the crown but have never caught even one chest maybe I will try there more often.
I have not even thought of trying gardening to get a vine I will explore that possibility. Not touching the arena ticket thing, only reason you barely get enough arena ticket to be worth the time, and I do not pvp I have tried and I suck at it. Thank you for all your suggestions and help hopefully these added methods will increase my possibility of getting my vine.

Also sorry if my post seemed ranty I am just a little frustrated with the rarity of certain reagents. Totally different subject but for example still have not crafted my deer knight or lord of knight spells because I only have 5 amber. I have heard and read about king parsley dropping it so I may try that. Again thanks for the pointers and suggestions

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Firetail30 on May 23, 2018 wrote:
I usually always go up there and cast reveal school, then I cast reveal rank, then I try to get all tree fish out of my way then I get all myth fish out of my way. The myth fish seem to be the ones that enjoy snapping my line I will try a rank 2 lure I don't use them very often cause they cost more energy and I am trying to save as much energy as possible in hopes to continue to fish for chests. I have tried fishing in elephant graveyard a handful of time way less then I fish in the crown but have never caught even one chest maybe I will try there more often.
I have not even thought of trying gardening to get a vine I will explore that possibility. Not touching the arena ticket thing, only reason you barely get enough arena ticket to be worth the time, and I do not pvp I have tried and I suck at it. Thank you for all your suggestions and help hopefully these added methods will increase my possibility of getting my vine.

Also sorry if my post seemed ranty I am just a little frustrated with the rarity of certain reagents. Totally different subject but for example still have not crafted my deer knight or lord of knight spells because I only have 5 amber. I have heard and read about king parsley dropping it so I may try that. Again thanks for the pointers and suggestions
It's okay, I understand your frustration! I hate it when fish get away too!

Your line "...I do not pvp I have tried and I such at it." made me laugh....that's me too! I'm terrible at PvP! You can get a good amount of arena tickets but joining a tournament and having an empty deck though....yeah I know it's a bit of a cop-out but our opponent gets extra tickets for winning and we don't have to spend an hour fighting people we don't really want to. You get 250 (or more) arena tickets just for turning up. It might be worth doing and when I did it (to buy the participation trophies for max crafting) no-one was mad at me; they were grateful for the default win and extra tickets they get for it

For your amber there are a few things you can try. King Parsley is a good one and they drop more of their own seeds too so you can quickly build up quite a substantial plot of them even if you only start with 1 or 2. They are also a source of Ultra King Parsley, which has an even better drop rate of amber and they can drop it at mature harvests. As they drop at mature harvests you may want to use the Wilt and Revive* method to get more mature harvests from the seeds.

You can also farm Gladiator (secret boss in Mount Olympus) or Cronus (level 90 secret boss in Tartarus).

Luckily you might even get some from the fishing chests in Elephant Graveyard or Baobab Crown too!

*Wilt and Revive (just in case you don't know what I'm talking about):
This is used to gain extra mature harvests from a plant. It's often used for plants that do not drop their own seed at elder or when the gardener wants mature harvest drops more than elder drops.

When the plant is nearing elder do not see to needs to allow the plant to wilt. Remove likes and perhaps even add some dislikes to help your wilting happen before it turns elder. Make sure to visit the plants again before they elder accidentally so they actually wilt. When they have wilted see to needs - they are now at the start of mature again!