Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Medulla fight RNG - infuriating

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
So I know perfectly well the usual complaints over Medulla, him being too hard or the fight taking wayyyy too long, and I can understand both of those from a final boss standpoint as it is in fact, the final boss. I also recognize that RNG is a factor in Wizard101 as the AI controlled enemies are always (for the most part) RNG based when they chose spells. My major gripe comes in the form of the helpers you receive after you defeat Medullas minions, specifically spark. Now as this is the final fight, it takes a long time, my particular run was about an hour and a half from start to finish. I had to dedicate a part of my day specifically to this and free time is less frequent as of late. For the most part, the entire fight went well, team was working together, doing good damage. Closing in on the end of the fight, medulla only sitting at 10k, we were starting to buff up for our last round of hits. Our balance was just gonna use judgement on that turn with no blades just to get him a bit weaker, but having 0 risk of killing him. At the beginning of that round (medulla going first), he decides to cast aftershock. this would be fine if he didn't critical with blades and do 3k to my entire team. I was the only one to die and everyone else is on about 500 or so HP. Everyone is ok with this because we weren't going to kill medulla until i get back. The judgement attack only does 3k as planned and did not kill. At the end of this specific round however, already with the unluckiness of this critical AOE, spark decides to jump in and 'help'. Without any knowledge to us players, spark uses his essence cannon and does exactly 8116 damage to Medulla, as the number is ingrained into my memory. This completely unplanned event then kills Medulla. This happens after for an hour and a half my team and I made each other acknowledge multiple times that we are not to kill the boss if any of us are dead. This horribly timed RNG event that we had no control over just infuriated me. I am just very angry that and hour and a half was basically robbed from me because of very very very poor RNG. I do not have the time to be playing this game for extended periods and had to make room for this fight. The fact that I just wasted all that time for nothing, I just cant put into words how angry I am.

I don't really know what i'm looking for when I make this post, maybe just a way to vent my anger and also wondering and wanting to see if other people have experienced this in some form or another where you spend all this time doing a boss (in this case medulla), and having horrible RNG (not just having the enemy critical you), but having some unusual, horrible RNG that screws you over and makes all your hard work for naught. I just want to see what others have experienced so I know I am not the only one.

gosh im stressed.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Sorry this happened to you.

Similarly, in terms of frustration, a friend and I slogged through the entire Rasputin battle at the end of Polaris. We struggled and struggled but finally had our last kill shot ready to go and, on the turn we would have killed him, we hit the 30-round deadline. The anchor fell and insta-killed us both.

Venting definitely helps.

Hopefully, when you're ready to try again, the battle will go better for you next time.

Good luck,

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
MasMan10211 on Jun 21, 2018 wrote:
So I know perfectly well the usual complaints over Medulla, him being too hard or the fight taking wayyyy too long, and I can understand both of those from a final boss standpoint as it is in fact, the final boss. I also recognize that RNG is a factor in Wizard101 as the AI controlled enemies are always (for the most part) RNG based when they chose spells. My major gripe comes in the form of the helpers you receive after you defeat Medullas minions, specifically spark. Now as this is the final fight, it takes a long time, my particular run was about an hour and a half from start to finish. I had to dedicate a part of my day specifically to this and free time is less frequent as of late. For the most part, the entire fight went well, team was working together, doing good damage. Closing in on the end of the fight, medulla only sitting at 10k, we were starting to buff up for our last round of hits. Our balance was just gonna use judgement on that turn with no blades just to get him a bit weaker, but having 0 risk of killing him. At the beginning of that round (medulla going first), he decides to cast aftershock. this would be fine if he didn't critical with blades and do 3k to my entire team. I was the only one to die and everyone else is on about 500 or so HP. Everyone is ok with this because we weren't going to kill medulla until i get back. The judgement attack only does 3k as planned and did not kill. At the end of this specific round however, already with the unluckiness of this critical AOE, spark decides to jump in and 'help'. Without any knowledge to us players, spark uses his essence cannon and does exactly 8116 damage to Medulla, as the number is ingrained into my memory. This completely unplanned event then kills Medulla. This happens after for an hour and a half my team and I made each other acknowledge multiple times that we are not to kill the boss if any of us are dead. This horribly timed RNG event that we had no control over just infuriated me. I am just very angry that and hour and a half was basically robbed from me because of very very very poor RNG. I do not have the time to be playing this game for extended periods and had to make room for this fight. The fact that I just wasted all that time for nothing, I just cant put into words how angry I am.

I don't really know what i'm looking for when I make this post, maybe just a way to vent my anger and also wondering and wanting to see if other people have experienced this in some form or another where you spend all this time doing a boss (in this case medulla), and having horrible RNG (not just having the enemy critical you), but having some unusual, horrible RNG that screws you over and makes all your hard work for naught. I just want to see what others have experienced so I know I am not the only one.

gosh im stressed.
I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't have had the inward 'nooooooooo!' when you described what happened! You are certainly not alone! It's very frustrating for anyone to miss drops at the end of a long dungeon/battle.

I hope you find time to do it again soon and have a really good run where the RNG works for you instead of against! I'm sorry that happened to you.