Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Medulla boss fight

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 25, 2017 wrote:
Sorry to hear the Duelist 101 Guide wasn't as helpful as we had hoped. We will look into making a tips and tricks article for Medulla which may be a better fit for this kind of boss.

In the meantime, I just finished a solo video of Medulla. Watching it might be helpful in terms of what to expect or how to counter his confusion mechanics: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?493979-Medulla-Solo(Buffed-Version)-Full-Health-Finish
thanks for the tip. I watched the video and I noticed Medulla didn't mind-meddled you and Spark didn't shot his cannon near as much than when I tried that battle. What was different? Did I miss something in the video??

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 24, 2017 wrote:
I'd like to add: Why was it buffed? It was challenging enough the way it was. Were there complainers thinking only themselves wanting a buff? Maybe they're the ones should help others get through the battle. I agree, a 3-4 hour dungeon is not feasible. KI, bare in mind there are people; parents with children present, those with medical problems who can't sit that long at a time. Is fair for them that these players can never finish the battle to unlock others? KI, please take this in to consideration and change the battle back to the way it was.
What was buffed in the Medulla fight? I never got to play it in test so I am curious about what was changed.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Black Pearl on Nov 25, 2017 wrote:
What was buffed in the Medulla fight? I never got to play it in test so I am curious about what was changed.
I didn't play it in the test realm either. I heard it was buffed by a few players and I too would like to know way and what changed.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 25, 2017 wrote:
thanks for the tip. I watched the video and I noticed Medulla didn't mind-meddled you and Spark didn't shot his cannon near as much than when I tried that battle. What was different? Did I miss something in the video??
Medulla did mind meddle me. However, when soloing his mind meddle occurs once every 10 rounds. It occurs much more frequently as a team. Sparck's cannon fired once every 5 rounds which is the same rate he fires it in team battles.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Black Pearl on Nov 25, 2017 wrote:
Medulla was buffed several times in test

-Originally, any battle besides your first battle with Medulla would be vs Medulla alone. Your allies would already be on your team from the beginning. This has now been fixed so you always fight Medulla and all three of his minions.
-Medulla's confusion mechanic's card targeting used to be visible so by selecting and deselecting cards you could effectively choose your target despite being confused. This is now fixed so that the targeting is not visible to the player.
-Originally, packing minion sacrificing cards in your deck would cause Medulla to sacrifice himself and any minions. Now doing the same thing will cause you to OHKO yourself or your allies.

In Live realm Medulla received two additional buffs:

-Pork used to cast smokescreen every round once he joins your side. Now he only does so occasionally.
-AoE spells used to ignore confusion mechanics and always hit the enemy team. Now AoE spells are also subject to confusion and can target your team.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 26, 2017 wrote:

-Originally, any battle besides your first battle with Medulla would be vs Medulla alone. Your allies would already be on your team from the beginning. This has now been fixed so you always fight Medulla and all three of his minions.
-Medulla's confusion mechanic's card targeting used to be visible so by selecting and deselecting cards you could effectively choose your target despite being confused. This is now fixed so that the targeting is not visible to the player.
-Originally, packing minion sacrificing cards in your deck would cause Medulla to sacrifice himself and any minions. Now doing the same thing will cause you to OHKO yourself or your allies.

-Pork used to cast smokescreen every round once he joins your side. Now he only does so occasionally.
-AoE spells used to ignore confusion mechanics and always hit the enemy team. Now AoE spells are also subject to confusion and can target your team.
Thank you for explaining this. I also noticed that the one minion who was supposed to heal (Beans?) never did once we got him on our side. I am not sure if he was supposed to, but if he was, was that a buffing also? Or was that just our bad luck?

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Eric Stormbringer on Nov 26, 2017 wrote:

Thanks for the posts.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
paul the wizard on Nov 22, 2017 wrote:
I did this fight 3 times with my life wizard and others, once in the test realm.What fun it was.First of all when you get confused drop any cards Medulla can use against the team.As a life wizard I had some revive cards for others on the team.I made sure to drop them if they became active when I was confused and leaving no active hit cards Medulla could use or healing cards.Most pets are immune to medulla's confusion but not all I think. Make sure your team understand the rules,try to kill the minion first so the can help you on this quest,even the cannon will now help against Medulla.It's a long fight so don't have no baby's who chicken out because they have to go to bed or some other excuse.I can't wait for part 2,have fun wizard, it all in the game.Paul Ironriver
I did exactly that and we were able to complete the battle. We were a team of three and it took us over four hours. Two were life and one was ice, not an ideal team as far as schools go. However, these are my friends and the team I work with. I cannot abide the stuff that goes on with team up. Ain't no one got time for that!

That brings me to the point you made about people needing to leave the dungeon before its finished (ie."chickening out and going to bed" lol) This game is billed as a family game by KI (E10+) There are going to be kids that need to go to bed, do chores or homework, eat dinner etc. They have to do these things on their parent's say so most of the time, so they have no choice but to leave. Most of those kids are excellent players and are not "chickening out". They just have to do what they have to do. This is why I don't think a dungeon should take as long as this one does. It makes for lots of abandoned teams (another reason why I avoid team up).

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Black Pearl on Nov 26, 2017 wrote:
Thank you for explaining this. I also noticed that the one minion who was supposed to heal (Beans?) never did once we got him on our side. I am not sure if he was supposed to, but if he was, was that a buffing also? Or was that just our bad luck?
When I defeated beans he did not heal me right away but did several rounds later. My conclusion from that is that either his heal is randomly cast or a certain threshold must be met( damage dealt to you, health left etc). However, that is speculation and only the devs would be able to offer more info bar further testing.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I would like to add my two cents.

I liked Medulla as is, and do not think it should be changed. That was actually one of the most fun battles I've ever been in in all of Wizard101! I think that it worked great. Yes, it does take a bit more effort, but it is totally possible. Keep trying and good luck! (It took more than a few teams fleeing early, but we eventually made it work, with a bunch of random people!)

P.S. Eeeevvvvveeerrrrr! Hands down like number 1!

Explorer
Jun 29, 2009
I am sorry, I have read most of the replies and I have to disagree with the majority of you. First everyone was complaining the RAT was impossible to duel, they tweaked him and now he is a joke, people also complained about Shane Von Shane (which is acceptable). But in regards to Medulla he is supposed to be a CHALLENGE, it took me two tries. The point is to learn the cheats of the boss and find different ways to defeat him. Complaining about his health and that he's too hard, proves you aren't trying hard enough...

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Justin Firethief on Dec 1, 2017 wrote:
I am sorry, I have read most of the replies and I have to disagree with the majority of you. First everyone was complaining the RAT was impossible to duel, they tweaked him and now he is a joke, people also complained about Shane Von Shane (which is acceptable). But in regards to Medulla he is supposed to be a CHALLENGE, it took me two tries. The point is to learn the cheats of the boss and find different ways to defeat him. Complaining about his health and that he's too hard, proves you aren't trying hard enough...
Excuse me? "Aren't trying hard enough"? That's a bit of an insult don't you think. You have no idea how hard I've tried and how many hours I put in that battle. Maybe you have the KNACK to be a HARDCORE player and know all the tricks up front but lot of us are not you. Because you claimed battles like the ones you've mentioned were simple enough in the beginning, why don't you lay everything out in details how to beat Medulla. So all the CASUAL players can beat these kind of battles. If we still fail a couple of times after your guidance, THEN you can say; we are not trying hard enough...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Justin Firethief on Dec 1, 2017 wrote:
that's a rather one-sided statement, don't you think?

if you are an experienced player with a perfect team and the best gear/pet/etc., of course it's easy. if you aren't, or you don't have those things, you will struggle.

i have decent gear and good (though not perfect) pets; i soloed everything in empyrea (and the game, save ridiculous cheat dungeons) with no major issues. however, i understand that not everyone has those things and i won't insist that things must be fine for everyone just because i'm not struggling.

story content should be doable by all schools in any combination. i haven't fought the rat since he was tweaked. and, while it was still hard to find a team, at least it wasn't a 4-hour slog. ain't nobody got time for that.

my issue with shane was that his drops were junk, despite being a tougher fight than yev or malistaire. but at least shane's cheats were counterable by something other than discarding and/or fleeing.

by all means keep your crazy cheats. but those instances should be opt-in, not opt-out; let those who have the time and resources have their 'challenge', but don't force it on those of us who don't.

-von

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Duelist 101 has updated our Medulla Guide with a strategy section that should prove more helpful to those who need help. Let us know what you think!

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Dec 2, 2017 wrote:
Duelist 101 has updated our Medulla Guide with a strategy section that should prove more helpful to those who need help. Let us know what you think!
http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/empyrea-part-1-finale-guide-medulla/

I guess what I really hate about this fight is that there's nothing I can do to shorten the length of it. I'm so used to thinking that if I can work around the cheats for any fight, then it'll only last 5 minutes at most. No matter what I do for Medulla, the fight itself still ends up lasting my team an hour :/

Anyways, now I'll talk about feedback for your guide. Everything you said is basically what we've been doing so far, so I guess it's nice to see that the strategy we came up with is what other people have been already doing (too bad there's no way to shorten the fight to 5 minutes...). I did find it interesting that you recommended the hitters to carry Vaporize tc as well, because it's something that I didn't think about. Our hitters were basically always at max pips for the majority of the fight, so I could see Vaporize being helpful. The only problem I have against that is, for us, all the hitters were carrying their hits as tc, so the Vaporize tc could interfere when they are looking for an attack.

My 2 characters that I was double boxing with were both supporters, and I filled their decks with the Life/Myth and Death/Myth shields. Because of the way the spell is set up, the Myth shield gets placed before the other school shield, so the Pierce tc that I spammed whenever confused only removed that other school shield, not the Myth one.

Overall, I really liked the guide, and I can see it helping people get through this fight.

On a side note, Eric, how long does it take you (in a team of 4) to get through this fight?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
BrahmShadow on Dec 3, 2017 wrote:
http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/empyrea-part-1-finale-guide-medulla/

I guess what I really hate about this fight is that there's nothing I can do to shorten the length of it. I'm so used to thinking that if I can work around the cheats for any fight, then it'll only last 5 minutes at most. No matter what I do for Medulla, the fight itself still ends up lasting my team an hour :/

Anyways, now I'll talk about feedback for your guide. Everything you said is basically what we've been doing so far, so I guess it's nice to see that the strategy we came up with is what other people have been already doing (too bad there's no way to shorten the fight to 5 minutes...). I did find it interesting that you recommended the hitters to carry Vaporize tc as well, because it's something that I didn't think about. Our hitters were basically always at max pips for the majority of the fight, so I could see Vaporize being helpful. The only problem I have against that is, for us, all the hitters were carrying their hits as tc, so the Vaporize tc could interfere when they are looking for an attack.

My 2 characters that I was double boxing with were both supporters, and I filled their decks with the Life/Myth and Death/Myth shields. Because of the way the spell is set up, the Myth shield gets placed before the other school shield, so the Pierce tc that I spammed whenever confused only removed that other school shield, not the Myth one.

Overall, I really liked the guide, and I can see it helping people get through this fight.

On a side note, Eric, how long does it take you (in a team of 4) to get through this fight?
Usually around an hour as well if with a team.

Survivor
May 18, 2011
I have been a wizard over 6 years & have always enjoyed a challenge. But Medulla is ridiculous. I also like having fun playing it. That's what the spiral is suppose to be about: questing with a sense of humor & enjoying the game. But when it comes to Medulla, the fun is gone. The desire to even log in to play is going with it because I know everything eventually leads to Medulla. Seems so many think its so easy that anyone can do it. Surprise! NOT regular players. In the past a few bosses got nerfed for regular players to make it to Mirage. For what reason do you think they did that? Cause Mirage would have been a big fail with only a few of the expert players making it. Unless they do something with Medulla, I don't see too many people heading to Empryea 2. And if there are more Medulla's in part 2, I know I'm going to be saving a heap of money and give more space to the experts.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I only finished medulla's boss fight yesterday after three previous tries (two failed because it wouldn't let me port back in because we had been fighting in there for just that long) the third we all died and I had to go because it was twelve am and I had been up for 20 some odd hours as it was. Im never doing that dungeon again, I dont care if there was gear drops that could give me 100 percent immunity to everything, that was far too much suffering in my already insufferable life.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
I beat Medulla just last night. You don't need a full team to defeat Medulla. I do believe a life is almost essential though. My team consisted of a storm, death, and a life with connection issues. The life kept getting kicked off, so it was mostly the death and storm fleeing and coming back. Basically we got through half the fight with only two people. That being said, we were excited when the life returned online. Life is definitely a major plus to that fight. We made it through in a hour. Medulla himself isn't difficult. His health can just be annoying, but I just used owl on him to knock off an easy 20-50k. The key to defeating him is to kill the minions first, especially the life. It's nice to defeat Sparck, so you don't have that cannon stealing your shadow pip. The boss is more annoying than anything.