Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is DS based on? I got the answer

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
39
Hello, I know I make a lot of these but i know a lot about world culture because everyone in my family has a country we study:
Dad: Germany
Mom: Italy
Brother: French
Me: Japan
Now to be honest i didn't get this from my mom but actually science (not geography lol) when we learned about rocks: The Basilica is the Commons of DragonSpyre and there is a stone landmark in Rome, Italy called the Basilica. So i am pretty sure that DragonSpyre is really based on Italy even though a lot of people say Germany, Ukraine, and Russia even though i don't understand Russia its cold there lol!

Hope this shines a bit of light on the topic!

-Sayonara
Kevin BattleBreeze Level: 82 Life

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
29
Lol people say Russia cause of some us the Russian accents the ncp's have.

Defender
Sep 09, 2012
172
You could be on to something....

Historian
Jul 28, 2011
600
They could have borrowed a few names
I don't think it's based off of Italy...The people have Russian accents, and they were very focused on fire and dragons.

If we are talking about Rome, they were most known for similarities in Greek style. If they were to do something on Rome, it would have something similar to Greek mythology and ways. Apart from the basilisca, it doesn't really seem like Rome......

Although the Rome idea is interesting about the Basilisca Perhaps they borrowed the name? KI have borrowed a lot of names lol. Idk, it just seems more Russia to me. But if this was Italy, then it's a shame they didn't do what Italy really looks like....not covered in lava and ruins and dragons

Defender
Feb 16, 2010
193
well think about it. Russian accents, war based lifestyle= Sparta (ancient greek civilization witch society based on war) dragons= japan and other country's, volcano's and lava everywhere= first stages of the new planet earth, basilica=borrowed name (maybe) dragoon armor=-well nothing BUT the name is french for dragon, the cloth hat that looks like a baseball hat but has a flat top is WWI era, the banners on sticks you see in the ground by houses or towers are like roman standards where they raise it high and show the legion number or something. ( you notice the eagle on top also was on top for the roman legion standard) so you see that DS is actually a mix of several different country's, empires, places, from diff eras from the beginning of earth to present day. there is no true thing its based off of.

- jack skullbreeze master of fire

Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
14
I think dragon spyre is based off of ethier world war 1 or 2

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
937
The best match for Dragonspyre is the Byzantine Empire.

As the eastern, Greek-dominated portion of the ancient Roman Empire, it lasted through the 1400's and was an important formative influence on the modern Greek Orthodox church and the Russian Orthodox church. It encompassed modern Greece, Bulgaria, parts of Romania, western and central Turkey, Jordan, northern Syria, and Cyprus.

It retained a lot of ancient Greek and Roman government and cultural terms (Atheneum, NEcropolis, Academia) and its most important allies and rivals were from the Slavic kingdoms Bulgaria, Moldova, Ukraine, Serbia, Kiev, Armenia, and the Turks.

That's probably why all the zones are named after Greek civic buildings and the heroes and minibosses have Slavic or Greek sounding names. It's probably also why most of the architecture looks Roman - broken columns, pedestals, scrollwork, inscriptions, The Forum, etc.

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
186
crunkatog on Jul 29, 2013 wrote:
The best match for Dragonspyre is the Byzantine Empire.

As the eastern, Greek-dominated portion of the ancient Roman Empire, it lasted through the 1400's and was an important formative influence on the modern Greek Orthodox church and the Russian Orthodox church. It encompassed modern Greece, Bulgaria, parts of Romania, western and central Turkey, Jordan, northern Syria, and Cyprus.

It retained a lot of ancient Greek and Roman government and cultural terms (Atheneum, NEcropolis, Academia) and its most important allies and rivals were from the Slavic kingdoms Bulgaria, Moldova, Ukraine, Serbia, Kiev, Armenia, and the Turks.

That's probably why all the zones are named after Greek civic buildings and the heroes and minibosses have Slavic or Greek sounding names. It's probably also why most of the architecture looks Roman - broken columns, pedestals, scrollwork, inscriptions, The Forum, etc.
This one is the most convincing so far

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
311
It's a nice point, but I think it's an are in Russia destroyed by a huge volcano. Russian accents, ruined things, Great Spyre + Dragon Titan = volcano-thing, you know. But there seems to be a bit of greek content.

Survivor
Aug 05, 2012
3
SoupWizard64 on Oct 4, 2013 wrote:
It's a nice point, but I think it's an are in Russia destroyed by a huge volcano. Russian accents, ruined things, Great Spyre + Dragon Titan = volcano-thing, you know. But there seems to be a bit of greek content.
You're onto something, there is a supervolcano in America and there are many more just undiscovered. Maybe the supervolcano caused this.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
253
Dragonspyre is based on the ancient roman city of Pompeii and the ancient Greek civilization I think. I think the accents is just something they decided to add.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
346
I find that a lot of these worlds are based off of mixed countries and cultures, which makes it all the more interesting. Instead of focusing it on being from just one culture, try looking at the mixtures added.

~Shannon Skybreaker

Survivor
Feb 28, 2013
1
ya i think DS is based on both russia and italy if this answers anything for people out there

bye for now!

alex shadowflame lvl 32 fire

Defender
Jul 10, 2009
186
I was thought it was based off Pompeii. Think about it .. an ancient city destroyed by a volcano. A basilica is a name for a fancy sort of cathedral.

Good ideas though, I never thought to listen to the accents.

Haley MoonHeart, Archmage Thaumagture

Mastermind
Jun 02, 2013
311
Haley MoonHeart on Oct 22, 2013 wrote:
I was thought it was based off Pompeii. Think about it .. an ancient city destroyed by a volcano. A basilica is a name for a fancy sort of cathedral.

Good ideas though, I never thought to listen to the accents.

Haley MoonHeart, Archmage Thaumagture
I always listen to the accents . I love to visit Milos Bookkwyrm just so I can listen to his voice.