Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

what is ds base on

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 28, 2015
i have thought a big and can't figure out what it has been based apon the dragon army can be like the germen army or maybe Rome but its never clear what it is can some one tell me?

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
As I have traveled the Spiral I have asked myself that question many times, and after no small amount of digging I believe I have found the basis for Dragonspyre. It may sound strange but if you dig around on the internet and some text books from the library you will find a civilization called the Kievan Rus.

To (perhaps) be brief the Kievan Rus was basically a federation of Slavic tribes that inhabited somewhere near or within what is modern day Russia, between the late 9th to mid13th century. They did a large amount of trade with the Byzantine Empire (or the Eastern Roman Empire) which had a large amount of influence on their culture mostly in religion, architecture, etc...

How does this relate to Dragonspyre? If you note most of the area names in Dragonspyre are based on places one might find in a Roman city for example the Necropolis (a place where the Romans and many other places once controlled by them buried their dead). However, what really makes me sure it is inspired by the Kievan Rus is the Basilica. While also defined as a place of law in ancient Rome, it is also defined as a medieval Christian church. The Kievan Rus under the rule of Vladimir the Great converted to Christianity. A name that sounds like something you would find in Dragonspyre. On top of that there's the Atheneum, the Crucible, that fact that everyone (except Malistaire, Cyrus, and Sylvia for some weird unknown reason) have Russian sounding accents. The fact that Dragonspyre is a militaristic society and the Kievan Rus was known for a number of military campaigns.

I could keep going on how the similarities keep adding up but I'm running out of room, and someone is probably falling asleep right now so I'll leave it at that.

Now I know that was a lot to read, I apologize, and if you read all of it I applaud you. I hope it helped, because somewhere out there a history teacher is smiling.

Explorer
May 09, 2011
The Lore Keeper on Aug 19, 2016 wrote:
As I have traveled the Spiral I have asked myself that question many times, and after no small amount of digging I believe I have found the basis for Dragonspyre. It may sound strange but if you dig around on the internet and some text books from the library you will find a civilization called the Kievan Rus.

To (perhaps) be brief the Kievan Rus was basically a federation of Slavic tribes that inhabited somewhere near or within what is modern day Russia, between the late 9th to mid13th century. They did a large amount of trade with the Byzantine Empire (or the Eastern Roman Empire) which had a large amount of influence on their culture mostly in religion, architecture, etc...

How does this relate to Dragonspyre? If you note most of the area names in Dragonspyre are based on places one might find in a Roman city for example the Necropolis (a place where the Romans and many other places once controlled by them buried their dead). However, what really makes me sure it is inspired by the Kievan Rus is the Basilica. While also defined as a place of law in ancient Rome, it is also defined as a medieval Christian church. The Kievan Rus under the rule of Vladimir the Great converted to Christianity. A name that sounds like something you would find in Dragonspyre. On top of that there's the Atheneum, the Crucible, that fact that everyone (except Malistaire, Cyrus, and Sylvia for some weird unknown reason) have Russian sounding accents. The fact that Dragonspyre is a militaristic society and the Kievan Rus was known for a number of military campaigns.

I could keep going on how the similarities keep adding up but I'm running out of room, and someone is probably falling asleep right now so I'll leave it at that.

Now I know that was a lot to read, I apologize, and if you read all of it I applaud you. I hope it helped, because somewhere out there a history teacher is smiling.

Thanks, I was worried I was gonna fail tomorrow's test

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Just from the character names, clothes and accents, it seems to me the natives of Dragonspyre are based on real world Eastern Europeans of some sort. I have always leaned toward Romania, but its hard to be really precise.

Interestingly, The Celestian remnants, the ghostly survivors of Celestia's great flood, seem to strongly resemble the people of Dragonspyre in terms of appearance and accents. Perhaps Dragonspyre was originally a colony of Celestia or vice versa.

Explorer
Dec 25, 2012
I get a necromonger (chronicles of Riddick rated r) vibe from it