Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Anyone Care!?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
OMG!! Anyone else feel pity for Malistaire? His wife, who loved more than anything, died and he's risking everthing trying to bring her back! I know it's bad, but he loves her so much! Anyone else feel sorry for him?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Alura BH on Jun 15, 2013 wrote:
OMG!! Anyone else feel pity for Malistaire? His wife, who loved more than anything, died and he's risking everthing trying to bring her back! I know it's bad, but he loves her so much! Anyone else feel sorry for him?
*waves hand*

i have a soft spot for baddies, but i love mally to death (horrible pun intended) because he was so much more than just another cookie-cutter disney villain. and i think sylvia's death was a huge part of that character/his role throughout the storyline.

i want to tell you that i did not sob hysterically into my sweater during that final cut-scene in dragonspyre, but it would be a lie. that whole scene just hit me right in the feels, and nothing can ever repair my shattered black little wizard-heart.

-v.
dr. von awesomestein the undying, esquire.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2012
I feel really bad for Malistaire. He loves his wife, and I feel bad he had that loss.
I did not fight him yet, but I felt a soft spot when I found out about his wife.... Poor Sylvia. (That is a pretty name, too. I bet she was nice.)
It is sad, but that is why he is being evil, and it is in our place as wizards to try to make his poor, hurt soul rest is peace knowing Sylvia's is as well.
I care lots.

Defender
May 03, 2009
I feel bad for Malistaire but my hatred for him crowded my sadness for him when he never gave me the robe. But, then he gave it to me and I remembered how I felt sorry for him. How would you feel if you're best friend for life died? -Starts to sob- It is..-Sob-..very sad..-Sob-..indeed..-Sob-..

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
Scarlet Hawk on Jun 19, 2013 wrote:
I feel bad for Malistaire but my hatred for him crowded my sadness for him when he never gave me the robe. But, then he gave it to me and I remembered how I felt sorry for him. How would you feel if you're best friend for life died? -Starts to sob- It is..-Sob-..very sad..-Sob-..indeed..-Sob-..
Heh, yeah ... my best friend, my dog, died recently ... he was 14 in human years And yes, Slyvia was very, very nice, as one of he NPCs said

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
A couple thoughts I had regarding Sylvia...

1. I thought it really strange that she got an illness and died suddenly. A professor of life school magic, married to another professor of magic? How can this happen? It seemed so strange and suspicious I thought for sure the story arc was going to reveal that Malistaire isn't so evil, but rather seeking revenge on the perpetrators.

2. I was confused regarding Sylvia becoming a wraith. This furthered my opinion that something sinister had been done to Sylvia.

3. When I defeated Malistair and Sylvia appears I was completely shocked by her character. Then I laughed uncontrollably. She did not strike me as a suitable life partner for someone like Malistair. Does Malistair like chocolate chip cookies and hand knitted mittens? Doesn't seem like a suitable match at all.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
RottenHeart on Jun 21, 2013 wrote:

1. I thought it really strange that she got an illness and died suddenly. A professor of life school magic, married to another professor of magic? How can this happen? It seemed so strange and suspicious I thought for sure the story arc was going to reveal that Malistaire isn't so evil, but rather seeking revenge on the perpetrators.

2. I was confused regarding Sylvia becoming a wraith. This furthered my opinion that something sinister had been done to Sylvia.

3. When I defeated Malistair and Sylvia appears I was completely shocked by her character. Then I laughed uncontrollably. She did not strike me as a suitable life partner for someone like Malistair. Does Malistair like chocolate chip cookies and hand knitted mittens? Doesn't seem like a suitable match at all.
Interesting observations, RottenHeart... Definitely some food for thought here.

1) In my nanowrimo fan-fic, Mally got rid of Sylvia himself, for reasons known only to Yours Truly. It could be that there's more to this whole mess than meets the eye~ maybe Morganthe bringing him back is punishment/atonement for whatever horrible thing he did to Sylvia, whether he was involved directly or not.

2) It is mentioned in the storyline that Malistaire put Sylvia's spirit in a wraith's body, to preserve it until he could awaken the Dragon Titan and order it to revive her (the whole point of the first arc)... But perhaps that's not entirely true, either.

3) Some things are, just because they are... and, sometimes, opposites attract.

And hey, Mally may have had a soft side once~ as Gloria Krendell says in Wizard City, he went mad after Sylvia died. And von knows for a fact that her undead boy-friend likes fish-paste cookies.

-v.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
OMG I feel sooooooo bad for Malistaire

His beloved wife died. I do not blame him for going mad and crazy, because I would do the same. If a family member you love deeply passed away, wouldn't you do anything to bring them back?

And there a lots of people trying to stop him from trying to bring her back, It's the only reason why he had an army of undead, to stop people from stoping him.

All he wanted to do was bring his beloved wife he loved back And even though he would have destroyed the spiral in the proccess, I can't help but wishing I could help him

You are awesome Malistaire!

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
RottenHeart on Jun 21, 2013 wrote:

1. She possibly caught one of the fulminant respiratory viruses going around the world today - SARS, MERS, and H7N1 influenza to name a few - that will take young, healthy people and put them in critical care for weeks to months.

2. Malistaire tried every means at his disposal to resurrect his wife. At first he tried life and death magic to regenerate her (Krokonomicon) This didn't work, so he sought out Dr. von Katzenstein to help him use electric current to reanimate her. He was unable to help, since she was probably already damaged beyond basic neural function. I don't know what Meowiarty was able to offer him other than perhaps underworld connections and access to von Katzenstein.

2a. As an option of last resort, Malistaire turned Sylvia into a wraith so he could at least talk to her. A wraith is basically an earthbound soul. The problem is, a wraith is mindless and empty and lost, because the body has not been properly prepared for the afterlife. So the soul is unable to process the events of its former life, and is without direction, i.e. lost. The result was a disaster - far from being the memory of his intelligent and affectionate partner, the wraith did not recognize him nor did it remember anything of its former existence. It was drawn to the living, but in a parasitic, needy way. He shut the result up in the mausoleum.

3. Behind every great man is a great woman. Malistaire is portrayed as an ambitious, grasping, evil, and arrogant villain. He may also have been a meticulous, resourceful professor and a doting, but occupationally driven, husband. He needed a no-nonsense, positive and caring touch in his life to stabilize his tendency to immerse imself in his work. He also needed the life-affirming perspective of someone like Sylvia to offset his alien and depressing field of study.

Defender
Feb 16, 2010
i do in fact feel sorry for him. he just wanted to love her again. some people would do the same if there was a real place with magic like the spiral. but however we cannot forget what he has done to the innocent people of dragonspyre and other worlds. he has killed everyone in DS and completely destroyed it. so dont feel to sorry for him because he has done some very evil things. just think of all the women and children and baby's he has killed just to bring back his wife.so dont feel to sorry for him just a little.

-jack skullbreeze master of fire

Explorer
Jun 30, 2013
I do feel bad for Malistaire... losing his wife and all. But if you think about what he did to get her back... can you really forgive him?

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
ThomasSkyshard on Jul 5, 2013 wrote:
I do feel bad for Malistaire... losing his wife and all. But if you think about what he did to get her back... can you really forgive him?
Yes, yes I can. It was for true love, a purpose for evil, unlike Morganthe, who just wants revenge and (Spoiler!) Kill the azteca peoples. I cannot forgive her for that!

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
I am very sad Mally died . I am happy he came back to fight me in Azteca, though Morganthe made him mad at me again :(. I feel sorry for Malistaire.

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
i feel terribly sorry for him and now i am going to kill him soon... oh poor malistare... Hope Morganthe's story isn't sad... I am in Dragonspyre.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Yes, I feel bad for Malistare. I bet he must of felt horrible when Sylvia died.