Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Plant Needs Question!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
25
Hi All,

I read somewhere that "needs" only appear if you visit your garden.

So lets say you plant a garden, leave your home and then don't return to it for 5 days, your plants should be at Elder and you don't have to tend to their needs unless they have some when you visit he garden on that 5th day.

Is this accurate?

Thanks,

Hero
Sep 19, 2013
770
No, your plants can only advance to the next stage when you visit. There will be no needs, but a seedling plant will be at the beginning of young.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4118
Not entirely true. They will progress to the next stage of maturity, they will not go from Seedling to Elder without visits, but yes if you leave them with all needs taken care of while they are in the Mature stage, they will be Elder even if you don't return for months. You have Seedling, Young, Mature and Elder as the healthy stages. Basically if you take care of the needs until Mature, you can ignore them after if you don't visit.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2014
17
Sadly it doen't work that way. Here is what happens, if not tended for even one whole day it may die i know this because i was gone for a whole day logged on and found myself a pile of stuff to tend to :( so sorry you need it to have a pixie or something that keeps it from die in... >.<

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
25
sparkleeden on May 15, 2014 wrote:
Sadly it doen't work that way. Here is what happens, if not tended for even one whole day it may die i know this because i was gone for a whole day logged on and found myself a pile of stuff to tend to :( so sorry you need it to have a pixie or something that keeps it from die in... >.<
This cant be right because I always leave my garden unattended over the weekend and nothing has ever died.

I just make sure to visit on Friday, tend to the needs and then don't visit again until Monday.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4118
sparkleeden on May 15, 2014 wrote:
Sadly it doen't work that way. Here is what happens, if not tended for even one whole day it may die i know this because i was gone for a whole day logged on and found myself a pile of stuff to tend to :( so sorry you need it to have a pixie or something that keeps it from die in... >.<
Not true at all. Needs only occur when you visit the house. They only cause damage if you leave without fixing them. You can leave your garden for any length of time without anything dying as long as you took care of all needs on your last visit.

Survivor
May 31, 2014
34
Angel Dust on May 14, 2014 wrote:
Hi All,

I read somewhere that "needs" only appear if you visit your garden.

So lets say you plant a garden, leave your home and then don't return to it for 5 days, your plants should be at Elder and you don't have to tend to their needs unless they have some when you visit he garden on that 5th day.

Is this accurate?

Thanks,
Oh, how I wish that was how plants work. Sadly, it is not. You have to tend them and fill their needs :/ Leaving them alone will not get them to elder, sadly.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
9
Angel Dust on May 14, 2014 wrote:
Hi All,

I read somewhere that "needs" only appear if you visit your garden.

So lets say you plant a garden, leave your home and then don't return to it for 5 days, your plants should be at Elder and you don't have to tend to their needs unless they have some when you visit he garden on that 5th day.

Is this accurate?

Thanks,
Not true. it's different with all plants, but even the fastest growing plants need to be harvested and cared for before it becomes an elder plant. Once i left for vacation and came back and even the fastest growing plants weren't even making progress on the adult stage.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2010
4
So, if you only have to avoid the house to avoid needs (assuming you follow what others have said here already), does that mean you can't visit any house of your wizard, or just the one you have plants in? I have 3 houses and I'd like to visit one or more, so could I just avoid the one that has a ton of plants in it? Thanks!

Jasmine Hawkwhisper :D

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4118
Dovvy on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
So, if you only have to avoid the house to avoid needs (assuming you follow what others have said here already), does that mean you can't visit any house of your wizard, or just the one you have plants in? I have 3 houses and I'd like to visit one or more, so could I just avoid the one that has a ton of plants in it? Thanks!

Jasmine Hawkwhisper :D
Yes you can visit all your other houses, some people unequip their garden houses and set teleporters to go to/from them. That way you can teleport home to a different house freely without visiting your gardens and setting off needs.

Survivor
May 08, 2014
8
Couple Facts:
-If you take care of all your plants needs before you leave your castle, they will reach the next level of maturity and will NOT die no matter the length of time absent.
-They will NOT go from freshly planted to Elder while you are away.
-You MUST visit them to progress their stages.

Couple Important Side Notes:
-If you port back to your castle for one second just to check your bank, and you dont check your plants needs, they will Die if they go uncared for.
-If you left a friend at your castle after you took care of your plants needs then logged...your plants can get Needs while your friends visiting your castle, now your plants die and you dont know why.
-Certain houses (The Storm Castle) has dark skies...very difficult to see the black music note plant need against that background. if one plant gets it while im visiting, i will miss it 50% of the time.

Hope this helps.

Defender
Mar 13, 2014
151
My experience is plants don't develop needs unless I visit. But if you visit the house at all, wether you ever go near your plants or not, they will instantly have a chance of developing needs. And its not just the owner, any character in the house can trigger needs. I always keep my privacy settings on "limit home to friends" and usually set "allow friends to teleport" to "no" when visiting a garden house. If you want friends over for a party keep a separate house for that. The only real reason to allow a friend to come to a gardening house is if you have a friend who is genuinely interested in gardening and you want to show him some tricks of the trade. In that case the first thing you explain is the importance of restricting access so the plants don't develop needs unexpectedly.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4118
DanTheTerrible2 on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:
My experience is plants don't develop needs unless I visit. But if you visit the house at all, wether you ever go near your plants or not, they will instantly have a chance of developing needs. And its not just the owner, any character in the house can trigger needs. I always keep my privacy settings on "limit home to friends" and usually set "allow friends to teleport" to "no" when visiting a garden house. If you want friends over for a party keep a separate house for that. The only real reason to allow a friend to come to a gardening house is if you have a friend who is genuinely interested in gardening and you want to show him some tricks of the trade. In that case the first thing you explain is the importance of restricting access so the plants don't develop needs unexpectedly.
Amen to that. That's the issue these people are having. Keep your garden house separate from everything else and you won't ever have an issue. I keep my main houses set to either a house with stuff I want to share or just my crafting area in a dorm. I keep gardening to my red barn farms and just set teleport gates to them from my main homes. Simple, straight forward, I have access to my farms without HAVING to acces them by porting home.