Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No More Evil Magma Peas (EMP) Drops?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 07, 2013
Has anyone got an EMP drop from Avalon lately, if so what level are you at.

For the past few day I have been farming EMP's in Avalon with no luck. I am level 100, not sure if this matters or not.

In total over 70 duels won and zero EMP's to show for it. Either I am the unluckiest person in the world or something has changed in Wizard 101.

Jabberwock 30 duels won zero EMP's
Ricimer 23 duels won zero EMP's
Sir Terrence 10 won duels zero EMP's
Ogre 3 duels won zero EMP's
Calista 3 duels won zero EMP's
Viridian 1 duels won zero EMP's

Any info you have would be welcomed.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I haven't seen any in months. They have always been a very rare drop though.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I've only gotten a couple in all my time playing w101, they're very rare drops. Couch Potatoes are much more reliable drops, I have hundreds from farming Savarstaad Pass.

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
I have gotten 1 drop after farming for about 20 tries against ogre.

-The RavenCatcher

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
For almost 2 years, I have not gotten any EMP drops. Before that, it dropped more frequently and I was able to build the EMP gardens I have.

Couch Potatoes are great for the rank 9 snack, but it uses a large plot and you can't plant as many of them within the garden spell circles as you can with EMPs.

Explorer
Mar 26, 2011
I've been farming for a week now and no EMPs they always were rare drop though.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
For almost 2 years, I have not gotten any EMP drops. Before that, it dropped more frequently and I was able to build the EMP gardens I have.

Couch Potatoes are great for the rank 9 snack, but it uses a large plot and you can't plant as many of them within the garden spell circles as you can with EMPs.
I manage to fit 68 Couch Potatoes within the spell circle, which is pretty much the spell limit anyways regardless of size. It just takes creative plots.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2013
I agree Couch Potatoes are an easier seed to farm, both in drop rate and duel difficulty.

However as already said they take a large plot. Also they do not get to elder quite as quickly and they do not produce Mystic Dragon Fruit or Cherry Tomato snacks... which I like to have to round out my pets "Intellect" experience stat.

The good news is they can attract a pixie, get only level 1 pests and have one fewer needs then EMP.

At this point I have nothing else really to work on (unless a new world or dungeon comes out) and was going for the "perfect" garden.

But at 85 duels won (45 with Jabberwock) and not one EMP... I guess I need to reconsider a Couch Potato strategy. I am not willing to spend anymore crowns for EMP's. Even at half price during Earth Day, $6.25 per seed is pretty steep.

Thanks for the info. At least it is not just me noticing the change.

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012
My life wizard got two a couple of months ago from bosses in Avalon, but I don't remember exactly who. It was just regular questing, not farming.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2013
prairiefalcon on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
My life wizard got two a couple of months ago from bosses in Avalon, but I don't remember exactly who. It was just regular questing, not farming.
This is interesting! I wonder if the level of wizard effects the drop rate.

So far I would have to say the rate for a level 100 wizard is zero. 60 duels won against Jabberwock and zero EMP's to show for it. I did get some Angel Oak, Silver Trumpet Vines, Key Limes, and 3 or 4 White Tiger Lilies.

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
Lowegan on Jun 14, 2014 wrote:
This is interesting! I wonder if the level of wizard effects the drop rate.

So far I would have to say the rate for a level 100 wizard is zero. 60 duels won against Jabberwock and zero EMP's to show for it. I did get some Angel Oak, Silver Trumpet Vines, Key Limes, and 3 or 4 White Tiger Lilies.
UPDATE

I have gotten 1 on my death (lvl 100) and 2 on my girlfriend's account (level 74) during the course of maybe 40-50 tries (haven't kept an exact count)

-The RavenCatcher

Survivor
Jan 07, 2013
Sokad on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
UPDATE

I have gotten 1 on my death (lvl 100) and 2 on my girlfriend's account (level 74) during the course of maybe 40-50 tries (haven't kept an exact count)

-The RavenCatcher

Woot! I finally got one. From Ricimer Flavel.

116 duels won (of which 60 were against Jabberwock and 39 against Ricimer) and 1 EMP to show for it... but still at least it is possible .

Survivor
Jan 07, 2013
Update:

I have been hard at work battling Ricimer and have now fought and won 300 duels and have 6 EMP's for my trouble. So on average 1 EMP for every 50 duels won. Not a real effective rate for farming.

I have a level 100 life wizard with 86% life damage and 81% death resist and close to 400 critical. I lead off by using Goat Monk (with colossal) on the minion (if I critical I can take it out with one hit, if not a wand hit finishes it). Then add 3 or 4 blades and use Spinysaur on Ricimer. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes per round.

I have seen some posts about having better luck early in the week, something to do with crown items being replenished, but I have not seen that born out. Of course KI makes changes all the time. I think the drop rate was better a year or so ago, so maybe the crown item tie in was true back then as well.

I have noticed that if I "realm jump" the drop rate seems better. For the first part of the 300 duels I started up in whatever realm and stuck with it duel after duel. The last 100 duels I decided to switch realms every duel. I got 4 of my 6 EMPs in the last 100 (on average 1 EMP for 25 duels won). Also I got one today, Sunday, and one last Thursday... late in the week. This makes me doubt the crown item theory.

I hope this helps others wondering about the "mystical" EMP drop rate.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
Lowegan on Jul 13, 2014 wrote:
Update:

I have been hard at work battling Ricimer and have now fought and won 300 duels and have 6 EMP's for my trouble. So on average 1 EMP for every 50 duels won. Not a real effective rate for farming.

I have a level 100 life wizard with 86% life damage and 81% death resist and close to 400 critical. I lead off by using Goat Monk (with colossal) on the minion (if I critical I can take it out with one hit, if not a wand hit finishes it). Then add 3 or 4 blades and use Spinysaur on Ricimer. It takes about 4 or 5 minutes per round.

I have seen some posts about having better luck early in the week, something to do with crown items being replenished, but I have not seen that born out. Of course KI makes changes all the time. I think the drop rate was better a year or so ago, so maybe the crown item tie in was true back then as well.

I have noticed that if I "realm jump" the drop rate seems better. For the first part of the 300 duels I started up in whatever realm and stuck with it duel after duel. The last 100 duels I decided to switch realms every duel. I got 4 of my 6 EMPs in the last 100 (on average 1 EMP for 25 duels won). Also I got one today, Sunday, and one last Thursday... late in the week. This makes me doubt the crown item theory.

I hope this helps others wondering about the "mystical" EMP drop rate.
Awesome Info Thanks so much for sharing