Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Jewel Crafting Petition

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
I made a thread earlier in the Ravenwood Commons about Wizard101 being too luck based. Something that got many people to agree with me was the fact that crafting any sort of jewel, is too difficult. Allow me to explain. You buy a jewel recipe, say, 75-95 for example. The jewel you craft, may either be level 75, 85, or 95. Already, that is a 33% (1/3 chance) chance to get the right leveled jewel. Pretty narrow. Now not only that, but there are different shapes of jewels. Circle, Square, and Triangle seem to be the only ones you can craft. Another 33% (1/9 chance; 11.11%) chance to get the right jewel. On top of that, there are 3 different types boosts each jewel gives (flat damage, flat resist, a card, pierce, etc.) Each shape seems to give 3 types. Another 33% chance to get the jewel you want (1/27 chance; 3.7%). Now, in between that, there seems to be various kinds of that jewel. For example; Polished Defense Ruby + 42, Polished Defense Ruby +43, Polished Defense Ruby + 44, Polished Defense Ruby + 45. This makes the odds of crafting the right kind of jewel less than 1%. Really KI?

We need more options for jewel recipes. Please return the level specific jewels back, and label each kind. Recipes for "Triangle Citrine 95" for example or "Offensive Citrine 95" would make crafting jewels a lot easier, as many of the new reagents for crafting the jewels seem to be extremely difficult to get ahold of, and the chances are extremely slim. Please KI fix this.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Agreed 100%. Jewel recipes need to be more specific. An element of luck is one thing, but having 4 random elements in one thing that requires use of rare reagents is ridiculous. It's a RECIPE. I don't walk into the kitchen and follow a recipe for chicken soup to make a belgian waffle or strawberry cheescake.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
PvP King on Aug 13, 2015 wrote:
I made a thread earlier in the Ravenwood Commons about Wizard101 being too luck based. Something that got many people to agree with me was the fact that crafting any sort of jewel, is too difficult. Allow me to explain. You buy a jewel recipe, say, 75-95 for example. The jewel you craft, may either be level 75, 85, or 95. Already, that is a 33% (1/3 chance) chance to get the right leveled jewel. Pretty narrow. Now not only that, but there are different shapes of jewels. Circle, Square, and Triangle seem to be the only ones you can craft. Another 33% (1/9 chance; 11.11%) chance to get the right jewel. On top of that, there are 3 different types boosts each jewel gives (flat damage, flat resist, a card, pierce, etc.) Each shape seems to give 3 types. Another 33% chance to get the jewel you want (1/27 chance; 3.7%). Now, in between that, there seems to be various kinds of that jewel. For example; Polished Defense Ruby + 42, Polished Defense Ruby +43, Polished Defense Ruby + 44, Polished Defense Ruby + 45. This makes the odds of crafting the right kind of jewel less than 1%. Really KI?

We need more options for jewel recipes. Please return the level specific jewels back, and label each kind. Recipes for "Triangle Citrine 95" for example or "Offensive Citrine 95" would make crafting jewels a lot easier, as many of the new reagents for crafting the jewels seem to be extremely difficult to get ahold of, and the chances are extremely slim. Please KI fix this.
I'm with you 100% on this one. I've said in other posts that I don't even bother with jewel recipes for all of the reasons you state. I bought one recipe and tried it a few times with less than acceptable results and that was enough for me. When I can get much better jewels from farming why bother crafting? If there were exceptionally powerful jewels available it might be worthwhile to continue trying but with the low probability rates it just isn't worth the expenditure of rare reagents.
Honestly, I would even prefer a system where you could buy a specific jewel recipe, with no variables, and a guarantee that you would get the jewel you wanted -BUT- there was also a chance the recipe would completely fail. A crafting fizzle!
Considering some of the junk jewels I've gotten the times I did try to craft one, I'd almost prefer not to get anything at all. If the chance for failure was based in some way on crafting level it would be a more realistic representation of the way crafting should work. Like Seethe said, it's a recipe for something specific and it's tied to a specific crafting level. If you're a high enough level to purchase the recipe then you should be capable of crafting exactly what you're attempting to craft... with the occasional possibility of catastrophic failure which would then result in nothing. Pretty much like casting a spell, either it succeeds or you fizzle. If you attempt to cast a Meteor spell it works or you fizzle... but you'll never cast Firecat or Phoenix instead of Meteor. It just doesn't work that way. In the case of a crafting fizzle you would retain a random portion of the ingredients.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
"I don't walk into the kitchen and follow a recipe for chicken soup to make a Belgian waffle or strawberry cheesecake." - seethe42

LMAO. A priceless analogy.

Explorer
Oct 02, 2012
I like the fact that we have jewels. However, the way it was implemented has got to change. I am really upset I farmed for a few days for steel for a recipe only to get a completely useless jewel at the end of it. I want my steel back. I feel you are being stingy with the reagents to craft useless jewels to begin with. If we go to the trouble of farming incessantly for reagents, then we should be able to choose what we want to craft. If you insist on making it random than reagents should be much easier to find.
And do away with the shattering too thank you very much.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
While I still do try to craft jewels from time to time, I do agree that the chance to get what you want vs. the difficulty of collecting the reagents to perform that chance are both so low it's not even worth trying. But since I'm not getting what I want from drops anyways I figure what the heck. I agree this needs to be redone.

Defender
Oct 22, 2012
Adding to the why is this even a jewel a level 95 recipe can turn up. Why are spells like animate which is a level 28 spell a level 85 jewel which can be the result of a level 95 recipe. Or a trap spell a level 75 jewel which also can be the result of using the level 95 recipe.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
Completely agree. Jewel crafting is way too random and luck based. Think about it. You are CRAFTING your jewel. You are using reagents (much too rare ones) too build your jewel. You aren't going to gather a ton of wood and get a brick building as a result. The recipes should be much more specific to the individual jewel.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2013
Random low drop rate reagents, random level reagent drops, random outcomes from crafting for something that is considered temporary and .you may want to change. Then add when you do get one you can't later send the item to another wizard unless you go through that again.

Survivor
Dec 08, 2011
Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Signed.

I like the jewel addition to the game. However, crafting the jewels takes a few resources that are not very abundant. Adding in too wide a range of random selection to their crafting, it makes the process feel unreliable and not very enjoyable.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
Signed. I wonder how many signatures it would take to get it noticed.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
signed. agree completely. Seethe's analogy is perfect -- probably my favorite of all your posts (and I have seen a lot of them)!

Survivor
May 18, 2010
Go through all that trouble and then the gear becomes quickly outdated and all is lost.
Find better things to do with your time or we could all throw a giant shatter party one day.