Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crafted Gear should be the best available

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 31, 2009
11
Hello,

I would like to make a suggestion that crafted gear be made the top of the line gear, where all other gear bought, or recieved from drops would be under that.
Many people don't craft, and it seems to be a very big challenge to do so taking time and patients. Then you find out that your gear isn't as good as a dropped gear, or that purchased at the bazaar. I find this to be very irratating!
Maybe we could solve this by having a special crafted item, that you would craft the way you always do, but add to that crafting part that you have to farm for a certian item from a boss or dungeon.
I think this will allow those who take the time to craft to get rewarded. Most people seem to be able to get drops with no problem, by just returning with friends several times. That's not a bad idea, but I am not sure that it is worth giving the best gear to someone who just farms.
I would like to see a real challenge.
When I say farm and item for the crafting project, I think just getting one drop would be enough. No one wants to have to farm forever to get several items just for one crafted gear.

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
108
Healer495 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to make a suggestion that crafted gear be made the top of the line gear, where all other gear bought, or recieved from drops would be under that.
Many people don't craft, and it seems to be a very big challenge to do so taking time and patients. Then you find out that your gear isn't as good as a dropped gear, or that purchased at the bazaar. I find this to be very irratating!
Maybe we could solve this by having a special crafted item, that you would craft the way you always do, but add to that crafting part that you have to farm for a certian item from a boss or dungeon.
I think this will allow those who take the time to craft to get rewarded. Most people seem to be able to get drops with no problem, by just returning with friends several times. That's not a bad idea, but I am not sure that it is worth giving the best gear to someone who just farms.
I would like to see a real challenge.
When I say farm and item for the crafting project, I think just getting one drop would be enough. No one wants to have to farm forever to get several items just for one crafted gear.


there are already some instances of what you are describing, just look at the crafted wands you get in Celestia, or some of the Wintertusk crafted gear.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
723
I agree in part, crafting seems to have become an after thought when worlds are released-and then it becomes glitchy or they start halfing the requirements to placate the whiners-and then the gear you can craft is okay, not great. The big challenge appears to be a couple of houses-that I already crafted, or a few random high level items, after that there seems to be little point as farming, harvesting or buying reagents needed for a particular item cost more than merely buying the item itself. Personally I wish that crafting was more dynamic and allowed for really "craft only" items that were special to crafting itself. The few wands and such in CL and WT lag in comparison to crown items and most of the other gear is lacking since stats are woefully inadequate to time needed to make, compared to drop or crowns. Not saying all crafting gear should be "best" but something like augmentable "Legendary Artisan" gear would be a nice change.

Armiger
Mar 18, 2009
2381
JinZah wrote:
there are already some instances of what you are describing, just look at the crafted wands you get in Celestia, or some of the Wintertusk crafted gear.


True. But those weren't always like that. KI had to go back and revise them to make them better. However, I believe the intent of the original poster was that the Zafaria gear was the issue, not the other world's.

I agree, crafted should be the best in game with rare reageants being dropped by the best (hardest?) bosses in the game.

Followed by rare dropped gear from bosses.

Followed by Crowns gear that, while ranks third in terms of power behind Crafted and dropped, should be equipped at a lower level than them. Example level 68/70 type power, but equippable at level 60. That way there is incentive to buy and yet a reason to keep farming end game bosses with your Crowns gear (for the dropped gear or crafted reagents).

Finally followed by store bought gear (with gold).

The problem in all this is actually defining what's best. Everyone's opinion varies greatly on this topic

Mastermind
Sep 19, 2009
301
In my opinoin, gear droped from realy hard bosses should be the best and then crafted gear.

Defender
Aug 10, 2010
187
No, dropped gear should not be better than crafted gear. Any L60+ can go into the waterworks and farm gear. All you need to do is play the game and go into the dungeon when you are high enough level.

If, on the other hand, you suddenly decide you want the Sudrilund gear. You have to have done all of the non-required crafting up to Grandmaster Artisan, or go back and spend weeks farming reagents to complete all of the crafting assignments that you skipped because you didn't like crafting. Which brings me to another point, crafted gear should be "no auction / no trade". If you did all the crafting on Ice and now you want crafted gear for Storm, you should have to craft it on Storm.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2010
5
i have 3 accounts -18 wizards- the oldest 12 wizards all wear combo of wt and ww gear (includes rings and athanes), the new account - this one- have 4 so far with wt gear, mostly robe and hats, some have rings and athanes- the boots- i found won ones to be better so havent bothered. my girl fire on ishard cant wear hers yet - she is only level 45. my storm on this account makes everything, my account that has a fire grand master made the cards for it, i swap cards all the time between the 3 accounts for crafting purposes, that way i made balance and ice gear
the zf recipes- to me not worth it unless i planned to change clothes everytime i fought a different school boss, the ww and wt gear is usually block and resistance to all,
after making 3 grand master artisans on oldest account and 2 on the next , i realized, hey- why use up all my reagents doing the quests recipes when i can be making things
i made a cl house on 2 accounts, carousel, and as many household things as i liked, i have made 15? portals on those 2 accounts too
taking me forever but i only need 2 more wraith cards to make violin, storm making it for myth cl house
i agree with the initial topic - if we are gonna go thru all this trouble to craft- those items should be the best - in the case of wt they are- zf? nope wont buy one recipe

ok back to work here
keria of many legends and the kestrel mercs

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
272
Healer495 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to make a suggestion that crafted gear be made the top of the line gear, where all other gear bought, or recieved from drops would be under that.
Many people don't craft, and it seems to be a very big challenge to do so taking time and patients. Then you find out that your gear isn't as good as a dropped gear, or that purchased at the bazaar. I find this to be very irratating!
Maybe we could solve this by having a special crafted item, that you would craft the way you always do, but add to that crafting part that you have to farm for a certian item from a boss or dungeon.
I think this will allow those who take the time to craft to get rewarded. Most people seem to be able to get drops with no problem, by just returning with friends several times. That's not a bad idea, but I am not sure that it is worth giving the best gear to someone who just farms.
I would like to see a real challenge.
When I say farm and item for the crafting project, I think just getting one drop would be enough. No one wants to have to farm forever to get several items just for one crafted gear.


Well the new Zafaria Crafting gear is the best ONLY for Ice... Over-rated resistance and high critical rating...

If Ice was going to get more Critical, then at least lower down their resistance right?

Explorer
Aug 21, 2009
68
I agree with you. Crafting requires patience, determination and hard work. Not everyone crafts and the Crafted Gear should be the best in the Spiral. Not to mention that it also costs a lot of money because the recipe might cost 7 thousand gold but getting the reagents adds up to at least 50 thousand or more.

Defender
Jan 20, 2010
108
kingurz wrote:
JinZah wrote:
there are already some instances of what you are describing, just look at the crafted wands you get in Celestia, or some of the Wintertusk crafted gear.


True. But those weren't always like that. KI had to go back and revise them to make them better. However, I believe the intent of the original poster was that the Zafaria gear was the issue, not the other world's.


Every stitch of gear from Zafaria is sub-par compared to lower level counterparts, but that's another topic.

Champion
May 03, 2011
447
crafted gear should be "no auction / no trade". If you did all the crafting on Ice and now you want crafted gear for Storm, you should have to craft it on Storm.

While I agree wholeheartedly with the OP's point--crafted gear should be the best in the game, or at least equal to the gear dropped in hard dungeons such as Waterworks--I disagree strongly with the suggestion above. It takes a long time, and weeks of wandering the Spiral, to get enough reagents to become a Legendary Artisan. I have one, only, and she crafts for the other high-level characters. If I had to level every character to Legendary Artisan, I would have no time to play the game. Crafting is fun for me because I don't have to spend all my time earning the badges--I can get right to gear-crafting itself. My chief crafter made a Watchtower Hall, and I agree that crafted houses shouldn't be traded. If I want a house for the others, I should have to level them up. But good gear is vital to the enjoyment of the game. And like many adults, I don't have hours of free time to run Waterworks repeatedly in hopes of getting gear drops. Crafting allows me to have decent gear, given my time limitations.

On the subject of crafted ZF gear, I made two sets, one for my Myth and one for my Death. It's good, but the power pips are insanely low, given the rank-9 spells we now have. I wouldn't have crafted it at all, were it not for the fact that Critical and Block were reduced significantly in ZF. My crafted WT gear was great in CL, but I was getting hit repeatedly with unblocked Criticals in ZF. I had to make the gear for that reason, but I still carry both sets because of the poor power pip percentage on the new stuff. Considering the time and trouble it took to make it, it should have been better. I do agree with that.

Delver
Aug 15, 2009
272