Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Frustration

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 05, 2009
I have played this game for a while now and have enjoyed the schools I have gotten to Legendary which is 5 of them. My grandson started a fire school with storm as secondary school on my account and played for a while up to Krokotopia. He became frustrated at fizzling all the time and dying because the monsters continued to hit him as they rarely fizzled. I started to play his character as I hate to quit on something so I leveled him to celestia. That is where my frustration and discouragement got too much tonight. I have used henchmen and minions during fights in early celestia and die many times because the monsters are getting criticals on me after they promptly kill my henchman. Its hard to get a crit when both monsters hit me with them because I can't cast due to fizzling 3 times in a row. I know some will say to get better gear, delete this character, or tell me they loved fire school and found it not hard at all. Well to this I say I have the gear to get crits, I hate to quit something I start, and I have my moments of fun with fire school but tonight I entered a fight to have them kill my henchman not once but twice and me in one fight. I came back and it was a repeat of my fizzling 2 and 3 times in a row and them getting criticals on me and my minions. Maybe it's time for a break? I am done venting for now

Survivor
Aug 17, 2009
Juddara wrote:
I have played this game for a while now and have enjoyed the schools I have gotten to Legendary which is 5 of them. My grandson started a fire school with storm as secondary school on my account and played for a while up to Krokotopia. He became frustrated at fizzling all the time and dying because the monsters continued to hit him as they rarely fizzled. I started to play his character as I hate to quit on something so I leveled him to celestia. That is where my frustration and discouragement got too much tonight. I have used henchmen and minions during fights in early celestia and die many times because the monsters are getting criticals on me after they promptly kill my henchman. Its hard to get a crit when both monsters hit me with them because I can't cast due to fizzling 3 times in a row. I know some will say to get better gear, delete this character, or tell me they loved fire school and found it not hard at all. Well to this I say I have the gear to get crits, I hate to quit something I start, and I have my moments of fun with fire school but tonight I entered a fight to have them kill my henchman not once but twice and me in one fight. I came back and it was a repeat of my fizzling 2 and 3 times in a row and them getting criticals on me and my minions. Maybe it's time for a break? I am done venting for now

Ya, this would be a problem but I wouldnt know, I crafted my tunic and my hat. Those compined with my other gear gave me a 24% Accuracy boost. (Strongest fire spells only have a 1% chance of fizzle others CANT fizzle unless weakend :D) Anyone who wants to know I crafted the "Blazing Bolts" set, but I didnt like the shoes so I didnt craft them. (You:) Kjensen, were do I find the recipes? (Me:) One of them comes from one of the imprisoned divers in The Grotto, the other is in the first room of the Science Center. Hope this helps atleast someone.

Cody RedFlame
Level 60 Fire Wizard

Explorer
Jul 26, 2009
I have a fire wizard who is now legendary who does fizzle some but no where as much as you are talking about. To be honest looks like you need to get some new gear that has casting percentage boosts on them, because if you dont you will continue to have this problem.

Suggestion go to bazaar and look there.

Hero
May 27, 2009
Sounds like the Fire School is requiring a totally different style of play than you are used to. You can't depend on criticals to save you - you need to learn to work with your Fire Minion, which will take some of the heat off you and your henchmen. Don't worry about gear that gives you critical hits, go for gear with accuracy boosts. Utilize the damage over time spells that Fire does so well. Celestia does require a wizard to shield more than any other world, so invest in some of those.

I don't like to quit on something like this either, I'd rather figure it out and get through it. Good Luck on your Fire journey.

Historian
May 01, 2010
to tell the truth i didnt take off my lvl 45 stuff till i got to 56 i think back to the topic sounds to me like you were having a bad day. btw the fire school is more about hammering away at health then chiping at whats left(use a dragon with elemental blade and fire blade really helps) but as previously stated fire has a different style then the rest of the schools, practice makes you better. also on the fizzle part try getting some treasure presition (sry for spelling) which is balance

Best of luck
Scot Soulhammer-Legendary Pyromancer

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I'm having the opposite experience with my pyromancer in Celestia. She's having a blast, and a relatively easy time, compared to that of my theurgist and sorceress.

Train sun and star school for accuracy boosts. I use keen eyes and the accuracy bubble to offset fizzles. My gear is set to optimize critical hits, and I also trained life up to satyr so that I can take hit after hit in the early rounds of a fight, and then WIN :)

One other note, fire IS very different from the other schools of magic I have learned. It took me a while to learn to appreciate the slow burn of damage-over-time spells. Now, I think my pyromancer is the strongest of my 6 wizards, including balance.

Happy Questing,

Scarlet Ravensong, Grandmaster Pyromanceress and Artisan

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

I just reached Celestia today, and died within 2 rounds of a boss fight because they went critical on me with an instant 3 power pips, Ice Kraken, and Colossus.

I had no way ofeven healing myself from that.

Is my only choice to level my crafting for crafted armor? Really? I don't keep a huge friend list, and I do not consider having to call friends for every single fight a good way to spend time in Wizard101. Especially since it was not created to be that way in the first place.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Okay, while I haven't gotten all 7 schools through yet, I haven't found it as much trouble as some. Yes, I do tend to solo, but agree there are 8-10 bosses you need help on, either friends or henchmen.

Some things I have found:
1) Don't rush CL, finish all your sidequests in previous worlds, or most of them, and come to CL at level 52. Buy the level 50 star spell, even -15% is a lot. Towers are great also.
2) Try to avoid armor that is too specific (ie, resistance vs your school only). Instead get more general.
3) Early on, push your power pips so you can quick kill with any school.
4) What ever you do, if you are in sun position, allow others to attack first to draw attacks.
5) At level 55, craft your gear to provide block, or get such gear from vendors.
6) If you are of a school that relies on quick kills (storm and fire) you need to rethink things and modify, as you will rarely be able to kill first.

On a side note, I have noticed that some combos of schools can come back and bite you. Two low % casting schools is not a good idea unless you take care to boost the casting % (level 55 gear takes care of this problem). My fire/ice/death didn't seem to have problems, and my death (only one school) also didn't seem to have a problem.