Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Difficult vs. Impossibility

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
I am a solo player, primarily because there are a lot of children that play, and without knowing their parents, I prefer to play alone. The new realm makes this a complete impossibility. The monsters have too many buffs, too much life, too many critical hits etc. The realm is most definitely designed in favor of the monsters. I have had to fight my way through this game in some very tight situations. For example, I have fought my way through every boss, solo. The only times I haven't, are when I was called upon to help others.

These monsters are not even bosses, however, fighting them are far more difficult than ANY boss I have faced in this game so far, in fact, I find soloing the bosses here actually a bit easier than the regular creatures in game. I have tried with both my old gear from previous realms, as well as the "new" gear designed for this realm. What I have found are several things: 1. that the new gear is utter hog swallow, and does absolutely no good, not for either the crit chance, or the so called defense. 2. I have watched monsters crit non-stop, while I have yet to see any player crit. 3. The changes to storm's ability where it is either 10, 100 or 1000 damage, hits most often at 10 and 100 on players side, but the monsters hit at 1000+ every single use of that same spell. 4. the new gear have lower life, are, no crit chance etc, so with all that you have given to the monsters for buffs/boosts and advantages, the player has no chance whatsoever unless fighting in a full team, and even then it is highly debatable.

Nonetheless, there need to be changes to this realm in order to make it more fair play for those of us that ARE playing, since we are also paying, because I for one am nearly at the point that I will delete my account, cancel my subscription etc, whereas before I had planned on other accounts in order to train every class. The game has ceased having any aspect of fun or entertainment, and has become more of a source of infinite frustration. I don't mind difficulty in a game, but one thing I DO mind very much is impossibility and this has definitely crossed that line.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
zeffyra wrote:
I am a solo player, primarily because there are a lot of children that play, and without knowing their parents, I prefer to play alone. The new realm makes this a complete impossibility. The monsters have too many buffs, too much life, too many critical hits etc. The realm is most definitely designed in favor of the monsters. I have had to fight my way through this game in some very tight situations. For example, I have fought my way through every boss, solo. The only times I haven't, are when I was called upon to help others.

These monsters are not even bosses, however, fighting them are far more difficult than ANY boss I have faced in this game so far, in fact, I find soloing the bosses here actually a bit easier than the regular creatures in game. I have tried with both my old gear from previous realms, as well as the "new" gear designed for this realm. What I have found are several things: 1. that the new gear is utter hog swallow, and does absolutely no good, not for either the crit chance, or the so called defense. 2. I have watched monsters crit non-stop, while I have yet to see any player crit. 3. The changes to storm's ability where it is either 10, 100 or 1000 damage, hits most often at 10 and 100 on players side, but the monsters hit at 1000+ every single use of that same spell. 4. the new gear have lower life, are, no crit chance etc, so with all that you have given to the monsters for buffs/boosts and advantages, the player has no chance whatsoever unless fighting in a full team, and even then it is highly debatable.

Nonetheless, there need to be changes to this realm in order to make it more fair play for those of us that ARE playing, since we are also paying, because I for one am nearly at the point that I will delete my account, cancel my subscription etc, whereas before I had planned on other accounts in order to train every class. The game has ceased having any aspect of fun or entertainment, and has become more of a source of infinite frustration. I don't mind difficulty in a game, but one thing I DO mind very much is impossibility and this has definitely crossed that line.

Hey zeffyra. I understand your frustration, particularly with the ice monsters. However, I did beat test realm almost entirely solo (I needed help with hexfin, but I think that's because of a bug with prisms and damage over time spells). I've been hit by wild bolt in the new live Celestia about 20 times now, and its only been 1000 twice. I just want you to know that it can be done and that it sounds like you're just having a run of bad luck. Personally, I love Celestia. However, I agree that they haven't gotten the balance of power with bosses and street monsters down. Defeating waverunners and piscean soldiers are two of the most difficult tasks in Celestia, and they come early.

I hope this gives you a bit of a life line, cause I have played a lot of games where I feel the way you are describing and that can really be frustrating. If I can help in any way, just let me know. I'd be happy to offer suggestions, or even meet up with you and help with some of the more annoying quests. Just let me know.

Survivor
May 30, 2010
I have to echo the OPs sentiments, but I appreciate gtarhannon's encouragement. I want to like Celestia, and I want to continue to enjoy W101 (along with my 8yo).

I also want to solo if my son's not along (and he can't get to Cel. yet). I have real friends. I do not need 'forced socialization'. Most of the other players I've encountered in Cel. have been rather unpleasant, arrogant people. This gives me even less desire to team with them and be forced to listen to their constant criticism of everyone else's tactics.

KI has shown that they don't give alot of weight to customer input. They seem to have a "we know what's best for you" attitude. That's fine. I have an "I know what's best for my entertainment dollar" attitude. Putting me in situations that are constantly frustrating and irritating isn't the best for me or KI's corporate wallet.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2009
cotguy130 wrote:
I have to echo the OPs sentiments, but I appreciate gtarhannon's encouragement. I want to like Celestia, and I want to continue to enjoy W101 (along with my 8yo).

I also want to solo if my son's not along (and he can't get to Cel. yet). I have real friends. I do not need 'forced socialization'. Most of the other players I've encountered in Cel. have been rather unpleasant, arrogant people. This gives me even less desire to team with them and be forced to listen to their constant criticism of everyone else's tactics.

KI has shown that they don't give alot of weight to customer input. They seem to have a "we know what's best for you" attitude. That's fine. I have an "I know what's best for my entertainment dollar" attitude. Putting me in situations that are constantly frustrating and irritating isn't the best for me or KI's corporate wallet.

Wow I think you hite the nail on the head with this. You are so correct in this statement not much more could be said. I am a storm grand and have used bolt and hit WOW at 14 but yet they bolt back and hit me at 1629. Where are the odds to this? I have 3 active accounts and if something does not change KI's wallet will feel my frustration in Feb.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
I must be to old or just really into any type of video game because I find Celestia quite fun. Yes it is challenging, but if you are playing solo you only have to fight 2 minions at a time. What is so hard about that? I have noticed people mess around to much and therefore take more hits which in this level you can't afford to do. If people would just shield themselves and attack quicker they would not have any issues. Granted the balance minions/bosses are a little tougher unless you have a tower shield or some sort of resistance because they play Judgement all the time, but even with that you can still beat them if you play smart. I don't know I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I find it quite refreshing that the monsters play like people do and actually attack with big spells instead of playing a firecat when they have 9 pips. Now that is dumb. Plus have you noticed that they only play big spells from their school? That makes it even easier. You don't have to worry about a Storm monster with 8 pips playing a Helephant because I have yet to see it happen. Anyway it's your money do what you want. :D

Geographer
Feb 14, 2009
If I can solo it, you can too. You are only speaking from low level gear, as you go higher you critical more. And all you have to do is buy some shoes to critical resist. And no the bolts for monters doesnt do 1000 all the time.
(Critisize someone you get it too)
I think you're just a bad player truthfully because many people have been doing fine with the new changes. ADAPT and you shall succed

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
cotguy130 wrote:

I love your statement "forced socialization". I had to remove three "friends" yesterday and deactivate my port because they would not leave me alone and when I menu chatted that I was busy fighting they ported right on in, and then fled. Yippee?

As to the customer input-I have to agree. My son is a storm wizard, and is in Moo Shu. He cast wild bolt 3 times in a row, and got 11, 14, 11 respectively. He cast it once more, because he has hope, and got 815. Um. I don't even understand that math. There was an overwhelming negative response to changing wild bolt, but KI did it anyway.

Celestia is crazy, but not because of the difficulty. It's crazy because I really believe it is coded to force you to purchase crowns. Again, I agree with you that this is a not good business by KI, and I will cancel my subscription next spring if something is not changed. I can fight NPC's, I can fight bosses, and so can my son. What I can't do is buy $300 in crowns when we have bills to pay. Crowns items should be available for gold as well. Click the "BUY" icon, and if you want to buy a henchmen or a potion, you should have the option of using crowns or gold. And with such a low quest item drop rate in Celestia, and the sheer number of NPC's we have to kill just to receive one item, we have a lot of useless equipment to sell, and are making a ton of gold, so we could afford to use gold rather than crowns. KI needs to actually listen to the people who put money in their pockets-the parents with the credit cards.

Erin Ice Weaver
Grand Master Ice
Level 55

Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
cotguy130 wrote:
I do not need 'forced socialization'. Most of the other players I've encountered in Cel. have been rather unpleasant, arrogant people. This gives me even less desire to team with them and be forced to listen to their constant criticism of everyone else's tactics.

I agree and it's not just in Celestia. The difference is that in the other worlds I could go solo, in most cases, and ignore the nonsense. With CL, now I either have to try to team with these unpleasant people or die. Not good at all.

cotguy130 wrote:
Putting me in situations that are constantly frustrating and irritating isn't the best for me or KI's corporate wallet.

I agree. I'm not far away from canceling my subscription and my son's too. I was planning on buying the new $39 GameStop card and more ingame stuff for him for Christmas but I may have to find a different, more customer/user friendly, game to steer him towards now. It's sad really because we enjoyed playing the game but now, a lot of the fun has become frustration.

Explorer
Jul 17, 2009
bgmacaw wrote:
cotguy130 wrote:
I do not need 'forced socialization'. Most of the other players I've encountered in Cel. have been rather unpleasant, arrogant people. This gives me even less desire to team with them and be forced to listen to their constant criticism of everyone else's tactics.

I agree and it's not just in Celestia. The difference is that in the other worlds I could go solo, in most cases, and ignore the nonsense. With CL, now I either have to try to team with these unpleasant people or die. Not good at all.

cotguy130 wrote:
Putting me in situations that are constantly frustrating and irritating isn't the best for me or KI's corporate wallet.

I agree. I'm not far away from canceling my subscription and my son's too. I was planning on buying the new $39 GameStop card and more ingame stuff for him for Christmas but I may have to find a different, more customer/user friendly, game to steer him towards now. It's sad really because we enjoyed playing the game but now, a lot of the fun has become frustration.

I agree as well. Glad I didn't go buy the card. Thinking of deleting 3 of my 4 accounts. Like a response I saw on another board.....I'll go back and be happy fighting rattlebones and when I tire of that just quit altogether.

I'm not a very skilled player to begin with and I don't need constant criticism of my playing skills. Constructive would be one thing but not putting someone down.

I don't need to be "forced" to interact with others. I have enough problems in real life dealing with that lol. After working with the public all day the last thing I want to do is interact with more on an online game that used to be able to relax me and allow me to deal with real life frustration.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
A couple of things, I've been gaming since home computers first came out (not to give away my age). So the whole "not and experienced gamer" sentiment does not fly with me.

Also, when I fight monsters, and directly before an attack when they have first hit, and just seem to know exactly which one of them I am targeting and they shield right before, it makes the hit incredibly ineffectual. As well as the fact that whether I am fighting 2 or more monsters at a time, it is very ridiculous to me when they critical 3 times in a row (or more). I have seen player criticals a handful of times, in fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen them hit. As to the one that said he played test server. Well that's awesome, and I'm happy for you. Perhaps proper input from those of you that did would have been warranted in that case. From the others that have played it, they infer that the cross over from test to server was changed. The difficulty etc. And the sharks are NOT the only improperly weighted monsters in game.

Dying every 5 minutes and needing to fill my life back up from zero isn't exactly my idea of fun because of monsters that constantly have an endless hand of guards, and use them directly prior to an attack. I've tried differing tactics as well as equipment, and the result is typically the same. This is highly dependent on the monster of course, because some of them have been weighted a little more fairly than others. But when they have no buffs on themselves or on me and hit me for over 2k damage, I find that exceedingly annoying.

As to the comment that equipment is better the higher your level, I'm nearly level 56 as it is, at what level does this get better? 60? Also, as previously stated, I don't mind a challenge, I've died in the past, and that's not the annoyance, because I expect it when I solo a game geared toward primarily teamed play, but I also chose a class that typically solos for that reason. If it takes me 2 or 3 deaths to master a boss fight, I'm fine with that, because I am soloing. Typically it doesn't, in fact, I have yet to die when facing any boss in celestia, and I have solo'd them all. It's the mercenaries, etc that constantly shield and yet, even though that's all they cast they take inordinate amounts of life off you, over properly casting buffs to themselves and boosts on you in order to do this, that is the annoyance. When I speak on things, it is not just what I am seeing my character do, but also what I am noticing from other people's characters. I am not a storm, but I have watched that class primarily for the reason of some of their attack changes. And I do compare how often they do damage, with the same spells the monsters in that class use, and I simply state the findings. So when you're responding to others, ask yourself, is this someone that is an experienced gamer (in my case, obviously the answer is yes). And also, when I report what I am seeing, ask yourself this, have you been as astute when you are watching the game, whether you're doing a test realm or otherwise, because THIS is the input they needed while DOING the test realm. Frankly, if you were not astute, and did not break down the statistics for them from what you saw and experienced, then that is one of the primary culprits as to why the game has gotten worse, and this realm is improperly weighted. When you play, whether alone or with others, take note as to what is being cast and the damage is does from both sides.

*edited by a moderator in part to remove inappropriate drug reference - please remember these are message boards for all ages*

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
Personally, I think the 'difficulty' went through to the live game because of the fact most testers used the free Crowns to buy elixirs.
I also agree that this may be a way to boost Crown sales, but I could be off-base there. At least I dearly hope so.

I agree completely that this is now far more frustration than fun. I'm sure something is going to give here when more players hit Celestia and fill this board top to bottom with complaints.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Hey Zeffyra. I'm the one that talked about test realm. I did report my findings and as I stated, I don't think they got all the balance right. I do pay attention to all my statistics as well as the people around me (do you?) but mostly, I don't understand why your tone with me is so hostile. I was trying to be encouraging and even offered to help. If you're really this frustrated and sour, just stop playing.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2008
Xyzzy.

I know that KI knows what game balance is and how to do it, because when this game came out of beta they had done it so beautifully and it worked so well. What we're seeing here with Celestia is not even close.

I used to love this game when it was the casual game they introduced it as; now it feels like a really bad expensive joke and the joke's on us. The balance feels really off, every created obstacle has a way to buy crowns to fix it, and you have to put up with a lot of leeching if you want to get anything done. If it were just that there was something that I didn't understand or haven't yet figured out, that would be one thing. But no one really seems to really understand it. Much like the Pet Pavilion.

I tried to do my part in Test to analyze and give feedback on the game's overall difficulty and playability, and gave them my feedback. They don't seem to see it the way that some of us do, so I guess this is what we can expect now on from KI games. Soloing in peace is a thing of the past, and everything I loved about this game seems to be fading away, with something unrecognizable left in its place.

It's really sad to see something with such promise lose its way like this. I love this game, and I've really tried to make it work. I don't think I'm the kind of player they want, from the choices I've seen them make with the direction they've continued to take.

It seems pretty clear that it's not going to get any better if this is how things are going to be done. Their artists, writers, programmers, voice actors, sound engineers - their whole team is amazing. Which makes it all the more tragic that the balance here can be so wrong, and render it all undone.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
I agree at sometimes the bosses/monsters are tough but they can be beaten! People quit complaining about how hard they are, if you need help just ask a friend to help if none are on then just hire like one or too henchman A level 60 henchman only costs 50 crowns i find cl extremly fun even enough i have fought some really hard monsters/bosses. Such as this one boss with 15,000 something health with a storm minion! It was a fire only quest but yet i beat it with just 2 henchmans I mean not everything in life is suppose to be easy, just dont give up

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
peacehitball wrote:
I agree at sometimes the bosses/monsters are tough but they can be beaten! People quit complaining about how hard they are, if you need help just ask a friend to help if none are on then just hire like one or too henchman A level 60 henchman only costs 50 crowns i find cl extremly fun even enough i have fought some really hard monsters/bosses. Such as this one boss with 15,000 something health with a storm minion! It was a fire only quest but yet i beat it with just 2 henchmans I mean not everything in life is suppose to be easy, just dont give up

Only. Only 50 crowns per henchman, only 900 crowns for a potion, only. That adds up, especially if you are an adult, with bills to pay. I am noticing more and more parents leaving messages on the board about Celestia seeming like a giant money making scheme for KI. It saddens me to think we are all on to something. This has nothing to do with the difficulty of Celestia. I think it's a gorgeous world-the graphics are very impressive, and I welcome newer, more challenging NPC's. The issue is that nothing in Celestia can be done without crowns, including getting there in the first place. Between the drop rate (ugh), the fact that most of the time, you are solo, and the difficulty of the NPC's, KI has forced a lot of parents' hands with this world. I told my son that we are cancelling our subscription and while he was upset, when I explained why, he understood. I would prefer to pay the bills than give more money to KI, and since they have coded Celestia to be a crowns only world, I don't see that I have a choice but to cancel our subscription.

I realize that many young people play this game, and I also realize that most kids don't really understand economics. That is not an insult-find me an 8 year old who can balance a checkbook. My point is that kids don't really grasp the issues that parents are having with Celestia. We are accused of being "wimps" and "whining". The strongest people in the world are parents, and one of our duties is to teach our children right from wrong. It is wrong for KI to advertise this game as free to play. It is wrong for KI to code an entire world a very specific way just to turn a profit. And it is wrong for KI to claim to listen to its' player base, then ignore them. My son even gets this-he asked me the other day how Wizard101 can be free to play if you need crowns to get anywhere, or you have to buy a subscription. Out of the mouths of children, to paraphrase.

A very disappointed parent.

Survivor
May 07, 2010
peacehitball wrote:

I view the purpose of crowns as mainly to buy vanity objects such as houses, costumes and pets. NOT as a means to survive against enemies via crown potions/minions. That defeats the purpose of the game. Believe me those minions add up fast when you need them for every boss fight in the zone.

Once my crown nest egg runs out, I'll be shelving the game for awhile.

Champion
Jan 27, 2009
Ok guys stop complaining about it being impossible to solo. I'm storm, STORM! You know? with very low health, and i was able to solo 95% percent of celestia. Why would i solo? Because i beat celestia 5 days after it came out on live, there weren't many others moving at that pace. Here are some spells i suggest, SHIELDS! and the treant transformation from the secret trainer in stormriven, GOOD LUCK

Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
kaskait wrote:
peacehitball wrote:

I view the purpose of crowns as mainly to buy vanity objects such as houses, costumes and pets. NOT as a means to survive against enemies via crown potions/minions. That defeats the purpose of the game. Believe me those minions add up fast when you need them for every boss fight in the zone.

I agree with you. but you start of in the game with 75 crowns which means you can just get a level 60 henchman for free. I also dont think you really need a henchman unless you are doing the level 58 quest. Plus i srsly dont think you need to be using them for every boss. Ask a friend for help if you need help on the bosses

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
this thing is to hard, i cant get levy i have died 4 times now and it is impossible to solo they need to change it. NOW

Survivor
May 07, 2010
thunderbird120 wrote:
Ok guys stop complaining about it being impossible to solo. I'm storm, STORM! You know? with very low health, and i was able to solo 95% percent of celestia. Why would i solo? Because i beat celestia 5 days after it came out on live, there weren't many others moving at that pace. Here are some spells i suggest, SHIELDS! and the treant transformation from the secret trainer in stormriven, GOOD LUCK

I use shields. I've even sacrificed training points for my secondary school to buy shields for classes I didn't have in my main/secondary.

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't help. Not if a player is dealt a bad hand and the shields don't show up for play.

Tell me, while you were soloing did you do what I see other Storm players doing now? Jumping into fights, letting the first player who started the fight take all the hits from their enemies and the ones you added to the fight? All the while neglecting to shield them while you built up for Storm Lord.

Yeah, Celestia is a breeze when you do that. As a Fire wizard, I could be a heel and play like that too. But I don't.

Survivor
May 07, 2010
peacehitball wrote:
kaskait wrote:
peacehitball wrote:

I agree with you. but you start of in the game with 75 crowns which means you can just get a level 60 henchman for free. I also dont think you really need a henchman unless you are doing the level 58 quest. Plus i srsly dont think you need to be using them for every boss. Ask a friend for help if you need help on the bosses

I don't use henchman on every fight or every boss. But they shouldn't be needed ever. And gimping former end level gear that players worked hard to receive from Malistaire in preparation for Celestia is just poor, poor form. That angers me the most.

Defender
Jun 03, 2009
thunderbird120 wrote:
wow congrats on making level 60 if thats true.
I will NOT be playing my storm there or any of my other wizards for some time sisnce KI has once again decided they would ranther make another MONEY pit like the pet pavillion and call it this new world of Clelestia.
I have shields so don't go there I know how to fight if its balanced and fair.
I have 5 grandmasters and do not plan to go back to CL any time soon when this sub is up I may not renew it. I already stopped paying on my other account whats it going to take KI huh Have the meeting that needs to happen and fix this new world or lose your paying base customers.

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
linny913 wrote:
bgmacaw wrote:
cotguy130 wrote:

cotguy130 wrote:

I agree as well. Glad I didn't go buy the card. Thinking of deleting 3 of my 4 accounts. Like a response I saw on another board.....I'll go back and be happy fighting rattlebones and when I tire of that just quit altogether.

I'm not a very skilled player to begin with and I don't need constant criticism of my playing skills. Constructive would be one thing but not putting someone down.

I don't need to be "forced" to interact with others. I have enough problems in real life dealing with that lol. After working with the public all day the last thing I want to do is interact with more on an online game that used to be able to relax me and allow me to deal with real life frustration.

This isn't meant to be rude or disrespectful, but I am confused to why you are playing this game. It's whole premise is built on socialization. If you don't want to be around people that why play a game that requires you to play with people? I am a solo player too, but I know that this game is designed to play with others.

Regarding the challenges of the game, I am having difficulties with soloing as well. I enjoy challenges and am glad that KI did make this world such, but some of the street monsters are a little over powering. It can be a little frustrating, but I just ask for help when needed. There is no shame in that.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2010
thunderbird120 wrote:

95% is still not all.

Acastus Hexfin has 2 minions so they outnumber your pips 3 to 1. 3 Frostzillas on the first round and your dead. One shield against 3 attacks, with a chance of them doing Frostbite and crit. With storm lord you can kill his minions in min. 3 turns, by that time you've taken over 10 power pips worth of damage.

And Glauco has another boss with him, both having about 6.5k health. If another friend is with you 2 angler goons will appear, and all 4 will join even if only 1 player has entered battle.

And another thing about ice enemies in Celestia.
High health + tower shield + shield-breaking frostbite + storm mutations with high damage + blades and traps with high % = Totally WAY overpowered

Survivor
May 30, 2010

This isn't meant to be rude or disrespectful, but I am confused to why you are playing this game. It's whole premise is built on socialization. If you don't want to be around people that why play a game that requires you to play with people? I am a solo player too, but I know that this game is designed to play with others.

Regarding the challenges of the game, I am having difficulties with soloing as well. I enjoy challenges and am glad that KI did make this world such, but some of the street monsters are a little over powering. It can be a little frustrating, but I just ask for help when needed. There is no shame in that.

I'm not around other people playing this game. My little animated avatar is around other little amimated avatars of people sitting somewhere else playing this game. These kinds of games actually limit socialization in some people. It's fairly evident in W101. I'm willing to bet that most of the rudeness and arrogance on many of the players parts comes from the fact that they never have to really face the people at whom they're being jerks.
Then again, some people are just jerks.

It doesn't matter to me about how the other players act ultimately. Everybody could be little rays of happy sunshine and I would still want the ability to play this by myself. I don't need this game to make friends like some do. I want to walk my little animated avatar through this virtual world by myself and have adventures. If I leave this game because I can't solo it has nothing to do with any "shame" I feel over asking for help. It's because KI shouldn't create a situation where I have to.