Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Xibalba - when challenging becomes abusive

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
4
I waited several weeks to complete Xialba. And ended up playing with some gifted gamers who were not in my friends list at the time... It was difficult , but not with them. It was not an area to play alone or with minions.. Believe me I tried. So, yes, it was difficult but not impossible with the right team-mates.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
776
I soloed almost the entire 2nd arc no problem. Including almost every dungeon.
- no henchmen - ever!
- no crown gear - ever!
- no perfect pet - ever!
- no special elixers - ever!

Final Dungeon of Pitch Black Lake
- Difficulty is a significant step-up. Compared to neighboring dungeons and mobs this is different. Challenging, tough, a single good friend makes it okay.

Twin Giants
- Some of the mini dungeons are challenging, but again some are vastly more difficult than surrounding area and street mobs. Challenging, tough, a single good friend makes it okay.

Xibalba
- Radical change in difficulty and time commitment. By far the biggest jump I have seen in the game. This will obvioiusly need to be nerfed when the next world is released, otherwise far too many players will not be able to enter the new world. Sure some people can do it solo (with awsome prep, strategy, and 4+ uninterupted hours). And you can do it with a team if you have a group of willing level 80+ good friends.

I expect less than 5% of gamers that enter Celestia will ever complete the current Xibalba.
--> Perhaps much lower.

Happy Wizarding!

Survivor
Mar 14, 2010
4
Agree with sentiments of frustration posted on this thread, twin giants and many Azteca bosses in general are way too hard to solo. It used to be enough to buy a bunch of treasure card shields against school of the boss you fought, but now that usually doesn't cut it. You have to go in with friends or wait for someone to wander along. Soloing bosses is crazy hard in Azteca.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2011
1
I am a level 90 fire and i have gone through twice with groups and Malistairewas amunne to every spell we cast at him how do you beat him?

Explorer
Feb 06, 2010
98
xialiba on May 20, 2013 wrote:
I am a level 90 fire and i have gone through twice with groups and Malistairewas amunne to every spell we cast at him how do you beat him?
To beat him, you have to kill the other bosses, you can't do any damage to him. Then once they're dead, the battle's over; so you don't actually kill Malistaire himself.

Defender
Apr 22, 2012
114
gemstone2006 on Mar 10, 2013 wrote:
Just completed the Xibalba quest that completes the Azteca world in the spiral. I have to say that this sequence went far beyond being challenging - it was abusive. As a single player (Life School) it took over 6 hours to complete (no choice about stopping and coming back later since it is a dungeon type sequence) and forced me to go through about a dozen henchman in total to actually have a chance to win the series from beginning to end.

Since both Morganthe and Malistaire conveniently make an exit before the end, I assume folks at KI are planning on new worlds where they show up again. Hence a suggestion to the game designers at KI - please keep within some bounds of reason when designing future quests in future lands. Anything that requires in excess of an hour or so of continuous activity with no possibility of pausing the action for a return at a later time is too much. Creating opponent scenarios that force a single wizard to burn through vast quanities of henchman, especially in circumstances where finding allies to join in the fray are limited is too much.

Otherwise, thanks KI for another fun experience in Azteca!!!! Looking forward to see what you come up with for the next world .
Oooooh... Like you said about Malistaire and Morganthe, maybe they'll team up in the Mirage world I want to happen... if you're wondering what i'm talking about, read my post please make this KI please please please please... like the fish boss at the end, after you defeat it, Malistaire, Morganthe and Sylvia come back and try to defeat you once and for all. Just a thought.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2012
3
KI the dungeon should be split in two. I didn't mind going back and doing the fights and breaking the monuments were fun; however Malistaire is ridiculous. Anytime I went there no one was around to help and used many a henchman, still lost. I am going in again for the last time. Please split this dungeon!!

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
14
It is supposed to be tough. If it wasnt then anyone could do it.

Survivor
Sep 27, 2011
12
MathWiz112358 on May 8, 2013 wrote:
A crossword on a 1000 x 1000 grid may take longer than a 26x26 puzzle, but isn't necessary more challenging in a good way. That's how I view these upper levels. I think you need to be in it for the storyline or the music, because really there is only basic way to make new worlds at a higher level - make the creatures stronger or more clever. What I'm sensing is that Wizards aren't getting enough power to keep pace, so times for battles get longer and longer. Longer does not always equate to more challenging or more fun.

Also, if you're not on the cutting edge when a new world is released, the place feels deserted even in the crowded realms. Thus you can hit a wall.
I totally agree with you.

However, the issues is getting KI to at least consider implementing any of the wonderful improvements presented in this thread.


Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
19
gemstone2006 on Mar 10, 2013 wrote:
Just completed the Xibalba quest that completes the Azteca world in the spiral. I have to say that this sequence went far beyond being challenging - it was abusive. As a single player (Life School) it took over 6 hours to complete (no choice about stopping and coming back later since it is a dungeon type sequence) and forced me to go through about a dozen henchman in total to actually have a chance to win the series from beginning to end.

Since both Morganthe and Malistaire conveniently make an exit before the end, I assume folks at KI are planning on new worlds where they show up again. Hence a suggestion to the game designers at KI - please keep within some bounds of reason when designing future quests in future lands. Anything that requires in excess of an hour or so of continuous activity with no possibility of pausing the action for a return at a later time is too much. Creating opponent scenarios that force a single wizard to burn through vast quanities of henchman, especially in circumstances where finding allies to join in the fray are limited is too much.

Otherwise, thanks KI for another fun experience in Azteca!!!! Looking forward to see what you come up with for the next world .
um, malistare is . he was hurtled into the spiral along with part of xibalba. he won't return.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2012
12
DragonLady1818 on Mar 12, 2013 wrote:
Brwac is right. I stopped running in Az over 2 weeks ago. At the moment, I have no desire to return. Az is the most stressful and un-rewarding world this game has ever released. If the next world is as anything like Az, then, they can keep it. I will not take another wizard through. I will take them only to the point I can and do enjoy it. I will not be creating another account.
Personally, I enjoyed azteca. It did not take me very long to beat on any of my chars (yes, multiple chars have beaten this world). I thought the challenge was fun, as long as you have a little help from your friends :)

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
169
Well, 6 hours is way too long. it doesn't sound like its the challenge that's your problem, its your deck setup. Despite what they say about pvp, it really helps with your deck setup (Using pips Efficiently to take down targets) What about only having 6 Forest lords in your deck and a gnomes and 2 reshuffles? It's possible to take down the monsters pretty fast without discarding much. 12-24 rounds each fight depending on your level.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
403
I love Azteca, especially the last few sections. It's my second favorite world after Avalon.

It seems like the people who are complaining want an easy solo. I'm sorry, but this is a multi-player game, and if you insist on doing the hardest dungeons solo it will be, and should be an epic challenge. I had no problem doing the entire game solo with the exception of a few instances. Xibalaba, like the Great Spire, Tower of the Helephant and Waterworks, is a rite of passage. There are only a few sections of the game that really press us, and one by one they are getting dumbed down - first Malistaire is DS, then Young Morganthe in AV, most recently Kensington (MB).

If you insist on everything being easy to solo for a casual player, it will be mind-numbingly dull for the rest of us. If someone has played 90 levels without making a single friend willing to help with one instance, I guess they need to hire henchmen, but seriously, it isn't that hard. If you ask around or wait on the sigils there are folks willing to team. It's ONE instance. You can do it!

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
776
Dakota Death on Jul 6, 2013 wrote:
I love Azteca, especially the last few sections. It's my second favorite world after Avalon.

It seems like the people who are complaining want an easy solo. I'm sorry, but this is a multi-player game, and if you insist on doing the hardest dungeons solo it will be, and should be an epic challenge. I had no problem doing the entire game solo with the exception of a few instances. Xibalaba, like the Great Spire, Tower of the Helephant and Waterworks, is a rite of passage. There are only a few sections of the game that really press us, and one by one they are getting dumbed down - first Malistaire is DS, then Young Morganthe in AV, most recently Kensington (MB).

If you insist on everything being easy to solo for a casual player, it will be mind-numbingly dull for the rest of us. If someone has played 90 levels without making a single friend willing to help with one instance, I guess they need to hire henchmen, but seriously, it isn't that hard. If you ask around or wait on the sigils there are folks willing to team. It's ONE instance. You can do it!
--> My major issue with xibalba was not the difficulty, but the time commitment required to solo it. It would be more reasonable (and exact same gameplay challenge) if xibalba was broken into two dungeons.

--> I agree that xibalba is much easier if you have some friends to help you. The difference between solo attempt and group effort is vast.

--> Some people on the forums report their ability to fly through xibalba solo. This could be empty boasts. They don't qualify their claims with the pets/gear/crown boosts they used. There is superior gear available in bundles, henchmen, elixers, etc. that can be used by those who are willing to throw money at it.

--> The only friends in the spiral that can help you with xibalba are those who have the quest (or completed the quest). Wizards that do not have the quest can not enter this dungeon. So.... all your level 80-something wizard friends are of no help.

--> xibalba is the final dungeon of the entire PvE game. Lots of players (ie: friends) stop playing their wizard once this is done. They move on to other wizards or activities. This also narrows the friends that might help.

--> xibalba is hardly like mirror lake with a crowd of people waiting to enter. Waiting for an actual friend to come online, or hoping to find a stranger to help can potentially take a very very long time. Not much gaming fun waiting at a dungeon entrance to ask strangers (that might never show up) for help.

--> xibalba is not a dungeon that many players enjoy doing repeatedly. It's not mirror lake or water works where people farm it for stuff. Some players might, but generally most won't. There isn't much point in farming xibalba. So again... the pool of players you can call on for help is very reduced compared to other dungeons.

--> What do you mean there is only one instance of xibalba? There are as many entrances to xibalba as there are realms. And there are as many instances of xibalba as there are players/groups that enter.

RottenHeart, Lvl 90

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
403
Oh, I meant you only have to do one instance. Of course it can by any realm. I agree with you that splitting it in two sections would be good for time management. I don't think it should be nerfed to make it an easy solo though. It's the end of the game & should be epic. Frankly I'm tired of (usually the same few) people whining on every message board about the game being "too hard to solo". It's a multi-player game, it shouldn't be easy to solo, especially not the battle at the end of a world. All the major dungeons are better done with a group, and we are reminded of that many times in the game. By level 90 everyone should know how to find help, and know what they are getting into if they make the choice to do it alone.

Delver
Feb 25, 2013
254
I don't have any wizards past Dragonspyre, but here is my opinion:

The challenge, to me sounds about right for such high level wizards. But the time- way to long. I'm only allowed an hour on weekdays, I don't know what I'll do when I get to Azteca! (Though that may be a while, as I'm starting a new wizard.)

Destiny Windgem, level 47

Savannah Sandsong, level 6

Survivor
Mar 10, 2012
15
Xibalba wasn't that hard. As a fire wizard, i soloed it in 4 hours and 10 minutes, no henchmen or anything, you just need to be prepared with the right deck setup and gear setup and your good to go. On the last battle i used sanctuary tc as my bubble instead of wyldfire, to increase my healing and my pips wouldn't all be towards healing, and that worked out fine. If your under sergeant i would suggest trained stun block, but i would use conviction if i was sergeant or higher, the extra block always helps.

~Ethan Thunderspear, level 90
~Ethan Stormspear, level 43
~Ethan Legendspear, level 8
~Ethan Nightspear, level 26
~Ethan Icespear, level 5
~Ethan Deathspear, level 5

Defender
Mar 16, 2011
100
The Fire on Mar 14, 2013 wrote:
I agree they have made AZ impossible. Though i haven't completed it so far it has been brutal. Especially when soloing it. I hope the next world will be much better then AZ. ~Hunter Blue Flame level 88 pyromancer
wait and find a friend to do it with. That's what ive done, and though it has taken me longer than I would have liked, I have in the most part avoided the level of frustration I have read about on this topic. But I do think, that with some of the new cheating bosses with minions with 5k health, like Belloq (the third) and Guamon Skyfall, and also the Jabberwock from Avalon, KI has gone a little overboard in some places.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2012
5
I wish KI would incorporate some sort of "pause" or "leave and come back" button. My computer works well, but after 1 hour and 30 minutes it will automatically shut down on me, which infuriates me when I'm in the middle of an important battle. I am in Zafaria right now and am not looking forward to Azteca, especially after hearing what people have to say.

About that button I was talking about... It would be nice if you could spend *this amount of gold* and have your game saved so that you could come back at another time. This would be great for me, especially. Since my computer would shut down after an hour and a half, I absolutely would be willing to spend some gold on having my game saved during a dungeon. It would be a great addition to the game. Kingsisle, if you are reading this, please think about my idea! I certainly am not willing to buy crowns just to save the game, though. If it came to that, I would most definitely consider moving on and finding a better game.

Agree? Disagree? Tell me what you have to say about my idea!

Defender
Mar 16, 2011
100
Dakota Death on Jul 9, 2013 wrote:
Oh, I meant you only have to do one instance. Of course it can by any realm. I agree with you that splitting it in two sections would be good for time management. I don't think it should be nerfed to make it an easy solo though. It's the end of the game & should be epic. Frankly I'm tired of (usually the same few) people whining on every message board about the game being "too hard to solo". It's a multi-player game, it shouldn't be easy to solo, especially not the battle at the end of a world. All the major dungeons are better done with a group, and we are reminded of that many times in the game. By level 90 everyone should know how to find help, and know what they are getting into if they make the choice to do it alone.
Hear, hear! I agree one hundred percent.
Talon WillowCloud, level 89
If you see me, friend me.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2011
8
gemstone2006 on Mar 10, 2013 wrote:
Just completed the Xibalba quest that completes the Azteca world in the spiral. I have to say that this sequence went far beyond being challenging - it was abusive. As a single player (Life School) it took over 6 hours to complete (no choice about stopping and coming back later since it is a dungeon type sequence) and forced me to go through about a dozen henchman in total to actually have a chance to win the series from beginning to end.

Since both Morganthe and Malistaire conveniently make an exit before the end, I assume folks at KI are planning on new worlds where they show up again. Hence a suggestion to the game designers at KI - please keep within some bounds of reason when designing future quests in future lands. Anything that requires in excess of an hour or so of continuous activity with no possibility of pausing the action for a return at a later time is too much. Creating opponent scenarios that force a single wizard to burn through vast quanities of henchman, especially in circumstances where finding allies to join in the fray are limited is too much.

Otherwise, thanks KI for another fun experience in Azteca!!!! Looking forward to see what you come up with for the next world .
Good idea, but it took me only 1 hour to get to malistare when I had a friend for only the first battle. And when they leave it makes the minions tougher because they are set to the minions for 2 people if you get what I am saying. I higher recommend staying away from jade gear.

Explorer
Apr 20, 2011
73
Yeah I feel the same thing I soloed this abusive dungeon but you have to be aware turn your dungeon warnings on to see how long it's going to be.

Fred Battlehunter lvl 89 Lord of the Falling Sky

Explorer
Apr 20, 2011
73
Yeah I feel the same thing I soloed this abusive dungeon but you have to be aware turn your dungeon warnings on to see how long it's going to be.

Fred Battlehunter lvl 89 Lord of the Falling Sky

Defender
Mar 16, 2011
100
tristan thundersto... on Jun 8, 2013 wrote:
um, malistare is . he was hurtled into the spiral along with part of xibalba. he won't return.
morganthe survived the collapse of feather palace in alto alto- plus bad guys always survive. Just look at belloq!

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
776
Dakota Death on Jul 9, 2013 wrote:
Oh, I meant you only have to do one instance. Of course it can by any realm. I agree with you that splitting it in two sections would be good for time management. I don't think it should be nerfed to make it an easy solo though. It's the end of the game & should be epic. Frankly I'm tired of (usually the same few) people whining on every message board about the game being "too hard to solo". It's a multi-player game, it shouldn't be easy to solo, especially not the battle at the end of a world. All the major dungeons are better done with a group, and we are reminded of that many times in the game. By level 90 everyone should know how to find help, and know what they are getting into if they make the choice to do it alone.
Since you seem to be replying to my post, I don't think either I or the thread's OP was asking (or whining) for xibalba to be nerfed. Please read posts carefully. It's the time commitment.

Like the final dungeons of other worlds I expect xibalba will be nerfed otherwise it will be too much of a barrier for many players to enter the next world. The difficulty is too much for many players, even when in groups. If a large percentage of players are prevented from entering a newly released world... well....

~ RH