Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Question about gear in higher levels

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I am in Avalon and doing just find when I solo so I assume my existing gear is just fine. I use generic gear that is effective against most enemies. Example of choice: I generally choose 25% benifit against all enemies vs a 50% benifit against specific schools.

Currently when I enter a battle I might switch amulet, pet, and tweek my deck.

Avalon/Azteca Question: I am noticing available gear with significantly higher stats against specific schools. Should I be holding on to this stuff (and crafting) for later on in Avalon and Azteca? Do people carry around tons of gear and constantly change hats, robes, & boots everytime they enter a battle?

*** Question is specific to Avalon and Azteca. If you aren't there then please don't reply! ***

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
RottenHeart on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
I am in Avalon and doing just find when I solo so I assume my existing gear is just fine. I use generic gear that is effective against most enemies. Example of choice: I generally choose 25% benifit against all enemies vs a 50% benifit against specific schools.

Avalon/Azteca Question: I am noticing available gear with significantly higher stats against specific schools. Should I be holding on to this stuff (and crafting) for later on in Avalon and Azteca? Do people carry around tons of gear and constantly change hats, robes, & boots everytime they enter a battle?

*** Question is specific to Avalon and Azteca. If you aren't there then please don't reply! ***
RottenHeart, If you do not have WW gear, you may want to try to get it or hang on to some of the gear you are getting that has decent stats. Myself and many of my friends are still using WW gear in Az. The gear in Az is seriously nerfed with some stats completely gone. You will want to keep your stats as high as possible especially Crit block.

You will be battling a lot of Ice, Myth, and life in some areas and Fire, Storm, Balance and Death in others in Az. You will also want to pack Tower Shield TCs and Conviction/stun block TCs in Az. Also add a few Cleanse Charms in incase you get hit with Efreet. You don't want to have all your blades up and get hit with no way to get rid of that -90 weakness. Death also casts a spell that includes a -30 weakness. Some of the spells we have come through most of the game with and being used now by boss/mobs have been tweaked a little and will place a weakness on you.

Avalon for the most part is pretty well balanced. Az is not. Boss/mobs start with considerable more pips and can hit you with a 9-10 pip spell first round and more times than not they will cast first.

You will be tweaking your deck quite often in Az. I have 4 decks currently on my life wiz that I use for various mobs with one of them specifically for Boss battles that only requires me to switch shields. The other 3 do require minor tweaks once in a while but not often. One deck is for life mobs only. One is for Ice or Myth since they do the most stuns and the other one works well for Fire or Death by switching the shields. This is just my way of setting up without having to tweak one deck for every battle.

Hope this helped. Good luck

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010

I used to carry a bunch but after i got my select sets down to a good system i usually only have about 3 items in each slot except pets but dont even get me started on pets lol. I disagree with golden on the ww gear because it is seriously outdated for the battles in avalon and azteca.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

And, I disagree with lastdaygunslinger, as WW gear is still usable in Avalon and Azteca (and for some schools, is a necessity).

Honestly, it depends on the school whether the gear dropped, purchased, or crafted would work well. I generally carry a few sets of clothing, wands, athames, rings, and amulets in my backpack. I didn't do too much of that in Avalon, but I needed to in Azteca.

When you are checking out gear in Avalon and Azteca, be sure to look at all the stats YOU want. You might get a boost in block, but are you losing power pips, damage, and resist?

It's a difficult choice. My Ice is still wearing her crafted Avalon gear, which is ultimately better than the crafted Azteca gear. My Balance still uses her WW gear, because I would be losing precious stats that I desperately need, but I do try to find the best wand, athame & ring (whether dropped or crafted) to boost the areas that WW gear give me.

The best thing is to keep a few pieces and mix and match until you come up with a decent combination that will get you through a particular fight, or a particular world.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011

I am not sure with your play style, but the safest way to go is get the full WW set and craft the full AV set for your toon. This way you got enough to play around with when tweaking for the set up that best suits you. A big unseen factor will be your patience to hatch and train for a pet to patch up numbers where stats are wanting.

I'm hooked with the AV gears and crafted gears in general, but its largely the pet talents that will make them better than WW in my opinion. WW gears needs critical rate and block. You can find them mainly in wands and mixing with crafted boots. Azteca gears improved in some stats but takes away some stats in other area. Unless you go for the transcendent crafters badge first, you'll get to pick which AZ gear benefits you most after finishing Xibalba anyway. I spent swapping cards in decks more than gears. Occasionally ill switch wands and pets but thats about it. And I get to upgrade gears before Xibalba after my first toon became a transcendent crafter already.

Good Luck

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
normally i store my WW gear away for my death,life,balance,ice and fire wizards.full WW gear is ok but you need something for blocks. Avalon robes are best recommended as well as rings( i recommend to craft three rings. one for balance, one for spirit schools and one for elemental schools.).
my myth did not start Avalon but helped my death in Azteca as well as my storm which is half way through Avalon.

also i would not craft any Azteca hats in there as they are worse than Avalon hats. in fact my fire uses the Zafaria crafted hat for ice.the robes ,boots and other stuff is slightly better than Avalon. but only slightly better and can take a lot of time farming for the turquoise and no trade/auction TC's needed for them.

balance: both Avalon hats one for spirit and one for element. robe and boots . the generic one as well as one for resist against balance,storm,and the spirit ones. also craft an athame if you did not get the lexicon blade from ToTH.

death:same as balance except you can use hats either dropped or found in the bazaar for element,spirit and balance/storm/fire resist.

fire:Zafaria and Avalon crafted hat,the rest like death. although with the athame i would go with ones that give more health.rings like balance.

life: same as death

ice:ice is a shield blocking school so Avalon hat,robe,boots. not advised to craft other boots as you are prone to more fizzling.try to get lexicon blade or craft an athame as well as rings like balance.

storm:WW hat, Avalon hat,Avalon robe, generic Av boots(actually a little better than WW boots.IMO), also storm resist boots. the rest like fire.

myth : i am still working on but i am guessing on what other myth wizards did in Az with me. WW is ok but you need high resist athames and/or rings. crafting is the best.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
You are more than welcome to farm for the WW gear, But you will just put it on to use and then see that its not giving what you need when there is so much better options when mixing crown shop/drops/crafted.
Alot of peeps still conform to thinking WW is best and thats their opinion which they are more than free to have. But the main reason people wanted that WW gear was to tie in the crit rating with the other stats which in ava and azt crit is useless. But like i said if you want to waste countless hours farming for outdated gear i will not an cannot stop you.

Take care and safe journeys