Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

On the Matter of Survival in Azteca

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
I've written elsewhere about how much I love Azteca, and the pleasure I gain from soloing such challenging content. There are a couple of problems, though, that I think KI should address: Starting power for wizards and Chain Stunning.

Wizards in Azteca need to start with more power in pips and with improved gear stats:

We require at least 3 power pips to make a good stand in dungeons and street battles where the mobs start off with 5-6 power pips. This is especially true in solo dungeons and others where a wizard might confront 3-4 monsters in a solo battle. Several players have mentioned the need for a tri-pip to help balance out this inequity. I think a tri-pip chance of no more than 25% at level 80 would be helpful, along with a 2 power pip wand.

I would love to see new craftable gear that allows a wizard to choose the stats. For example, I need gear that has built in stun resistance and more heal boost to balance out my ability to survive in battle against storm, ice, and myth mobs and bosses. It would be a great enticement to gain that new badge, too.

In battle, I have noticed two particular situations that are unbalanced, at least for this theurgist:

The Balance Shadowweaver in Cloudburst Forest cast mana burn, which makes it extremely difficult for a solo wizard to gain enough power to hit or heal. I don't think they should use Mana Burn at all.

The Myth Gold Frill Spike Horns in Tierra de Brea don’t often use EQ, but they chain stun from the start, and it's very hard to get any spell off without going first or knowing before hand to stock up on Conviction. I went through about 30 Conviction spells, purchased at the Bazaar, to beat the Gold Frill quests. I'd like to see KI correct for the mobs OP stun abilities:
IF they can use Medusa right off, she should not double stun, AND/OR
If they can use Basilisk right off, it shouldn't stun

In my solo battle for the Spinysaur spell, I faced ice and myth. The ice cast Storm Lord on the first round, followed by the Gold Frills casting Medusa and Basilisk. They would stun, break the stun shields, and cast another stun spell in the same round. Each time I went second, and I got hit 6-10 times in a row with no chance to cast any spells. I attempted this battle 5 times, and finally gave in to using henchmen, because of the chain stunning. This was the first time I have EVER needed henchmen to win a battle in the Spiral.
If I could have gone first, I could have cast Conviction to protect myself and then I would have had no trouble. Another possibility to balance this out is to allow for stun block as a gear stat.

Now, before anyone jumps to tell me I'm just not good enough to compete, I will mention that I rarely find a situation I can't overcome with strategy and a good deck, and I rarely find myself displeased with the challenge presented to me by my favorite game designers.

Friend Wizards, what do you want to see in the way of new gear and tweaks for balance?

Qbb/Iridian


Defender
Sep 10, 2011
191
Canny B Moone on Dec 22, 2012 wrote:
I've written elsewhere about how much I love Azteca, and the pleasure I gain from soloing such challenging content. There are a couple of problems, though, that I think KI should address: Starting power for wizards and Chain Stunning.

Wizards in Azteca need to start with more power in pips and with improved gear stats:

We require at least 3 power pips to make a good stand in dungeons and street battles where the mobs start off with 5-6 power pips. This is especially true in solo dungeons and others where a wizard might confront 3-4 monsters in a solo battle. Several players have mentioned the need for a tri-pip to help balance out this inequity. I think a tri-pip chance of no more than 25% at level 80 would be helpful, along with a 2 power pip wand.

I would love to see new craftable gear that allows a wizard to choose the stats. For example, I need gear that has built in stun resistance and more heal boost to balance out my ability to survive in battle against storm, ice, and myth mobs and bosses. It would be a great enticement to gain that new badge, too.

In battle, I have noticed two particular situations that are unbalanced, at least for this theurgist:

The Balance Shadowweaver in Cloudburst Forest cast mana burn, which makes it extremely difficult for a solo wizard to gain enough power to hit or heal. I don't think they should use Mana Burn at all.

The Myth Gold Frill Spike Horns in Tierra de Brea don’t often use EQ, but they chain stun from the start, and it's very hard to get any spell off without going first or knowing before hand to stock up on Conviction. I went through about 30 Conviction spells, purchased at the Bazaar, to beat the Gold Frill quests. I'd like to see KI correct for the mobs OP stun abilities:
IF they can use Medusa right off, she should not double stun, AND/OR
If they can use Basilisk right off, it shouldn't stun

In my solo battle for the Spinysaur spell, I faced ice and myth. The ice cast Storm Lord on the first round, followed by the Gold Frills casting Medusa and Basilisk. They would stun, break the stun shields, and cast another stun spell in the same round. Each time I went second, and I got hit 6-10 times in a row with no chance to cast any spells. I attempted this battle 5 times, and finally gave in to using henchmen, because of the chain stunning. This was the first time I have EVER needed henchmen to win a battle in the Spiral.
If I could have gone first, I could have cast Conviction to protect myself and then I would have had no trouble. Another possibility to balance this out is to allow for stun block as a gear stat.

Now, before anyone jumps to tell me I'm just not good enough to compete, I will mention that I rarely find a situation I can't overcome with strategy and a good deck, and I rarely find myself displeased with the challenge presented to me by my favorite game designers.

Friend Wizards, what do you want to see in the way of new gear and tweaks for balance?

Qbb/Iridian

My only question is why ask for the enemies to be tweaked if you were able to finish most of them? I have three Prometheans now (and a fourth one at level 84 now) and although what you have mentioned happens I was able to go through all of them with no Henchmen too. So I don't understand the need to tweak them for balance.

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
Excellent post!

I will be giving some thought about what I would like to see in gear and tweaks.

THANK YOU!

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
2929
Monsoon Jo on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
My only question is why ask for the enemies to be tweaked if you were able to finish most of them? I have three Prometheans now (and a fourth one at level 84 now) and although what you have mentioned happens I was able to go through all of them with no Henchmen too. So I don't understand the need to tweak them for balance.
You're obviously one of the "hardcore" gamers that this world is aimed at~ of course, you don't see a problem.

Casual players, on the other hand, aren't interested in treating the game like it's a job. I loathe cheating bosses and worlds that are near impossible to complete by myself~ I (level 88 Balance) simply don't have the firepower to take down 3 enemies who chain-stun and start with 14 pips; I can pack as many Stun Blocks or Convictions as I want, but both are useless if you're stunned the whole time and can't get a shot off.

I just got my level 88 spell quest, and have already died twice in trying to get it, as I am outmanned, outclassed, and severely underpowered. It shouldn't be that hard~ KI has been trying too hard to please the hardcore/professional gamers, and the rest of us have been left behind; and don't tell me that I lack strategy, etc., etc... But, for those of us who aren't professional gamers, it's tedious and not at all fun.
,
My main concerns are similar to QBBs~

1. pips. WHY are we still starting with only 2 power pips, when enemies can now double-stun and spam mana-burn at us multiple times at the start of battle?

2. stun resistance. it should be a gear stat, to stop the chain-stunning that we all know goes on at the higher levels.

3. critical. what is the point? like, most of the mobs and bosses at this level all block it anyway... because i care more about tangible stats, my archmage balance wizard's crit rating is nonexistent. and, you know what? i don't miss it.

4. we need better gear~ like, i should not be wearing my ww set at almost level 90, thank you.

sigh,
-von

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
Monsoon Jo on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
My only question is why ask for the enemies to be tweaked if you were able to finish most of them? I have three Prometheans now (and a fourth one at level 84 now) and although what you have mentioned happens I was able to go through all of them with no Henchmen too. So I don't understand the need to tweak them for balance.
It's not for me, it's for those many wizard who are overwhelmed that I make these suggestions. As I have posted several times before, I am personally happy with Azteca.

As a seasoned wizard, I do see spots where others with less experience might get into serious trouble and give up.

No need to argue with me about my comments. I'm not here for a flame war.

Regards,

Qbb

Astrologist
Oct 22, 2011
1077
Monsoon Jo on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
My only question is why ask for the enemies to be tweaked if you were able to finish most of them? I have three Prometheans now (and a fourth one at level 84 now) and although what you have mentioned happens I was able to go through all of them with no Henchmen too. So I don't understand the need to tweak them for balance.
Because QBB isn't just thinking of herself, she's thinking about the average casual player in the game. If you were able to do fine through the world, that's great! However, there are many many people who struggle and/or quit because of what Azteca (and the game) has become ..... something that is too much work and not enough fun and relaxation.

We need to try and encompass as many people as possible instead of putting blinders on. What can we do to make this world better for everyone? People may come up with great ideas, and that's what needs to be seen.

QBB has some great ideas that can be expanded on, or a lightbulb may go off for someone else that has another great idea.

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1531
Queenly, Thanks for this post and info. If this is what I will have to face in Azteca, I very likely won't be going there. I love this game, but that is not worth getting headaches for.

My life wizard is a fair player and has only had help with one boss in Avalon so far. The rest she has done solo but not sure how much longer she will be able to. She is also still wearing WW gear except for boots that came from Nastrond drops but also gives her stats the WW boots don't. From what I am seeing that gear is still some of the best in the game. HMMM, something is wrong with that. We should have had better long before now with better universal stats, stun resist and been better prepared for the new world rather laying down to die with in a round or 2. Not my idea of balanced, fun or magic.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
191
I hate flame wars, the reason why i replied is that i see you mature enough for topics like this. Im all for players to enjoy what i enjoyed so far. But when i read the title i thought you'll be offering a tip, a new tactic, a new strategy i can and others may imbibe to use in the game. To share new ideas and enlighten "casual" players if you like to call them as such. and not another thread asking for a tweak.

-Pips. If you add or have a wand with more pips, A player with a good eye can exploit this with the strength of the "Empowerment" spell.

-Stun resistance. The problem is not having more gear stats to weather chain stunning. Its what you should be doing while under that situation. Again I call on the the Empowerment spell where you earn pips while being hit/stunned to enable you to have enough pips to heal or cast an attack spell afterwards. Of course preparing for enemies with know stun spells is a plus.

-Critical. Critical rate is not "only" for attacking. Yes i do tap on this and succeeded on bringing more hits than blocks, but its strenght can also be used for healing (life current, rebirth, pixie, etc.). This simple fact is often overlooked

-Gears. I call what we are into now as "reeling from the WW gear effect." WW was then and now still overpowered that it still finds its way being used up to AZ. KI can't pump more stats into gears because we simply have been given a very useful set already. Mind you, i barely have this set, mostly crafted. And still with powerful pets, I find the crafted ones (AV/ZF) at par with AZ.

Why do i oppose such tweaks? its because i also worry for balance. Many players are becoming Prometheans by the day without them. And more players have been trying to be one since AZ was launched. I think we are way pass the point of asking for tweaks and should be encouraging players with more positive infos instead..

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2638
The definition of Casual Gamer gets stretched way too much here. I am a casual gamer, I thank you for trying to defend me in these upper worlds but really I am never going there so it's all for nothing.

Hard core game players don't get that some people either don't want to or even can play like that. For me I can do it but it's really very stressful for me - not fun- stressful - do I want this from a game = NO, does everyone else = apparently.

Just so everyone knows - the Casual gaming ends in Mid Mooshu, I judge this by how all my friends peeled off around then and where I had to start doing the math to continue. If there is a fine line between casual and hard core it's probably when you enter Celestia.

KI knows the reason why they made this world and it is what it is. They have chosen the direction they want the game to go in now and how are we going to change that? Apparently the membership base for hard core content supports these worlds. Especially if you are buying crown items to complete it, aka, henchmen.

We all need to just build a bridge and get over it like I have. Vote with your crowns/membership - pay for it if you like the game as it is don't if you are tired of it and want out. Simple as that. If the content is difficult and you still drag your wizard though it you are paying for a game you don't like to play?

As one poster said - time for me to go play Barbie dress up I thank Wizard101 for the fun I did get out of it but like all good things - they do come to an end.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
GoldenDragon @ El Veebz,

Let's get together soon and get your wizards through Azteca. It'll be super fun times, since we already pretty much know the lay of the land.

Pack Conviction!

Namaste,

Qbb

Armiger
Mar 18, 2009
2381
Canny B Moone on Dec 25, 2012 wrote:
GoldenDragon @ El Veebz,

Let's get together soon and get your wizards through Azteca. It'll be super fun times, since we already pretty much know the lay of the land.

Pack Conviction!

Namaste,

Qbb
Qbb,

Good to see you hanging in there and helping others through a notoriously difficult world.

Not to go off-topic, but your comment reminded me of the single most frustrating thing I have about this game.....the inability to get folks together into groups quickly.

Yes, there is a population of players that will always want to play solo (a choosen and brave prerogative) and the difficulty will certainly dismay the majority of them. However, for the remaining population, the importance of a group is highlighted to the extreme in Azteca. The fact that Wizard101 advances by quest completions, not how many enemies you defeat or how tough the enemies are you take down...almost ensures that "questing buddies" have to stay lock step on the same quests......or someone is losing out.

If I'm finding an area difficult, I should be able to quickly get a group of wizards together (in-game); all with the same quest. The PvP mechanics already work like this.

Henchmen will still certainly have a place in the numerous quests that require you to defeat bosses solo, but for the rest of the time wizards shouldn't have to struggle due to the lack of immediate available players or keep purchasing henchmen on "normal" quests to advance.

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
1531
Thanks QBB. It will take me a while to get to that point since I have a little one that demands more of my time. I am lucky if I get to play even a couple of hours a day. I would however like to take you up on your offer at least to get the one Wizard through. From there, I may or may not take another one to AZ.

Thank you for your assistance in the "White Owl Tower".

@Kingurz, Henchmen is one thing I rarely use and don't like to anyway. From What I am seeing from others of our friends, those Solo quests may be some that I will pass up which of course, I will also forfeit spells or whatever the reward may be. For the most part, my main Life can handle her own, but I don't care for the headaches or having to battle more than the normal enemy in the same battle. She has been able to handle most bosses and a minion, but I don't care to face a boss and 2 or more minions on a solo. So far in AV, she has only required help with 2 and QBB was there to help me with that one Tower for which I am thankful. I did try solo but died at Kayla. Oh well, what can I say.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
Oran of Urz on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
Qbb,

Good to see you hanging in there and helping others through a notoriously difficult world.

Not to go off-topic, but your comment reminded me of the single most frustrating thing I have about this game.....the inability to get folks together into groups quickly.

Yes, there is a population of players that will always want to play solo (a choosen and brave prerogative) and the difficulty will certainly dismay the majority of them. However, for the remaining population, the importance of a group is highlighted to the extreme in Azteca. The fact that Wizard101 advances by quest completions, not how many enemies you defeat or how tough the enemies are you take down...almost ensures that "questing buddies" have to stay lock step on the same quests......or someone is losing out.

If I'm finding an area difficult, I should be able to quickly get a group of wizards together (in-game); all with the same quest. The PvP mechanics already work like this.

Henchmen will still certainly have a place in the numerous quests that require you to defeat bosses solo, but for the rest of the time wizards shouldn't have to struggle due to the lack of immediate available players or keep purchasing henchmen on "normal" quests to advance.
@Kingurz,

It's good to see you here in the forums

I agree with you. This is an old topic, and one that poses a problem that has yet to be solved:

Wizards need an in-game mechanism that allows players to find others who have the same quest or battle and group up. This will allow for maximum pleasure, efficiency, increased flow and more opportunity for moments of fiero, which will yield a steady and healthy player base, and a vibrant community of connected humans.

It is true that KI made Azteca a place where wizards really need to cultivate friendships, time management, and patience. It's really hard to solo, and this life wizard is ssslllooowww on her own. Not that I mind; it's how I learned to play the game. BUT, I'm not looking at the entire story line and wondering how I will ever complete the content. It's a different thing for new players who are contemplating a level cap of 90 or 100, compared to those of us who started when Dragon Spyre was the final world, with a level cap of 50. Heck, that's about half way now! Can you imagine? Soloing is a very challenging option with so much difficult content from level 50-90.

I think the element of grouping is imperative at this point, if KI wants to keep a healthy, happy player base.

I wonder: Do other MMORPGs have such an in-game grouping mechanism? If so, how does it work?

Should we start a new topic to get the conversation going?

Qbb