Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Azteca cheat dungeons~ enough already.

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
K, so I really like my storm wizard and want her out of Azteca ASAP. Needless to say, it's driving me nuts that I constantly get stuck at cheat dungeons and can't progress in the story without 1) spending an insane amount of crowns on henchmen or 2) at least 3 other people online at any given time.

First of all, the crowns thing. I get that, in theory, it's my choice, blah blah. But I don't really have any other options... A team is required to bypass the cheat, and I am only one person; therefore, I need at least one other person around at any given time, and an empty server doesn't change that. It's either spend the crowns or don't play at all.

I also get that it's an MMO. That's great, if you're someone who is in the same time zone as all of your friends and never have to do anything by yourself. I am in the Atlantic time zone, and thus usually have entire servers to myself for hours... My friends are all on the west coast, and the only way to see them is to stay up all night, since their midnight is my 4 in the morning. And I am an adult with a full time job: I can't do that. Not everyone who plays alone does so by choice.

Stuff like Belloq and other team-required cheat dungeons should be made optional only, so that solo players (especial storm) stand a fighting chance and can actually get stuff done without having to rely on other people. In those instances, it doesn't matter how good your stats are~ Belloq's massive cheat Ra, amongst other free boss casts, completely bypasses all resist modifiers anyway. And, as a storm wizard, he can kill me in 2 hits. It's a good thing I don't fizzle, but it doesn't help much when I still get white pips more often than not (and am forced into passing, at which point he gets his massive cheat Ra and I'm dead anyway).

The hardcore/professional gamers who want a challenge can go to the arena or do one of the many optional cheat dungeons out there. I am not a hardcore or professional gamer, and I would rather just be able to play the game and have fun, not worry that I won't be able to play at all because there's no one online to help me.

Cheat dungeons should not be, and should never have been, incorporated into the main quest line. That was a huge mistake on KI's part, and that's what's driving the casual/family-fun set away. We will find other games, where team play is an option, rather than something that's forced on us.

As much as I love the game, there is no place for players like me here; I have left the game before and, if I do so again, I won't be back.

For the love of Malistaire, give solo players a chance.

-v.

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
Dr Von on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
K, so I really like my storm wizard and want her out of Azteca ASAP. Needless to say, it's driving me nuts that I constantly get stuck at cheat dungeons and can't progress in the story without 1) spending an insane amount of crowns on henchmen or 2) at least 3 other people online at any given time.

First of all, the crowns thing. I get that, in theory, it's my choice, blah blah. But I don't really have any other options... A team is required to bypass the cheat, and I am only one person; therefore, I need at least one other person around at any given time, and an empty server doesn't change that. It's either spend the crowns or don't play at all.

I also get that it's an MMO. That's great, if you're someone who is in the same time zone as all of your friends and never have to do anything by yourself. I am in the Atlantic time zone, and thus usually have entire servers to myself for hours... My friends are all on the west coast, and the only way to see them is to stay up all night, since their midnight is my 4 in the morning. And I am an adult with a full time job: I can't do that. Not everyone who plays alone does so by choice.

Stuff like Belloq and other team-required cheat dungeons should be made optional only, so that solo players (especial storm) stand a fighting chance and can actually get stuff done without having to rely on other people. In those instances, it doesn't matter how good your stats are~ Belloq's massive cheat Ra, amongst other free boss casts, completely bypasses all resist modifiers anyway. And, as a storm wizard, he can kill me in 2 hits. It's a good thing I don't fizzle, but it doesn't help much when I still get white pips more often than not (and am forced into passing, at which point he gets his massive cheat Ra and I'm dead anyway).

The hardcore/professional gamers who want a challenge can go to the arena or do one of the many optional cheat dungeons out there. I am not a hardcore or professional gamer, and I would rather just be able to play the game and have fun, not worry that I won't be able to play at all because there's no one online to help me.

Cheat dungeons should not be, and should never have been, incorporated into the main quest line. That was a huge mistake on KI's part, and that's what's driving the casual/family-fun set away. We will find other games, where team play is an option, rather than something that's forced on us.

As much as I love the game, there is no place for players like me here; I have left the game before and, if I do so again, I won't be back.

-v.
Yep I get it. Now I need to play at different times of day to go through. I'm either stuck in a cheat boss or Ice boss, terrible since I'm ice. Now basically I need to ask my friends for practically everything. If I were them I would be like what now? If I ever get past Azteca before membership is over and have a friend in Avalon i'll be like I'll help you for those that didn't help me. Now If I don't have a friend online I just garden and offline, since I have to do the boss because my sidequests are in Caer Lyon and I can't go there until I beat the rouge on the bridge. Its not cheat but terrible for me to solo. So yea I get it.

A wizard who would help against even an Aztecan boss in exchange for a little help, Ian Dragonshield lvl 77 who now feels more like a squire than a Savior of the Spiral

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
K so, I really like my Storm wizard too, But so far, only dungeons I've needed help on with my Storm wizard in Azteca was the fight with 2 bosses in the temple, Belloq, and Xibalba, If your having trouble maybe its your gear holding you back? I'll tell you my gear and deck set up:
Hat: Hades' Blackrain Helm
Robe: Black Thunker Armor
Boots: Heavy Rain Slippers
Wand: Hades' Staff of Tempests
Athame: Blade of the Felled Titan
Ring: Storm Owls Terror Ring
Deck: Starter Deck/Storm Sun Gallery
Pet: Gives 48 Critical Rate, 6 storm damage, and 9 resist
Deck for common enemies walking in the streets: 2 Colossal, One sharpened Blade, 1 Storm Lord, 1 Tempest, 2 Galvanic Fields, 2 Storm Blades.
Deck for bosses: (3-5 shields depending on bosses school) 3 Colossal, 2 Sharpened Blade, 4 Satyr, 3 Galvanic Field, 4 Storm Blades, 2 Storm Lords, and a Storm Owl.

The first deck goes along with Children of the Sea Medallion, second goes with Life Mastery Amulet (Gifted to me, I don't buy crowns often) There's my setup, Good luck on your journey.

Level 95Miguel

Mastermind
Jun 01, 2009
Yeah, I understand how bad that could get. On my first character, I had to solo for most of the game until later on, and that was super hard. Soloing everything, wow, I can only imagine. Most people work in teams because of the difficulty, but I understand how some people can't. I'm not sure that they should do something as drastic as cutting the cheat dungeons completely out of the storyline, but they should certainly lessen the strength of certain bosses. Anyway, good luck.

-Jasmine Owltalon, level 95 myth

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
@Luke~

At this point, I'm in the same position as you, except that I don't have friends to call on unless I stay up all night.

-

@Miguel~

- your setup includes the level 90 gear; as I've mentioned in previous posts, I am not level 90 and therefore couldn't wear the Tartarus elite gear if I wanted to.

-your setup also includes crowns gear; the whole point of me posting this was that crowns should not be required for quest progression, whether it's gear or henchmen or what have you. a single player completing the instance alone deserves just as much of a chance as someone with a billion friends and an infinite supply of the green stuff.

I'm not poor, by any means, but I'm realistic; the responsible adult in me knows that I have bills to pay, and that those sorts of things (rent, utilities, transportation to and from work, etc.) come first.

If KI is going to handicap solo players by making crowns required for quest prog, then I'm so done.

-v.

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
MiguelThefirst on Dec 27, 2013 wrote:
K so, I really like my Storm wizard too, But so far, only dungeons I've needed help on with my Storm wizard in Azteca was the fight with 2 bosses in the temple, Belloq, and Xibalba, If your having trouble maybe its your gear holding you back? I'll tell you my gear and deck set up:
Hat: Hades' Blackrain Helm
Robe: Black Thunker Armor
Boots: Heavy Rain Slippers
Wand: Hades' Staff of Tempests
Athame: Blade of the Felled Titan
Ring: Storm Owls Terror Ring
Deck: Starter Deck/Storm Sun Gallery
Pet: Gives 48 Critical Rate, 6 storm damage, and 9 resist
Deck for common enemies walking in the streets: 2 Colossal, One sharpened Blade, 1 Storm Lord, 1 Tempest, 2 Galvanic Fields, 2 Storm Blades.
Deck for bosses: (3-5 shields depending on bosses school) 3 Colossal, 2 Sharpened Blade, 4 Satyr, 3 Galvanic Field, 4 Storm Blades, 2 Storm Lords, and a Storm Owl.

The first deck goes along with Children of the Sea Medallion, second goes with Life Mastery Amulet (Gifted to me, I don't buy crowns often) There's my setup, Good luck on your journey.

Level 95Miguel
Sounds that your methods waste no cards. Though for me the larger the deck the better, I like to be ready for anything.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Dr Von on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:

-v.
First of all - please don't take this the wrong way - I really like your posts to the boards and value it. I completely agree with what you are saying. The game has long since surpassed what I consider fun any more also.

That being said - I don't think you took a long enough break from the game to forget the reasons why you needed said break. I am in the same frame of mind as you are with the state of the way game play vamps up too. I made the mistake of letting my yrly sub renew - I won't again.

Those who apparently don't have time limits and/or cash in this game have the best stuff and can say it's easy play or just get this or that. In my last swipe of the spiral I didn't meet and/or help any of these players. I met a lot of loners just trying to get help with stuff they try but can not finish.

I have come to the conclusion that it may not be in KI's best interest if they make a game more can play - why not weed out those willing to spend cash on crowns, for gear, pets, henchmen etc.. When I joined the game is was mostly kids, they had to ask for money for stuff they wanted usually, kids got parents and others interested and they have the wallet - no more middleman effect, kids leave game, parents/adults continue.

All in all for me, I just start a new wizard. Soon I will tire of repeating the same part of the game over and over again but I just can't seem to get motivated past the end of Zafaria.

In the end we all need to say "Heck no we won't go" when questing becomes more aggravation then anything else.

Mary

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
Dr Von on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
@Luke~

At this point, I'm in the same position as you, except that I don't have friends to call on unless I stay up all night.

-

@Miguel~

- your setup includes the level 90 gear; as I've mentioned in previous posts, I am not level 90 and therefore couldn't wear the Tartarus elite gear if I wanted to.

-your setup also includes crowns gear; the whole point of me posting this was that crowns should not be required for quest progression, whether it's gear or henchmen or what have you. a single player completing the instance alone deserves just as much of a chance as someone with a billion friends and an infinite supply of the green stuff.

I'm not poor, by any means, but I'm realistic; the responsible adult in me knows that I have bills to pay, and that those sorts of things (rent, utilities, transportation to and from work, etc.) come first.

If KI is going to handicap solo players by making crowns required for quest prog, then I'm so done.

-v.
-The game is solo-able without crowns, Just takes a matter of time to get the gear you need, Ghost Dog is possibly the hardest boss I've ever fought, But nonetheless with him it was a 1v1, and I won both fights, His cheat is massively powerful, I lost to him 3 times, But with the right gear, My death beat him :)
-Even though I did say level 90+ gear, You could still use the Woodland Tribal Hood, The Royal Storm Tunic, and the crafted block, I never thought the crafted block in Azteca for storm were worth it so I just kept my Eloquent Sandals, When fighting a storm boss I would use storm resist gear, and it would work fine for me, I don't remember the name of the hat and boots I used (I think they had the name Tempest) But still, The robe was Coat of the Zephyr, Sure it may seem like a terrible idea, But its not really, I had a pet who failed with Storm resist, and I use him along with it, with 60 Storm resist and then storm shields and storm dispels they can be easy, while you keep the storm damage suppressed you can kill the minion, If you need healing you can Pixie for a certain 400 health, Or go with Healing current which will take 3 pips for a chance with 100, 400, or 1,000, and the odds are that you will get a critical considering you are storm, The most recommended wand if you aren't going to use crowns is most likely the sword of kings (I personally don't know what wands to use from level 55+ because I have a crown wand that works with all schools at level 55+ then another at 65+ which is the best until 90+ wands)
-This is about as much as I can contribute, If you need help all you need to do is ask, Both my Storm and Death are willing to help, My storm can kill quickly, My death is one of the best healers/supports I know in the game.
(My death works with 29% incoming, 80% outgoing health, when he is healer/support) I've also been wanting to be a healer/support for a while now so I started a Life, Level 15 right now :D

-Another thing is I've seen you post on the Forums a lot, I've started posting about a month ago to try and help people, I've met up with a few people done hatches/dungeons and it would be great to meet with you.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I totally agree with your statements here Dr. Von. Cheat boss dungeons do not belong in the main quest line at all. They should be optional for those who choose to do them. All players should be able to complete main storyline events, solo, without crowns, or henchmen. I'm fine with other areas being more difficult, and even having bigger rewards for the difficulty -- but the main storyline, at least, should be open to all players regardless of how many friends they have or how much extra cash they have for fancy gear.

Personally, I don't mind spending money on crowns -- for me it is a fun little reward to indulge on crowns gear and such. But even with the best mix of crowns gear and crafted gear I could create for myself, I found the Azteca dungeons difficult and frustrating. (And I found Xibalba impossible without spending a lot on henchmen as well, since I also have to play solo much of the time.) I can't imagine how much of a pain it is without the extra boosts.

Of course, people will also say to just get the Hades gear -- but going through Hades dungeon is no walk in the park either, especially solo. So that is not a great solution either. You should not have to do the near-impossible side-dungeon in order to complete the near-impossible main story dungeon.

However, if you do decide to go, thanks for all your wonderful contributions to these message boards! I almost always enjoy what you have to say. You have a lot of constructive input, and a great sense of humor. You would be missed here.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
MiguelThefirst on Dec 29, 2013 wrote:
-The game is solo-able without crowns, Just takes a matter of time to get the gear you need, Ghost Dog is possibly the hardest boss I've ever fought, But nonetheless with him it was a 1v1, and I won both fights, His cheat is massively powerful, I lost to him 3 times, But with the right gear, My death beat him :)
-Even though I did say level 90+ gear, You could still use the Woodland Tribal Hood, The Royal Storm Tunic, and the crafted block, I never thought the crafted block in Azteca for storm were worth it so I just kept my Eloquent Sandals, When fighting a storm boss I would use storm resist gear, and it would work fine for me, I don't remember the name of the hat and boots I used (I think they had the name Tempest) But still, The robe was Coat of the Zephyr, Sure it may seem like a terrible idea, But its not really, I had a pet who failed with Storm resist, and I use him along with it, with 60 Storm resist and then storm shields and storm dispels they can be easy, while you keep the storm damage suppressed you can kill the minion, If you need healing you can Pixie for a certain 400 health, Or go with Healing current which will take 3 pips for a chance with 100, 400, or 1,000, and the odds are that you will get a critical considering you are storm, The most recommended wand if you aren't going to use crowns is most likely the sword of kings (I personally don't know what wands to use from level 55+ because I have a crown wand that works with all schools at level 55+ then another at 65+ which is the best until 90+ wands)
-This is about as much as I can contribute, If you need help all you need to do is ask, Both my Storm and Death are willing to help, My storm can kill quickly, My death is one of the best healers/supports I know in the game.
(My death works with 29% incoming, 80% outgoing health, when he is healer/support) I've also been wanting to be a healer/support for a while now so I started a Life, Level 15 right now :D

-Another thing is I've seen you post on the Forums a lot, I've started posting about a month ago to try and help people, I've met up with a few people done hatches/dungeons and it would be great to meet with you.
@Miguel~

I know it's soloable without crowns. My other 2 prometheans did it. But, unlike Storm, balance and death have the actual defensive stats (read: resist and crit block) required to survive in Azteca.

I was looking at the Azteca crafted gear earlier. It's a bunch of critical, plus resist/block to fire and ice~ there are 5 other schools that we need protection from, and that simply won't cut it; same with the Avalon stuff. I crafted the whole set, but the Eloquent Sandals are all I use from it.

Good news is, I found a random Crowns wand kicking around in my shared bank (must have been from some pack or something I bought once). My crit rating is practically nonexistent, but I would rather have no crit and high block than the other way around.

-

@Mary~

I think you're right. I cancelled both subs, which were set to renew on July 18th, and came back around Halloween... Which, in retrospect, I agree was nowhere near long enough. But the other game I play is not social at all, and I missed the friendships I'd made here and on Central, so I renewed both subs in October.

I get that KI is a business. But I shouldn't have to suffer, just because my friends are in time-zones 4 hours behind me and I can't meet up with them on a weekday/therefore get stuck at every cheat dungeon and have to save them for days off, when I *can* stay up all night and actually get help that I don't have to pay for.

It drives me nuts that KI is pushing mastery amulets and crowns. Storm and Balance are 2 schools that practically require them at the upper levels, and I refuse to buy into the idea that I /need/ one to compete; ergo, I'm not leaving the game again just yet, as I know that doing so means I won't come back.

(I finally found help for Belloq and Tartarus... it is now 1 in the morning and I have to be up at 7; why must unwilling solo players suffer so?)

-v.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Von, I hear your frustration though I can't off we any advice, I am happy to help. I'm in Central time zone so should be more conducive to meet up, without depriving either of us of sleep.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
-The Battle Etiquette that you posted was absolutely wonderful, but you have to ask for help of random people sometimes, I've offered my help, My death is one of the best Storm supports I've ever had/seen, When I do Tartarus its usually with randoms, It can be a tough battle, but if you show your skill in the first battle with them they will either listen to you, or they will support your ideas, I usually take command in Tartarus and Xibalba, What is your timezone? I'm still only 15 and will be getting a job as soon as I'm 16 (They are waiting for my application) and during week days I can just tell my friends I wont hang out with them a certain day so I can meet up with you and help you out, I'm a dependable person, We could do Belloq with just my death, He has Exalted balance mastery so he can balance dispel if he doesn't have a 1 pip 2 pip or wand attack, and when you do hit he can place a feint, Even if he gets hit with a Ra and somehow you die with me, I can instantly heal myself with a high healing boost that I have, In any dungeon I've ever had trouble in I had 1 friend I could complete it with always if I couldn't do it alone, me and my friend Mike can complete any dungeon in record time, (Our fastest Tartarus run was 42 minutes or a little less) I am in the East. Time Zone, Any time for me from 2 P.M. through 11 P.M. (East) is good for me, I can extend the time from 11 P.M. to about 12 P.M. if we are finishing the dungeon.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
Dr Von,

To echo the other responders, I extend a helping hand in order for your character to continue
progression. Your posts are quite entertaining to say the least and you appear to be the type of player I commonly look for in a group-play atmosphere.

I am not in your time zone, but I usually have several hours of time on many evenings for my gaming. I am an adult so I do not have a time limit other than my own body-clock telling me it's time to log off. I anxiously await my child's character to level into Crit-Hit/Block gear so she can help out dear ol' Dad, but, at the moment, her character would be of no use in assisting you.

I play on the Lincoln Realm 99% of the time due to its low population, changing to a busier Realm ONLY to complete content similar to what you described in your OP.

If you find you have the time, I ask you to peruse some of my other posts/responses, and you will find that I repeat my offer of service to others in hopes of finding like-minded players to occasionally, or frequently play Wizard101.

Looking forward to reading from you again,

Gabriel Archmage

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Omegagan on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
Von, I hear your frustration though I can't off we any advice, I am happy to help. I'm in Central time zone so should be more conducive to meet up, without depriving either of us of sleep.
Oh, a 2-hour time difference is much more doable than 4!

I do have a full house for Xibalba (since Wednesday is a stat holiday and I can, therefore, stay up later), but still have a LOT of Tartarus runs to do... 3 wizards who need their gear (oh, man).

I'd love to meet you in-game; if you have a Central account, feel free to send me (El Veeb) a message; I like meeting new friends, and would be happy to include your wizards among them!

See you in the Spiral!
-v.

90 (finally)

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
Dr Von on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
@Miguel~

I know it's soloable without crowns. My other 2 prometheans did it. But, unlike Storm, balance and death have the actual defensive stats (read: resist and crit block) required to survive in Azteca.

I was looking at the Azteca crafted gear earlier. It's a bunch of critical, plus resist/block to fire and ice~ there are 5 other schools that we need protection from, and that simply won't cut it; same with the Avalon stuff. I crafted the whole set, but the Eloquent Sandals are all I use from it.

Good news is, I found a random Crowns wand kicking around in my shared bank (must have been from some pack or something I bought once). My crit rating is practically nonexistent, but I would rather have no crit and high block than the other way around.

-

@Mary~

I think you're right. I cancelled both subs, which were set to renew on July 18th, and came back around Halloween... Which, in retrospect, I agree was nowhere near long enough. But the other game I play is not social at all, and I missed the friendships I'd made here and on Central, so I renewed both subs in October.

I get that KI is a business. But I shouldn't have to suffer, just because my friends are in time-zones 4 hours behind me and I can't meet up with them on a weekday/therefore get stuck at every cheat dungeon and have to save them for days off, when I *can* stay up all night and actually get help that I don't have to pay for.

It drives me nuts that KI is pushing mastery amulets and crowns. Storm and Balance are 2 schools that practically require them at the upper levels, and I refuse to buy into the idea that I /need/ one to compete; ergo, I'm not leaving the game again just yet, as I know that doing so means I won't come back.

(I finally found help for Belloq and Tartarus... it is now 1 in the morning and I have to be up at 7; why must unwilling solo players suffer so?)

-v.

I know how that one feels. i'm in a far off time zone, too, and it's not exactly what you would call "simple" when trying to set up a time frame or date to meet up with friends in the game. I have friends scattered all across the time zone board and it's been a hassle for me as well when I need help questing, which isn't that often.

Have you tried going into the Ambrose and/or Wu realm when ever you actually get the chance to play and need to find someone to help if no friends are around? I usually see loads of players in the early to late afternoon hanging around the spiral in places, whom are usually looking for something to do.

To the part of your post about being up late.. Gosh, that's a tough one sometimes with being adult (I am one myself) and trying to balance the schedule to play isn't always fun.

Good luck

Delver
Aug 26, 2012
Dr. Von I'm joining the people here and can help you. Even though it sounds kind of wrong a lvl 77 helping an 89. Look for me on the Seraph realm. And I have no time limits so I can help you

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Finding people to team with really helps. The assistance groups on fan sites are great if you get stuck. I like cheat dungeons with a group but not solo.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
you guys are awesome~ to everyone who offered help, i appreciate the gesture and would love to meet up with you guys in game, regardless of level.

i have 2 wizards with xibalba as their only remaining quest in azteca; i still have a bunch of tartarus runs, since i now have 3 who need gear, so by all means send me a message on central if you have an account there (if you don't, it's free to make one).

joining random groups is great, when the zone you're in isn't a ghost town (which, when i'm able to play, most of azteca is).

as i write this, it's 7:15pm my time... maybe i'll see some of you in game!

-v.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Von,
I'm in the Eastern Time Zone.
I play Monday thru Thursday, from about 8pm EST till 12AM EST, and am on basically 24/7 throughout the weekends.
I'm a LvL 95 Death, LvL 83 Balance, LvL 58 Storm and LvL 56 Myth, with constant access to a LvL 83 Fire and LvL 86 Balance who quest with me whenever I'm on.

I'm more than happy to lend a helping hand whenever you'd like.