Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cheating boss... but no warning?

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
When I went into Matkis Axethief's dungeon, there was no cheat warning. I get in there and, on the first turn, he reshuffles my cards 3 TIMES in one go... what's that about? Since when do we not get cheat-warnings anymore?

(For a time, I just assumed that every boss post-Dragonspyre cheated, but was pleasantly-surprised to note that none of the ones I've faced thus far have done so... Maybe it's my fault, for letting my guard down, but it doesn't seem right. Any boss or instance that requires us to alter our decks in a significant way /should/ give players a cheat-warning).

After that, I looked it up on Wiki, which says he only reshuffles on blades or shields... but he did it to me on traps and auras as well. Either someone's wrong, or I'm just lucky.
>_<

Question #1:

I could just spam Unbalance (I'm a sorcerer), but wouldn't that just trigger his cheat?

#2:

Is this something I could do myself (I'm in the Atlantic time-zone, so I'm about 4 hours ahead of my friends), or do I /need/ other people around to complete the instance?

Any suggestions are welcome. ;)

L.S.
transcended/76

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I managed to complete the boss by myself. I too was surprised that he cheated, and his cheat is to reshuffle your deck.

What I also noticed, was that the cards that are visible to choose from do not shuffle, only the ones you can't see. Every time he shuffled, I had the same visible cards.

I also keep as small a deck as I can when going against bosses (even smaller for street thugs), and keep a reshuffle or two in the deck if I need them. That way, if I reshuffle, or in this case, the boss reshuffles, I'm not too worried about it, as I will still be able to get the cards I need.

There are other bosses in Avalon that cheat and don't tell you or give any hint. Young Morganthe is the worst, but she's actually not the last boss you fight. The last one cheats, too, but that one is super easy to deal with.

Good luck!

(PS: I've still been looking for you in Avalon, but I think your broom is too fast for me ...... hahaha) :)

Explorer
Apr 28, 2009
vonawesome1 wrote:
When I went into Matkis Axethief's dungeon, there was no cheat warning. I get in there and, on the first turn, he reshuffles my cards 3 TIMES in one go... what's that about? Since when do we not get cheat-warnings anymore?

(For a time, I just assumed that every boss post-Dragonspyre cheated, but was pleasantly-surprised to note that none of the ones I've faced thus far have done so... Maybe it's my fault, for letting my guard down, but it doesn't seem right. Any boss or instance that requires us to alter our decks in a significant way /should/ give players a cheat-warning).

After that, I looked it up on Wiki, which says he only reshuffles on blades or shields... but he did it to me on traps and auras as well. Either someone's wrong, or I'm just lucky.
>_<

Question #1:

I could just spam Unbalance (I'm a sorcerer), but wouldn't that just trigger his cheat?

#2:

Is this something I could do myself (I'm in the Atlantic time-zone, so I'm about 4 hours ahead of my friends), or do I /need/ other people around to complete the instance?

L.S.
transcended/76

Hmmm... since when were ther cheat warning (other than in the various forums). The only cheat warnings were in Wysteria.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
What I don't understand is how is being reshuffled a bad thing? Other than the fact you have to sit there and watch him reshuffle you 3 times in row.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
malt22 wrote:
What I don't understand is how is being reshuffled a bad thing? Other than the fact you have to sit there and watch him reshuffle you 3 times in row.

That was also a very puzzling moment for me. i noticed like Quequeg, that the cards you had already in hand were not even affected. I just kept asking myself what is the point of this? It doesn't even affect anything since you didn't have those cards (the ones being reshuffled) anyways.

In my paranoid state, i just kept thinking something else must be up and i am just missing it. i just couldn't comprehend that the reshuffle was the whole cheat.

Anyways, he has another cheat which occurs when you fizzle. he hits you with a power link.

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
igor2340 wrote:
vonawesome1 wrote:

>_<

Question #1:

#2:

L.S.
transcended/76

Hmmm... since when were ther cheat warning (other than in the various forums). The only cheat warnings were in Wysteria.

dont forget briskbreeze, warehouse and waterworks. you get warned about cheats there

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
nagashiki wrote:
malt22 wrote:

That was also a very puzzling moment for me. i noticed like Quequeg, that the cards you had already in hand were not even affected. I just kept asking myself what is the point of this? It doesn't even affect anything since you didn't have those cards (the ones being reshuffled) anyways.

In my paranoid state, i just kept thinking something else must be up and i am just missing it. i just couldn't comprehend that the reshuffle was the whole cheat.

Anyways, he has another cheat which occurs when you fizzle. he hits you with a power link.

I eventually managed to beat him, and you're right- this time, the reshuffling didn't affect my cards. But there was a chunk of time that I spent spamming Unbalance... haven't had to do that since Dragonspyre.

I found out about the fizzle-cheat the hard way, but it was near the end and I only fizzled once. I knocked him out before that Power Link ran its course.

It would appear that some people are confused as to what I meant by a cheat warning. I was referring to the dialogue (like in the fizzle-cheat)- another example would be in Trial of the Spheres, when Ptolemus says, "You have charmed your way into my heart", meaning no traps, blades only.

Thanks to everyone who commented- I have, rather fortunately, put this behind me and am moving on up. ;)

Onward, upward, & Edward,
(not that sparkly vamp Cullen)

El Veeb
transcendent/79