Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Return "Wild Bolt" spell to original form.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 21, 2011
Hi there, Wizards and Witches! My name is Olivia and I am a level 84 Storm wizard. Today I'm going to be talking about the old Wild Bolt. If you're new around town, I'll explain. Back in 2010, Wild Bolt did a solid 1000 damage with 10% accuracy. It became the king spell of PvP, people complained about how unfair it was, and in late December of 2010, Kingsisle put the complaining to rest by changing the spell to what it is today, 10, 100, or 1000 damage with 70% accuracy. This definitely angered many Diviners and brought peace and happiness to all other schools in the PvP world, Storm was no longer the majority.

As we all know (and if you don't you're about to), Insane Bolt recently became a big spell in PvP. 1000 damage to enemy or 10000 damage to self, people complained, and Kingisle put the complaining to rest by changing it to a non-PvP spell. It still does the same damage, but the use is limited to spell casting done outside the arena.

My proposal is to bring the old Wild Bolt back, a solid 1000 at 10%, but limit the spell to PvE rather than PvP. Most storm wizards do not even use this spell, if it were to be changed, it's usefulness would be greatly improved and would help out in the newer harder worlds.

I would love to read all of your thoughts on this, I don't mind criticism as long as it's positive!

SO What do you think?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Actually, I like this a lot. It would still take low level wizards a while to accumulate enough charms to reach a dangerous level of accuracy with this (infallible + 20% precision card + gear).

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
The first thing I think is, given your wizard101 join date, you weren't even around when these changes took place. The second thing I think is, wild bolt and insane bolt weren't the only spells changed and nerfed. Guardian Spirit was dramatically changed and I still have a foul taste in my mouth over that. We have to except the changes KI makes, and trust that they know what they are doing.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
BELGRIM 101 on Nov 20, 2013 wrote:
The first thing I think is, given your wizard101 join date, you weren't even around when these changes took place. The second thing I think is, wild bolt and insane bolt weren't the only spells changed and nerfed. Guardian Spirit was dramatically changed and I still have a foul taste in my mouth over that. We have to except the changes KI makes, and trust that they know what they are doing.
Join date is irrelevant. People often play for a long time before joining the forums.

And did you really just post in the Suggestion forum that we have to accept what the developers are doing? That is the very definition of backward.

Hero
May 02, 2009
Sorry, but no. With all of the accuracy buffs in the game right now, storm wizards can just boost it up to over 100% and just spam it constantly as their main attack for 1000 base storm damage each time. This way, it still has a chance to hit 1000, but it also has a chance to hit for 10 or 100 as well. Just be glad that 1 damage is no longer a possibility like it was in early celestia test realm.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
I have actually had many accounts before this one. Because of this, I don't know my exact join date, but I know that my first account was made in January of 2009.

Defender
Apr 07, 2012
Kingsisle Changed it because they said wizards use it for spamming but luckily they used to fizzle when celestia came out they could use unstoppable spell so they lower its 15 150 1500 or 10 100 1000
P.S IF Your Olivia stormcloud Please Join the Blue Wizard team 6583 Fans Remaning is the winner

Explorer
Sep 19, 2010
Lucas Rain on Nov 21, 2013 wrote:
Join date is irrelevant. People often play for a long time before joining the forums.

And did you really just post in the Suggestion forum that we have to accept what the developers are doing? That is the very definition of backward.
No kind sir, the join date listed here in the forums is the date you created your wizard. Therefore it is relevant.

Defender
Aug 26, 2011
being someone who has to deal with "storm critical spammers" i think you have to look at what would hapen to hades storm players in PvP. their main spell is... wild bolt! why? colossal, that's why. they can literally kill very many of us on turn 2-3, from second. i think if you take that away the negative response will be way bigger than the positive.

my thoughts.
Gabriel Ashcaller level 79 warlord

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Though I am not a Storm wizard myself, I am all for a reversion back to the old spell, since it was changed the game dynamics, gear, etc have changed greatly and I think current game environment can handle it.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Being a level 95 storm wizard, I don't really see the need for this reversion. Insane Bolt fills that niche for those who want it. Wild Bolt already has great odds of doing good damage. With colossal, there's virtually no difference in the damage between 10 and 100 anyways, and on the lucky shots when you hit 1000 with critical it does around 4500-5000 without any blades/traps (quite frequently with Hades gear or Azteca craft).

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
flash33 on Nov 21, 2013 wrote:
Sorry, but no. With all of the accuracy buffs in the game right now, storm wizards can just boost it up to over 100% and just spam it constantly as their main attack for 1000 base storm damage each time. This way, it still has a chance to hit 1000, but it also has a chance to hit for 10 or 100 as well. Just be glad that 1 damage is no longer a possibility like it was in early celestia test realm.
How could any storm do this every round with a 10% accuracy attack? What accuracy boosts are you thinking of?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Gabriel 1 savage p... on Nov 22, 2013 wrote:
being someone who has to deal with "storm critical spammers" i think you have to look at what would hapen to hades storm players in PvP. their main spell is... wild bolt! why? colossal, that's why. they can literally kill very many of us on turn 2-3, from second. i think if you take that away the negative response will be way bigger than the positive.

my thoughts.
Gabriel Ashcaller level 79 warlord
In fact, the main spell is wild bolt because of shields. People are strategic. Why waste multiple rounds charging up a big attack when your opponent can just shield it? The current form of Wild Bolt is the most economical hit storm has with their low pip rate, lack of storm DoT hits, and the high probability of an opponent shielding.

If spamming is a problem, there are multiple ways to fix it. A 10% spell, almost no matter how you slice it, cannot be spammed--the fizzle rate would be too high. And it could be lowered to 1% if people are still scared of what Wild Bolt might do.

But considering the 10% Wild Bolt card, even if you used Extraordinary (+35%), you would still need to activate tc Infallible (+20%) and have very high accuracy gear to avoid fizzling. (And if you have accuracy gear on, you cannot have critical boosting Hades gear. It evens out.)

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
No. Just..no. Wild bolt was changed for a reason. Gear accuracy (around 20, usually) + tc infallible (20) + accuracy enchant (15) = 65 accuracy. 1000 damage + critical + 100 damage + enchant + possibly blades = Overpowered. No 2 pip spell should be able to do 1000 damage, no matter what the accuracy. This would make storm even more unbalanced than it already is, especially because of shrike. No other school gets such a huge advantage. Why give storm one, and unbalance all levels of pvp even more?

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
BaileyOliviaWizard... on Nov 20, 2013 wrote:
Hi there, Wizards and Witches! My name is Olivia and I am a level 84 Storm wizard. Today I'm going to be talking about the old Wild Bolt. If you're new around town, I'll explain. Back in 2010, Wild Bolt did a solid 1000 damage with 10% accuracy. It became the king spell of PvP, people complained about how unfair it was, and in late December of 2010, Kingsisle put the complaining to rest by changing the spell to what it is today, 10, 100, or 1000 damage with 70% accuracy. This definitely angered many Diviners and brought peace and happiness to all other schools in the PvP world, Storm was no longer the majority.

As we all know (and if you don't you're about to), Insane Bolt recently became a big spell in PvP. 1000 damage to enemy or 10000 damage to self, people complained, and Kingisle put the complaining to rest by changing it to a non-PvP spell. It still does the same damage, but the use is limited to spell casting done outside the arena.

My proposal is to bring the old Wild Bolt back, a solid 1000 at 10%, but limit the spell to PvE rather than PvP. Most storm wizards do not even use this spell, if it were to be changed, it's usefulness would be greatly improved and would help out in the newer harder worlds.

I would love to read all of your thoughts on this, I don't mind criticism as long as it's positive!

SO What do you think?
I think this is a good idea. Storm will get some power and maybe the "Storm is terrible" would go down when they see the "new" spell.
-Molly, whose almost been playing for 1 year!

Explorer
Jul 01, 2011
BaileyOliviaWizard... on Nov 20, 2013 wrote:

SO What do you think?
Most of the comments I read below, did not understand you very well, talking about pvp or when YOU started playing. Anyway I agree it should come back for PVE as the old wild bolt.

Level 95

Survivor
May 21, 2011
I had a fun time reading all of the positive and negative responses and I would like to take a moment to clear some stuff up.

1.) This post is about a spell, not about when I joined. As mentioned above, I have had previous accounts and my original join date was somewhere after the new year 2009.

2.) Changing this spell would be two parts, the first part making it a solid 1000 damage at 10%, and the second part making the spell limited to spell casting done OUTSIDE of the arena.

This spell would not be used in PVP if it were to be changed.

3.) Spamming a spell with 10% accuracy takes a large amount of time, treasure cards, and expensive crowns/crafted gear.

4.) The state that the game was in in 2010 has changed drastically, now the only wizards capable of high critical, accuracy boost, and damage boost are the players who devote money and time to the game and crafting. As mentioned above, the game would be able to withstand this change without going crazy and disturbing the balance of the schools.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
BaileyOliviaWizard... on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
I had a fun time reading all of the positive and negative responses and I would like to take a moment to clear some stuff up.

1.) This post is about a spell, not about when I joined. As mentioned above, I have had previous accounts and my original join date was somewhere after the new year 2009.

2.) Changing this spell would be two parts, the first part making it a solid 1000 damage at 10%, and the second part making the spell limited to spell casting done OUTSIDE of the arena.

This spell would not be used in PVP if it were to be changed.

3.) Spamming a spell with 10% accuracy takes a large amount of time, treasure cards, and expensive crowns/crafted gear.

4.) The state that the game was in in 2010 has changed drastically, now the only wizards capable of high critical, accuracy boost, and damage boost are the players who devote money and time to the game and crafting. As mentioned above, the game would be able to withstand this change without going crazy and disturbing the balance of the schools.
It's not about the ability to withstand it. It's about it adding nothing to the game. The spell at 10% is useless, the wild bolt as it is rarely hits the 10 unless you cast it without a sun enhancement. Colossal for me almost always does 2300 or 5000, without blades or traps. There's no point in going to a spell that fizzles all the time when the one that DOESN"T already works.