Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Redesign thoughts

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
When wizard101 first came online, everyone had slow computers with poor grahics capabilities. It was standard then for video games to be low polygon, low res, and to reuse as much content as possible. Thus we have areas like wizard city through dragonspyre where everything is basically one street of buildings just repeated over and over. Even areas like the dark cave and the haunted cave are just the same one street of buildings with a roof - they're nothing at all like a cave.

But times have changed. Technology has improved. And that's not been the case for a very long time.

The worlds from Celestia on to Karmel are fantasic landscapes that are fun to just run around on. It's so different from the look of the first original areas that it's almost a different game.

There was a little TINY bit of revamping done this summer that everyone's all excited about - but nothing really changed. All the areas in Wizard city through dragonspyre, with the exception of a very few spots (like the commons) are exact duplicates repeated over and over and over and are BORING!!!!!

Please - KI has a new gaming company behind it now, one that understands that a virtual world needs to look like it's being developed in 2021, not 2008 - can Wizard City through Dragonspyre get a complete graphical overhaul?

And along with that, can the Malistair storyline get an overhaul so that he doens't die and go to happily ever after at the end of dragonspyre, then come back and have to go to happily ever after AGAIN in darkmoor? Maybe fight him at the end of dragonspyre, but have him teleport away - or be teleported by old cobb - and then when we beat him at the end of darkmoor it'll make a LOT more sense than it does now.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Malistaire makes perfect sense. He joins Sylvia in the afterlife in Dragonspyre, but is resurrected in his Undying form by Morganthe in Azteca. He gets yeeted off into the void on Xibalba, and ends up in Darkmoor to challenge you. I fail to see how Grandfather Spider's intervention makes any more sense since he's still locked up in Khrysalis.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2011
crystalwizard12345... on Oct 13, 2021 wrote:
When wizard101 first came online, everyone had slow computers with poor grahics capabilities. It was standard then for video games to be low polygon, low res, and to reuse as much content as possible. Thus we have areas like wizard city through dragonspyre where everything is basically one street of buildings just repeated over and over. Even areas like the dark cave and the haunted cave are just the same one street of buildings with a roof - they're nothing at all like a cave.

But times have changed. Technology has improved. And that's not been the case for a very long time.

The worlds from Celestia on to Karmel are fantasic landscapes that are fun to just run around on. It's so different from the look of the first original areas that it's almost a different game.

There was a little TINY bit of revamping done this summer that everyone's all excited about - but nothing really changed. All the areas in Wizard city through dragonspyre, with the exception of a very few spots (like the commons) are exact duplicates repeated over and over and over and are BORING!!!!!

Please - KI has a new gaming company behind it now, one that understands that a virtual world needs to look like it's being developed in 2021, not 2008 - can Wizard City through Dragonspyre get a complete graphical overhaul?

And along with that, can the Malistair storyline get an overhaul so that he doens't die and go to happily ever after at the end of dragonspyre, then come back and have to go to happily ever after AGAIN in darkmoor? Maybe fight him at the end of dragonspyre, but have him teleport away - or be teleported by old cobb - and then when we beat him at the end of darkmoor it'll make a LOT more sense than it does now.
Compared to 2009 when I first played Wizard101 to now, the graphics & are amazingly revamped with still having a nostalgic touch for us Elder Wizards. There are still plenty of obvious flaws though, I agree that could be redone in the crown shop alone. (like that ol' Manta Ray saddle & riding position, yikes who would ever spend money on that? )

Malistair can stay defeated in DS imo, maybe have the ghost of his evil power catch up with you in the new world Lumeria for some magical revenge would be a cool add to his storyline. Definitely someone I wouldn't mind battling again but I personally liked how that storyline ended in DS.

Survivor
Aug 20, 2009
to TaylorKnightCloud - glad you mentioned the Manta Ray mount. When it was first released, the wizard was seated in a "normal" position. I liked this mount but stopped using it once KI changed how the wizard is positioned on the mount - it is painful to look at.
KI - please look at the positioning of the wizard on the Manta Ray and return it to its original or more normal positioning.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
TaylorKnightCloud on Oct 14, 2021 wrote:
Compared to 2009 when I first played Wizard101 to now, the graphics & are amazingly revamped with still having a nostalgic touch for us Elder Wizards. There are still plenty of obvious flaws though, I agree that could be redone in the crown shop alone. (like that ol' Manta Ray saddle & riding position, yikes who would ever spend money on that? )

Malistair can stay defeated in DS imo, maybe have the ghost of his evil power catch up with you in the new world Lumeria for some magical revenge would be a cool add to his storyline. Definitely someone I wouldn't mind battling again but I personally liked how that storyline ended in DS.

Nostalgia is bad for good game design.

And the entire point of Malistair is, that with darkmoor, he doesn't stay defeated. He is back, angry, still furious about losing sylvia AND now he has shadow. You have to defeat him all over again and then you \have to sit through a cut scene while she convinces him to walk with her to the other side.

exactly as if he wasn't defeated for real at the end of dragonspyre and didn't go off with sylvia into the happily ever after.