Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Purchase spell learning points in crown shop?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 30, 2010
What if You could purchase extra learning points in the crown shop for You wizard so that You can master more schools.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2012
Agreed. I really need to learn tower shield and satyr .

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I think it would cause a greater feeling of "pay to win".

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
This would unbalance the game.

Suppose the cost for one extra train point was 300 crowns. You could have a maximum of 100 train points total, including the quest ones.

Everyone with crowns would buy up to their max, and know every buyable spell. Matches in PVP would degenerate into who went first, as each side would be racing to hit their mass destruction spell.

Questing would be a lot more linear. See mob, stack deck against that mob's school and tactics. Not much incentive to strike allegiances with wizards from other schools when everybody has trained Satyr, Hydra, Tower, all the astral spells, etc.

Suppose instead, the cost went up to 3000 or 10000 or 30000 crowns.

Now we would see the wheels really fall off the cart, as players with money ALWAYS had access to more and better spells than no-crowns players.

PVP would essentially become the domain of the big spenders. It's already out of reach to nonmembers, let's just make it that much more exclusive. Now, ranked PVP is probably a large money maker for KI since it encourages players to purchase memberships to compete. However, the law of diminishing returns says if it's clearly two-tiered based on a large injection of cash, a lot of ambitious no-crowns players would probably not bother.

Questing would be a joke, with the same problems as above, except that now the wealthy players would progress much faster, leaving their no-crowns friends far behind.

At least buying henchmen has the drawback of being temporary and somewhat unpredictable.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
No, those are earned as you progress through the Spiral and should remain as such.

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
I don't agree because you might master all the schools up to your level and that would make you too powerful.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Molly DreamCloud on May 18, 2013 wrote:
Agreed. I really need to learn tower shield and satyr .
Just level up and do Zekes quests. I am level 86, when I did the math you could get plenty of good spells (good spells in my opinion) and have 5-6 points left.

Explorer
Mar 30, 2011
yay i need to learn spirt strap so i can unlease a powerful forest lord

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
The First Swashbuc... on May 19, 2013 wrote:
yay i need to learn spirt strap so i can unlease a powerful forest lord
You can train Spirit trap at lvl 25 from Niles at the Krokosphinx.

As Farmvillefan has stated, doing Zeke's quests will give you Training points. There are also a few others along the way that also give them. But the fact remains, these are EARNED not bought.

With all the millions of players that have played and still play, this would be extremely unfair and create a lot of rants on the boards. They earned everyone they have by completing the quests needed for them.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
This would affect the nature of PvP the most. It already does to a certain degree. People with two accounts can have their high level wizard on one account take a low level wizard on a different account to all the Zeke Quest locations and get a lot of training points that shouldn't be accessible to them. If they have changed this feature, I'm unaware of it.

In low level PvP having 5 or more extra training points can make a huge difference. I have seen low level wizards that have far too many side school spells for their level. An example would be a level 35 Myth that has Weakness, Infection, Cloak, Stun Block, and Tower Shield trained. Not possible unless you had another high level wizard help you complete Zeke's quests.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
In addition to the other points made above, the concept of specializing in a school of magic would be lost. Basically everybody would have access to the same spells reducing ravenwood to a single school of magic with every spell available.

I would prefer if schools were made more unique. Some schools shouldn't be allowed to learn other school spells, or even use certain treasure cards. It doesn't make sense that a life wizard can summon a wraith. Or an Ice wizard can summon a fire spell.

I would like to see more spells, pets, and gear (clothing and wand graphics) that are unique to specific schools.

~ RottenHeart

Explorer
May 06, 2012
it would be no fair. in pvp matches how can beat someone with so many spells?

Survivor
Apr 14, 2012
I personally think it would be a good idea if you could buy training points because sometimes when you can get a new spell but you don't have training points you can get frustrated .Let's say you could buy 5 training points for 5,000 crowns or 10 training points for 10,000 crowns,may not seem as much,but it's worth it. it also may get people to buy more crowns to get more powerful.
I certainly would.
Hunter Deaththeif

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
logan lifemender on May 5, 2013 wrote:
What if You could purchase extra learning points in the crown shop for You wizard so that You can master more schools.
that would be awesome
maybe 1000 for one training point
2 for 2000
3 for 3000
5 for 6000
8 for 9000
10 for 12000

that would be awesome

Alex battlebane Balance level 58

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
I'm going with the people who say no to this point. When I go to pvp i already lose a lot. That would be amplified by the amount of wizards who could pay to get good spells instead of working up to it like many of the other wizards had to do. I do agree with the fact that paying for training points would severely unbalance the game and make it unfair and not very fun for other wizards.

Explorer
Nov 05, 2011
I don't like the idea of buying training points.

However that being said:

I would love to see them as ultra rare drops in a water works type dungeon.

Maybe with the same drop rate as the mastery amulets.

Calamity PixieShade, level 90

Explorer
Mar 18, 2012
Wizgamer105 on May 19, 2013 wrote:
Just level up and do Zekes quests. I am level 86, when I did the math you could get plenty of good spells (good spells in my opinion) and have 5-6 points left.
You do make a point, but my membership expires tomorrow or maybe even today. I can't find everything. Plus, I am only level 42. My goal was to reach level 50 before my membership expired, and as you can tell that was a big fail... my parents wont buy me more membership because they think it's a waste of money.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
That would make the game way too easy. That means I can buy tons of training points and then buy all the spells in all schools. No this should not be added.