Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet talent buy back?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 18, 2012
40
What about a "swap talent" feature that would entirely eliminate 1 learned talent for another random slot for x amount of crowns? Make it happen.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
945
JOPIX227 on Jan 13, 2015 wrote:
What about a "swap talent" feature that would entirely eliminate 1 learned talent for another random slot for x amount of crowns? Make it happen.
No. You should not be able to just buy the perfect pet.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
I'd pay up to 800 crowns to have this as an option (the equivalent of 2 Purreau's Potion #9 pet timer reset elixirs).

Survivor
May 18, 2012
40
lewski on Jan 13, 2015 wrote:
No. You should not be able to just buy the perfect pet.
Give me one valid reason other than "I already have the perfect pet so I don't want anyone else to have one."

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
945
JOPIX227 on Jan 14, 2015 wrote:
Give me one valid reason other than "I already have the perfect pet so I don't want anyone else to have one."
I actually don't have a perfect pet, it'd just make the game pay to win. And that's a bad thing.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
299
JOPIX227 on Jan 14, 2015 wrote:
Give me one valid reason other than "I already have the perfect pet so I don't want anyone else to have one."
There are enough people complaining after their near perfect pet learns a selfish talent at epic, now, lets BUY a talent, and complain when that one is useless too.

There's many reasons;
1. would majorly decrease need for breeding
2. Would severely reduce use of pet snacks and Mega's(Possible Crown Loss for KI)
3. Would completely destroy the fact that to now, everyone had to work for the 'Perfect Pet"

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
JOPIX227 on Jan 14, 2015 wrote:
Give me one valid reason other than "I already have the perfect pet so I don't want anyone else to have one."
The valid reason was already given. You should not be allowed to buy a perfect pet. The best gear and pets in the game are already available to everyone willing to put in the effort, not just to the people that can afford to buy the latest thing at will. From the business standpoint, it would also decrease sales of snack packs and seeds. It really eliminates the need for repeated hatching and constantly improving pets. Selling pet talents like this pretty much eliminates the point of gardening, pet training, hatching, grub guardian... and any income from those.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
seethe42 on Jan 14, 2015 wrote:
The valid reason was already given. You should not be allowed to buy a perfect pet. The best gear and pets in the game are already available to everyone willing to put in the effort, not just to the people that can afford to buy the latest thing at will. From the business standpoint, it would also decrease sales of snack packs and seeds. It really eliminates the need for repeated hatching and constantly improving pets. Selling pet talents like this pretty much eliminates the point of gardening, pet training, hatching, grub guardian... and any income from those.
No one would lose money in sales if the right price tag is attached to the capability being discussed. Additionally, you can't logically buy back a talent if you haven't learned one, so players still have to garden, train, or play Grub Guardian. And, there's no guarantee your pet's gene pool will carry the right talents, so lots of hatching would still occur. In short, the sky is not falling.

Getting a perfect pet is a practice that already favors those who pay. If it were all about effort and only effort, there'd be no Purreau's #9. No crowns shop energy elixirs either, or crowns shop gardening seeds. But yet we have all those things and people are buying them with great frequency. The effort argument is a fiction that only ties us to the status quo, and buyback could be a proposal that turns a profit if done well.

Survivor
May 18, 2012
40
Lucas Rain on Jan 14, 2015 wrote:
No one would lose money in sales if the right price tag is attached to the capability being discussed. Additionally, you can't logically buy back a talent if you haven't learned one, so players still have to garden, train, or play Grub Guardian. And, there's no guarantee your pet's gene pool will carry the right talents, so lots of hatching would still occur. In short, the sky is not falling.

Getting a perfect pet is a practice that already favors those who pay. If it were all about effort and only effort, there'd be no Purreau's #9. No crowns shop energy elixirs either, or crowns shop gardening seeds. But yet we have all those things and people are buying them with great frequency. The effort argument is a fiction that only ties us to the status quo, and buyback could be a proposal that turns a profit if done well.
Well said.

You'd still need to hatch the talents into the genepool, no one is suggesting a 'I pick and buy every talent I want my pet to have without the effort of seeking out and cultivating these talents' feature, not even close.

I'm sure everyone who has devoted the weeks, months and for some even years it takes to bring a pet to mega knows the crushing disappointment and frustration of having a pet learn a seriously undesired talent at that stage. A talent swap would greatly benefit the vast majority of players and those complaining about money changing hands should stick to free to play, because coinage is rooted in the entirety of this game. It's a paid game. This feature would benefit everyone.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
299
OK...
So...
At epic, my pet learns CRAFTY...
Instead of spending the gold to rehatch him, gardening to get all the mega's I'm going to need to epic the new pet, and the potions I'll need to hatch it right away and and buy back my energy to continue training after I hit 0 points, I simply spend a few crowns and reroll that trait....

How is this not removing the need for rehatching?
How is this not removing the need to garden for snacks or simply purchase the packs?
How is this not buying your perfect pet?

All of my pets have the traits I like in their pool. I'd not have to crossbreed against anything to get what I wanted, I'd simply reroll my crafty to get my fairy, or spell proof, and if I didn't like what I got on the reroll, I'd simply reroll again....

I personally see this as an effective way to decrease sales and time in the pet pavillion. I wouldn't have to play Grub Guardian anymore, or garden....
Maybe KI could buy back all my seeds again, give me some crowns back to reroll the traits???

Hero
Sep 07, 2011
761
That would give a huge advantage to those willing to pay. Do not want.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
You know, you could easily have an effort-for-buyback form of this suggestion as well, like a Pet un-train option added to all existing pet games. Simply un-train x amount of times and your pets next talent is will be randomly re-drawn from the pool.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2012
18
lewski on Jan 13, 2015 wrote:
No. You should not be able to just buy the perfect pet.
YES. You should be able to buy the perfect pet. My failed mega trained on rank 9 mega snacks with 76 pedigree: Spellproof, Unicorn, Powerful, Relentless, Cheeky.

Hero
Sep 07, 2011
761
The Wyrm Slayer on Jan 21, 2015 wrote:
YES. You should be able to buy the perfect pet. My failed mega trained on rank 9 mega snacks with 76 pedigree: Spellproof, Unicorn, Powerful, Relentless, Cheeky.
Suggestion: when you get the first unwanted talent, stop training and rehatch. Don't train a pet like that to mega.

Hero
Sep 07, 2011
761
Lucas Rain on Jan 15, 2015 wrote:
You know, you could easily have an effort-for-buyback form of this suggestion as well, like a Pet un-train option added to all existing pet games. Simply un-train x amount of times and your pets next talent is will be randomly re-drawn from the pool.
That's the closest thing to reasonable I've seen along these lines. I am very much against a pay reset, but being able to "untrain" and lock out one unwanted talent isn't a bad idea. You'd still be doing the work of training that level - twice in fact - trading time and effort for a second chance. KI isn't missing out on snack and energy sales, but players have a way to salvage an otherwise good pet if one fail talent comes up. That's not bad. Not sure that the game mechanics would support that or the OP's idea though, since all the talents that are going to manifest are set at hatch.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
945
The Wyrm Slayer on Jan 21, 2015 wrote:
YES. You should be able to buy the perfect pet. My failed mega trained on rank 9 mega snacks with 76 pedigree: Spellproof, Unicorn, Powerful, Relentless, Cheeky.
No matter how many times you get unlucky and your pet gets a talent you didn't want, buying the perfect pet doesn't get any more acceptable. If everyone could just buy the perfect pet, everyone with some money to spare would have a 100% perfect pet for any situation for each of their six wizards, and that's just pure pay to win.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
Lucas Rain on Jan 14, 2015 wrote:
No one would lose money in sales if the right price tag is attached to the capability being discussed. Additionally, you can't logically buy back a talent if you haven't learned one, so players still have to garden, train, or play Grub Guardian. And, there's no guarantee your pet's gene pool will carry the right talents, so lots of hatching would still occur. In short, the sky is not falling.

Getting a perfect pet is a practice that already favors those who pay. If it were all about effort and only effort, there'd be no Purreau's #9. No crowns shop energy elixirs either, or crowns shop gardening seeds. But yet we have all those things and people are buying them with great frequency. The effort argument is a fiction that only ties us to the status quo, and buyback could be a proposal that turns a profit if done well.
I have loads of pets that have all 5 of my wanted talents in the pool. There would be no reason to ever hatch again if I can just buy back talents and train again. Yes I would have no further reason to play grub guardian and garden for snacks. As for Elixirs and Seeds being proof, those are available for free also. Neither changes the outcome of a pet. Buyback would never turn profit because it's a one off thing. It makes other parts of the game irrelevant completely.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
1077
seethe42 on Jan 23, 2015 wrote:
I have loads of pets that have all 5 of my wanted talents in the pool. There would be no reason to ever hatch again if I can just buy back talents and train again. Yes I would have no further reason to play grub guardian and garden for snacks. As for Elixirs and Seeds being proof, those are available for free also. Neither changes the outcome of a pet. Buyback would never turn profit because it's a one off thing. It makes other parts of the game irrelevant completely.
Be sure to remember that not everyone is like you, keeping loads of pets with all 5 of the talent slots they want. You have to think about the players it would benefit too: people who don't have all the talent slots they want, as well as people who don't have time for iterative hatching and rehatching (a huge chunk of the playership). You really can't write it off as a bad idea simply because it wouldn't benefit you, personally. Besides, KI still reserves the ability to introduce new talents (which you'd have to hatch for) as well as new pet levels (which you'd have to train for). Nothing is one-off, everything is still relevant.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
Lucas Rain on Jan 24, 2015 wrote:
Be sure to remember that not everyone is like you, keeping loads of pets with all 5 of the talent slots they want. You have to think about the players it would benefit too: people who don't have all the talent slots they want, as well as people who don't have time for iterative hatching and rehatching (a huge chunk of the playership). You really can't write it off as a bad idea simply because it wouldn't benefit you, personally. Besides, KI still reserves the ability to introduce new talents (which you'd have to hatch for) as well as new pet levels (which you'd have to train for). Nothing is one-off, everything is still relevant.
I didn't write it off as not benefitting me. Just the opposite. If you pay attention while hatching, you know what slots your pets have possible. It would benefit me, but it would hurt the game. I know what all 10 slots of my pets are because I pay attention. If I can pick them, I will have instant perfect pets and no reason to train, garden, and grub guardian. I write it off as a horrible idea for all the reasons that have been stated. It allows buying perfect pets and elliminates a large part of the sidegame and sales.

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
101
lewski on Jan 22, 2015 wrote:
No matter how many times you get unlucky and your pet gets a talent you didn't want, buying the perfect pet doesn't get any more acceptable. If everyone could just buy the perfect pet, everyone with some money to spare would have a 100% perfect pet for any situation for each of their six wizards, and that's just pure pay to win.
Its Not really "pay to win" considering the fact that it is optional and you can just do it the old fashioned way if you want to. No one said you have to buy the perfect pet. It can be earned as well.

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
101
I like how most everyone on here is against Rebuying talents just because they can't afford it and someone else can. That is honestly ridiculous, no one said you have to buy the pet. It can also be earned if you are not willing to pay. How would you feel if you spent a ton of time gardening, farming, or buying mega snack packs, and finally got your pet to epic with all the talents you wanted then suddenly when it becomes mega it learns a selfish talent. All your hardwork would have been for nothing and you would have to start all over again. All those long hours of training and getting mega snacks down the drain just to be devastated by the fact that everything you did was for absolutlely NOTHING. I am all for Rebuying talents, I think its a great idea and should be added as an optional feature in the game. Kings Isle I truly hope you at least consider adding this to the game for the sake of the players overall enjoyment of Wizard101.

Mason Greenbane Exalted
Mega pet: Sparky the rain beetle!

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
405
"most everyone on here is against Rebuying talents just because they can't afford it and someone else can"

That's a great argument against doing it right there. Players with more money shouldn't have that kind of advantage.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
945
DarkWIZard98x on Jan 28, 2015 wrote:
Its Not really "pay to win" considering the fact that it is optional and you can just do it the old fashioned way if you want to. No one said you have to buy the perfect pet. It can be earned as well.
It seems you misunderstood the concept "pay to win." It's pay to win even if it's optional. If there's a way to buy something that makes you stronger, it's pay to win, no matter how optional it is.

As for your second comment, I agree with Dakota Death. Players with more money should have as few advantages over players with less money as possible. Personally, I could afford it with ease, but will still always be against this and all similar features.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
DarkWIZard98x on Jan 28, 2015 wrote:
I like how most everyone on here is against Rebuying talents just because they can't afford it and someone else can. That is honestly ridiculous, no one said you have to buy the pet. It can also be earned if you are not willing to pay. How would you feel if you spent a ton of time gardening, farming, or buying mega snack packs, and finally got your pet to epic with all the talents you wanted then suddenly when it becomes mega it learns a selfish talent. All your hardwork would have been for nothing and you would have to start all over again. All those long hours of training and getting mega snacks down the drain just to be devastated by the fact that everything you did was for absolutlely NOTHING. I am all for Rebuying talents, I think its a great idea and should be added as an optional feature in the game. Kings Isle I truly hope you at least consider adding this to the game for the sake of the players overall enjoyment of Wizard101.

Mason Greenbane Exalted
Mega pet: Sparky the rain beetle!
No one is against it because others can afford it and we can't. You're making a leap of judgement there. It's about being fair to all players. We've all had pets fail at Mega, so what, it's part of the game. You hatch again and keep trying. You literally want to buy your way ahead. Rebuying talents will insure that you always get your perfect desired pet. I really doubt they would even consider adding it, and really hope they never do consider it.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
299
DarkWIZard98x on Jan 28, 2015 wrote:
I like how most everyone on here is against Rebuying talents just because they can't afford it and someone else can. That is honestly ridiculous, no one said you have to buy the pet. It can also be earned if you are not willing to pay. How would you feel if you spent a ton of time gardening, farming, or buying mega snack packs, and finally got your pet to epic with all the talents you wanted then suddenly when it becomes mega it learns a selfish talent. All your hardwork would have been for nothing and you would have to start all over again. All those long hours of training and getting mega snacks down the drain just to be devastated by the fact that everything you did was for absolutlely NOTHING. I am all for Rebuying talents, I think its a great idea and should be added as an optional feature in the game. Kings Isle I truly hope you at least consider adding this to the game for the sake of the players overall enjoyment of Wizard101.

Mason Greenbane Exalted
Mega pet: Sparky the rain beetle!
LMAO,
I have 54000 crowns on my account. I've likely bought the 60,000 every other month since I started here.
I still worked for my plants, gardened for me mega's, hatched, rehatched, and felt an amazing sense of accomplishment when my pet FINALLY manifested all 5 talents I wanted, after hundreds of failures at epic or mega.

It IS pay for PET when you can simply buy back that slot, and retrain. You can call it what you want, and you can justify your own needs/wants as you will. Fact is, buying back slots you don't like, IS paying for perfect...