Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

new schools of magic and wacky fizzles

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 11, 2014
I have been thinking, what if the game had a better comic relief? then I thought about a wacky type of fizzles for the spells. take the ice giant for example, when he swings his hammer to attack it could slip out of his hand and hit him in the head, or the meteor spell it could just end up being a pebble that could just bounce off the enemy. then it explodes into confetti. and so on. I think that these wacky fizzles could make the game more enjoyable because no one likes a fizzle so you could at least get a laugh out of it. also the basilisk could fall in his own hole, its funny.

I also have been thinking that balance shouldn't be the only one without a opposite. I think that since balance wizards have an unfair disadvantage against the balance bosses there should be a opposite school for it, I was thinking about a school called chaos, since chaos is opposite of balance. it would bring a prism to the balance wizards and make it a little more interesting by having another school.

I have passed the idea to a few friends in the game and they said that it was a good idea, so I think that it will benefit the game. I'm sure that more people who reads this will agree too.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
kazumaishido on Jun 25, 2015 wrote:
I have been thinking, what if the game had a better comic relief? then I thought about a wacky type of fizzles for the spells. take the ice giant for example, when he swings his hammer to attack it could slip out of his hand and hit him in the head, or the meteor spell it could just end up being a pebble that could just bounce off the enemy. then it explodes into confetti. and so on. I think that these wacky fizzles could make the game more enjoyable because no one likes a fizzle so you could at least get a laugh out of it. also the basilisk could fall in his own hole, its funny.

I also have been thinking that balance shouldn't be the only one without a opposite. I think that since balance wizards have an unfair disadvantage against the balance bosses there should be a opposite school for it, I was thinking about a school called chaos, since chaos is opposite of balance. it would bring a prism to the balance wizards and make it a little more interesting by having another school.

I have passed the idea to a few friends in the game and they said that it was a good idea, so I think that it will benefit the game. I'm sure that more people who reads this will agree too.
i love the fizzle idea~ what a great way to add fun to an otherwise-un-fun aspect of the game (next up: maybe turn darkmoor into a bouncy castle, so we can have fun while being totally miserable).

2) balance doesn't need an opposite~ that's why it's called balance, because it's... uh, balanced.

-von "is funny, sometimes, maybe" shadowsong
making people miserable for fun and profit since 2011

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013

The downside to the fizzle idea - you get even farther into the casting animation before you realize that you've FAILED! Seriously, it's bad enough to get the fizzle right out of the gate. But to actually have the animation begin... and you're thinking to yourself - "I am going to own this guy!" - and then FIZZZZ! That's just cruel. (in a funny sort of way)

Survivor
May 20, 2015
I honestly agree with Dr. Von, I realize that balance has its weakness with its own school, but its at its own strength with everyone else (exception of tower shields) lots of people have wanted an opposite for balance, but balance has an advantage. With good stats, a balance will have little trouble with its own kind.

Rowan T.
Elizabeth J.
Brittany S.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Dr Von on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
i love the fizzle idea~ what a great way to add fun to an otherwise-un-fun aspect of the game (next up: maybe turn darkmoor into a bouncy castle, so we can have fun while being totally miserable).

2) balance doesn't need an opposite~ that's why it's called balance, because it's... uh, balanced.

I love the fizzle idea and second the bouncy castle idea! Maybe we can "accidentally " bounce Shane out of the way to get past him?

Exalted

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Leviathan 90 on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
I love the fizzle idea and second the bouncy castle idea! Maybe we can "accidentally " bounce Shane out of the way to get past him?

Exalted
you... i like you. we can be friends!
(all in favour of the bouncy castle, say aye!)

-von "aye" shadowsong

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I like the idea of whimsical fizzes, but I'd rather not have anything as complex and time consuming as spell animations. I think more like you wind up to cast and something else happens. Like maybe it sparks fly shocking the caster, leaving them dizzy eyed and swaying. Or a your wand shoots out a BANG! flag and you get covered in a poof of soot & smoke. Or a little rain cloud appears above your head dowsing you in water and lightning bolts your pet making him jump. Or an ACME Anvil appears in the air and drops on your foot. Or a stream of flowers & butterflies shoot out of the wand. Just short little individual animations.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008

I think its funny, don't get me wrong, but it'll definitely kill a moment in certain battles. I think its a bad idea, not because I hate funny things. I love funny things. But....this seems like it'd be a big troll.

Picture this...your spell activates, and it looks like it will work, and then he accidentally throws his hammer away. And maybe some super hardcore players are there..and they make fun of you, and make you feel bad. Good idea at heart, but, it wouldn't work to well with other people. Plus, I know I'd laugh the first few times, but, after a while I'd get more annoyed, it'd make battles even LONGER then they need to be.

As for Balances counter, try Alchemy, we can't have CHAOS, since thats MYTH in WYSTERIA. Alchemy, could be a magic where you break rules, and shift field spells elements, or combine a bunch of blades and make it a minion, reverse spells, and effect the environment around you using chemical composition, breaking the rules that Balace has set up.

Like this, A elemental trap is cast on you, and your Alchemy, you can turn it into a elemental shield instead. They send out a Storm minion to kill your Myth Minion, and you can reverse the minions magic base, so yours is storm and his is myth. instead.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008

Balance needs on opposite.

Just because there is light doesn't mean darkness isn't there, and just because there is order, doesn't mean there is no corruption.

Alchemy, (as mentioned on another users post) would be a perfect opposite since Alchemy is about breaking the rules that the Balance has set up, where balance uses the elements in harmony, Alchemy shifts those elements and creates new things by disrupting the balance.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
you... i like you. we can be friends!
(all in favour of the bouncy castle, say aye!)

-von "aye" shadowsong

Friend request accepted. ;D

Aye!

Survivor
Jul 20, 2014
I think it's funny enough when you go for the attack spell, you are prepared for the victorious sound of you enemies
being defeated ... When suddenly your spell dissolves in front on you eyes! XD

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
Hahah! I love the idea of the fizzles. Just thinking of the Basilisk falling into the hole made me laugh a little . As for your second idea, I do agree balance has it unfair and highly difficult against balance bosses, but I don't think there is a need for a new school. Just imagine- people with 6 wizards like me are torn if they should delete a cherished character or buy another subscription for a separate account because the new school got them excited and curious. But I still think KingsIsle should possibly add something for balance to use... Or better yet, a stronger blade!!!!

Explorer
Apr 04, 2009
death is balances opposite, my balance wizard has death as a second class and every time i use death on balance enemy's they always get a boost in damage they receive from it though it would be nice if they could change t that to a school all about chaos and then they could add a new professor and and base class, there is way to many high level additions and not once have we gotten a new base class

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
KieranMoonFlame on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
Balance needs on opposite.

Just because there is light doesn't mean darkness isn't there, and just because there is order, doesn't mean there is no corruption.

Alchemy, (as mentioned on another users post) would be a perfect opposite since Alchemy is about breaking the rules that the Balance has set up, where balance uses the elements in harmony, Alchemy shifts those elements and creates new things by disrupting the balance.
if this becomes reality, then balance also needs blades and traps that benefit it exclusively and can't be used by anyone else (which every other school has, and has had, from the very beginning).

albeit not as grandiose or epically-bad as the op, seethe42's idea is still a good one. anything to soften the blow of fizzling 8 times in a row (which most newbie storm wizards do) would make the un-fun... well, fun.

-von "darkness is but the absence of light" shadowsong
(still waiting on my bouncy castle)

exalted

Survivor
May 22, 2014
Andrew dreamhunter-I think the school of alchemy is a great idea.please look in to this kingsisle.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2012
Yeah I love the idea of a school of Alchemy being the opposite of balance. Also love the funny fizzle idea! It's hilarious, it would make everyone, regarding on which team your on, laugh XD. Haha here are a list of random Rank 1 spells and the animation they would have if it fizzled :D

Scarab: Instead of charging at the opponent, it begins to charge and gets trapped in quicksand and sinks into the ground xD

Thunder Snake: Instead of whipping the opponent and electrocuting it, it stead short circuits and the electricity goes away lol

Imp: He plays his guitar really flat gets mad and throws it on the ground lol XD

Vampire Bat: Instead of throwing up on the enemy, it coughs and falls to the ground.

Death Sprite: Gets scared after see its opponent and flies away.

Firecat: Coughs out smoke

Ice Beetle: Breaks into shards

Hope you guys like the ideas XD

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Balance does not need opposite.
It can use each and every other school attack.
Chimera is good example with correct set up you can kill the boss the same way you would kill it with prism.
I don't see a point in the new school.
You also have Spectral Blast and Hydra for lower levels.
Balance in PvE never been so offensive to begin with.
Mostly Support school.
It is fine as it is. Just have to think a little and do a good set up.
Anyone about the animation (fizzles that is)
Totally for it!
Great Idea I mean you can get allot of laugh.
Some people say that it would get annoying and get your hopes up.
Come on guys that makes no since. You also get your hopes up when you are casting the spell and then boom all you see is some kind of ash from the cast. I mean at least you can have a little laugh.

Nicholas Star

Defender
Feb 26, 2012

I could definitely see something like this happening during April Fools. It would certainly be preferred that over a joke pet with the one good talent. But rather than a full blown animation, I think the fizzles themselves would be give a more humorous characterization.

Like the wizard sneezing and then you get the traditional fizzle. Or maybe he or she would actually slip while casting the spell then they would fizzle. I think human error would be a simpler but still funny fizzle. Just imagine casting a spell and then you get a close-up of your wizard sneezing comically into a wizard

If you think about it, when you throw a dart, you don't miss because the dart suddenly explodes after being struck by lighting, you miss because you ate that room temperature sushi and it gave you a stomach ache.

Balance school on the other hand, has one key aspect that makes an opposite school rather counterintuitive.
Balance, in essence, is the collective power of the many different aspects of the other schools of magic. It would not make sense that it would be weak against something that it draws strength from. Which is basically everything.

"Everything" doesn't really have an opposite.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
rusher2828 on Jul 7, 2015 wrote:
I could definitely see something like this happening during April Fools. It would certainly be preferred that over a joke pet with the one good talent. But rather than a full blown animation, I think the fizzles themselves would be give a more humorous characterization.

Like the wizard sneezing and then you get the traditional fizzle. Or maybe he or she would actually slip while casting the spell then they would fizzle. I think human error would be a simpler but still funny fizzle. Just imagine casting a spell and then you get a close-up of your wizard sneezing comically into a wizard

If you think about it, when you throw a dart, you don't miss because the dart suddenly explodes after being struck by lighting, you miss because you ate that room temperature sushi and it gave you a stomach ache.

Balance school on the other hand, has one key aspect that makes an opposite school rather counterintuitive.
Balance, in essence, is the collective power of the many different aspects of the other schools of magic. It would not make sense that it would be weak against something that it draws strength from. Which is basically everything.

"Everything" doesn't really have an opposite.
The Opposite of Everything is Nothing (Nothingness)

Nicholas Star

Defender
Sep 18, 2010
I absolutely adore the Wacky Fizzle ideas. I'd love to see them implemented into the game, even if it did take KingsIsle sometime to do.

I'm thinking each animation would be about 30 (or less) seconds long; I don't want to wait to watch my spell fizzle. And to identify that we fizzled, I think they should keep the fizzle animation for the spell cast. This way people don't get excited thinking that their Spell worked. Lastly, I think each individual player should have the option to turn on and off the Wacky Fizzles for their spells.

As for Balance, they already have an opposite. They're opposite are the six other Schools. I don't think it's necessary to create another school and go through all the trouble of reworking two arcs just so Balance has a way to by pass Balance Bosses. They have spells such as Hydra, Chimera, and Gaze of Fate. As well, Wizard101 was meant to be cooperative. So if you see a Balance boss call on some friends to help or use Team Up. There's also Mercenaries101, whom are always willing to help.

Back to the Wacky Fizzles idea, I have some ideas for the level 58 spells (plus Scarab)...

Forest Lord: It summons up one of the trees and as it's about to summon the second tree the first tree falls down knocking him over.

Leviathan: When the Leviathan fully rises out of the water I'm thinking he gets hit with a lightning bolt knocking him down.

Efreet: The Efreet is about to come out of the lamp but he finds himself trapped and he knocks on the lamp.

Snow Angel: The Snow Angel comes down at a fast pace and the horse crashes into the snow knocking his lamp-thing away.

Ra: Ra appears after slamming down his staff he raises his Ankh to the sun but discovers that the sun is setting.

Skeletal Dragon: The Dragon forms and flies up only to come crashing down and breaking apart.

Medusa: Is coming out of the ground but soon finds her lower half (tail) stuck.

Scarab: Rises out of the sand and runs towards its target only to miss it.

Explorer
Sep 26, 2013
I love the ideas. At first I thought a long fizzle animation for both wizards and enemies would be fun but they would just add to the length of the battle. I have a gripe against the rock throwing trees so I just wanted them, one time, to try to pick up the rock and discover it's too heavy, then fall flat on their face. However, I am agreeing with other fizzle animations that aren't so long. I love the thought of the BANG flag coming from the wand among other suggestions here. Maybe a simple wilt or melt of the wand with a lowering slide whistle sound (or something) would suffice.