Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Menu Chat only for Free to Play

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 31, 2011
99
I know when we were free to play and when we are in the wizard city streets area as new wizards, we have little use for chat as far as open.

I feel to have open chat is a high privilege not a right.

Those who are free players (not crown purchased area players, they have paid) and those who are in the three streets and wizard city and have not opened at least Krokatopia should NOT have open chat or text chat until they get into that world tree.

What a great thing to work towards! It is a privilege to work towards and earn for reaching a goal in your studies at Wizard101 school of magical arts. If you prove yourself dedicated in your studies you can then earn either text chat or open chat depending on your age.

I love this idea! Always have.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
vollans wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
I would like to see KI remove the options of open and filtered chat from all Free to Play accounts including those that are already in place in the game.


There was a non-graphical game I used to play a few years ago. You could read what was being posted, but you could not post yourself until you reached level one hundred. With that in mind, I propose a level restriction on text and open chat for F2P accounts.

You should have to reach level fifteen before the text chat is available, and level thirty for open chat. By this time the player should know right from wrong.

And if they do violate the Terms of Use, they should be down graded for five levels (open to text, text to menu).

If KI needs someone to program this, I would do it for "peanuts"!


The only way to reach level 15 in this game is to contantly battle street mobs in the F2P areas which give extremely little XP. Yes there are some that would beat the boredom this becomes just to have open or text in order to go right back to using the same bad behavior in the game.

I do realize this will be an inconvenience to some players and I am sorry for that, but the goal is to bring this game back into prospective of the current rating of E10+. If this game progresses to the point that it will have to be upgraded in rating to "M" there will be MANY MANY more players that pay to play leaving the game.

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
182
I agree all of the above except one thing. Instead of buying crowns or sub just buy the sub imo.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
116
What's wrong with having to pay to get open chat? I was a FTP player for months (I see I joined a year ago next week and I couldn't afford a membership 'til the end of January) and I would have had absolutely no quibble with only having menu chat while I was playing a game I wasn't paying for. I would have shrugged it off as one of those perks you needed to pay to get and still enjoyed the game immensely as I did for close to half a year.

It's a legitimate concern for what if my sub ran out and I have to go through that with every new wiz I create? But that's easily solvable. Once your first wiz reaches the level and you've paid either by sub or crowns, you've got the free chat even if sub runs out for all wizards on that account much like buying an area with crowns unlocks it for all six wizards not just the one you were on when you paid for the area. Once you've earned it, you don't lose it unless you violate the terms of use you agreed to when you downloaded the game and it will still be only wizards that have played to the proper level and paid for the game that would have it and not those who create accounts just to get away with ruining the spiral for others. That solves that objection.

As for saying players would leave the game, I think that really doesn't matter as it it would only be F2P players with the entitled attitude who act badly. Someone without a sense of entitlement are grateful to play for free with no time limit in a very generous area. If that had happened (and I didn't bother to get open chat btw until I went to pay for it simply because I didn't realize I could), I would have said man, that stinks but shrugged and said heck they're still letting me play for free, I'm not complaining.

Since this would effect free players already playing, KI could do something like give a month's warning or whatever length of time they deemed necessary and e-mail a form letter of the impending change and why it was necessary to the e-mail used to open the account. If they used a fake e-mail and don't receive it or don't have theirs up-to-date, that's their fault and not KI's but they could also announce it on FB, etc. and word would very quickly get around.

It is an excellent idea and very doable.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
Ehhh.. Sorry but I am against this idea kind of :/
I am one of those people that like to talk, and when I lose my membership, I still like to talk. So that would mean I would have to give them private information so I can still contact them without paying a fee? You might as well promote an online dating site. And aren't you only allowed to get filtered chat at max as a F2P player? If you payed a subscription, paying just to talk is obscene. Thats an even bigger way to loser players than making amber required for all crafting quests. I do not want to give away my facebook just because my parents do not want to pay anymore.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
Ronster55 wrote:
Ehhh.. Sorry but I am against this idea kind of :/
I am one of those people that like to talk, and when I lose my membership, I still like to talk. So that would mean I would have to give them private information so I can still contact them without paying a fee? You might as well promote an online dating site. And aren't you only allowed to get filtered chat at max as a F2P player? If you payed a subscription, paying just to talk is obscene. Thats an even bigger way to loser players than making amber required for all crafting quests. I do not want to give away my facebook just because my parents do not want to pay anymore.


Ronster, actually this is not a good reason for allowing chat to remain in effect if a sub has run out and has not been reactivated. The simple reason being, that if your wizards have all leveled high enough that would surpass the suggested requirement to be able to access open or filtered chat, then technically, there is really no reason to be standing around in the public areas chatting.

This is why in the suggestions there is one stating that if subs are cancelled or expired for whatever reason, the account would AUTOMATICALLY revert to menu chat. This prevents any other would be offenders from coming into the free areas and doing just exactly what we are trying to get cleaned up. Many of those that are currently abusing the system are those that have had 1 or more accounts muted and create more F2P just to continue this behavior. Those IP address either need to be blocked, or the ability to have open or filtered chat needs to be removed from ALL F2P until the game requirements are met.

Also, since you mention promoting online dating, I would not do that on any site for any reason. By placing these suggestions on the F2P, it would also reduce the "I need a girl/boy" comments we have been seeing as well. Those players and beggars (which would also be reduced) I do put on ignore after I have seen them constanly repeating it. Wizard101 IS NOT a dating site.

In case you have not noticed, there are a lot of parents that played with their kids that have already DISABLED those accounts. THAT MEANS THAT KI IS LOSING REVENUE NOW. KI can not collect on disabled accounts.

It is UNFAIR to those of us that have purchased the game with crowns or a sub to be told to shut down our chat and chat bubbles just to accommodate those that don't pay to play and abuse the system. I for one WILL NOT shut down what I have every right to use under the rules of this game.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
116
Ronster55 wrote:
Ehhh.. Sorry but I am against this idea kind of :/
I am one of those people that like to talk, and when I lose my membership, I still like to talk. So that would mean I would have to give them private information so I can still contact them without paying a fee? You might as well promote an online dating site. And aren't you only allowed to get filtered chat at max as a F2P player? If you payed a subscription, paying just to talk is obscene. Thats an even bigger way to loser players than making amber required for all crafting quests. I do not want to give away my facebook just because my parents do not want to pay anymore.


Firstly, it's not your FB. You want to talk for free, go to FB. But I addressed the problem of already having a membership and losing it in the post right above you. Thank you for reading it before ranting. That's easily fixable. If you've already paid for a membership, that's considered having paid just as opening an area with crowns would be. Since you've already paid, you wouldn't lose your open chat unless you violated the terms and were muted for it.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2010
23
before you read this you should know that i have more than one account.

My first account, the one i'm posting from is a mute(the good kind, not the kind that has been reported) and i half wish that I had never created Iridian's account. Today, I was on Iridian 's account, and was in the Dye Shop. In realm Wu. There was a person standing in the middle of the shop, saying something so revolting that I will not repete it here. I will say, however, that it was innaproprate, racist, and offinding. This sersoly has to STOP people! Goldendragon's idea might just work, so i'm siding with her on this matter.

___________________________________________________
Ali Skyblossem
Iridian Drake
A Wizard City Protecter

Survivor
Jan 10, 2012
6
I kind of like the idea of having to be a certian level better. Say they had it set as you have to be level 17 (just as an example) in order to use open chat. It takes a lot of dedication to get to level 17 or higher non-subcribed. I kind think it is a tiny bit unfair for it to be limited to paid players because what if someone doesn't have the money?

Note, I am a member and have been for many years :)

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
vikktoriagee wrote:
I kind of like the idea of having to be a certian level better. Say they had it set as you have to be level 17 (just as an example) in order to use open chat. It takes a lot of dedication to get to level 17 or higher non-subcribed. I kind think it is a tiny bit unfair for it to be limited to paid players because what if someone doesn't have the money?

Note, I am a member and have been for many years :)


First off, this does not reduce or stop what we are seeing in the game now.
Second, without constantly battling street mobs and bosses, it is extremely difficult to reach level 17 and by that time the player would rather quit than purchase crowns for areas or a sub. LOSS of Revenue for KI.

I'm sorry you feel it is unfair for F2P players to be limited to menu chat. But if they can't afford the crowns to purchase the next area of play or even a monthly sub, they really have no business standing around in the F2P areas and possibly abusing the system. Open and Filtered chat are restricted in other online games as well requiring the player to reach certain llevels and some even a sub as well in order to use them..... In reality this is not as strict as some and would go along way in reducing the problems we now have. You can only go so far in this game without purchasing the next area or subbing anyway. Once the prospective player does make the purchase, they can quickly level up and surpass the requirement for open and filtered Chat. They will advance faster in this manner. Once they have made the purchase and completed the required quests, they will have hopefully, read and understood the ToU/Chat rules and appreciate the fact that these options are a priviledge and NOT A RIGHT.

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
116
vikktoriagee wrote:
I kind of like the idea of having to be a certian level better. Say they had it set as you have to be level 17 (just as an example) in order to use open chat. It takes a lot of dedication to get to level 17 or higher non-subcribed. I kind think it is a tiny bit unfair for it to be limited to paid players because what if someone doesn't have the money?

Note, I am a member and have been for many years :)


Then just like they don't get to fly first class, choose a five star restaurant over McDonald's or get past the lobby of the theater without buying a ticket, they don't get to chat. When did we get to a place where you get what you want whether you have the money or not and without working for it? I've been poor most of my life and couldn't afford a membership for my first six months of play and I think it would be totally fair to have to pay to get menu chat. What is with this sense of entitlement to everything everybody else has that you don't these days? Some people are luckier than you. Deal with reality. We can't all live in the White House or Buckingham Palace.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
goldendragon18 wrote:

Ronster, actually this is not a good reason for allowing chat to remain in effect if a sub has run out and has not been reactivated. The simple reason being, that if your wizards have all leveled high enough that would surpass the suggested requirement to be able to access open or filtered chat, then technically, there is really no reason to be standing around in the public areas chatting.

I am assuming this that the level requirement isnt allowed yet

This is why in the suggestions there is one stating that if subs are cancelled or expired for whatever reason, the account would AUTOMATICALLY revert to menu chat. This prevents any other would be offenders from coming into the free areas and doing just exactly what we are trying to get cleaned up. Many of those that are currently abusing the system are those that have had 1 or more accounts muted and create more F2P just to continue this behavior. Those IP address either need to be blocked, or the ability to have open or filtered chat needs to be removed from ALL F2P until the game requirements are met. I prefer the IP banned/blocked instead of F2P losing their ability to simply TALK.

Also, since you mention promoting online dating, I would not do that on any site for any reason. By placing these suggestions on the F2P, it would also reduce the "I need a girl/boy" comments we have been seeing as well. Those players and beggars (which would also be reduced) I do put on ignore after I have seen them constanly repeating it. Wizard101 IS NOT a dating site. I was just using it as an example... How about just making that a reportable offense? ;)

In case you have not noticed, there are a lot of parents that played with their kids that have already DISABLED those accounts. THAT MEANS THAT KI IS LOSING REVENUE NOW. KI can not collect on disabled accounts. I haven't seen much of that just because of profanity. They usually just limit them to text or menu chat from what I have seen.

It is UNFAIR to those of us that have purchased the game with crowns or a sub to be told to shut down our chat and chat bubbles just to accommodate those that don't pay to play and abuse the system. I for one WILL NOT shut down what I have every right to use under the rules of this game. Just curious, can you explain what that means? I don't think i understand particularly.

I still do not like this idea... :/ Sorry

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
514
In a couple years, the game will be so restricted it will be hard to talk. :?

But I do agree with this, you have my vote.

Defender
Jan 08, 2010
104
I completely agree with you, BUT there's a down fall. Some (most cough cough) will just have their parents put their credit card numbers on there, make a parental pass to prevent their parents from changing anything, and just continually swear with open chat even though they are not of age! I have run into this time and again and it agrivates me to extremes. I fully agree with you and it would at least end 70%+ of the swearing.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
hunteray09 wrote:
In a couple years, the game will be so restricted it will be hard to talk. :?

But I do agree with this, you have my vote.


@hunteray09,

What needs to be said that cannot be said within the rules of the game and the limitations of the chat filters? How can eliminating potty mouth syndrome restrict the game so much that "it will be hard to talk"?

I strongly agree that F2P players should be limited to menu chat and that the requirements for open chat should be made more rigorous. Heck, even Club Penguin requires a paid and up-to-date membership to access chat; that game even reserves the ability to use item for those players who are willing to pay to play.

The pleasures of the real world are not free, nor are those in cyberspace. This is the way of our monetized civililization.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb
Iridian Shadowweaver, Archmage Theurgist, WC Protector, Parental Unit

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
Ronster55 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

Ronster, actually this is not a good reason for allowing chat to remain in effect if a sub has run out and has not been reactivated. The simple reason being, that if your wizards have all leveled high enough that would surpass the suggested requirement to be able to access open or filtered chat, then technically, there is really no reason to be standing around in the public areas chatting.

I am assuming this that the level requirement isnt allowed yet

This is why in the suggestions there is one stating that if subs are cancelled or expired for whatever reason, the account would AUTOMATICALLY revert to menu chat. This prevents any other would be offenders from coming into the free areas and doing just exactly what we are trying to get cleaned up. Many of those that are currently abusing the system are those that have had 1 or more accounts muted and create more F2P just to continue this behavior. Those IP address either need to be blocked, or the ability to have open or filtered chat needs to be removed from ALL F2P until the game requirements are met. I prefer the IP banned/blocked instead of F2P losing their ability to simply TALK.

Also, since you mention promoting online dating, I would not do that on any site for any reason. By placing these suggestions on the F2P, it would also reduce the "I need a girl/boy" comments we have been seeing as well. Those players and beggars (which would also be reduced) I do put on ignore after I have seen them constanly repeating it. Wizard101 IS NOT a dating site. I was just using it as an example... How about just making that a reportable offense? ;)

In case you have not noticed, there are a lot of parents that played with their kids that have already DISABLED those accounts. THAT MEANS THAT KI IS LOSING REVENUE NOW. KI can not collect on disabled accounts. I haven't seen much of that just because of profanity. They usually just limit them to text or menu chat from what I have seen.

It is UNFAIR to those of us that have purchased the game with crowns or a sub to be told to shut down our chat and chat bubbles just to accommodate those that don't pay to play and abuse the system. I for one WILL NOT shut down what I have every right to use under the rules of this game. Just curious, can you explain what that means? I don't think i understand particularly.

I still do not like this idea... :/ Sorry


Ronster, to put this plain and simple, if you let your sub expire that means you can only access the F2P areas only. In this case the suggestion is that once are not able to move past that area, then you also lose open and filtered chat. There is absolutely NO REASON for you to be loitering around in the Commons or the shops on an expired sub regarless of wizard level. I would be one of the first to accept this sanction if I could not keep my subs. Without my subs, I have NO REASON to even be in the game.

Dating in game a reportable offense? really? It is annoying to see but I am not wasting time reporting something like this.

Maybe you need to open your eyes a little and look around. I know for a fact parents are diabling child accounts for the simple reason, some of them are friends of mine. Other parents are HOVERING over their child like bodyguards. Where is the fun?

As for your comment to my last paragraph. Sorry, I am not going to repeat what I have already plainly stated.

@Ambrose122 The hope is that KI will look at the full extent of the suggestions made. If they do and chose to use the idea as it has been suggested, Having a card on file, or using a debit, or gift card will no longer be a viable way to have access to open or filter chat. The players would have to complete certain requirements in the game and have access to Krokotiopia actually before being able to have anything above Menu chat.

Yes, it would most definitely reduce what we are seeing now.

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
275
That really isn't fair. Punishing all free to play players because some can't behave. What happened to ignoring and reporting? This game will become restricted that soon enough we won't be able to say "high." -.- I actually play a lot even when my sub runs out. Many others do too, this isn't fair treatment at all. I never used CC because I can't so I work hard to get my money and buy pre paid cards. Does that mean I don't deserve the to chat with friends, because my parents aren't willing to pay money for an online game? I've seen a lot and I mean a lot of high leveled wizards that are unsubscribed and are around all day long chatting. If Ki takes that away the game W101 will end, because it'll lose so many players. You so called "Wizard City Protectors" are doing more harm than good to the majority. If it benefits you and your family, it's fine. I rather have it be you can have text chat until you reach Krokotopia.

Aaron Drakewalker Archmage Pyromancer

Delver
Nov 22, 2008
270
Orbit100 wrote:
Honestly I think no because KI will probably lose a ton of players for this so i honestly think it won't happen


If we lose players that play to misbehave then so be it! If they font obey the rules they font get to talk, if they use foul language I will report them and listen to see if they use more. I will start this asap and this should start becoming known that foul language is against the ToU and ToS. If it were up to me, when someone got a report for bad language they would be taken off line and to the ToS and ToU pages. That would be the way of knowing from a glance that they were using foul language as well as having this idea used, so that parents that watch their kids play every so often or look at what the kid is doing can know what is going on. I think this would help everyone in the long run. This would teach kids not to use foul language, and help them know when they have done something wrong. Plain and all out simple.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
flarzedrago9 wrote:
That really isn't fair. Punishing all free to play players because some can't behave. What happened to ignoring and reporting? This game will become restricted that soon enough we won't be able to say "high." -.- I actually play a lot even when my sub runs out. Many others do too, this isn't fair treatment at all. I never used CC because I can't so I work hard to get my money and buy pre paid cards. Does that mean I don't deserve the to chat with friends, because my parents aren't willing to pay money for an online game? I've seen a lot and I mean a lot of high leveled wizards that are unsubscribed and are around all day long chatting. If Ki takes that away the game W101 will end, because it'll lose so many players. You so called "Wizard City Protectors" are doing more harm than good to the majority. If it benefits you and your family, it's fine. I rather have it be you can have text chat until you reach Krokotopia.

Aaron Drakewalker Archmage Pyromancer


Aaron, Many of us started playing this game using menu chat only. We did not put CC on file just to be able to access open or filtered chat. Why? Because unless we decided to actually sub or purchase the game with crowns there was no need. Myself and many of my friends played this way for a few months and did not have a problem with it.

A lot of the foul language problems are being enhanced by to many with expired subs or F2P players congregating in public areas and cursing up a storm. Sadly, most do not care about the ToU/Chat rules and not all of them are kids.

Restricting the chat options is being used in other games as well and those players have to earn that priviledge. So by doing so here and putting requirements on the players will ensure they are playing and not loitering in public areas. Expired subs means those players are restricted to the F2P areas and therefore either need to reactivate their subs in order to have the priviledges that Open and filtered chat really are. If these are earned, it is less likely to be abused. The younger kids that are using the bad language are doing so by what they see others doing in the game. I don't think it is a good example to be setting.

Your assumption that the game is end is false if these changes are made. In reality, there will be many parents reactivating their child/rens accounts and many others that have already cancelled subs for the same reason would return.

What is not fair is the fact that those that do follow the rules are being told to go back to Menu chat so we can't see what is being said in the game. We pay for the priviledge to play and have open or filtered chat. We are not going to just shut that down because of those that choose to not follow the rules. We will continue to report and make suggestions to KI that we think will help restore the game to what it was a couple of years ago. We would like to let our young family members return to the game and be able to have fun again.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Delver
Jul 09, 2009
275
goldendragon18 wrote:

Aaron, Many of us started playing this game using menu chat only. We did not put CC on file just to be able to access open or filtered chat. Why? Because unless we decided to actually sub or purchase the game with crowns there was no need. Myself and many of my friends played this way for a few months and did not have a problem with it.

A lot of the foul language problems are being enhanced by to many with expired subs or F2P players congregating in public areas and cursing up a storm. Sadly, most do not care about the ToU/Chat rules and not all of them are kids.

Restricting the chat options is being used in other games as well and those players have to earn that priviledge. So by doing so here and putting requirements on the players will ensure they are playing and not loitering in public areas. Expired subs means those players are restricted to the F2P areas and therefore either need to reactivate their subs in order to have the priviledges that Open and filtered chat really are. If these are earned, it is less likely to be abused. The younger kids that are using the bad language are doing so by what they see others doing in the game. I don't think it is a good example to be setting.

Your assumption that the game is end is false if these changes are made. In reality, there will be many parents reactivating their child/rens accounts and many others that have already cancelled subs for the same reason would return.

What is not fair is the fact that those that do follow the rules are being told to go back to Menu chat so we can't see what is being said in the game. We pay for the priviledge to play and have open or filtered chat. We are not going to just shut that down because of those that choose to not follow the rules. We will continue to report and make suggestions to KI that we think will help restore the game to what it was a couple of years ago. We would like to let our young family members return to the game and be able to have fun again.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"


Again, why not just have us get to Krok before getting text chat? MC for only F2P may allow your kids to play again, but at the expense of people who can't afford to renew their subs right away after it ends. It isn't fair to all the loyal players of Wizard101. A lot of F2P archmages do Practice PvP, but won't be able to think of strategies for it because they chat. That's an example. It takes away the fun of the game. How many of those parents only unsubbed because of chat issues. I doubt its a lot. Most of them unsubbed because money issues. Just simply report and ignore or switch realms to avoid these problems. Children have mostly likely already heard these words before, that doesn't mean they will start using it. What proof do you have that says most F2P are causes the all trouble? P2P use foul language all the time. I see it all the time. I report and switch realms. In a dungeon I ignore them and report. You are saying that when you weren't paying you had no problem at all with menu chat, but since you are paying now having menu chat is an outlandish option to avoid foul language. You guys are forgetting that either you have to take off the bubble wrap or someone else will. They won't just pop it, they'll pull it all off too. (I know terrible example)

Aaron Drakewalker Archmage Pyromancer

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
flarzedrago9 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:

Aaron, Many of us started playing this game using menu chat only. We did not put CC on file just to be able to access open or filtered chat. Why? Because unless we decided to actually sub or purchase the game with crowns there was no need. Myself and many of my friends played this way for a few months and did not have a problem with it.

A lot of the foul language problems are being enhanced by to many with expired subs or F2P players congregating in public areas and cursing up a storm. Sadly, most do not care about the ToU/Chat rules and not all of them are kids.

Restricting the chat options is being used in other games as well and those players have to earn that priviledge. So by doing so here and putting requirements on the players will ensure they are playing and not loitering in public areas. Expired subs means those players are restricted to the F2P areas and therefore either need to reactivate their subs in order to have the priviledges that Open and filtered chat really are. If these are earned, it is less likely to be abused. The younger kids that are using the bad language are doing so by what they see others doing in the game. I don't think it is a good example to be setting.

Your assumption that the game is end is false if these changes are made. In reality, there will be many parents reactivating their child/rens accounts and many others that have already cancelled subs for the same reason would return.

What is not fair is the fact that those that do follow the rules are being told to go back to Menu chat so we can't see what is being said in the game. We pay for the priviledge to play and have open or filtered chat. We are not going to just shut that down because of those that choose to not follow the rules. We will continue to report and make suggestions to KI that we think will help restore the game to what it was a couple of years ago. We would like to let our young family members return to the game and be able to have fun again.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"


Again, why not just have us get to Krok before getting text chat? MC for only F2P may allow your kids to play again, but at the expense of people who can't afford to renew their subs right away after it ends. It isn't fair to all the loyal players of Wizard101. A lot of F2P archmages do Practice PvP, but won't be able to think of strategies for it because they chat. That's an example. It takes away the fun of the game. How many of those parents only unsubbed because of chat issues. I doubt its a lot. Most of them unsubbed because money issues. Just simply report and ignore or switch realms to avoid these problems. Children have mostly likely already heard these words before, that doesn't mean they will start using it. What proof do you have that says most F2P are causes the all trouble? P2P use foul language all the time. I see it all the time. I report and switch realms. In a dungeon I ignore them and report. You are saying that when you weren't paying you had no problem at all with menu chat, but since you are paying now having menu chat is an outlandish option to avoid foul language. You guys are forgetting that either you have to take off the bubble wrap or someone else will. They won't just pop it, they'll pull it all off too. (I know terrible example)

Aaron Drakewalker Archmage Pyromancer


One more time Aaron, If their subs have expired or been cancelled, they can not go beyond the FREE 2 PLAY areas anyway. Once this happens, then the open and filtered chat should also revert to MENU chat. We are not saying it is ALL F2P that use foul language but under the current system, all they have to have is a CC on file to have open or filtered chat. We have seen many that have had their subbs perma-muted or perma-banned that have created numerous F2P with a CC on file just to SOCIALIZE in the F2P areas. These same players even tell others how to do this if they don't know. There is absolutely NO REASON for these players to use this game as an ADULT CHAT ROOM.

By putting the suggestions in place, it will ensure that if a new player really wants to play the game, they will complete the requirements that have been mentioned and either purchase the game with crowns or a sub. I would be one of the first to accept this kind of change if I could not keep my subs (2). At this point the only thing I would be able to do is create new wizards on the existing accounts and take them as far as I could until I was able to reactivate my subs. After that, if I can't afford to reactivate, then I really have no reason to be in the game now do I? I certainly do come here to chat and socialize at anytime and not for hours on end cursing.

As for the PvP arena, if those players are that determined then they will find a way to keep their subs. PvP is not the majority of the game and what good is practice if you can't do ranked? And the PvP arena has been just as infected with the bad language and behavior as the rest of the game.

Players need to learn there are things you can not do in the game and expect to continue without sanctions. So it is time for all to earn the priviledges for open and filtered chat.

And by the way, the suggestions that have been made do require a player to complete all quests and side quests except Night Side, Golem Tower and the History books. This would also mean that Colossus Blvd would have to be completed as well. Completing all of this would be the only way to advance to Krok. You would still have to sub or purchase the areas with crowns as they are now. We are not asking KI to extend the F2P area nor do we intend to. No CC on file, no gift card or debit card would be accepted as any proof until all is completed.

This has all been explained too many times now and is not that hard to understand.

Fallon WinterLeaf a "Wizard City Protector"

Survivor
Feb 23, 2012
13
problems can be solved without doing damage to those not intending to break the rules by using a strict 1 strike, your out system. And as to a level limit, no, a lvl limit for chatting would spark more trouble than this, causing a larger problem, as chatting is already annoying. And as to problems with families seeing swearing, not possible, unless its just an over protective parent with an 18 year old, its not possible to see an actual swear. Of course, the words used to create a swear, as replacement for saying the blocked word, is almost just as bad.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
AceFirestorm101 wrote:
problems can be solved without doing damage to those not intending to break the rules by using a strict 1 strike, your out system. And as to a level limit, no, a lvl limit for chatting would spark more trouble than this, causing a larger problem, as chatting is already annoying. And as to problems with families seeing swearing, not possible, unless its just an over protective parent with an 18 year old, its not possible to see an actual swear. Of course, the words used to create a swear, as replacement for saying the blocked word, is almost just as bad.


Ace, let's use you as an example to the Strike 1 you are out. If you say 1 bad word and get booted out for JUST that word, WHAT will your reaction be? A short term muting in my opinion not less than a MONTH, would make you rethink whether you want to continue with this violation or if you would rather go on and enjoy the game as it was intended. If after that time you continue violating the rules, then it is your loss. Pema-mute should not take 1 or 2 dozen different offenses or even reports but, should be in place by the time you have broken the rules the 3rd time. Strike 3 you are out.

As for creating more problems with the suggested restrictions and requirements? No, it would not. It would ensure that players create wizards and account to actually play the game and not create undesirable social groups to hang around the Commons and Shops.

Not possible to see Swear words? Think again. If it were not possible, we would not be discussing this at all. Just because it takes 1 letter changed or added to a word, does not change what it is and says.

There are a lot of games like this that require at least level 20 or higher before having the option for open or filtered chat. The suggested level limits for this game are actually very close or even slightly under lvl 20 and is not that hard to achieve in a very short amount of time.

You can actually be around level 18 by completing the suggested quests and side quest by the time you reach Krok. Under the current design, you can be in Krok at around level 12, but your wizard strength is still lacking at that level even for Krok. If you complete all of the quests including side quests, but excluding NightSide and Golem Tower, your wizard is better prepared for Krok and more a benefit.

The whole point in this is to make sure that players that have been prema-muted or banned can not turn around and create numerous F2P just for the purpose of SOCIALIZING in the Commons and shops. This change will greatly reduce the amount of foul language seen in the game. This game was not designed to accommodate people not interested in progressing through the game with their wizards. If they are not here to play, then they don't need to be here to disrupt everyone else's enjoyment.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
1305
goldendragon18 writes:
The whole point in this is to make sure that players that have been prema-muted or banned can not turn around and create numerous F2P just for the purpose of SOCIALIZING in the Commons and shops. This change will greatly reduce the amount of foul language seen in the game. This game was not designed to accommodate people not interested in progressing through the game with their wizards. If they are not here to play, then they don't need to be here to disrupt everyone else's enjoyment.


You're right. There are many many players who have been muted, only to turn around and make a F2P account within minutes, to continue their abusive behavior.

By putting chat limits on F2P, and/or level limits, then it would be harder for the abusive chatter to come back immediately. They'd have to level up their wizard for the privilege of text/open chat.

I keep seeing so many low-level wizards complaining that they're 'bored'. That's because all they do is socialize by hanging out in the Commons, the shops, or wherever else they can go to chat with their friends. They don't quest, level their pets, play PvP, or anything else. They just want to hang out. So, why play the game?

Another thing that's becoming common when people are bored, is playing "truth or dare" in the game. Many times, I have seen people asking for personal information, and being 'truth or dare', the 'victims' feel obligated to reveal this information. This could be something like your age, your real first name (or full name), what state do you live in, etc. This is unacceptable, and is against ToU. No one should ask or give personal information.

So, it's not just cursing, or lewd behavior we're trying to put a stop to, it's the other ToU violations that we are trying to prevent. It scares me to death when someone in the game asks another for personal information. Too frequently, these are the ones that are F2P, and are low-levels.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
To the Staff of KI. You have seen the suggestions we have made to help clean the game back up. Many of us are loyal and abide by the ToT/Chat rules of the game and would like very much to see these changes implemented quickly. We know that many of the offensive players have found other realms or locations to continue with their barrage of bad behavior.

Please listen to us. Make the changes and also reduce the number of reports needed to keep this game clean. If necessary, have staff on hand during the overnight hours as well. There are times that the overnight hours can get really graphic and these offenders have not business attacking anyone in the game and especially not our young family members.

Fallon WinterLeaf