Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level Caps Based on Quest

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 19, 2012
So, I had a great (to me, anyway) idea to stop overleveling! WOO! This will stop you from seeing level 47's in the beginning of Marleybone! Okay, I'm going to explain now. Well, you already know what my idea is based on the title, so let's go a bit further. I don't know all the exact quests, so if people could tell me them, I'd love that. Well, I'm gonna stop talking and get to the point:

If you are in Unicorn Way, the level cap is 1-5.
If you are in the Three Streets, the level cap is 5-10.
Through the beginning of Krokotopia, the Fire area, and halfway with the Ice area (Hall of Champions, i think), the level cap is 10-15.
Through the rest of the Krokosphinx and the Tomb of storms, the level cap is 15-20.
Through all of Marleybone up to Ironworks, the level cap is 20-25.
Through the rest of Marleybone, the level cap is 25-30.
Through Mooshu up to Kishibe Village, the level cap is 30-35.
Through the rest of Mooshu, the level cap is 35-40.
Through Dragonspyre up to Labyrinth, the level cap is 40-45.
Through the rest of Dragonspyre, the level cap is 45-50.
Through Celestia up to District of the Stars, the cap is 50-52.
Through the rest of Celestia up to Stormriven, the level cap is 52-55.
Through the rest of Celestia up to Crustecean Empire, the cap is 55-58.
Through the rest of Celestia, the cap is 58-60.
I'm too lazy to write the rest. Bye.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Shadow Ice Thing on Jan 22, 2014 wrote:
So, I had a great (to me, anyway) idea to stop overleveling! WOO! This will stop you from seeing level 47's in the beginning of Marleybone! Okay, I'm going to explain now. Well, you already know what my idea is based on the title, so let's go a bit further. I don't know all the exact quests, so if people could tell me them, I'd love that. Well, I'm gonna stop talking and get to the point:

Through the beginning of Krokotopia, the Fire area, and halfway with the Ice area (Hall of Champions, i think), the level cap is 10-15.
Through the rest of the Krokosphinx and the Tomb of storms, the level cap is 15-20.
how can this be a great idea in anyone's opinion?

they beat quests to get that level because these areas bored them and i really don't understand why kingsisle would go out of their way to make their costumers bored again

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
So,
How would this work?
If my LvL 95 Necromancer wants to help my daughter's LvL 32 Ice in Marleybone, he just can't enter the battles??
What if I do all the side quests and pass your level cap??
Does that mean I lost the storyline, and can't complete anything else??
I'm not trying to shoot your idea down, I just need some more information on how you would implement this.

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
I really don't understand your idea because it's not articulated well. Are you suggesting only players in the level range you suggested (or similar) can quest in that area? If so, players (like myself) who make a point of doing most (if not all) side quests because I prefer to be "overlevelled" when I move on to a new world would find themselves over the cap. What happens to those players? Is my level 66 necromancer in the Science Center of Celestia simply out of luck because she's "over the cap"?

Miranda Nightsinger, Legendary Necromancer
Calamity Windbane, Magus Diviner

Explorer
Oct 19, 2012
Sarg042 on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:
So,
How would this work?
If my LvL 95 Necromancer wants to help my daughter's LvL 32 Ice in Marleybone, he just can't enter the battles??
What if I do all the side quests and pass your level cap??
Does that mean I lost the storyline, and can't complete anything else??
I'm not trying to shoot your idea down, I just need some more information on how you would implement this.
No, the level cap stops overleveling by not letting you pass that level depending on your quests, so the game will kind of work like you are unlocking new levels.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
You already unlock new levels...

Does this mean you can't Teleport "UP-World"???

Like, my lvl 30 Daughter can't teleport to me in say... Azteca, to add another target to my Boss??

Or to Boost me a little so I can hit harder/faster???

I don't really see this taking off...

Plus, after you've completed everything, and you're lvl95 with nothing left to do...

You do things like Power Leveling, just to see how far you can get/ how fast you an get there...

Survivor
Apr 08, 2011
This is not a good idea at all. KI would lose many potential customers! Most players are free players, and they level up by fighting all sorts of NPCs for XP. If this system were to be added, most of the players on here would likely quit! I used to be a free player, before I was not able to buy Crowns or Memberships, so I leveled by just fighting stuff a lot. If this system were added at that time, I would have just quit the game!

-Promethean Thaumaturge

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Shadow Ice Thing on Jan 24, 2014 wrote:
No, the level cap stops overleveling by not letting you pass that level depending on your quests, so the game will kind of work like you are unlocking new levels.
There's absolutely no logical reason for this. Why should you care if someone chooses to level up more than you? There's no such problem of "overleveling". This idea serves no purpose and benefits no one.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
I'm going to have to agree with the general consensus on this one. If this were the case I would not have gotten as far as I currently am because I wouldn't have been able to actually beat the quests i got stuck on. I would've been stuck at the level for the current area without being able to sidequest to get higher health and mana and I would have been unable to get gear needed to increase stats AND would have been unable to get the spells I currently have that I needed to actually beat the enemies in Celestia.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Terrible idea. Why add limits like that?

Most players i know do side quests, so they are always above the minimum entering worlds.

If everyone did sides there wouldn't be so many people complaining about the game being too hard. If you do GH/RS/WT you'll be 56 - 60 starting Celestia, and 70 or so starting ZF. That's good! you'd enjoy those worlds more and struggle less.

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
I am sorry this is a bad idea, for several reasons. One the level caps would ruin the fun for the game, how you put it your lvl 10 on the streets, no that would be insane, I was lvl 20 leaving wizard city. I think doing all the quests are fun and level up as much as possible in the world I am in. I also Farm for certain gear for amount of time and might lvl up. So I would have to agree that this is a bad idea.

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
No...
I'd rather the game stay the way it is. It is fine right now.

Explorer
Oct 19, 2012
For the people saying, "Higher levels make the world easier!" That's the problem RIGHT there. What's the fun in playing a game that's terribly easy?

Delver
Apr 21, 2012

First, if someone wants to just go to a world, without dueling, why shouldn't they? Also, if you get ahead in your levels, the experience is lost. I hadn't even finished two of the Three Streets when i reached level 10. And I was level 22 before I even reached the Ice area of Krokotopia, should people have to lose valuable experience because of this?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I support the OP's suggestion, sort of.

I have 3 wizards in Khrysalis; if a random level 5 joins me, that wizard will level up multiple times due to the XP gain, but I will not. Not to mention that said level 5 wizard does not have the stats to survive that battle and will be dependent on me to sustain him.

It's called power-leveling: using a high-level friend as a teleport pad to gain XP that you haven't earned, in order to level up multiple times. I do not power-level my own wizards and will not do it for yours, either. Sure, I play with teleports turned off and friend requests disabled, but I shouldn't have to do either, to avoid unwelcome circle-jumpers (especially since it doesn't solve the problem of people who ported to someone else and joined my duel).

I don't propose a level-lock, but there should be rules in place for those who have not unlocked the world themselves:

1) those people should not receive the full amount of XP gained by the wizard who actually has the quest (to avoid people abusing friend teleports for the sole purpose of power-leveling), or

2) the person who teleported in should be like Dyvim Whitehart in Khrysalis: stuck like glue to the person that s/he ported to. It would prevent that person from joining battles other than ones they were specifically invited to join and causing a nuisance to other players.

That's the only way I'd feel I could safely friend low-level wizards who don't belong to existing friends.

-von

Explorer
May 17, 2010
I really don't get the level cap idea and it isn't practical. But what I think is practical is that wizards should NOT get quests they haven't reached yet. If you haven't completed the quests leading up to that dungeon, that wizard shouldn't get that quest. Isn't that simple? No it doesn't solve the problem of level 5 porting to a friend in a street fight in AZ, but I think that is a whole different issue.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dr Von on Jan 26, 2014 wrote:
I support the OP's suggestion, sort of.

I have 3 wizards in Khrysalis; if a random level 5 joins me, that wizard will level up multiple times due to the XP gain, but I will not. Not to mention that said level 5 wizard does not have the stats to survive that battle and will be dependent on me to sustain him.

It's called power-leveling: using a high-level friend as a teleport pad to gain XP that you haven't earned, in order to level up multiple times. I do not power-level my own wizards and will not do it for yours, either. Sure, I play with teleports turned off and friend requests disabled, but I shouldn't have to do either, to avoid unwelcome circle-jumpers (especially since it doesn't solve the problem of people who ported to someone else and joined my duel).

I don't propose a level-lock, but there should be rules in place for those who have not unlocked the world themselves:

1) those people should not receive the full amount of XP gained by the wizard who actually has the quest (to avoid people abusing friend teleports for the sole purpose of power-leveling), or

2) the person who teleported in should be like Dyvim Whitehart in Khrysalis: stuck like glue to the person that s/he ported to. It would prevent that person from joining battles other than ones they were specifically invited to join and causing a nuisance to other players.

That's the only way I'd feel I could safely friend low-level wizards who don't belong to existing friends.

-von
There's a couple problems with your example. First, you cannot level up multiple levels at once, EVER. You lose the excess XP that takes you to next level. Second, XP from battles is minimal, the onlly real "power leveling" XP gained is for instance dungeons and you only get that first time through and then 50% second time, then 0. So it really makes no difference when you do it. If you do it early, you don't get any XP when it's part of your actual storyline questing, but you still have to repeat it.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Actually Seethe,
I power leveled my Balance to 40 in about 12 hours using the dungeons between Wizard City and Dragonspyre. I did get multiple levels in many of those dungeons.
I only did it to set a spreadsheet of portable dungeons, and to figure out an experience chart for them, but as stated, I did get 40 levels in about 15 dungeons.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
seethe42 on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
There's a couple problems with your example. First, you cannot level up multiple levels at once, EVER. You lose the excess XP that takes you to next level. Second, XP from battles is minimal, the onlly real "power leveling" XP gained is for instance dungeons and you only get that first time through and then 50% second time, then 0. So it really makes no difference when you do it. If you do it early, you don't get any XP when it's part of your actual storyline questing, but you still have to repeat it.
Yes, and I was referring more to dungeons than simple mob battles. But I still don't support power-leveling or joining random battles underleveled.

-v.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Seethe,
Are you sure you can not get more than 1 level at a time?
I'm pretty sure my Storm Character got almost 5 levels in Mother Moon, when I jumped her in to help boost and heal my Death. She went frmo lvl 38 to 43 if I remember correctly.
It was a few months back, so I could be wrong...

I know I leveled my Balance on only dungeons so I could develop a spreadsheet of portable dungeons.
I found out 2 things.
1 - Once you hit Celestia, the exp from dungeons is less if you're underleveled
2 - You can get 47 Levels doing just dungeons between Wiz City and Dragonspyre. Doubling on only 2 dungeons.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
Shadow Ice Thing on Jan 26, 2014 wrote:
For the people saying, "Higher levels make the world easier!" That's the problem RIGHT there. What's the fun in playing a game that's terribly easy?
If you want to stay as low level as possible, that's your business, but what about the people that just want to be higher level then necessary? Because they enjoy power, because they want to be SURE they're ready for the next world, or they just like doing side quests. This idea will only result in wasted experience for many who play this game.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2011

May I point out that you are forgetting Colossus Boulevard (which adds to leveling) and spell quests that require you to be in a certain level in a certain world at a certain time? Also, there are spells you get in Krokotopia that are based on quests that are also based on level. You get (depending on your school) 2-3 spells in Krokotopia for completing certain zones, and there's no way you'll finish Krokotopia by level 20 (that's when I normally START it).

I also believe you are forgetting about dungeons, like Sunken City and Emperor's Retreat and etc. You do know dungeons can be completed twice for experience right? So that also throws off the leveling system.

Every 8 levels you have a school specific spell quest, and what you're suggesting would require players to backtrack to complete the quest by repeating certain instances. Look at Death in Dragonspyre, we get Scarecrow after completing a spell quest in the Labyrinth. Following your list, Death students would be repeating the Labyrinth dungeon for experience as they go to get their spell, thus throwing off your level caps.

Lol why is overleveling a problem anyways? You're still completing quests, there's no rule saying you can't be level 25 and starting Krokotopia, and actually it makes the game easier if you're higher level than you need to be at a given point.

R.I.P.
Morgrim, Lvl. 82