Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Kingsisle's reporting system is in need of improvement.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
In what age range do you consider someone a child?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
1020
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 17, 2021 wrote:
In what age range do you consider someone a child?
That is up to parent discretion.

We have already said, on multiple occasions, that your suggestions cannot happen because they would be in violation of Kingsisle's Terms of Service. I created this post to discuss methods of strengthening security against cyberbullies, not give them a place to continue playing when they clearly shouldn't. I dearly hate to so heavily disagree with someone, but your points have already been disproven. Please do not discuss them any further on this post.

DemonHunter157

I appreciate your thoughts. However, upon hearing Gabriel Storm's thoughts, I can conclude that restricting chat until Rattlebones is too little an objective. Your opinions are also valid, though.

Here's what I think of as a reasonable compromise. Players cannot have access to Text Chat until they are nearing the end of the game available to non-subscribers; when they are just about to enter Triton Avenue. Does that sound reasonable enough?

Tanner Silver

What an excellent idea! I absolutely love this. I have heard from others the conflicts that can start from reporting notifications, and this would be a good way to see consequences without stirring up further drama. Your thoughts have my full support.

Defender
May 23, 2009
106
I would like to point out that nowadays we can get discord. By asking for another player's discord, you are revealing that you are open to friendships and trying to establish trust. Because of this, you are less likely to get insulted by that person. I'm not saying that everyone has to get discord (if you don't, that's your loss), but the bottom line is, if you want people to be nice to you, you have to be nice to them as well (and the most cases, you have to go first). That's how the society works in general. Not really different in this game than in the real world.

Defender
May 23, 2009
106
anecorbie on Jan 15, 2021 wrote:
This entire post is so wrong in many ways, so I'm going to list your points and my disagreements to them (without resorting to insults telling you how I feel.)
First of all: I don't believe that reporting should be used against rude, insulting players. That it should be used against those who use bad language around the filter, for racial slurs and sexual harassment.
The best response to someone using insults is "ignore" and change realms. This is a bully's nightmare; you have negated their "voice" they might as well be menu chat for all you care.


"If you let them bully they would get what they want and do it less.."
No, the reason people bully isn't because they're bored, they get a mental charge in bullying, that they have been able to make someone feel bad, this gives them power over other players.And if they're not stopped they will do it more.

This game is for everyone who obeys the rules - it is in the the Terms of Service that you agree to before you download the game. They have no right in this game to say bad words, that's why we have a filter even for Open Chat. If they want to "cuss", go and off load some of that (bleep!) among their friends and don't bring it here.
I completely disagree. Being rude and insulting other people is a major part of bullying and it should be a reportable offense. Bullying doesn't typically start with discrimination or physical harm. It starts with teasing that the victim find hurtful and offensive. Words always count towards bullying.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
anecorbie on Jan 15, 2021 wrote:
This entire post is so wrong in many ways, so I'm going to list your points and my disagreements to them (without resorting to insults telling you how I feel.)
First of all: I don't believe that reporting should be used against rude, insulting players. That it should be used against those who use bad language around the filter, for racial slurs and sexual harassment.
The best response to someone using insults is "ignore" and change realms. This is a bully's nightmare; you have negated their "voice" they might as well be menu chat for all you care.


"If you let them bully they would get what they want and do it less.."
No, the reason people bully isn't because they're bored, they get a mental charge in bullying, that they have been able to make someone feel bad, this gives them power over other players.And if they're not stopped they will do it more.

This game is for everyone who obeys the rules - it is in the the Terms of Service that you agree to before you download the game. They have no right in this game to say bad words, that's why we have a filter even for Open Chat. If they want to "cuss", go and off load some of that (bleep!) among their friends and don't bring it here.
so you can use it in a way to say "crap" or "i hate you"?, but there are just some things that should not be filter like: Bruh, oof, ima, dont(with out apostrophe), cant, ?, !, AAAAAAAAAA and etc. These things being filtered make it harder to communicate. I talked to some players who would curse if they fizzle. I dont want cursing enabled so people can insult cultures, nationalities, etc. Its for like saying crap or saying I hate you but meaner to a individual person.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
TPG Miserie on Jan 19, 2021 wrote:
I would like to point out that nowadays we can get discord. By asking for another player's discord, you are revealing that you are open to friendships and trying to establish trust. Because of this, you are less likely to get insulted by that person. I'm not saying that everyone has to get discord (if you don't, that's your loss), but the bottom line is, if you want people to be nice to you, you have to be nice to them as well (and the most cases, you have to go first). That's how the society works in general. Not really different in this game than in the real world.
I agree with you but how does this relate to the topic?

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
Lookit Light on Jan 18, 2021 wrote:
That is up to parent discretion.

We have already said, on multiple occasions, that your suggestions cannot happen because they would be in violation of Kingsisle's Terms of Service. I created this post to discuss methods of strengthening security against cyberbullies, not give them a place to continue playing when they clearly shouldn't. I dearly hate to so heavily disagree with someone, but your points have already been disproven. Please do not discuss them any further on this post.

DemonHunter157

I appreciate your thoughts. However, upon hearing Gabriel Storm's thoughts, I can conclude that restricting chat until Rattlebones is too little an objective. Your opinions are also valid, though.

Here's what I think of as a reasonable compromise. Players cannot have access to Text Chat until they are nearing the end of the game available to non-subscribers; when they are just about to enter Triton Avenue. Does that sound reasonable enough?

Tanner Silver

What an excellent idea! I absolutely love this. I have heard from others the conflicts that can start from reporting notifications, and this would be a good way to see consequences without stirring up further drama. Your thoughts have my full support.
Not going to share too much personal information but I am young and I have not lived long enough to have a lot of experience with conversations on message boards. This seems like a message board for all ages and this is just my opinion. I write posts in my way and thats how I told my opinion so I am not trying to go against anybody or be annoying, I just found this post and decided to say my opinion to have a opposing side on this matter.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
1058
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 17, 2021 wrote:
In what age range do you consider someone a child?
Some people are "mature" at 12; some people are "immature" at 25. Generally speaking (and KI can only act in general terms with it's players) you are considered "adult" by the age of 18 (when KI allows open chat).
Personally, I consider a child as anywhere from 5 to 13; after that you're a teen.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
1058
Lookit Light on Jan 18, 2021 wrote:
That is up to parent discretion.

We have already said, on multiple occasions, that your suggestions cannot happen because they would be in violation of Kingsisle's Terms of Service. I created this post to discuss methods of strengthening security against cyberbullies, not give them a place to continue playing when they clearly shouldn't. I dearly hate to so heavily disagree with someone, but your points have already been disproven. Please do not discuss them any further on this post.

DemonHunter157

I appreciate your thoughts. However, upon hearing Gabriel Storm's thoughts, I can conclude that restricting chat until Rattlebones is too little an objective. Your opinions are also valid, though.

Here's what I think of as a reasonable compromise. Players cannot have access to Text Chat until they are nearing the end of the game available to non-subscribers; when they are just about to enter Triton Avenue. Does that sound reasonable enough?

Tanner Silver

What an excellent idea! I absolutely love this. I have heard from others the conflicts that can start from reporting notifications, and this would be a good way to see consequences without stirring up further drama. Your thoughts have my full support.
I disagree with your thought that Text Chat ought be denied until you reach a certain point in the game; you are punishing many players by the acts of a few. When an adult or near adult enters this game for the first time, they don't want to be treated as if they were a kid. They want to make friends and chat easily with other players. You really can't do that in Menu Chat.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
1020
Coyle IceBalanceStormDeathRiver

Your discussion has gone off topic from the purposes of this post. This post is meant to discuss methods to improve the reporting system, and is not a discussion on chat moderation. If you wish to continue discussing this, feel free to create your own thread on the matter.

Anecorbie

We can agree to disagree on our thoughts on chat block. If you or anyone else has any other thoughts regarding reporting, I would love to hear them.

Defender
May 23, 2009
106
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 14, 2021 wrote:
The reason I want there to be less moderation is not because I want people to get bullied or so you can make insults at people, its so its easier to communicate, express certain emotions, tell people more things and tell people how you are feeling. Plus bullies wont stop bullying if you try to ban them, they will either try to take revenge and bully more people and the person who reported them or think its a game and try to find more and more clever ways to avoid the ban. If you let them bully they would get what they want and do it less because they did some bad things but then they might start concentrating on quests because people get bored of doing bad things to people when they don't get mad and thats the type of people that would be in the free chat realms. You are saying that this game is for everyone, well its not for everyone if its not for people who want to say some bad words in video games. At least add and emoji for some bad words.
Hello Coyle,

As quoted, you want to be able to communicate and express emotions easier. Which is why, any discussions about the limitations of the in game chat (menu chat, text or open chat) makes Discord relevant to the topic because Discord allows you do that. Additionally, you should not look at the reporting system as the only tool you have.

Defender
May 23, 2009
106
anecorbie on Jan 20, 2021 wrote:
I disagree with your thought that Text Chat ought be denied until you reach a certain point in the game; you are punishing many players by the acts of a few. When an adult or near adult enters this game for the first time, they don't want to be treated as if they were a kid. They want to make friends and chat easily with other players. You really can't do that in Menu Chat.
The problem here is Wizard101 is technically a children's game. By playing it, you have to accept, that a child's environment comes first and not an adult's. If that means, restricting text chat until certain points in game is better, than that is the correct move, even if you disagree with it.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
1058
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 19, 2021 wrote:
so you can use it in a way to say "crap" or "i hate you"?, but there are just some things that should not be filter like: Bruh, oof, ima, dont(with out apostrophe), cant, ?, !, AAAAAAAAAA and etc. These things being filtered make it harder to communicate. I talked to some players who would curse if they fizzle. I dont want cursing enabled so people can insult cultures, nationalities, etc. Its for like saying crap or saying I hate you but meaner to a individual person.
Why curse? Can't you express frustration or disappointment without resorting to four letter words? Cursing isn't communication, and BTW, you can say "I don't like you". Yes, hate is a stronger word, but it's unnecessary.
AAAAAAA isn't a word, that's why it's filtered. None of those on your list is a real word. If it's not in the game dictionary, then, sorry, it'll be filtered.
Or you can use emojis to express your feelings (and even menu chat sees this).

Administrator
Thanks all for the continued discussion. It's a sensitive topic that needs to be met with measured moderation that matches our community's expectations and underlying policies. Those policies are very strict to protect younger age groups, so know that moderation will by this need be stricter than other games may employ.

I'm noting that we've let a few of the milder words through here since they were staged specifically as examples to get the point across. This won't always be allowed, especially for stronger words, so please continue to submit posts to moderation with reasoned responses that we won't have to later reject.

As I always say, "context and intent matter".

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
TPG Miserie on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
Hello Coyle,

As quoted, you want to be able to communicate and express emotions easier. Which is why, any discussions about the limitations of the in game chat (menu chat, text or open chat) makes Discord relevant to the topic because Discord allows you do that. Additionally, you should not look at the reporting system as the only tool you have.
I dont have discord, I do have zoom though but I dont think links work, plus it will be weird if I just made some in-game friend(s) and want to say things that are filtered and just invite them to a zoom call. For me that would feel awkward just going "hi random person" and just talk to him. I dont know.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
anecorbie on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
Why curse? Can't you express frustration or disappointment without resorting to four letter words? Cursing isn't communication, and BTW, you can say "I don't like you". Yes, hate is a stronger word, but it's unnecessary.
AAAAAAA isn't a word, that's why it's filtered. None of those on your list is a real word. If it's not in the game dictionary, then, sorry, it'll be filtered.
Or you can use emojis to express your feelings (and even menu chat sees this).
yes but making noises like ow(ouch is allowed but sometimes I want to type ow because its shorter), and I dont know why you MUST have an apostrophe in cant and dont its just easier to type with out it also its annoying to pu spaces everytime you are screaming like having to go a a a a a a a a a instead of AAAAAAAA, and why are caps not allowed its really weird to have no caps. And when i fizzle i want to type bruh or oof but thats also filtered

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
Sparck on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
Thanks all for the continued discussion. It's a sensitive topic that needs to be met with measured moderation that matches our community's expectations and underlying policies. Those policies are very strict to protect younger age groups, so know that moderation will by this need be stricter than other games may employ.

I'm noting that we've let a few of the milder words through here since they were staged specifically as examples to get the point across. This won't always be allowed, especially for stronger words, so please continue to submit posts to moderation with reasoned responses that we won't have to later reject.

As I always say, "context and intent matter".
I am also making a new post like Lookit Light suggestedabout some phrases that are moderated.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
anecorbie on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
Why curse? Can't you express frustration or disappointment without resorting to four letter words? Cursing isn't communication, and BTW, you can say "I don't like you". Yes, hate is a stronger word, but it's unnecessary.
AAAAAAA isn't a word, that's why it's filtered. None of those on your list is a real word. If it's not in the game dictionary, then, sorry, it'll be filtered.
Or you can use emojis to express your feelings (and even menu chat sees this).
can there be like a censored emoji

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
1058
TPG Miserie on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
The problem here is Wizard101 is technically a children's game. By playing it, you have to accept, that a child's environment comes first and not an adult's. If that means, restricting text chat until certain points in game is better, than that is the correct move, even if you disagree with it.
Children under 13 are protected by Menu Chat; KI has taken the child's environment into consideration already and noting more is needed.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
anecorbie on Jan 20, 2021 wrote:
I disagree with your thought that Text Chat ought be denied until you reach a certain point in the game; you are punishing many players by the acts of a few. When an adult or near adult enters this game for the first time, they don't want to be treated as if they were a kid. They want to make friends and chat easily with other players. You really can't do that in Menu Chat.
So you want text chat disabled for kids only because they bully people and you want it to take longer until they can bully you? but adults can bully to so if you enable it only for them because kids can bully then some mean adults could still bully people.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
anecorbie on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
Children under 13 are protected by Menu Chat; KI has taken the child's environment into consideration already and noting more is needed.
but if text chat filters bad words whats the point of not letting under 13 have it honestly there should not be an age limit if I knew text chat existed when I first started playing the game(I was under 13) I would try to get text chat straight away

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
1058
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
can there be like a censored emoji
Old style cartoon strips (newspaper) used to use various punctuation to suggest swearing, like: *#@!
Don't know how it would work in a game that practically uses no punctuation, except, . ? !
I kind of like that idea, though. Use it for your text suggestion post.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
1561
I am strongly in favor of maintaining at least the current standard if not stricter when it comes to filters. I am very glad that KingsIsle attempts to make a family friendly safe place including limiting strong language.

I wanted to speak regarding the "Rattlesbones" limit or other such limit. I do, but don't like that idea. I understand the premise of making it inconvenient for accounts, but at the same time I don't know if you want to inconvenience actual new players.

I feel like a major issue and often when I report someone is if they are deliberately swearing around the filters. It's one thing to type something in anger or frustration but then the automatic filter should just turn it red and blurb it out. However, using creative spelling etc. is deliberate (as Spark put it, has intent). I wonder if using the reporting feature in addition to the text box there could be a dropdown list of what category it falls under. "Foul Language" "bullying" etc. Not sure if that would be useful or not.

To go back to the Rattlebones issue. Is there a particular location where this issue is more common? For example, The Commons and PVP area would come to mind. Perhaps the Rattlebones or Level 5 text limit would only apply in those areas. Though I suppose that does mean that people could congregate in Ravenwood, Golem Court, Olde Town or the Shopping District. I just wonder if it could be restricted to certain areas. I just imagine that in the streets that actual players would want to talk and if they were completely muted that would harm the FTUE.

Long and the short of it, if changes are made-don't backtrack. The higher language is part of the reason I play Wizard101

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
291
anecorbie on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
Children under 13 are protected by Menu Chat; KI has taken the child's environment into consideration already and noting more is needed.
Whats the point of having text chat disabled for people under 13 (or unless they change the settings in the setting thingy), if cursing or saying anything rude is filtered. Also is the reason text chat until you reach 13 is because you dont want under 13 people learning curses or is it another reason

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
1058
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 25, 2021 wrote:
Whats the point of having text chat disabled for people under 13 (or unless they change the settings in the setting thingy), if cursing or saying anything rude is filtered. Also is the reason text chat until you reach 13 is because you dont want under 13 people learning curses or is it another reason
This is for the parents of children under 13, who DON'T want their children exposed to filthy language of all types (not just swear words). KI is advertised as "child" or "family friendly" for that reason.
Of course, some adults swear and bully, but not all of them. Why punish the majority because of a minority of foul mouthed half-wits?



P.S. I believe we have reached the end of this argument, it doesn't really have anything to do with this subject: "Stricter Filters", so let's agree to disagree and let it alone.