Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dr. Von's Amazing Arcane Photo Booth :)

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
recently, i saw a post in which someone suggested a wizarding yearbook. this sounds like an awesome addition to the game, and it sort of inspired this little twist: Dr. Von's Amazing Arcane Photo Booth!

who: any wizard who is level 2 or higher.
what: a dusty old photo booth.
where: shopping district, somewhere near elik's edge or thereabouts.
when: said wizard unlocks the shopping district.
why: because it's fun. and because Dr. Von herself said so.

how it works:

-a wizard can enter the photo booth either alone or with friends;
-a maximum of 4 wizards can be in it at the same time.
-all wizards will be prompted to deposit 50 crowns (or 500 gold) before entering (to reduce the risk of abuse by those with less-than-noble intentions).

once all the wizards in the booth have paid the amount,the person who initiated the photo chooses a pose:

-traditional
-silly (making faces, etc.)
-sweet (swooning emote, hugging, or arms around friends)
-candid (random)

once the picture is taken, the wizard can hang it on her (or his) castle/dorm wall and show it off. all photos will also be added to each wizard's scrapbook and can be accessed later through the (newly-created) Scrapbook tab by pressing C on your keyboard.

this is obviously very rough, so suggestions/comments/feedback are all welcome. but try not to take yourself too seriously in the process: this is a game, after all.

-von "step into the darkroom and watch what develops" shadowsong

Survivor
Feb 20, 2012
Great idea, hope they implement this!
Jesse Drakebreaker Adept
Thomas Darkstaff

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2012
Awesome idea! But the 'C' key already makes the main page in you spellbook pop up, so it might have a small change. Although that is a minor problem. Anyway, I think it should be 1,500-5,000 gold, which is a resonable amount, and everybody chooses their own pose, which could lead to so crazy and wacky photos. All in all, awesome idea, and KI should make this!

Defender
Jul 03, 2012
Dr Von on Aug 10, 2014 wrote:
recently, i saw a post in which someone suggested a wizarding yearbook. this sounds like an awesome addition to the game, and it sort of inspired this little twist: Dr. Von's Amazing Arcane Photo Booth!

how it works:

-all wizards will be prompted to deposit 50 crowns (or 500 gold) before entering (to reduce the risk of abuse by those with less-than-noble intentions).

once all the wizards in the booth have paid the amount,the person who initiated the photo chooses a pose:

-traditional
-candid (random)

once the picture is taken, the wizard can hang it on her (or his) castle/dorm wall and show it off. all photos will also be added to each wizard's scrapbook and can be accessed later through the (newly-created) Scrapbook tab by pressing C on your keyboard.

this is obviously very rough, so suggestions/comments/feedback are all welcome. but try not to take yourself too seriously in the process: this is a game, after all.

I like the idea. Especially for the poses and things! But instead of the person who initiated the photo, how about they all get there choice? So it can be like: A girl with a staff, a guy in the middle who has his arms around the two other people, and a girl in the corner making a silly face or random. I still think this is a fabulous idea though :)!

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I'm with you Von, I think it's important to brainstorm and be collaborative and thoughtful, rather than just scoffing and tossing ideas against the Great Wall of No.

I think photo booth would be great.

Questions,

-Would pictures include pets? With 4 players, 4 pets, could get hard to breathe in there.
-Would the booth allow you to use player transformations, like Cyclops?
-Opening up a can of worms here, but... how kid-friendly are hugging and arm contact?

Building upon your idea, I think photographs could make use of very basic photo editing features, like added graphics, frames, or captions like "best friends," "the dream team," etc.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012

how it works:

-traditional
-candid (random)

Love the idea. Would make great additions to houses. We have portraits of all the professors and major villains, it would be really nice to have our friends too. My only addition would be that it be a single player option. What I mean by that is you pay your 1000 gold or 10,000 gold or whatever, pick the friends you want in the portrait from your list, choose the order, the mode/style, pick a frame, add a small plaque with names (you could see this when mousing over the picture) then buy. This way even offline friends or people who may have stopped playing as much can be added to your homes.

Explorer
Dec 11, 2009
Yes. This would be amazing to have implemented! I could finally have that wall of pictures. Finally. Maybe you could also buy your own camera for photos from the Crown's Shop... You know, for taking that epic picture by the final boss.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
@Alura~ you got me...Can I live?

lol, it was 4 in the morning. maybe the s-key would work instead? and, after rereading it the next day, I agree with you that 100 crowns/1500 gold is probably more reasonable.

@Warped~ i agree with you that allowing each person to choose their own would be awesome, and i thought about it. but it didn't want to go overboard with new coding requirements; if someone who knows more about programming than i do can offer another viewpoint as to how this *would* work, please do.

@lucas~ transformations and pets are no-go, for precisely the reasons you described (you see, sparky the damp demon just so happens to be claustrophobic, just like his owner).

as for your last question, i had a feeling this would come up. so here it is:

in terms of the kid-friendliness of hugging and/or arms around friends, i think it's perfectly safe: it happens all the time at schools, at home, on the playground, etc. i grew up in a family of huggers and have always been affectionate with friends, so this is no big deal to me (i do, however, know to respect other people's boundaries and personal space).

no act is innately 'safe' or 'kid-friendly', but for social conditioning that deems it so. platonic affection toward friends is normal and healthy, and kids will only fear it if adults teach them that they should.

i do like the caption idea as well; stickers and something like the 'dream team' slogan would be an awesome addition.

-von

Defender
Dec 15, 2013
great idea!! i hope ki adds that in the game some day.

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
This needs to be put in the game! I think if it's just you in the Photo Booth, you should have the option of making it look like it's a painting. And for any amount of people in the Photo Booth, you should be able to decide if you want the Photo small, medium, large, or extra large. You can also choose what type of frame you want your photo in.

-Nick

Mastermind
Dec 17, 2010
Dr Von on Aug 11, 2014 wrote:
@Alura~ you got me...Can I live?

lol, it was 4 in the morning. maybe the s-key would work instead? and, after rereading it the next day, I agree with you that 100 crowns/1500 gold is probably more reasonable.

@Warped~ i agree with you that allowing each person to choose their own would be awesome, and i thought about it. but it didn't want to go overboard with new coding requirements; if someone who knows more about programming than i do can offer another viewpoint as to how this *would* work, please do.

@lucas~ transformations and pets are no-go, for precisely the reasons you described (you see, sparky the damp demon just so happens to be claustrophobic, just like his owner).

as for your last question, i had a feeling this would come up. so here it is:

in terms of the kid-friendliness of hugging and/or arms around friends, i think it's perfectly safe: it happens all the time at schools, at home, on the playground, etc. i grew up in a family of huggers and have always been affectionate with friends, so this is no big deal to me (i do, however, know to respect other people's boundaries and personal space).

no act is innately 'safe' or 'kid-friendly', but for social conditioning that deems it so. platonic affection toward friends is normal and healthy, and kids will only fear it if adults teach them that they should.

i do like the caption idea as well; stickers and something like the 'dream team' slogan would be an awesome addition.

-von
S key won't work because that's already used to make your wizard go backwards. How about the E key?

Survivor
Feb 28, 2010
I think that the photo booth should be a housing item free of charge. you should be able to get the item from a bundle card. This way it would make the item a lot more exciting because of the select amount of people that have the item. Another possibility could be like the gift givers in house such as the minotaur in the acropolis and the gorilla in the zafarian house. Either way i hope this idea gets into the games. Thanks :D

Blaze Ashshard lvl 78
Balance wizard

Explorer
Aug 13, 2013
Nicholas Hawkspear on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
S key won't work because that's already used to make your wizard go backwards. How about the E key?
L and K also

Defender
Nov 10, 2012
Cool idea! Though I don't think the C key would work, but after all it is a rough draft.

Survivor
Mar 16, 2009

how it works:

-traditional
-candid (random)

well we do have picture scan But THATS AMAZING its so cool i hope its added lol

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
Love this idea!!!! Especially if putting "bunny ears" over someone's head in the picture is an option. Heh heh heh heh heh!

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Grandmaster Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Magus Sorcerer
Sabrina Boomblossom, Journeyman Theurgist

Defender
Sep 18, 2010

how it works:

-traditional
-candid (random)

~ I'm glad to see you've taken to my idea. And I really like how you upgraded it a bit, and I hope something like this comes to Wizard101. Even Mr. Coleman himself (One of the original developers for Wizard101) said he had a fancy for the Camera/Yearbook idea. And I'm sure not only he but everyone else would love this idea as well. :) ~

~ Sincerely, Jace "Umbra" Daniels . . . .

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Compliments Doc, excellent idea!

I suggest there should be an option for a sepia-tone photo.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2011
I like this idea!

Will each wizard be given a model of themselves where they can move the arms and stuff around to pick the exact pose they want?

Also, let's talk about what the pictures will look like on the walls of our houses.
1. Will we get to pick the size of the picture? You and your best friend in one big picture, you and three hatching buddies who don't get together for much else in a small picture, etc.
2. Will we be able to put several small pictures together above, below, and beside a larger picture like some people do with family tree pictures in real life?
3. Combining items from my first two questions, what about a real life family that has five members! Will we be able to take individual pictures that can be fitted together so that everyone can be in the same wall hanging?

There was a question of how much this costs. How about make the cost based on the size of picture you are buying, and only make every wizard who wants a copy of the picture have to pay?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
hi everyone~ glad to see that this board is still active (even though i am not so much these days).

just a few follow-up comments, etc:

@emerald, was that you who posted the idea originally? if so, then hats off to you~ it's an awesome suggestion, with or without my proposed upgrades. and it's cool that j. todd was behind such a thing as well.

(i have been an avid simmer for 14 years; it's not an mmo, but there is a photo booth in-game that allows you to take silly/romantic/normal pictures with a friend or significant other... this idea was also partly based on that, with some obvious differences)

@siliconwolf, i don't know if it's possible to make it quite so involved. if this is ever implemented, i'll let the computer whizzes at ki figure that part out (i'm as technical as a turnip).

to address some of your other points:

1. yes. standard sizing (small, medium, large, x-large) applies. and, the more people inside the booth, the bigger the picture.

2. i love your 'family tree' (ish) idea; maybe a montage or collage of some sort? we could always craft 'special' frames (in the shape of hearts, or trees, or something pretty).

3. i come from a family of six, so this was something i did consider. however, since the max # of people allowed on a sigil at one time is 4, that's the magic number i stuck with. for the second half of this answer, see above.

if anyone else has questions/comments/concerns, post away! i will reply to you as quickly as i can.

-v.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2011
ooh! this is a fabulous idea! My rating for this is: of 5