Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death wants full strength on enhancements

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
So the reason why death gets half strength enhancements is cause it was never supposed to be used both as an attack and a heal???? Was ice originally intended to be immune or near immune to everything while having enhancement cards with tons of plus 40% type blades to stack ontop of those enhancements. Give me a break. Death's attacks heal them most of the time to start with, giving them full strength on their enhancement cards isn't going to heal them any further than full health, yet when death attacks its damage and its healing coming back to it are added together in terms of attracting whomever they hit attention. Death deserves and needs full strength on enhancements and no one believes death school is by any means the strongest attackers, most on the forums outright say that death is amongst the lowest hitting attackers, as such death deserves full strength on its enhancements.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
290
I play death at lvl 80 and find it quite manageable in solo play and group play. Sure we don't get as many blades as others do, and our spells hit for less, but we make up for it with feint and plenty of utility spells like virulent plague. Sure I'd like to hit harder, but in group play, I'll end up debuffing and trapping monsters more. It makes the battles go faster when you can help those who can hit harder one shot a whole group of mobs.

I don't think death school was really meant to be a big hitter. back when level 50 was the max level, I think we were meant to be a solo class. We didn't need so many heal spells because our attacks healed us. As the level cap got raised our role changed in the upper levels. We could still solo, but our damage output did not keep up with the other schools. We could still defeat enemies, but not as quickly. We gained some good debuff spells which makes running tough dungeons a lot easier if you don't have a healer. Additionally, if you play things right, you almost end every battle close to full health while others don't.

If you have trouble managing your agro from the mobs after an attack, try waiting until someone else attacks before casting crow or start loading up on pacify type spells.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
Simple math, death does get the full power from the enhancements. It is just that said enhancement is hidden. Since death's drains attacks do both damage and heal, a boost to attack will also lead to a boost to heal. Thus if death wold gain full damage from the enhancements they would also get an aditional heal boost...an unfair advantage. Thus KI adjusted the enhancement so that death does get the full benefit, just split between heal and attack.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
nesossin06 wrote:
I play death at lvl 80 and find it quite manageable in solo play and group play. Sure we don't get as many blades as others do, and our spells hit for less, but we make up for it with feint and plenty of utility spells like virulent plague. Sure I'd like to hit harder, but in group play, I'll end up debuffing and trapping monsters more. It makes the battles go faster when you can help those who can hit harder one shot a whole group of mobs.

I don't think death school was really meant to be a big hitter. back when level 50 was the max level, I think we were meant to be a solo class. We didn't need so many heal spells because our attacks healed us. As the level cap got raised our role changed in the upper levels. We could still solo, but our damage output did not keep up with the other schools. We could still defeat enemies, but not as quickly. We gained some good debuff spells which makes running tough dungeons a lot easier if you don't have a healer. Additionally, if you play things right, you almost end every battle close to full health while others don't.

If you have trouble managing your agro from the mobs after an attack, try waiting until someone else attacks before casting crow or start loading up on pacify type spells.


we make up for it with feint???? ... most schools train death as a secondary school to get feint so death makes up nothing with feint

ice school wasn't meant to be a big hitter, but with its ample high percentage blades that bolster its full use of enhancement cards it becomes a heavy hitter, why isn't death given the same damage benifit that the others schools have (any excess healing from dealing damage attacks isn't helpful to death but its damage plus incoming healing are most certainly added together in terms of taunting ability and getting everything to attack it)

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
290
seasnake wrote:
nesossin06 wrote:
I play death at lvl 80 and find it quite manageable in solo play and group play. Sure we don't get as many blades as others do, and our spells hit for less, but we make up for it with feint and plenty of utility spells like virulent plague. Sure I'd like to hit harder, but in group play, I'll end up debuffing and trapping monsters more. It makes the battles go faster when you can help those who can hit harder one shot a whole group of mobs.

I don't think death school was really meant to be a big hitter. back when level 50 was the max level, I think we were meant to be a solo class. We didn't need so many heal spells because our attacks healed us. As the level cap got raised our role changed in the upper levels. We could still solo, but our damage output did not keep up with the other schools. We could still defeat enemies, but not as quickly. We gained some good debuff spells which makes running tough dungeons a lot easier if you don't have a healer. Additionally, if you play things right, you almost end every battle close to full health while others don't.

If you have trouble managing your agro from the mobs after an attack, try waiting until someone else attacks before casting crow or start loading up on pacify type spells.


we make up for it with feint???? ... most schools train death as a secondary school to get feint so death makes up nothing with feint

ice school wasn't meant to be a big hitter, but with its ample high percentage blades that bolster its full use of enhancement cards it becomes a heavy hitter, why isn't death given the same damage benifit that the others schools have (any excess healing from dealing damage attacks isn't helpful to death but its damage plus incoming healing are most certainly added together in terms of taunting ability and getting everything to attack it)


If you don't like how death school is, maybe you should consider starting a new character with a different school. I see that storm hits very hard. Or you keep mentioning ice, so make an ice wizard. :) I personally don't see anything wrong with how death is. If you want to hit harder, then train up a bit of balance as well and only use Dr. Von's Monster to attack. That way you get to see the big damage numbers like everyone else.

As it is now, Death is a good solo school, a good school for group support, and a self healer. Add anything more to them and they would be called over powered.


Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
seasnake wrote:
nesossin06 wrote:
I play death at lvl 80 and find it quite manageable in solo play and group play. Sure we don't get as many blades as others do, and our spells hit for less, but we make up for it with feint and plenty of utility spells like virulent plague. Sure I'd like to hit harder, but in group play, I'll end up debuffing and trapping monsters more. It makes the battles go faster when you can help those who can hit harder one shot a whole group of mobs.

I don't think death school was really meant to be a big hitter. back when level 50 was the max level, I think we were meant to be a solo class. We didn't need so many heal spells because our attacks healed us. As the level cap got raised our role changed in the upper levels. We could still solo, but our damage output did not keep up with the other schools. We could still defeat enemies, but not as quickly. We gained some good debuff spells which makes running tough dungeons a lot easier if you don't have a healer. Additionally, if you play things right, you almost end every battle close to full health while others don't.

If you have trouble managing your agro from the mobs after an attack, try waiting until someone else attacks before casting crow or start loading up on pacify type spells.


we make up for it with feint???? ... most schools train death as a secondary school to get feint so death makes up nothing with feint

ice school wasn't meant to be a big hitter, but with its ample high percentage blades that bolster its full use of enhancement cards it becomes a heavy hitter, why isn't death given the same damage benifit that the others schools have (any excess healing from dealing damage attacks isn't helpful to death but its damage plus incoming healing are most certainly added together in terms of taunting ability and getting everything to attack it)


So your argument boils down to the fact that because ice gets high level blades and can boost its lower damage higher death's enhancements deserve to gain an unfair boost. I fail to see the connection here. Drain spells are unique in that they do 2 things at once 1) deal damage and 2) heal. The fact that an overheal does not help you is no different than the fact that an overly damaging attack does not help a wizard. Their is no beneficial difference in doing 200 damage to a 200 health boss or 3000 damage to a 2000 health boss.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
I've played most schools up to level 80. Death is a school I enjoyed but its damage is weak and its weak due to 50% enhancements while no other school suffers this penalty. The reason Wizard101 gave for this was that death school both attacks and heals with their attacks, not all of their attacks but only half of their attacks. The increase in damage would in no way place death any stronger in hitting as any other school, and every school tends to train in life anymore and has the ability to heal. I mention ice school as it is originally was supposed to be the weakest hitting school around but it just isn't anymore, it gets tremendous blades that no one else gets, blades on wands and the like and suffers no penalty from enhancement cards that death does so all those high percent blades give ice school extra damage it never was oringinally intended to have. Why should death school be nerfed? As new worlds are added and levels progress and new enhancement cards are introduced death will simply get weaker and weaker at the 50% nerf.

Explorer
Jan 31, 2011
66
I, myself am life, but I know what death is talking about. I was questing with a death, and we were fighting many bosses. Each fight I took the boss in one round, and my death friend took the minion. It took 2 rounds for him to kill the minion. Death may need another blade or trap, maybe 2.

I also agree with those who say no. Death gets the benefit of healing and attacking all in the same round, same spell. Also, death, if you want more blades and traps, just craft wintertusk gear. I have wintertusk and waterworks both at the same time. I usually keep my wintertusk hat (giving me a stronger lifeblade) on.

Try these, then go complaining.

Evan Life level 80
Alyssa Heart level 17

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
323
I am a level 79 death in Dun Dara now and although I love death, there are many things that bug me.
This enchantment issue is not going to be addressed again. as it already has been done once.
My issues:
We have to wait till level 48 before obtaining an AoE is probably the biggest. I hated my forties with death. Only having wraith on mobs was rough.
After crow, things really got better. Crafted WT gear gave me another blade, and I breezed through CL and ZF.
In Avalon, my gear showed its weakness, mainly in block. For death, the high block gear (crafted AV) meant giving up power pips (92 to high 60s) and damage (80 to high 60's IIRC) just to ensure I block the ubiquitous boss criticals.
Basically I had to revamp how to play the character. With power pips in the 60's, I have about an equal number of white pips, so my fights are 4 rounds longer. Combined with lowered boost meant that many mob fights are now 2 crow fights (unless an unblocked critical gets through).
I have again started to really detest my wizard. Too much take and not enough give.
I have high critical now, but that matters little as bosses mostly block still (at 220).
Maybe the Deer Knight spell will help, as that will enchant fully?
I absolutely understand your problem seasnake, but it seems that after WW gear was released, KI has been backpeddling with further gear to keep things competitive, especially PvP. And we are not going to get a full enchantment for the damage. Just ain't gonna happen.
pods

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
1024
seasnake wrote:
I've played most schools up to level 80. Death is a school I enjoyed but its damage is weak and its weak due to 50% enhancements while no other school suffers this penalty. The reason Wizard101 gave for this was that death school both attacks and heals with their attacks, not all of their attacks but only half of their attacks. The increase in damage would in no way place death any stronger in hitting as any other school, and every school tends to train in life anymore and has the ability to heal. I mention ice school as it is originally was supposed to be the weakest hitting school around but it just isn't anymore, it gets tremendous blades that no one else gets, blades on wands and the like and suffers no penalty from enhancement cards that death does so all those high percent blades give ice school extra damage it never was oringinally intended to have. Why should death school be nerfed? As new worlds are added and levels progress and new enhancement cards are introduced death will simply get weaker and weaker at the 50% nerf.


The 50% isnt a nerf, it is a rebalancing tool to make sure that death's attacks get the same amount of benefit from enhancements that every school gets. Only drain spells will be limited to a weaker enhancements, pure damage death spells are not. The simple fact is that death can deal damage and heal at the same time with drain spells. Also I am confused about your blade argument. Death has access to the same percentage blades as ice does, am i missing something here?

Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
21
It's fine the way it is. If you don't like it, delete your Death. It hasn't been changed since sun spells were about. It won't be changed now.

-Formerly known as gtafreak101

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2631
The sun damage enchancement restriction for Death drains, isn't to keep their damage lower.....it is to prevent their healing from going higher. Hence, why Skeletal Pirate can be enhanced to max with sun spells.

If you want to do more damage with Sun enchantments with Death spells, switch to a non-drain spell (they do more base damage anyways).

Your reason that a change is necessary based on the fact heals will never heal beyond full health is invalid. All schools have that same problem. The exception is that other schools have to waste a turn to heal (or overheal); death doesn't have to, it attacks and heals in the same turn.

Ice's situation (or any other school) doesn't change this fact and is an illogical arguement. (The premise that one thing that is unfair should imply a change in a completely unrelated situation). By that token, Balance could suggest they need a new global spell because Ice has great resist and can buffs attacks (it doesn't help validate the arguement for Death).

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
144
nesossin06 wrote:
I play death at lvl 80 and find it quite manageable in solo play and group play. Sure we don't get as many blades as others do, and our spells hit for less, but we make up for it with feint and plenty of utility spells like virulent plague. Sure I'd like to hit harder, but in group play, I'll end up debuffing and trapping monsters more. It makes the battles go faster when you can help those who can hit harder one shot a whole group of mobs.

I don't think death school was really meant to be a big hitter. back when level 50 was the max level, I think we were meant to be a solo class. We didn't need so many heal spells because our attacks healed us. As the level cap got raised our role changed in the upper levels. We could still solo, but our damage output did not keep up with the other schools. We could still defeat enemies, but not as quickly. We gained some good debuff spells which makes running tough dungeons a lot easier if you don't have a healer. Additionally, if you play things right, you almost end every battle close to full health while others don't.

If you have trouble managing your agro from the mobs after an attack, try waiting until someone else attacks before casting crow or start loading up on pacify type spells.


Couldn't agree more. If you add up the percents, death can do a lot of damage with feint and curse and all our other stuff.

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
182
Change the title to seasnake wants full strength on enchancements