Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A change to stun in PVE - my second thread

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 02, 2015
I made a post about changing stun to pve only in the pvp section and I guess everyone thought it was kind of a dumb idea. Thread is too old to comment on now.

Now Mirage is out and every other fight can and will stun you or your entire team. That's just obnoxious.

My idea was: Have a new game mechanic in pve that gives players inherent stun resist in pve from like like level 50 to 90 and have it go up one percent a level to a max of 40% and my reasoning for this was to add more variety to the game and make it more fun/less monotonous going through it.

I addressed the stun block and conviction counter argument. Conclusion - it's an inefficient waste.

Since the base argument for inherent stun resist now has a basis with mirage being half annoying stun, would anyone else like to put in their two cents for this idea?

What I wrote before:

"Inherent stun resistance would add some variety to pve play. I can't tell you how annoying it is to just be stunned out of no where, let alone your entire party. When I see frost giant come out, I think it would be a lot more fun to have just a CHANCE at not getting stunned rather than just knowing it's going to happen. It makes things a little different and significantly less monotonous.

Would just make the game more fun. I would much prefer variety beyond just "well, my team is just set back a turn now." Because otherwise, stun is pretty much nothing but a nuisance in pve."

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
Defender
May 02, 2015
jordan night blood on Dec 5, 2016 wrote:
This is a pve only stat?
That's what I'm suggesting because it would be a problem for pvp to have this introduced.

But I mean, idk, stun is just a really annoying mechanic when you're trying to play through the game. So this is just my idea to perhaps make the game a little more fun.

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
luckguy93 on Dec 5, 2016 wrote:
That's what I'm suggesting because it would be a problem for pvp to have this introduced.

But I mean, idk, stun is just a really annoying mechanic when you're trying to play through the game. So this is just my idea to perhaps make the game a little more fun.
Oh, well in that case, yes, this is an amazing idea. I was just worried if this was implemented into PvP it would break the game even more so. But since it's PvE only I would love to see this

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
You concluded Conviction and Stun Block were an inefficient waste. Others didn't agree with you.

I do not see how this makes the game more fun. I don't see why it's fun to overcomplicate the game and add YET ANOTHER category of stats, when the stats are already countered by existing game mechanic.

I don't see any justification for this other than you don't like to be stunned. Fabulous. Probably nobody does, so we're going to make it possibly not happen. Nobody likes to get hit either, should our characters have built in dodge? How about built in deflection that prevents the opponent from trapping or infecting?

Where does the complication end? I'm all for challenging content - but I'm not for overcomplicating a game that is intended to be played by all ages. Adding additional stats ad nauseam does that.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
PaigeGoldenspear on Dec 7, 2016 wrote:
You concluded Conviction and Stun Block were an inefficient waste. Others didn't agree with you.

I do not see how this makes the game more fun. I don't see why it's fun to overcomplicate the game and add YET ANOTHER category of stats, when the stats are already countered by existing game mechanic.

I don't see any justification for this other than you don't like to be stunned. Fabulous. Probably nobody does, so we're going to make it possibly not happen. Nobody likes to get hit either, should our characters have built in dodge? How about built in deflection that prevents the opponent from trapping or infecting?

Where does the complication end? I'm all for challenging content - but I'm not for overcomplicating a game that is intended to be played by all ages. Adding additional stats ad nauseam does that.
Stun Resistance is already in the game... Did you not know that? You can get gear and jewels and pet talents that increase it, this thread just suggests we get some naturally, like with Power Pip Chance.

Defender
May 02, 2015
PaigeGoldenspear on Dec 7, 2016 wrote:

Does any of this really matter anyway? I have no illusions about what the game developers truly care about anymore, this probably not being anywhere on the radar. I am more concerned about the new reshuffle not working right than this idea. It's just putting out an idea.

Stun block and conviction being a waste, while others may not have agreed, is based at least partially in fact. This is true when you consider turns gained vs turns lost, including the turn it takes to cast the spell, not to mention whether a stun is attempted or not. While everyone is entitiled to their opinion, it is not a wholly opinionated medium.

Not liking being stunned and not wanting to take damage are not the same thing. Please don't fill my topic with red herrings. Or do.

You want to talk about needless complication? Then lets talk needless complication: Pip conversion - this is useless for pve in about 95% of all scenarios (probably more), whereas pvp there may be an argument for it. The same is true for for something like conviction and stun block. Outside of specific dungeons or bosses, there is no true use for them in pve play.

My argument for this change is really quite simple: Getting stunned isn't something that can be overcome. Not like damage, accuracy, or debuffs. You just sit there and aren't allowed to play. Every time. Other games try to remove elements that flat out say "you can't play" and try to balance it with something better.

Why complicate things? Because the alternative is keeping this jumbled intersection of pve and pvp. In the same way they should have just made life's Rat robes no pvp, there are similar game mechanics that can better serve the community if they were simply split apart rather than share the same game space.

And besides, even if by some miracle this was put into the game, how is it that complicated? It's a pretty straight forward change that 95% of the community would enjoy/like. Those kinds of numbers are never seen in stat changes from KI.