Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wondering about my school(s) of magic.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 20, 2008
10
Hey! First off I am a lvl 40 Life wizard in Mooshu, which I am almost finshed with. I love being a Life wizard because of the healing aspect of course, but I was wondering if I were to switch my second school from Death to either Ice, Storm or Fire what would be the best combo.

Don't get me wrong Death is fine but some of the spells work against eachother if you know what I mean, like Sanctuary( When I get it ) and Doom and Gloom. Also, if you think I should just stay tell me why! Thanks, I realize every school will have its own weakness and strength but I was just wanting some opinions! Thanks for reading this!

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
163
sk8erangel wrote:
Hey! First off I am a lvl 40 Life wizard in Mooshu, which I am almost finshed with. I love being a Life wizard because of the healing aspect of course, but I was wondering if I were to switch my second school from Death to either Ice, Storm or Fire what would be the best combo.

Don't get me wrong Death is fine but some of the spells work against eachother if you know what I mean, like Sanctuary( When I get it ) and Doom and Gloom. Also, if you think I should just stay tell me why! Thanks, I realize every school will have its own weakness and strength but I was just wanting some opinions! Thanks for reading this!


For life (as for most schools) the best option is to have two secondary schools. By the time you can get the high level spells for your secondary school, your power pip level should be up fairly high. As such, higher level non-primary school spells simply waste your power pips and force you to waste time, which means you take more hits than you need to take. A better option is to pick your secondary schools with an eye on improving the effectiveness of your school's spells or improving your survivability. My recommendation is to get Death spells up to Feint. A 70% boost is great, especially considering Life's low base damage. The other school I'd recommend is Ice. Get the Ice spells up to tower shield. In this way, you'll end up with the 80% life shield, 70% death and myth shields, 70% fire and storm shields, and a 50% tower shield that protects against everything. If you have the extra training point, you can get an 80% ice shield from the girl in the fairgrounds in wizard city too. Of course, you also want the spirit blades from Niles, the balance tree in Krokotopia. At the end of the day, you'll end up with a wizard with great healing skills, but who can also go toe to toe with any enemy in the spiral when it comes to dishing out damage. Better yet, your excellent shielding skills will buy you the time you need to properly build your attacks. Your wizard will be capable of soloing pretty much any area in the spiral, but will be a much sought after teammate once others realize the full range of your abilities. Btw, I'd recommend that any player creating such a wizard from scratch begin with Ice as their first secondary school, since you can get tower shield at level 16 (ten levels before you can get feint), and then immediately switch over to death school. If you're doing the Zeke quests, you should be able to get feint either by the time you enter DS, or shortly into your time there. In other words, you'll get it in time for when the health of your opponents really goes up. That's how I build my life wizard, and it's worked so well I've become the go to wizard for a number of wizards on my friends list.

Survivor
Oct 20, 2008
10
Wow! Thanks! I never really thought of doing two secondary schools. But it sounds like it really works! ! ! So I'm going to buy back my training pts. ( I was already going to do this so no worries really ) Go up to 16 in Ice, Switch over to Death and get up to Feint ( Which I really like already!) And Go to Krokotopia to pick up a few things there sound about right? Or do I have the Death/Ice thing backwords? haha

Alright, so IF you ever read this again haha I have a question, although I still have to finish Mooshu and DS, After I get everything else would it be wise to get something like the Sun school in Celestia? Or to add more to the Death/Ice

So anyway, Thank you TONS

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
1309
sk8erangel wrote:
Wow! Thanks! I never really thought of doing two secondary schools. But it sounds like it really works! ! ! So I'm going to buy back my training pts. ( I was already going to do this so no worries really ) Go up to 16 in Ice, Switch over to Death and get up to Feint ( Which I really like already!) And Go to Krokotopia to pick up a few things there sound about right? Or do I have the Death/Ice thing backwords? haha

Alright, so IF you ever read this again haha I have a question, although I still have to finish Mooshu and DS, After I get everything else would it be wise to get something like the Sun school in Celestia? Or to add more to the Death/Ice

So anyway, Thank you TONS


I am not the other poster who gave you such great advice, but i can answer this question.

I have a legendary life wizard. I did as the other poster stated. Death to feint, and ice to tower along with the spirit blades and traps from Niles in krok. Using this combo, i soloed almost all of DS including the towers before they shortened them.

As for Celestia, I trained in the star spells but now wish i trained in Sun. I would suggest getting the damage boosting sun spells (not the accuracy ones). The added damage would help tremendously. When I first started Celestia, Ice was the only school I did not have a shield for. It only took one fight with an ice enemy to make me run to fairgrounds and get one. Luckily, I had training points left. I also got one mutation spell--sprite to dark sprite. I use it to break shields, because it also leaves behind a trap.

I would suggest stopping death at feint and ice at tower shield because as Stanklepoot said, at higher level non-primary school spells are a waste of power pips.

Even now, at level 60 I have 3 training points left. I know I can use them to get the sun school spells, but I am holding off on that right now.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

P.S. another small bit of advice, if you are not already doing this...Use a death wand. Life enemies sometimes spam the death shields. By using a death wand, you can remove the death shields that may interfere with your prisms.

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
163
superluther wrote:
sk8erangel wrote:
Wow! Thanks! I never really thought of doing two secondary schools. But it sounds like it really works! ! ! So I'm going to buy back my training pts. ( I was already going to do this so no worries really ) Go up to 16 in Ice, Switch over to Death and get up to Feint ( Which I really like already!) And Go to Krokotopia to pick up a few things there sound about right? Or do I have the Death/Ice thing backwords? haha

Alright, so IF you ever read this again haha I have a question, although I still have to finish Mooshu and DS, After I get everything else would it be wise to get something like the Sun school in Celestia? Or to add more to the Death/Ice

So anyway, Thank you TONS


I am not the other poster who gave you such great advice, but i can answer this question.

I have a legendary life wizard. I did as the other poster stated. Death to feint, and ice to tower along with the spirit blades and traps from Niles in krok. Using this combo, i soloed almost all of DS including the towers before they shortened them.

As for Celestia, I trained in the star spells but now wish i trained in Sun. I would suggest getting the damage boosting sun spells (not the accuracy ones). The added damage would help tremendously. When I first started Celestia, Ice was the only school I did not have a shield for. It only took one fight with an ice enemy to make me run to fairgrounds and get one. Luckily, I had training points left. I also got one mutation spell--sprite to dark sprite. I use it to break shields, because it also leaves behind a trap.

I would suggest stopping death at feint and ice at tower shield because as Stanklepoot said, at higher level non-primary school spells are a waste of power pips.

Even now, at level 60 I have 3 training points left. I know I can use them to get the sun school spells, but I am holding off on that right now.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

P.S. another small bit of advice, if you are not already doing this...Use a death wand. Life enemies sometimes spam the death shields. By using a death wand, you can remove the death shields that may interfere with your prisms.


Excellent response. Pretty much agree with everything you said, especially the death wand. Aside from the times when you fight life school enemies, a death wand will come in handy for breaking tower shields and getting rid of any weakness cast on you without triggering your traps or blades (except for feint of course, and you don't trigger a feint just to get rid of a weakness). Technically, you could use any non-life wand for most of this, but you'll want the death wand for life enemies anyway. So, no reason to buy two when one will do.

As for the astral schools, they all have their benefits. Suns damage boosting spells (strong, giant, monstrous, and gargantuan) are great and boost your damage significantly, since that added damage will also be multiplied by your gear bonuses, blades, and traps. I ended up typically using treasure card versions of monstrous and gargantuan. It costs a lot of gold, but it allows you to put both enchanted attack cards and damage boosters in the sideboard. That way you can boost the attack cards already in your deck, or grab an attack card from the sideboard if your deck isn't cooperating with you. Star school has some valuable spells too. Unlike the sun school spells that boost individual spells, star school spells boost your wizard for up to 4 rounds. You can get 15% boosts to attack power, defense, or critical attack...although only one boost can be active at a time. Casting a second aura will make the first go away. With the Moon school you can polymorph, but that's not really essential if your wizard is built the right way.

One final note: your choice of gear is vital. Obviously you want a good amount of health, but you also want to focus on power pip odds and attack power. Defense is nice too if you can get the power pip and attack boosts as well, but given the high shielding skills and cheap healing (due to the high power pip rate) your wizard will have, it's the first stat I would sacrifice if you have to choose between the three stats when buying your gear.

P.S. to answer your question, you seem to have it right. Again, I would do the Ice School first for the simple reason that you can get the tower shield at level 16, but feint can't be learned at best until the 26th level. Also, you'll face a fair amount of balance enemies, including bosses, throughout the game. The sooner you can shield yourself against their attacks the better. Tower shield also helps to deal with non-primary school attacks launched by enemies. So, the training point breakdown goes like this:

Ice school: 5 training points used to get tower shield.
Death School: 7 training points used to get feint.
Niles, the balance Tree: 1 training point used to get spirit blades (you can get spirit traps too, but they're not necessary and they will use a training point that could be used to get feint).
Fairgrounds in Wizard City: 1 training point used to get Ice Shield (think it's actually called Snow Shield). You can get that right away if you want, or you can hold off and just use tower shield against ice enemies for now so that you can get feint quicker. Make sure you have the shield before you go to the Grotto in Celestia however.

To pay for these spells, you get 1 tp early on. You also get 1 tp every 4 round up through level 20. So, by level 16 you'll have the five you need to get tower shield. If you did the Zeke quest in WC, you'll have 1 tp left after getting Tower Shield. By the time you hit level 20, you'll have 2 tps left (of course, you'll probably be getting these spells as you go, but I'm trying to keep the tp progression simple). So, you'll need 5 more tps to get to feint. You can get 2 more by completing the Zeke quests in Krok and MB. You'll get another tp for gaining level 25, but you'll want to use this tp to get those Spirit Blades. So, at level 25, you're still 3 tps away from feint. You'll get two of those from leveling up to levels 30 and 35. Then, it's simply a matter of getting to level 40 or finishing the zeke quest in MooShu, whichever comes first. So, you'll have feint no later than by the time you finish MooShu. Actually, you'll have it before you face the Jade Oni, which is a good thing. After getting feint, use your next tp to get that Snow Shield. After that, you can do whatever you want, including save up for extra astral school spells (this way you can get both the damage boosts from sun school and the star school spells to boost your wizard). Forget about the higher level ice and death school spells. Not only do they waste power pips and leave you taking hits as you wait for your pips to fill up, your gear won't boost them (unless you get specially crafted gear that will leave you weaker elsewhere) and you won't have as many attack boosts you can use on them.

Survivor
Oct 20, 2008
10
Thanks to the both of you!! I had JUST enough for both the Ice to 16 and Death to Feint! I didn't think it was going to make as big a difference as it has! I used to get down below 1000 a lot but in every battle I've been in so far I haven't gone below 1500 =) I still need Spirit Blades from Niles and the Ice sheild but once I finish some Zeke quests I had forgot about I should have them. =-) Thanks you guys!

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
163
sk8erangel wrote:
:D No, you are giving me good advice too! Thanks! So like the other poster was saying, should I go up to Feint first? Or do Ice up to lvl 16


If you're just starting out or fairly early in building your wizard, you're better off doing ice first. You get the tower shield a lot earlier, and it will come in very handy as you level.