Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why are some people so toxic??

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 24, 2015
3
I had renamed my pet “Meatball” and thought it was cute and funny. I ported to one of my friends in the commons and we chatted for a bit. A few seconds later, one of his friends ported to him too. I said “look at my new pet, meatball” to my friend, to which the girl who ported in said “nice stats. Oh wait. They’re terrible.” Then she continued to insult my clothing and mount.

I didn’t know what to say, it was super rude. Of course, I didn’t want to be mean back, so I just said nothing.

What’s the point of people being so egotistical and toxic? Especially in the commons, pvp, or in dungeons. Super disappointing.

Geographer
Aug 23, 2016
968
Unfortunately there has been an influx of Trolls who have somehow managed to disguise themselves as wizards.

They have infiltrated every world of the spiral.

Traits to look for to tell if it's a troll in wizard disguise:
Will join battles just to get the additional mob fight and then flee.
Will continuously insult and malign your wizard (often right to your face).
Will enter a dungeon only to flee at the worst possible time.
Will order you around during a battle and complain about your lack of "Tactics"

In short these trolls are out to destroy your (and every other wizard's) fun.

Pay no attention to these trolls if their behavior violates KI's terms and rules report them.

Steven Ghoststalker
102

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
32
Hey! I'm sorry to hear that happened. You know how people have different favorite flavors of ice cream? A lot of people will not like your favorite ice cream and may even say that your ice cream is bad. But it doesn't make it worse because there are many others that love that same flavor. I'm sure your pet, gear, and mount is a favorite of others as well.

So my point is that even though she was being rude, it is great that you weren't rude. She probably has a favorite pet, gear, and a mount as well. Accepting that everyone is different is a great thing, so I say you were definitely in the right for not being rude in return. Keep being you! :)

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1842
Some people can only feel good about themselves if they're making other people feel bad. At their core, they don't have good self-esteem. So I pity them to an extent, but I also refuse to let their poison harm me. Their issues have nothing to do with me and there's no reason why I'd chose to hang around and subject myself to their abuse.

Avoidance is the best policy. In the game, put them on Ignore right away - then you won't "hear" anything they say. Also change realms if you need to.

Sorry you ran into a Poisonous Polly.

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
2106
morgankimcarnes on Jul 12, 2018 wrote:
I had renamed my pet “Meatball” and thought it was cute and funny. I ported to one of my friends in the commons and we chatted for a bit. A few seconds later, one of his friends ported to him too. I said “look at my new pet, meatball” to my friend, to which the girl who ported in said “nice stats. Oh wait. They’re terrible.” Then she continued to insult my clothing and mount.

I didn’t know what to say, it was super rude. Of course, I didn’t want to be mean back, so I just said nothing.

What’s the point of people being so egotistical and toxic? Especially in the commons, pvp, or in dungeons. Super disappointing.
I want to say that I totally LOVE this sentence in your post: 'I didn’t want to be mean back, so I just said nothing.'

You're a nice person and I respect how you handled it.

It's also because you're a nice person who would never treat anyone else in that way that you will never really understand why some people are like that. There are a multitude of reasons (some of which are more excuse than reason) why people randomly treat others badly. We'll never work out which reason/excuse fits each person in each incident...but we don't need to.

Just like you chose not to cut them down for their cruelty we can also choose to assume whatever is the least negative explanation, that leaves us with the least negative feelings. It may not be the accurate reason...but we'll never know the accurate reason anyway! Perhaps it is selfish, but I choose to go with what makes me feel the least upset, resentful or hurt. I defend their behaviour...no, I dismiss their behaviour...as inconsequential by giving it the simplest solution. Then we can focus on whoever has been hurt and helping them dismiss the negativity they encountered.

In the Spiral we don't know who is behind the wizard or what they're dealing with irl. If we knew it was a kid who is getting bullied every day we might be more sympathetic to their outburst. Does it matter if they're not? We'll never know if we're right or not.

I choose to assume unkind people are hurting, lacking confidence and still learning that not everything in the world is bad. They haven't yet understood the value of kindness and friendships and encouraging each other. It applies to real life as well as in the Spiral or anywhere else.

We'll never really understand their negative behaviour but we can hope one day they'll find their way to the joy of realising there is much good in the world! Keep smiling and keep being you...and 'Meatball' is a funny, cute name imo!

Sorry they were horrible to you! Hugs to baby Meatball!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1443
morgankimcarnes on Jul 12, 2018 wrote:
I had renamed my pet “Meatball” and thought it was cute and funny. I ported to one of my friends in the commons and we chatted for a bit. A few seconds later, one of his friends ported to him too. I said “look at my new pet, meatball” to my friend, to which the girl who ported in said “nice stats. Oh wait. They’re terrible.” Then she continued to insult my clothing and mount.

I didn’t know what to say, it was super rude. Of course, I didn’t want to be mean back, so I just said nothing.

What’s the point of people being so egotistical and toxic? Especially in the commons, pvp, or in dungeons. Super disappointing.
"I said “look at my new pet, meatball” to my friend, to which the girl who ported in said “nice stats. Oh wait. They’re terrible.” Then she continued to insult my clothing and mount."

Have experienced much the same from time to time in this game.

Seems there are people anywhere who try to bring others down to their own level of misery. Some people are happy when other people are happy? Other people revel in making other people unhappy.

I've mentioned before, those who crash a battle circle, "inspect" my wizard then criticize everything about the stats, gear, etc. Criticize my playing. They were not invited to begin with!

There was also a friend who would criticize what I did or didn't do. I never asked for the advice to begin with nor did I criticize back. Just asked them to stop. After a year plus of not stopping I had to block them.

Mute, port away, block, report if it continues. We can't fix them but we can avoid them.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1443
Oh and I had someone make fun of a pet name before too.

It was a cutesy pet name and I was on a male wizard. It was a random male wizard who I had helped via a team up. Instead of saying thank you for the help they insulted me and my pet's name.

I thought, "really?"

I mean who has time for that?

Who cares what the pet's name is?!

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
1626
Im curious on what your set could be if they felt like they had the right to call it out? (Along with what level and school)

If they wanted to help you out on your gear choice they shouldve just suggest gear and not insult your current set.

Example of what not to do
"Wow your gear is trash, get good noob"

Example of what to do
"I think a Malistaire's Cowl of Flux would work great and make you even stronger"

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
657
morgankimcarnes on Jul 12, 2018 wrote:
I had renamed my pet “Meatball” and thought it was cute and funny. I ported to one of my friends in the commons and we chatted for a bit. A few seconds later, one of his friends ported to him too. I said “look at my new pet, meatball” to my friend, to which the girl who ported in said “nice stats. Oh wait. They’re terrible.” Then she continued to insult my clothing and mount.

I didn’t know what to say, it was super rude. Of course, I didn’t want to be mean back, so I just said nothing.

What’s the point of people being so egotistical and toxic? Especially in the commons, pvp, or in dungeons. Super disappointing.
You and Meatball are always welcome on my team!
First, Meatball is an awesome pet!
Second, some folks are just egotistical and toxic.
A few of them believe they're being helpful.
Others think they're keeping "it" real.
So, kudos to you for saying nothing mean back.
Your approach and positive attitude make W101 a better game and community.
And on a final note - you can always smile, and click the ignore button.

Defender
Jul 01, 2015
120
Well maybe they work for Grandfather Spider to discourage wizards from defeating him

Survivor
Mar 26, 2009
14
It's really sad to see a family game infested with so much toxicity. At this point, I don't believe that there's a whole lot of good people left here. I've encountered every archetype that Area51Alien mentioned and even the people that seemed decent at first that I've tried to befriend end up lacking manners.

It's even worse when you realize that this is a mmo. I don't want to be silent and keep to myself because the air around me is poisoned with many toxic players. I want to make friends, quest together, farm bosses together, hang out and mess around with them. And honestly, I just don't want to have to bother dealing with someone harassing or insulting me. While I'm not going to respond to it, it's irritating that I can't report it without it being known and receiving even more harassment and insults for it and the lengths to which you have to go to completely avoid some people such as leaving the realm, or even the area completely is just saddening.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2008
11
Coming back to the game recently I've noticed a huge spike in toxic players vs what existed in like 2008-2010 its disheartening to see but the best thing to do is ignore them they're just looking for a reaction so don't give them one and play the game for you and have fun who cares about stats and all that I still wear my Pioneer dragon which has absolutely nothing on it and people can deal with it that being said though there is still a lot of nice people in the game (like all the commenters above) that you can run into as well just pay no mind to the naysayers

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1443
LightofRuin on Jul 24, 2018 wrote:
It's really sad to see a family game infested with so much toxicity. At this point, I don't believe that there's a whole lot of good people left here. I've encountered every archetype that Area51Alien mentioned and even the people that seemed decent at first that I've tried to befriend end up lacking manners.

It's even worse when you realize that this is a mmo. I don't want to be silent and keep to myself because the air around me is poisoned with many toxic players. I want to make friends, quest together, farm bosses together, hang out and mess around with them. And honestly, I just don't want to have to bother dealing with someone harassing or insulting me. While I'm not going to respond to it, it's irritating that I can't report it without it being known and receiving even more harassment and insults for it and the lengths to which you have to go to completely avoid some people such as leaving the realm, or even the area completely is just saddening.
"it's irritating that I can't report it without it being known"

Exactly -- I wish it did not alert the person. I cannot think of a good reason for the alert. There must be one -- I just can't think of one.

"and receiving even more harassment and insults for it"

Exactly -- "snitches get stitches" has no place in a family/kid game.

I'd report any verbal attacks. It can go to a pattern. Those are harassment imo and bullying. It's not just someone being cranky or rude but going out of their way to disrupt a player's enjoyment of the game, which *will* hit KI directly in the pocketbook.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
you hit the nail right on the head; part of the reason i left this game in the first place was because people are so toxic, and there's enough of that offline that i just didn't want to deal with it in a game that's supposed to be a respite from the real world.

i'm glad you didn't stoop to their level by being rude back. and meatball is an awesome name for a pet~ don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

-von
125 and her flying squirrel, baron von meatball

Survivor
Jul 27, 2012
33
morgankimcarnes on Jul 12, 2018 wrote:
I had renamed my pet “Meatball” and thought it was cute and funny. I ported to one of my friends in the commons and we chatted for a bit. A few seconds later, one of his friends ported to him too. I said “look at my new pet, meatball” to my friend, to which the girl who ported in said “nice stats. Oh wait. They’re terrible.” Then she continued to insult my clothing and mount.

I didn’t know what to say, it was super rude. Of course, I didn’t want to be mean back, so I just said nothing.

What’s the point of people being so egotistical and toxic? Especially in the commons, pvp, or in dungeons. Super disappointing.
Hey, hun

I know where you're coming from! The truth is, people are immature and have insecurities, so they take out their own misery by making others miserable. But I'm really proud of the way you handled it, you didn't retaliate and that's very mature of you. Honestly, whenever that happens just unfriend them and leave immediately. They don't deserve a friend like you. And if you're good friends, then it'll hurt them that you left and that way they will learn their lesson.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1035
LightofRuin on Jul 24, 2018 wrote:
It's really sad to see a family game infested with so much toxicity. At this point, I don't believe that there's a whole lot of good people left here. I've encountered every archetype that Area51Alien mentioned and even the people that seemed decent at first that I've tried to befriend end up lacking manners.

It's even worse when you realize that this is a mmo. I don't want to be silent and keep to myself because the air around me is poisoned with many toxic players. I want to make friends, quest together, farm bosses together, hang out and mess around with them. And honestly, I just don't want to have to bother dealing with someone harassing or insulting me. While I'm not going to respond to it, it's irritating that I can't report it without it being known and receiving even more harassment and insults for it and the lengths to which you have to go to completely avoid some people such as leaving the realm, or even the area completely is just saddening.
You and me both.

Survivor
Sep 26, 2013
14
most toxic people are usually the hitting schools,storm and fire.they are always asking for blades or heal while being mean.They are very mean to balance and other low hitting schools.On my balance I usually just flee from them and find someone else to help my whiz or hire henchmen.When they speak mean things,I say to them I don't speak troll!

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
272
LightofRuin on Jul 24, 2018 wrote:
It's really sad to see a family game infested with so much toxicity. At this point, I don't believe that there's a whole lot of good people left here. I've encountered every archetype that Area51Alien mentioned and even the people that seemed decent at first that I've tried to befriend end up lacking manners.

It's even worse when you realize that this is a mmo. I don't want to be silent and keep to myself because the air around me is poisoned with many toxic players. I want to make friends, quest together, farm bosses together, hang out and mess around with them. And honestly, I just don't want to have to bother dealing with someone harassing or insulting me. While I'm not going to respond to it, it's irritating that I can't report it without it being known and receiving even more harassment and insults for it and the lengths to which you have to go to completely avoid some people such as leaving the realm, or even the area completely is just saddening.
One thing I am puzzled by, why do you say you can't report without it being known, and you get more harassment and insults? Yes, they know they've been reported, but how do they know it is you? Is this happening to you during fights or in dungeons, when you are the only other one there? Are you talking to the trolls, trying to warn them first?

Usually the trolls like to be bad in very public places, with many others around. They crave attention. They seem to desire people to tell them stop, and then attack more. Don't give them what they seek. If they break terms of use, report, without talking to them at all. Maybe they realize, "Oh no, I got reported!" and leave. Maybe they go , "Hey, who reported me?" Maybe they get reported and start attacking everyone around, for reporting them, and get worse. At that point, report them again for the new offense, and others might be reporting them too, without you ever knowing it. KI gets a big red flag, and when the moderators see it, they take action. You may not see that they did. The mute or ban might happen later in the day. Some brag about having their other wizards banned, but KI has the ability to block an IP address, if they have a bad repeat offender, who tries to make new accounts to troll. The troll might have just used up their last chance to reform.

If you are stuck in the dungeon, alone with the trolls, you can report them if they break the terms of use, then flee and put them on the ignore list, or stay and put them on the ignore list, as you wish.

There are still nice players running around the spiral, too, hope you find more of them.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
lucusx on Jul 29, 2018 wrote:
most toxic people are usually the hitting schools,storm and fire.they are always asking for blades or heal while being mean.They are very mean to balance and other low hitting schools.On my balance I usually just flee from them and find someone else to help my whiz or hire henchmen.When they speak mean things,I say to them I don't speak troll!
"i don't speak troll."

okay, that's funny. i might have to borrow that from you.

that said, i don't think any particular school is home to toxic behaviour. toxic people are toxic, regardless of which avatar they're hiding behind.

i ran darkmoor on my storm last night. i ended up on a great team with awesome communication, and the run was actually pretty fun; even though i ended up being the dd (my teammates were life, balance, and death), i let them hit if they wanted to and would have been more than happy to support another storm/fire wizard if there had been one, because i'm not a horrible person.

my main wizard is balance and, when i run into people who start barking orders or demanding my buffs, i don't say anything: i just keep my buffs for myself and let them get defeated, or i flee. if i'm feeling nice, i might give a warning beforehand~ something to the effect of, "keep this up and i'm outta here".

-von

Administrator
If anyone in the game is disrupting gameplay for yourself or others, especially if it's something illegal or abusive, please do contact us at community@wizard101.com and we'll investigate right away. Please include screenshots of any chat or activity that would clarify the issue.

Thanks!