Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The lengths people will go to...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 06, 2011
25
So, I am still astounded at the trouble some people will go to in order to get around the chat filter. I recently had an encounter (and reported it) with a person attempting to lure others to Facebook under certain "pretenses".

There are a billion other places on the internet you can go to bother, and prey on people. So why do they do it here? Unless, of course, they are looking for younger folks (sad, really). Why not go someplace where there is no filter? Why not simply go to a chat room? It just astonishes me.

With that said, at first I hated the filter (currently using open chat now). Then it grew on me. Now, I think the game should just go to menu chat only, with the option of exchanging friend codes. It's just that ridiculous.

Whatever happen to just playing games together for fun? :?


Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
874
Just as you see pathetic people in life,so too do you see them here. I make liberal use of the report button anytime I see inappropriate behavior.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2010
14
First off, I understand where you're coming from. There are people out there with nothing better to do than make peoples lives miserable.

However, having Menu Chat only is out of the question.
Just continue reporting said offenders, and move on. Open chat is very handy and nice when you're with people that you know. As well as making it easier to communicate in certain battles.
A handful of people shouldn't ruin open chat for everyone.
Besides, name a game where there aren't people like that. I've been playing online games for a very, very long time, and as always, there's going to be people out there that try to ruin the game for everyone.
Just report them, they'll get dealt with, life and game go on.

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
755
i disagree with being totally chat filter.
i would probably write the game off as not being
a friendly game and go find another one
even tho i have spend a few hundred dollars here.

what needs to be done is those who violate the filter
need to be placed on
chat suspension and allowed only menu chat
till time served is up and
a warning next time is longer t
hen on the third time banned from chat entirely.


Champion
May 03, 2011
447
Now, I think the game should just go to menu chat only, with the option of exchanging friend codes. It's just that ridiculous.

As a parent, I strongly disagree with this idea--it won't ever be implemented for other reasons, but objection is a simple one. The majority should never be limited in their freedoms because of the behaviors of a minority. And these people--the ones using obscene language and harassing others--are a minority. Think what would happen if government worked this way! Police on every corner, cameras in ever nook and cranny. No, I think the system is fine the way it is. Kids are learning that with freedom comes responsibility. They need to report behaviors that violate the rules. They shouldn't lose their freedom of expression because someone else needed to use bad language. The spiral is a microcosm of the world, albeit a safer one for kids, since we are all anonymous. You should simply report the stuff you see that seems egregious, and let the rest go. Kids will be kids, and they need to push the limits sometimes.

And besides, the game would collapse if it only allowed menu chat. No one would play, because the social interaction would be nil. You couldn't even discuss dungeon strategy. Nope. Not a good idea, with all due respect.

Defender
Apr 26, 2009
103
If some one is being strange, creepy, or just plain weird: JUST LEAVE!
The can't follow you, and if they keep chatting to you, put them on ignore.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2011
25
tabby714 wrote:
Now, I think the game should just go to menu chat only, with the option of exchanging friend codes. It's just that ridiculous.

As a parent, I strongly disagree with this idea--it won't ever be implemented for other reasons, but objection is a simple one. The majority should never be limited in their freedoms because of the behaviors of a minority. And these people--the ones using obscene language and harassing others--are a minority. Think what would happen if government worked this way! Police on every corner, cameras in ever nook and cranny. No, I think the system is fine the way it is. Kids are learning that with freedom comes responsibility. They need to report behaviors that violate the rules. They shouldn't lose their freedom of expression because someone else needed to use bad language. The spiral is a microcosm of the world, albeit a safer one for kids, since we are all anonymous. You should simply report the stuff you see that seems egregious, and let the rest go. Kids will be kids, and they need to push the limits sometimes.

And besides, the game would collapse if it only allowed menu chat. No one would play, because the social interaction would be nil. You couldn't even discuss dungeon strategy. Nope. Not a good idea, with all due respect.

We are talking about a game, not the government, here. You're using a slippery-slope argument. I don't think you would want your kids being led to a live video chat on Facebook with some of these people. I don't even have kids, and I worry for the kids!

I'm sure there will never be a perfect solution, and in my years of playing MMORPGs, sadly, the behavior has only grown worse. Again, I can easily report and ignore, but I worry for the kids.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
SvetlanaVladikov wrote:
First off, I understand where you're coming from. There are people out there with nothing better to do than make peoples lives miserable.

However, having Menu Chat only is out of the question.
Just continue reporting said offenders, and move on. Open chat is very handy and nice when you're with people that you know. As well as making it easier to communicate in certain battles.
A handful of people shouldn't ruin open chat for everyone.
Besides, name a game where there aren't people like that. I've been playing online games for a very, very long time, and as always, there's going to be people out there that try to ruin the game for everyone.
Just report them, they'll get dealt with, life and game go on.

I agree. Having on the Menu Chat is just unacceptable. I'm not here to 'talk' but open chat comes in really handy in battling big bosses. Just keep reporting; KI deals with this swiftly.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2011
3
lilycat1111 wrote:
If some one is being strange, creepy, or just plain weird: JUST LEAVE!
The can't follow you, and if they keep chatting to you, put them on ignore.


I think this is a very good point, no one can force you to talk to them, just ignore the foolish and annoying ones, like the people who are so sad they stand around the commons saying "I need a guy, I need a girl"
I also think if you have talked to someone for months or even years and are good friends with them there shouldn't be a problem with facebook or myspace or whatever, however you should be CAREFUL with who you give information to anywhere on the web, so why should wizard be any differant?
Go on any website or game and you will find the wackos, parents should keep an eye on their kids if their worried, or turn off chat if they are protective.
If you want them to do anything why not ask them to make a mature server for adults to talk? they have a test realm, why not a realm for the kids and parents/family who want to play together with limited chat, and then a realm for adults who want to discuss tactics, dungeon detail and such, I can honestly see why they ban facebook and age discussions but really I think there should be a happy medium somewhere. you can't naysay anyone who wants to talk to their friends about real life, and some people are just friendly.
The main point of what I'm saying is if your kids play, keep an eye on them! its not wizard101s fault if they meet a sicko, and you shouldn't blame facebook either. there are a thousand decent folks who probably wouldn't mind meeting a friend outside wizard for every idiot trying to take advantage of people. just report the ones you get a bad feeling about or seem to be trying to take advantage and leave it at that.

Champion
May 03, 2011
447
tabby714 wrote:

Now, I think the game should just go to menu chat only, with the option of exchanging friend codes. It's just that ridiculous.

As a parent, I strongly disagree with this idea--it won't ever be implemented for other reasons, but objection is a simple one. The majority should never be limited in their freedoms because of the behaviors of a minority. And these people--the ones using obscene language and harassing others--are a minority. Think what would happen if government worked this way! Police on every corner, cameras in ever nook and cranny. No, I think the system is fine the way it is. Kids are learning that with freedom comes responsibility. They need to report behaviors that violate the rules. They shouldn't lose their freedom of expression because someone else needed to use bad language. The spiral is a microcosm of the world, albeit a safer one for kids, since we are all anonymous. You should simply report the stuff you see that seems egregious, and let the rest go. Kids will be kids, and they need to push the limits sometimes.

And besides, the game would collapse if it only allowed menu chat. No one would play, because the social interaction would be nil. You couldn't even discuss dungeon strategy. Nope. Not a good idea, with all due respect.

We are talking about a game, not the government, here. You're using a slippery-slope argument. I don't think you would want your kids being led to a live video chat on Facebook with some of these people. I don't even have kids, and I worry for the kids!

I'm sure there will never be a perfect solution, and in my years of playing MMORPGs, sadly, the behavior has only grown worse. Again, I can easily report and ignore, but I worry for the kids.


I actually think your argument has the slipperier slope, if you will. Kids need to learn to interact in a world that is not going to be actively policed at all times. They need to learn to recognize threats, to respond accordingly. Your Facebook example is pretty extreme--I've sat in the Commons many times and never heard anything like that. I don't doubt it happened, but I doubt it's happening constantly. Should we limit freedoms based on a worse-case scenario? What happens when these kids encounter similar things in the real world? Yes, I am a parent. And it's MY RESPONSIBILITY, not KI's, to make sure that my kid knows how to respond to stuff like this. KI does the best they can to ensure a safe environment that still allows for social interaction and yes, fun. The rest is up to us, as citizens of the world, the Spiral, and as parents. My kid would never give out information to anyone in this game because I have taught him not to. He's responsible, and I trust him enough to let him have Text Chat. He's handled it well, and learned a lot about online social interactions as a result. It's all good, from our perspective.

Less freedom for everyone is never, in my experience, the best response to the bad behavior of a few.

Mastermind
Mar 28, 2009
328
I usually want to stay out of it but when it gets way out of control, well, there is a report button a couple inches from my cursur.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
514
UncleGlenny wrote:
So, I am still astounded at the trouble some people will go to in order to get around the chat filter. I recently had an encounter (and reported it) with a person attempting to lure others to Facebook under certain "pretenses".

There are a billion other places on the internet you can go to bother, and prey on people. So why do they do it here? Unless, of course, they are looking for younger folks (sad, really). Why not go someplace where there is no filter? Why not simply go to a chat room? It just astonishes me.

With that said, at first I hated the filter (currently using open chat now). Then it grew on me. Now, I think the game should just go to menu chat only, with the option of exchanging friend codes. It's just that ridiculous.

Whatever happen to just playing games together for fun? :?



NO. We will NOT go to menu chat only. Too much work to do codes to everyone, makes the game hardly playable nor fun, and I will quit. I am sorry that some people are like that but please deal it. It is all on the games.

Defender
Sep 05, 2010
177
UncleGlenny wrote:
So, I am still astounded at the trouble some people will go to in order to get around the chat filter. I recently had an encounter (and reported it) with a person attempting to lure others to Facebook under certain "pretenses".

There are a billion other places on the internet you can go to bother, and prey on people. So why do they do it here? Unless, of course, they are looking for younger folks (sad, really). Why not go someplace where there is no filter? Why not simply go to a chat room? It just astonishes me.

With that said, at first I hated the filter (currently using open chat now). Then it grew on me. Now, I think the game should just go to menu chat only, with the option of exchanging friend codes. It's just that ridiculous.

Whatever happen to just playing games together for fun? :?


I would get rid of the game for good, in that case, and I LOVE wizard101. One of the best things about this game is being able to chat with people. Not at all trying to be rude, but most likely unlike you, Allot of people have a BUNCH of friends on wizard101, and there would be NO way to contact them, without giving out personal information for a friend code, which you wouldn't be able to do with menu chat, AND it is against the wizard101 rules. That is the whole reason why they have an Ignore button, and a report button, and wizard101 tries as hard as they can to ban people for not being friendly to other wizards.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
I think Ki should ban offenders the first time there reported, they will run off and do other disturbing stuff if it takes more then one report to terminate one person.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2010
22
If Wizard101 would go to just to Menu chat, WW and TOTH would be near impossible. Your best bet is to ignore it and move on.