Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Sockets.

1
AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 10, 2010
92
I was wondering are the socket wrenches a one shot deal or are they reusable?

Pirate8375

Administrator
Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
894
There should be a reusable socket wrench that is available as a super-rare drop or purchased with crowns.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2011
25
i like to say that new socket updates are too bad for all. if it was in some limited levels i would say ok its good idea but to most player can use any socket is not too good on my view.

if its possible, i like to see those jewels has some limit levels to use only
example:
level 15 jewel should be able to use on between level 15 and level 20 or less wave.

those jewels shouldnt allowed in pvp. that is serious situation over there.

also some jewel does give spells that must be allowed by school only spells.

regards,
mainciye.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
35
having fought over 40 battles and no wrench....why are wrenches one time...why are they so rare a drop

PROBLEMS

they are very rare drops
takes a wrench to unlock one equipment but there are 4 different pieces of equipment
there are millions of wizards trying to get wrenches
unable to craft or buy a wrench
takes 5 different wrenches to unlock different levels of equipment
gems are rare drops

So why not keep gems rare but make wrenches always a drop from the different bosses!

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
613
Intrepidatius on May 4, 2015 wrote:
There should be a reusable socket wrench that is available as a super-rare drop or purchased with crowns.
Maybe there is, and it's just so super-rare that nobody's found it yet.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on May 4, 2015 wrote:
having fought over 40 battles and no wrench....why are wrenches one time...why are they so rare a drop

PROBLEMS

they are very rare drops
takes a wrench to unlock one equipment but there are 4 different pieces of equipment
there are millions of wizards trying to get wrenches
unable to craft or buy a wrench
takes 5 different wrenches to unlock different levels of equipment
gems are rare drops

So why not keep gems rare but make wrenches always a drop from the different bosses!
Wrenches aren't all that rare, they only drop from a few specific bosses. If you need a certain level one, you know exactly what boss you need to farm. They are also really cheap. You can also unlock a socket from free crowns from playing trivia, you get 100 per day.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
35
seethe42 on May 5, 2015 wrote:
Wrenches aren't all that rare, they only drop from a few specific bosses. If you need a certain level one, you know exactly what boss you need to farm. They are also really cheap. You can also unlock a socket from free crowns from playing trivia, you get 100 per day.
so you call over 40 times not rare!
wrenches are not cheap at this time you can not buy them except for random luck in a pack

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on May 13, 2015 wrote:
so you call over 40 times not rare!
wrenches are not cheap at this time you can not buy them except for random luck in a pack
You seem to be confused about what wrenches are. Wrenches unlock sockets of a certain rank. The alternative to using a wrench is to use crowns to unlock the sockets instead. The highest cost I have seen for that is 150 crowns to unlock all 4 sockets on Artisan level items. I would say that's cheap, it's 1.5 days worth of free trivia crowns.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
Jesse Lifebringer on May 4, 2015 wrote:
i like to say that new socket updates are too bad for all. if it was in some limited levels i would say ok its good idea but to most player can use any socket is not too good on my view.

if its possible, i like to see those jewels has some limit levels to use only
example:
level 15 jewel should be able to use on between level 15 and level 20 or less wave.

those jewels shouldnt allowed in pvp. that is serious situation over there.

also some jewel does give spells that must be allowed by school only spells.

regards,
mainciye.
Jewels already have level limitations.

Why should jewel use be disallowed in PvP? PvP is no different than PvE - jewels are usable by everyone so there's really no unequal advantage to be gained by anyone involved.

Some jewels do give off-schools spells - this is no different than using a TC or even a pet's spell card to accomplish the same thing.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
35
seethe42 on May 13, 2015 wrote:
You seem to be confused about what wrenches are. Wrenches unlock sockets of a certain rank. The alternative to using a wrench is to use crowns to unlock the sockets instead. The highest cost I have seen for that is 150 crowns to unlock all 4 sockets on Artisan level items. I would say that's cheap, it's 1.5 days worth of free trivia crowns.
i am not confused....I know how they work at this time and it is unreasonable

Some of us like to save crowns for the really hard quests. like dungeons that you have to alone (good to buy a henchman to help)

Why have wrenches at all if they are only good for one time on one piece of equipment

Why have wrenches that only unlock certain ranks...higher level wrenches should unlock anything less .

Guess the test environment did not clue Kingsisle onto the problems....because the drop rate on gems and
wrenches were so rare....and still are.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2011
25
well you saying that no difference but not thinking tc sots has limits and those gives more then what we can count on also at jewels most what i see is +? hit and resist not as percentage, but pierce on jewels are counts as percentage.

example:
+30 resist all
+15 school hit boost
%10 pierce school

so looking this example its already no fair between jewels. what i know so far those plus skills are only adding to total hit to that spell but percents works greatly, there is no balancing in that part.

pvp and pve is very different then each one nothing like same when you versus robot then real person so you cannot count that fair also.

because we can get defense or offense depends that situation. we are not "robot".

also one more thing it keeps stuck on my mind. if anyone knows answer i will happily read it.

I ask one of jewel user player that has 32 resist to all schools and had 76 jewel resist to storm school. i questioned him is that immune?, he said no. so what is the deal with those jewels resist?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on May 16, 2015 wrote:
i am not confused....I know how they work at this time and it is unreasonable

Some of us like to save crowns for the really hard quests. like dungeons that you have to alone (good to buy a henchman to help)

Why have wrenches at all if they are only good for one time on one piece of equipment

Why have wrenches that only unlock certain ranks...higher level wrenches should unlock anything less .

Guess the test environment did not clue Kingsisle onto the problems....because the drop rate on gems and
wrenches were so rare....and still are.
The reason I said you were confused is because you stated that you cannot buy them and can only get them by luck from packs. That is false. You don't need to buy wrenches, you just unlock sockets with a tiny crown purchase. Them being one time use makes perfect sense because they are extremely cheap items that have a permanent effect. The cost of permanently unlocking an item's sockets is less than the cost of a henchman that only helps in a single fight.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
35
seethe42 on May 17, 2015 wrote:
The reason I said you were confused is because you stated that you cannot buy them and can only get them by luck from packs. That is false. You don't need to buy wrenches, you just unlock sockets with a tiny crown purchase. Them being one time use makes perfect sense because they are extremely cheap items that have a permanent effect. The cost of permanently unlocking an item's sockets is less than the cost of a henchman that only helps in a single fight.
talk about being confused .. I say you can not buy wrenches and then you say that is false...that is being confused

And I guess that permanently unlocking an items socket will last forever...you are confused....progressing thru quests will gain better items and guess what...those sockets are going to be locked.

so back to original...wrenches should be permanent....because gem drops are rare
(why have rare on top of rare)

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
213
alerttalon on May 19, 2015 wrote:
talk about being confused .. I say you can not buy wrenches and then you say that is false...that is being confused

And I guess that permanently unlocking an items socket will last forever...you are confused....progressing thru quests will gain better items and guess what...those sockets are going to be locked.

so back to original...wrenches should be permanent....because gem drops are rare
(why have rare on top of rare)
Socket wrenches aren't the only way to unlock your sockets. There's also an option for using crowns to unlock ALL the sockets on a piece of gear when you're in the Jewel Affix/Shatter dialog box. Don't waste your crowns trying to get socket wrenches from a pack. Just use crowns to unlock the sockets directly.

Wolf Windrider
Keepin' it imaginary

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on May 19, 2015 wrote:
talk about being confused .. I say you can not buy wrenches and then you say that is false...that is being confused

And I guess that permanently unlocking an items socket will last forever...you are confused....progressing thru quests will gain better items and guess what...those sockets are going to be locked.

so back to original...wrenches should be permanent....because gem drops are rare
(why have rare on top of rare)
Jewels add very minor benefits. It costs barely anything to unlock them. Shattering them costs nothing and leaves the slot still unlocked. The whole idea of a permanent wrench that unlocks every socket of every item you ever get is just ridiculous.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
557
Wrenches exist because that is how you unlock gem slots. You earn wrenches by playing specific content for several hours, much like farming for pets or equipment. KI does give the option to pay for convenience. Instead of earning the wrench you may throw crowns at the locked socket instead. Rather nice of them, since their main goal is to keep a substantial player base, to have a gaming community that people will want to join. Without the population the game isn't massively multiplayer. They need thousands of players logged in for several hours each, every day to keep one another company. These people need goals in the game, before they are willing to login, let alone stay logged in long enough to play alongside other people and give them that satisfying multiplayer experience somewhat consistently.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
35
Errol Everhart on May 19, 2015 wrote:
Socket wrenches aren't the only way to unlock your sockets. There's also an option for using crowns to unlock ALL the sockets on a piece of gear when you're in the Jewel Affix/Shatter dialog box. Don't waste your crowns trying to get socket wrenches from a pack. Just use crowns to unlock the sockets directly.

Wolf Windrider
Keepin' it imaginary
just read all the post I did already know how to do sockets unlock

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
35
seethe42 on May 19, 2015 wrote:
Jewels add very minor benefits. It costs barely anything to unlock them. Shattering them costs nothing and leaves the slot still unlocked. The whole idea of a permanent wrench that unlocks every socket of every item you ever get is just ridiculous.
trying to change the subject ...when I caught your mistake??

Permanent wrenches are not ridiculous...other items are permanent ( pots for seeds, hats, robes, etc.)

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
213
alerttalon on May 21, 2015 wrote:
just read all the post I did already know how to do sockets unlock
I've read and understood all your previous posts, and I think other players who've also read them would agree that you now need to complete the following three steps:

1) Farm for socket wrenches and hope for the best, or
2) Earn crowns from watching videos and/or playing trivia, then
3) Use said crowns and socket wrenches to unlock sockets

If you play the game and follow the rules it's as easy as 1, 2, 3.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
alerttalon on May 21, 2015 wrote:
trying to change the subject ...when I caught your mistake??

Permanent wrenches are not ridiculous...other items are permanent ( pots for seeds, hats, robes, etc.)
I didn't change the subject and I don't know what mistake you perceive. What you are essentially asking for is to buy the ability to just skip the process of the game forever for any item you ever get. This would be like being able to buy a Pet Snack that never disappears no matter how many times you feed it to all your pets forever. A permanent wrench IS absolutely ridiculous.

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
154
I don't think a permanent wrench is ridiculous, or that having to farm for an item, farm for the jewel we want to put in it, then spend crowns or wait 5 to 10 more levels to be able to farm for a small chance of getting the wrench to unlock the sockets on one item makes a lot of sense.

I'm aware that we can earn crowns by viewing adverts, but that isn't how I want to spend game time. If that's going to be necessary to participate in activities like socketing, I'm going to find a new game.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
1124
Wow...
People are name calling and threatening to quit because of a feature that at best is going to offer minimal benefits. It's not like anything obtainable by the use of jewels is going to add up to any kind of substantial boosts to damage, resistance or accuracy... at least no more so than the rings, athames and gear that we already have. When you figure that most of the benefits offered are at a "flat" rate, not a percentage, at high levels it might as well be non-existent. So that Storm boss you're facing hits the high roll on a Wild Bolt and with your +40 resist jewel you only take 960 base damage instead of 1000. This is rarely going to be a game changer.
Another case of KI giving us a new feature, in this case a feature that some people had indirectly asked for, and they get criticized for it because it's not perfect. Well, here's a clue... it's NEVER going to be perfect. One person's satisfactory is another person's woefully inadequate. Give KI the benefit of the doubt and let them work out the kinks. It might not happen overnight and in some people's minds it will never get ironed out but they'll streamline it and I'm sure they will eventually come to a happy medium. Sometimes the best way to learn the flaws is through actual day to day usage by real players. If KI waited to release a feature until they thought it was perfect I'm sure the forum would be full of comments like "where is it, they promised us" and "why don't they just release the update now". The test realm is not the place to perfect an idea. But it does offer a chance to trial run the ideas that will eventually be in-game through usage by actual players. I don't know what the actual participation is in the test realm but maybe if more people tried it out there it would be easier for KI to assess how it's going to work in the beginning in-game build.
On wrenches - my first thought was that one and done was a bad deal but I've changed my mind. Sockets you open stay open forever so it works.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2010
9
Frost Wind on May 21, 2015 wrote:
I don't think a permanent wrench is ridiculous, or that having to farm for an item, farm for the jewel we want to put in it, then spend crowns or wait 5 to 10 more levels to be able to farm for a small chance of getting the wrench to unlock the sockets on one item makes a lot of sense.

I'm aware that we can earn crowns by viewing adverts, but that isn't how I want to spend game time. If that's going to be necessary to participate in activities like socketing, I'm going to find a new game.
I've played most of the MMO that have come and gone and many that still are out there, just saying.

Am I happy with the drop rate of wrenches - no not really. But, I have watched this game and played it for quite some time now and can say I like the way they keep it balanced. No one HAS to participate in the socket ability it is there if you want to use it. You don't HAVE to use crowns to unlock the sockets just don't use the sockets - simple.

The fact that someone else wants to use crowns to open sockets doesn't bother me since the gain is minimal on the jewels. A bit of damage here, a touch of accuracy there, maybe a smidge of resist. But when the dust settles if your gear is not good enough then a person just needs to go where the good gear drops and work at those bosses until the gear drops that makes a difference.

I do use jewels, when I get one I like, but I don't have a wrench. And I have a bunch of sockets that are not unlocked. I for one do NOT wrenches to be permanent. I don't like the one use idea much, but like the idea of a permanent wrench even less. If everything is given to me what is the point of my even playing? I play for the challenge of getting items no one can buy. To get better gear, to work on my strategy, to get better understanding of the combinations of spells that have the best advantage.

In the end, when you get to the highest level and get all the best gear from Darkmoor I don't really think any of the Jewels are gonna be a game changer or game breaker. And that is a good thing and that is why I will keep playing the game. Jewels are fun and add a touch of this or that but it is not really going to change anything all that much when all is said or done.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2010
35
seethe42 on May 21, 2015 wrote:
I didn't change the subject and I don't know what mistake you perceive. What you are essentially asking for is to buy the ability to just skip the process of the game forever for any item you ever get. This would be like being able to buy a Pet Snack that never disappears no matter how many times you feed it to all your pets forever. A permanent wrench IS absolutely ridiculous.
your mistake was....you said you could buy wrenches....that is the mistake

I am not looking to skip the "process" ...you seem to be stuck on buying.....

A permanent wrench is not ridiculous when gems are so rare to begin with!!!!!!!!

1