Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Scammers.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
398
This is a warning for everyone out there! Don't be like the person in the story!

I was just hanging around in the Commons doing nothing. Then comes out someone who's going around announcing if anyone wants crowns or a membership. I ignored them and just continued to be silent. I watched as they walked up to lets say, a not so experienced player. The player payed attention and fell for the scammers little trap. They said they would like the crowns. The scammer said to the player: Give me your account information, i'll link our accounts and transfer the crowns. Then you can do whatever you want. Apparently the scammers story was they're quitting the game and have many crowns and just want to share. I then decided to step in. I told the player falling for the scammers tricks that this guy is cheating you. He is just trying to steal your account. Taking into consideration they were a level 87. They've probably spent money on memberships. But guess what they said: It's alright. I believe that this player will give me crowns. I said, okay. But I warned you. Then they left. A little later while chatting with a few of my friends this level 1 walks up to me. They say: I should have listened. They stole my account. I didn't get the crowns.

Just something important to all players.

If someone says they'll give you a pack or two for a hatch or TC.
They aren't.

If someone says if you help me i'll give you a pack or two.
They aren't.

The story you just read is a bigger version of this. People like this are all over Wizard101. Don't even stop for one moment and think: Hey, maybe they aren't lying.
Don't take the bait. Like the player who lost their account.

No matter what. Don't believe anything like this. You could be risking your account which you have spent time and money on. And don't think anyone will gift you for some TC or help with a fight. You will just waste your time, which could be spent doing something better instead of falling for someones little tricks.

And never ever be the joker tricking innocent players.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1112
The bigger scams are: I'll pay for your membership if you help me quest, etc... , I'll give you crowns; for whatever the reason is or I'll upgrade your wizard and spell deck for you. But then that person need your account. Do not and I repeat, do not do it!! They won't. He/she just wants to steal your stuff and most likely you will not see your wizards again. Be save wizards and walk away from them.

Survivor
May 08, 2011
2
I might have to disagree with this part "If someone says they'll give you a pack or two for a hatch or TC. They aren't."
I have offered packs and even elucidates for a hatch a few times and gifted them as that is one of the few ways to get a good pet lately, its pretty hard to find good ppl willing to give a hatch for free, you can always ask friend but not always they have what you want.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
398
emilythorne22 on Feb 13, 2017 wrote:
I might have to disagree with this part "If someone says they'll give you a pack or two for a hatch or TC. They aren't."
I have offered packs and even elucidates for a hatch a few times and gifted them as that is one of the few ways to get a good pet lately, its pretty hard to find good ppl willing to give a hatch for free, you can always ask friend but not always they have what you want.
Alright. Maybe you do gift people for hatches and stuff. But the majority of people don't. That's what i'm trying to say.
While they are people who are truthful, the majority isn't.

Edit: You're only one person. Are there other players like you? Only a few I guess.
Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that you're being truthful when you say you do actually gift people for hatches.

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
124
Mirajane7887 on Feb 12, 2017 wrote:
This is a warning for everyone out there! Don't be like the person in the story!

I was just hanging around in the Commons doing nothing. Then comes out someone who's going around announcing if anyone wants crowns or a membership. I ignored them and just continued to be silent. I watched as they walked up to lets say, a not so experienced player. The player payed attention and fell for the scammers little trap. They said they would like the crowns. The scammer said to the player: Give me your account information, i'll link our accounts and transfer the crowns. Then you can do whatever you want. Apparently the scammers story was they're quitting the game and have many crowns and just want to share. I then decided to step in. I told the player falling for the scammers tricks that this guy is cheating you. He is just trying to steal your account. Taking into consideration they were a level 87. They've probably spent money on memberships. But guess what they said: It's alright. I believe that this player will give me crowns. I said, okay. But I warned you. Then they left. A little later while chatting with a few of my friends this level 1 walks up to me. They say: I should have listened. They stole my account. I didn't get the crowns.

Just something important to all players.

If someone says they'll give you a pack or two for a hatch or TC.
They aren't.

If someone says if you help me i'll give you a pack or two.
They aren't.

The story you just read is a bigger version of this. People like this are all over Wizard101. Don't even stop for one moment and think: Hey, maybe they aren't lying.
Don't take the bait. Like the player who lost their account.

No matter what. Don't believe anything like this. You could be risking your account which you have spent time and money on. And don't think anyone will gift you for some TC or help with a fight. You will just waste your time, which could be spent doing something better instead of falling for someones little tricks.

And never ever be the joker tricking innocent players.
WOW. Thank you for trying to warn the inexperienced wizards; I honestly don't know how some people can be so gullible, even after someone else stepping in and warning them.

There are times when someone will keep his/her word and gift you what he/she promised, like Emily stated, such as a pack or two; however, if someone has to ask for your account info to "transfer" crowns or items, that should be a big red flag. Report said person. No one is allowed to share or ask for personal information.

As for promising people packs in exchange for somone else's help, I have two things to say about this: I think it's sad that some players have to offer packs in exhange to get someone to help them, and I think it's sad that some people are only willing to help if they receive something in return. Nevertheless, thank for warning others.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
398
Also, one more thing I forgot to mention.

If you see someone going around saying: If you do this i'll give you this (You get what i'm saying right?) and see someone falling for it, WARN THEM NOT TO.

You could be saving someones time, money, their ACCOUNT.
It's really hard to make out if someone is actually lying or if someone is telling the truth and they will gift you if you help them. People just get curious if they're being truthful or not, that's when things mostly go downhill.

If its a friend of yours then chances are they will gift you. But don't expect it. No one wants a friendship getting cut because of something like this. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they wont gift you and they're lying, but just don't get over confident.

I hope no one takes what I said about friends gifting you for helping and all in the wrong way.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2014
12

I think you have a good point to make about the packs and stuff and I have gifted people pack for helping me, and quite frankly I don't require payment for helping someone or hatching with them,not my style, but the MAIN point is DON'T GIVE OUT YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION. KI talks about this a lot. It is very important for the very reason you told in your story. I just hope more people listen and learn.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
4
Seriously... . I bet it's very little kids who can't use a credit card ,and hoping that something you have to pay money for will come for free. Why would someone give away money to a stranger online? The only exception if it's like your dad ,mom , or someone really close to you in real life.

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
156
Good points, never EVER give anyone your account information! However, if someone claims they will gift you a pack or a tc for (insert item here) I'll do it. Hey, I could get something out of it. Even if I don't I'm helping someone out and it makes me feel good.

If anyone asks for your account or any personal information PLEASE REPORT THEM.

120
120
78

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
1005
Mirajane7887 on Feb 12, 2017 wrote:
This is a warning for everyone out there! Don't be like the person in the story!

I was just hanging around in the Commons doing nothing. Then comes out someone who's going around announcing if anyone wants crowns or a membership. I ignored them and just continued to be silent. I watched as they walked up to lets say, a not so experienced player. The player payed attention and fell for the scammers little trap. They said they would like the crowns. The scammer said to the player: Give me your account information, i'll link our accounts and transfer the crowns. Then you can do whatever you want. Apparently the scammers story was they're quitting the game and have many crowns and just want to share. I then decided to step in. I told the player falling for the scammers tricks that this guy is cheating you. He is just trying to steal your account. Taking into consideration they were a level 87. They've probably spent money on memberships. But guess what they said: It's alright. I believe that this player will give me crowns. I said, okay. But I warned you. Then they left. A little later while chatting with a few of my friends this level 1 walks up to me. They say: I should have listened. They stole my account. I didn't get the crowns.

Just something important to all players.

If someone says they'll give you a pack or two for a hatch or TC.
They aren't.

If someone says if you help me i'll give you a pack or two.
They aren't.

The story you just read is a bigger version of this. People like this are all over Wizard101. Don't even stop for one moment and think: Hey, maybe they aren't lying.
Don't take the bait. Like the player who lost their account.

No matter what. Don't believe anything like this. You could be risking your account which you have spent time and money on. And don't think anyone will gift you for some TC or help with a fight. You will just waste your time, which could be spent doing something better instead of falling for someones little tricks.

And never ever be the joker tricking innocent players.
1. Why didn't you report the scammer?
2. Why didn't you remind the naïve player of KI policy that sharing account information is cause for banning?

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
398
anecorbie on Feb 23, 2017 wrote:
1. Why didn't you report the scammer?
2. Why didn't you remind the naïve player of KI policy that sharing account information is cause for banning?
As a matter of fact, I did report the scammer. It's so obvious that I didn't include it in my original post.
And for your second question, It's common knowledge. They ported away. I didn't know that the person ACTUALLY fell for it.

Survivor
May 17, 2012
12
Yes, beware of scammers if anyone legitimately wants to give you crowns, membership, or any other gift, they don't need your information, they can friend you and purchase a "gift" for you from the crown shop, or they can purchase a gift for you and give you the "CODE". Anyone that wants your personal ID or PASSCODE is a SCAMMER. Don't believe anything they say if they want your information.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2008
3
I wanted to add my 2 cents, as an adult player.

Never ever ever give any account information or for that matter real life information. No exceptions, period. There is a clear line between losing account information and losing in game items, or in this case not being rewarded in game for gold spent. All transactions in game should be done with the friends option. You can friend someone and gift them most crown purchasable items without knowing any account information. You can't gift a membership so any membership offers are scams, just walk away.

So if someone is offering to gift you a crown pack or trade treasure cards I see this as a legitimate transaction. You might still get ripped off, but you won't be risking your account or privacy.

Defender
Jul 27, 2011
132
You can report people who ask for login information, that is officially against TOS. If they're offering a trade and don't follow through, that is more of a "buyer beware" situation. Something you could report perhaps, but maybe not taken as seriously as sharing information. Well anyway, this is why I like kids on menu chat, to keep their accounts safe, and when parents feel kids understand the importance of keeping an account safe, then they get text chat.

It's also likely the story you just told, the person coming back as a level 1 was just a show to get attention and he didn't really lose his account. Of course it probably did happen, but sometimes people make these things up for sympathy.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
398
Mello Lily on Mar 1, 2017 wrote:
You can report people who ask for login information, that is officially against TOS. If they're offering a trade and don't follow through, that is more of a "buyer beware" situation. Something you could report perhaps, but maybe not taken as seriously as sharing information. Well anyway, this is why I like kids on menu chat, to keep their accounts safe, and when parents feel kids understand the importance of keeping an account safe, then they get text chat.

It's also likely the story you just told, the person coming back as a level 1 was just a show to get attention and he didn't really lose his account. Of course it probably did happen, but sometimes people make these things up for sympathy.
It could be just for attention. But players need to take that one person as an example for what could happen if account information is shared with strangers.

Survivor
Feb 06, 2012
2
saw this last night some was going around saying they work for ki sense i muted for falling for a scam of a false email myself i could not report them so i wrote support an got sent here plz everyone ki has a badge that says they work for them if they dont have it on ask them to show it if they wont they are scaming an report fast just wish i had my report button back at least because i see it all the time