Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Rudeness

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 12, 2009
164
mightygirl1001 wrote:
goodt9 wrote:
GRANDMASTERS. Not all grandmasters but some acts like real jerks.
Like in arena battles some grandmasters were being rude to my friends and me. Like calling us “NOOBS" (that word should be taken out) and “Why don't you go back to your PRACTICE arena". I don't know why the act that way but in really getting on my nerves. Some of my friends even get so mad they stop playing. Sad right?


I can totally agree with you.Some (not all) of the Grandmasters I have met in the past have been rude to others (and me but its not about me ) They just finished the game so they have nothing better to do but go around making others feel bad about not finishing the game. If they think they're so great, than how come their attitude lacks experience? If they want to hang out in the commons than they should be helping people up not bringing them down.

Kaitlyn IceRiver
Journeyman Thaumaturge


I don't go around calling people names or making them feel bad when I have my Grands out. I have 8, nearly 9 Grands but I pretty much am minding my own business when I have them on. BUT what gets on my nerves is that people seem to think I am finished with the game so I HAVE TO help other people since I "have nothing else to do." Please don't assume I have nothing else to do just because I, or anyone else is a Grand. Yes, some do stand around in the commons chatting with others in their little groups, but many of us, especially when you see us out in other worlds and we are running around somewhere...we probably do have things we are doing. We might be headed somewhere to farm some items, or we might be looking for reagents.

There ARE things to do after one hits Grand, so DO NOT ASSUME we have nothing better to do than help you!

Also remember that a LOT of us did the game mostly on our own and we get really tired of people who don't even try to! Wehn I see people standing outside an instance waiting for people to help them and it's like a place in WC that I know I can solo with any type wizard I do not feel inclined to help because I feel like I did it on my own, so can you! Even when I had my first wizard, which was storm, and had really bad gear I did it all on my own. Yes, I died a few times with my low health, but I learned from it and got better. Everyone should try to do things a few times before they just start relying on everyone else. If you rely on others in game, I wonder if you are like that in real life. If you are like that IRL then you won't get too far, just like in this game.

Now if a single Grandmaster is standing around in the commons you can ask them for help but they have the right to say no, so don't be offended if they do. They might be waiting on something or someone. And, seriously, if you see a Grand spinning they are AFK and you might as well be talking to a wall! I can't tell you how many times I left a character of mine spinning to go change the laundry or do something and then to come back to see someone asked for help and because I didn't respond they got all hateful...that's not too bright in my book!

Some Grands will offer help, those are the ones you really should be looking for if you need it. The ones who call names are just very immature....ignore them, if they harass you then report them!

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
1309
I agree Oceandaydreamer.

I have 3 grands and working on a fourth. I also soloed much of the game. When i did get help, it was when someone happened to be doing the same quest. I met most of my in game friends like that.

Like Oceandaydreamer, I have never been rude to anyone just because i am a grandmaster and i have helped plenty of people.

If I see someone outside of an instance and I am not busy, I do ask if they need help, but i will ONLY help if they can enter that instance on their OWN. Just because I am a grandmaster doesn't mean I can do all the fighting for a lower level that decided that absolutely would die without a certain sword.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Defender
Mar 24, 2009
131
Version2 wrote:


I can very well relate to that, Autumn( Even though I am not a Mom).

You can't go a single day without seeing the words," HOT GIRL HERE," or,"ANYONE NEED A GIRL-FRIEND?" It is rather annoying.


Maybe KingsIsle will consider it(Hopefully).

~Version2

Yeah. People keep saying "I NEED A HOT DATE" for no good reason. Then even worse, you create a new character for your little cousin and some random person comes up and asks her out.
Not cool.
Gnreno3, The parties used to be really fun. I can see why your children want to go to them. But now, it's mostly fights at the parties and dates. The asking for personal stuff is an automatic report. The tearms of agreement clearly states that It is a reportable offence and should be dealt with immeditely.





Explorer
Nov 01, 2009
56


Kitties, kiddies, kids? Get it now? Um yes what i said getting the an education for the real world? pretty sure that was easy to figure out

Hmmm I never said that those were the facts of life... and that sentence made no sense, please explain what you meant, it sounds like you might've left a few words out of it. the second one doesn't apply because well i'm a kid.

When you say "Mate" you know what your implying right? And other than that adults do it too... eHarmony and all that

If they were all kids you'd be even more alarmed. And no opposite kid acting somewhat mature, and you callnig me pathectic is uncalled for and more or less some of the rudeness this thread is talking about.

</div>
</blockquote>

Her post made complete and perfect sense all the way through...reread it and and study more in your English class...maybe it will make more sense to you as well.

Secondly Wizard 101 is a game and NOT meant to be a dating service...that is the main complaint here. The parents are concerned for exposing their seven and eight year old children to this this dating-service atmosphere when they are expecting them to be involved in a safe environment.

Your argument that parents would be more concerned if the game was children only does not hold water. The main concern here is adult preditors of young children who have the real ability to gain access to children in the real world. If you don't think this happens, look on the back of your milk carton at school, look on the bulletin board at the grocery store, watch the news on any given night. See how many children go missing every year due to child preditors. Look online sometime to see how many child preditors live in your neighborhood. It happens all too frequently. That is what these parents are concerned for.

I am not a parent myself, though I am old enough to have grandchildren playing W101. However I can understand the concern. The very day that we made my husband's first wizard character, he and I were in the commons and he was going through his spell book. This girl ran up to him out of the blue and asked him to go out with her. I started laughing because he hadn't been in the commons for the first time for more than a minute when this happened. I myself was used to it becaused it happened to me on several occasions, but I thought it would be at least a little while before it happened to him. Anyway, since he was preoccupied with his spellbook he did not see the text message, so he asked me what I was laughing at. I told him the girl next to him wanted him to go out with her...he got very upset with it...more than I did really. He doesn't read or write very well and isn't very computer literate (we thought playing W101 would get him more comfortable with a computer and it has worked marvelously) so I answered for him, explaining to the young lady that the wizard she just asked out was my husband and he was not interested. She apologized profusely and ran away....I had thought about giving her a lecture about the dangers of approaching a stranger even in a so-called safe environment such as W101. That cute "young wizard" she sees before her could really be a middle-aged, balding, tobbacco-chewing, pot-bellied diesel mechanic, as was the case here, LOL. However, the young girl ( if that is what she was...could have been a middle-aged, balding...well you get the picture) ran away before I had the chance.

Historian
May 15, 2009
674
oceandaydreamer wrote:
mightygirl1001 wrote:
goodt9 wrote:
GRANDMASTERS. Not all grandmasters but some acts like real jerks.
Like in arena battles some grandmasters were being rude to my friends and me. Like calling us “NOOBS" (that word should be taken out) and “Why don't you go back to your PRACTICE arena". I don't know why the act that way but in really getting on my nerves. Some of my friends even get so mad they stop playing. Sad right?


I can totally agree with you.Some (not all) of the Grandmasters I have met in the past have been rude to others (and me but its not about me ) They just finished the game so they have nothing better to do but go around making others feel bad about not finishing the game. If they think they're so great, than how come their attitude lacks experience? If they want to hang out in the commons than they should be helping people up not bringing them down.

Kaitlyn IceRiver
Journeyman Thaumaturge


I don't go around calling people names or making them feel bad when I have my Grands out. I have 8, nearly 9 Grands but I pretty much am minding my own business when I have them on. BUT what gets on my nerves is that people seem to think I am finished with the game so I HAVE TO help other people since I "have nothing else to do." Please don't assume I have nothing else to do just because I, or anyone else is a Grand. Yes, some do stand around in the commons chatting with others in their little groups, but many of us, especially when you see us out in other worlds and we are running around somewhere...we probably do have things we are doing. We might be headed somewhere to farm some items, or we might be looking for reagents.

There ARE things to do after one hits Grand, so DO NOT ASSUME we have nothing better to do than help you!

Also remember that a LOT of us did the game mostly on our own and we get really tired of people who don't even try to! Wehn I see people standing outside an instance waiting for people to help them and it's like a place in WC that I know I can solo with any type wizard I do not feel inclined to help because I feel like I did it on my own, so can you! Even when I had my first wizard, which was storm, and had really bad gear I did it all on my own. Yes, I died a few times with my low health, but I learned from it and got better. Everyone should try to do things a few times before they just start relying on everyone else. If you rely on others in game, I wonder if you are like that in real life. If you are like that IRL then you won't get too far, just like in this game.

Now if a single Grandmaster is standing around in the commons you can ask them for help but they have the right to say no, so don't be offended if they do. They might be waiting on something or someone. And, seriously, if you see a Grand spinning they are AFK and you might as well be talking to a wall! I can't tell you how many times I left a character of mine spinning to go change the laundry or do something and then to come back to see someone asked for help and because I didn't respond they got all hateful...that's not too bright in my book!

Some Grands will offer help, those are the ones you really should be looking for if you need it. The ones who call names are just very immature....ignore them, if they harass you then report them!







i TOTALLY agree
i have a grand master ice student and cant tell you how many times i am begged to be helped by people JUST because i am one of the students with the highest hp in game
i mean COME ON health is NOT every you need skill as well as a decent health point amount
but i am constantly called a lose err or a bench or as ( makeshift curses)
JUST because i wont help them
and even in pvp there are those EVIL LITTLE opps um sorry lost my temper a second
those little poor sports
you beat them and they get all up in your face calling you a treasure noob and stuff

Defender
Apr 27, 2009
127
You are way overreacting. These are 10 year old children who make mistakes. If it really bothers you that much, dont play. Like you said, you arent the Mom, so dont worry about it. Let it go! And is really saying to someone's character who looks ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like real people a reason for hurt. I have trouble believing you are an adult. Get used to this behavior as there are millions of players or simply dont play.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2009
6
I get really annoyed by these conversations too. I probably overhear at least twenty people saying "I need a girl" or "Do youu want to be my Girl-Friend?"

Explorer
Oct 14, 2008
76
I agree with the moderator idea! I am certaint that making chat regular instead of scripted would help the game out alot! i have a brother that will not play the game because the game has scripted chatt . The reason is not so he can type rude things in but because he has to type and retype words in lol if they are not spelled correctly , or say words that are simple :) The moderators would be a very valuable asset to this game in many shapes and forms.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2010
18
i forgot to say somethings lol i am sorry i am forgetfull :P

while on i agree there is too much of this sure KI got some censors but i mean allot are still good and when i go to Wu for my secondary school spell or the world gate i always hear "Couples party at (insert tower name here)!
or the same with single and also i have no kids of my own but old enough to know the responsability and when i go into wolfminister abbey there of course is a group of people and OF COURSE a wedding act or what not and i am getting fed up with it!

Survivor
Mar 16, 2010
5
Tgrable wrote:
This is not a KI problem. This is a parenting problem, a people being over-sensitive problem, and a I'm looking for anything to complain about problem.

Number 1 you are getting upset at another player for expressing his opinion. He doesn't know what the player on the keyboard looks like, but he does know what his ingame character looks like... For all you know that players ingame character was ugly and for you to get upset over someones opinion over a few pixels on the screen is pretty laughable. Maybe it was a little insensitive, maybe it was a little mean, but do you really think thats anything diffrent than what kids face in real life? This happens at school,church,home,public.. between friends,strangers,siblings,enemies weekly and any kid who isn't sheltered staying at home hidden from the world has encountered it.

KI, should not need to deal with these things, they do because they are a decent company. I think too many people want KI to babysit and parent their kids while they play the game and thats not how this works. They have successfully made a kids game. It is almost impossible to be profane or trade personal information over this game. I personally think most of you just want things to complain about when you have silly arguments.

The only thing I think should be done in this game that is chat related.. is to make arena chat restricted to your team only.. thats it.


I tried and could not say it any better!

SkyeMist wrote:
If this is Wizards idea of using censorship to protect kids, then you are failing.


The internet is NOT a safe place, plain and simple. If you think that your young child can be sheltered from all "evil" while using the internet you are vastly misinformed.

Companies such as KI are only responsible for what they claim responsibility for. Wizard101 has a censorship of language. The word cute for example is not censored because someone might want to comment that they think another player’s pet is cute. It is not KI's responsibility to keep destructive players from misusing simple vocabulary such as "cute." The sole responsibility of not harassing another player is that of the "harasser." The responsibility of avoiding harassment to your young child by other free human beings is that of the parents. The internet is a tool to be used at your own discretion. KI has given Wizard101 the ability to communicate with others around the world. The risk of encountering harassment is a risk you willingly took and gave to your young child. KI holds no responsibility for evil, misguided people or for young, ill mannered and disruptive children taking advantage of the internet. KI is not the parent.


SkyeMist wrote:
I play the game to have fun, not to feel I have to watch out for other people's children. I think that should be KI's job, not mine.
Autumn


Once again, not your responsibility or KI's responsibility to parent the world.

If what you want is a fantasy world of gaming with no evil interactions then you need to remove yourself from any game that has world wide communications enabled.


The only fool proof way to keep all player's "safe" from harassment while playing Wizard101 is for KI to remove the communications feature from this game, completely.

And for some reason, I highly doubt anyone wants that.



~ .:. Esmee Silvercloud .:. ~

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
398
im not a parent. in fact, i still have a ways to go b4 i leave them.

i, too, am SICK of my inability to get to a good trading realm without...
"i need a boy/girl". heres my philosophy: anyone who tries to build a life in a virtual world doesnt have one in the real world.

as for the rudeness thing. not the case for everyone i know, but the people in w101 are NICER in general than the people in my real life.

w101: first day, first character. no idea how the combat works; what happens if you lose? do you die and have to restart? i said "someone help"
facing someone with an "undead xxxxxxxx" badge. out of the blue, some other completely random person comes up. "can i help you?"

real world: its a miracle if i go a whole school day without some jerk saying that im gay (im sooooo not, and call me that to my face and yours gets rearranged. just so you all know)

point made. you people are taking the tiny little fine exception and stretching it to look like the norm. that annoys me worse than people who discredit complaints without looking at them well. which annoys me a LOT. i mean seriously, they get exposed to this stuff sooner or later. über-kudos to ki for blocking swear words, thats just a given. but still. people are clever enough to get around it.

w101 is a game. games have rules, but too many restrictions are no fun. heres a parallel example: next time you play Connect 4, have a rule where the 4-in-a-row has to be vertical. its impossible. petitioning ki to ban all the routes around the blocks will just make:
a: it impossible to talk
b: a lot of people mad at you
in the end, its impossible.

Defender
Jun 04, 2009
154
SkyeMist wrote:
Ok, here is what I just saw happen On Krokotopia I saw a player ask "who is cute?" Another player answered "I am" and was told "No, you are ugly" That player then asked for help and the "ugly" player ran off

If this is kids kidding each other, they need to grow up If this is Wizards idea of using censorship to protect kids, then you are failing.

The canned messages are just annoying. I'd love to have friends of all ages and types. but canned messages mean nothing and they do not protect underagers from hurt. The better thing is to open up the messages and to tell kids this is not a dating pool You won't find a girl friend or a boy friend here and don't bother trying

Other than that, I as an adult, feel obligated to report a lot of players. I didn't join this game to do that.

Irritated and Frustrated I'm not the Mom and it's not my job to watch your children Get off your lazy butts and do your job yourself.

Disgruntled,

Autumn




People do these things just to make there own self feel better about them. If there was a beautiful wizard, and another player called her ugly, even though he/she thought she was beautiful, they want to make themself feel good.

Even though they might feel good, that wizard may feel missjudged, and sell all of her clothes, get off the computer, and delete that wizard!

So, to all of you out there: "DO NOT CALL OTHERS THINGS THAT WILL HURT THEM!" It's just wrong.

Hannah ragonsword, 39 FIRE

Survivor
Mar 04, 2010
7
Seriously you all just need to take a deep breath and RELAX. It's NOT that big of a deal. Yes, I've seen it, and I move on. If you're a parent and you're concerned because some cartoon person is calling someone ugly or is asking if anyone needs a girlfriend, you're in for a BIG surprise called the real world. Your kid is going to see and hear things a thousand times worse in public schools, so a heavily modded game like this should be the least of your concerns.

Explorer
May 04, 2009
62
I know all about this. I have a 6-year-old niece playing this and at least 20 guys have asked her out. Of course she said no. And she has been reported that many times, (20), by those guys. As a 21 year old uncle, I resent the fact that people even TRY to find a date in this, (unless the girl or boy had a relationship with that person in real life). I reported everyone that asked my niece on a date, and WILL continue to do so. I am not going to let anybody ask my niece such a disgusting question ever again.




Tanner Willowrunner, Level 45 pyromancer.

Administrator
Young Wizard,
We have in place the Parental Controls to allow parents to determine just how much chat is seen by our younger players. Most players under the age of 13 only have access to the Menu Chat, which is perfectly safe for everyone. The only way your 6 year old niece could see questionable chat is if she was given the 13+ Text Chat through the Parental Controls.

We put in place controls such as filtering out inappropriate text, having moderators in the world, in addition to getting a parents approval but the key to making a world safe is providing an engaging experience, giving the community the controls over their experience and parents educating children on how to use the "ignore", "report" and "exit" buttons on in the game.

All the safety nets in the world does not replace teaching a child what the risks are of online behaviors.

If you have questions about disabling the Text Chat, do let our support team know by emailing them at support@wizard101.com.

chrisbradley wrote:
I know all about this. I have a 6-year-old niece playing this and at least 20 guys have asked her out. Of course she said no. And she has been reported that many times, (20), by those guys. As a 21 year old uncle, I resent the fact that people even TRY to find a date in this, (unless the girl or boy had a relationship with that person in real life). I reported everyone that asked my niece on a date, and WILL continue to do so. I am not going to let anybody ask my niece such a disgusting question ever again.




Tanner Willowrunner, Level 45 pyromancer.


community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
70
As one of those very protective Moms, this time I'm going to disagree with the idea that the "parties" and "boy friend/girl friend" stuff is harmful.
In my opinion, and from what I've observed, it's almost always very innocent and much like playing house. I've even allowed a boy wizard to become one of my girl wizard's "boy friend" to see exactly what it entailed. The only personal information asked of me was "what grade are you in". After telling him I was "in college" (which is true, I've gone back to work on my Masters) he told me his grade in high school, and that was it.

Whenever he was on at the same time as I was, he'd always ask if I needed help with a quest, and ask for help with his quests. He'd introduce me to his friends as his "girl". Two weeks later he "dumped" me. LOL.

I realize that there will be some kids who ask more personal information. It's up to the parent to set the limits on what they want their child sharing, and then to keep the computer in a common area so they can monitor what their kids are doing.

The only thing I will allow my child to say is his grade, because if you've got (for example) an 8 year old who has become friends with a 12 year old, the 12 year old will wonder what is up with this kid acting so funny, or not playing quite as well, spelling things wrong, etc. Knowing the age of the player really isn't a big deal as long as they don't tell them the name of their school or other information that would make it so someone could figure out their exact location. That's just the way we handle it, though.

I sometimes share which state I'm from, because it's interesting to see who is from where, but my child is only allowed to say that we live "on the coast" and that could be any place.

If a child is worried about being an outcast for not being allowed to share personal info, then my advice would be to tell them to make it up!

Things I think should be reportable - asking for a phone number (with home phones it is possible to do a reverse look up and get someone's address) asking for the name of a school, and asking for a home address. These should result in an automatic and permanent ban.

A volunteer in-game monitor program would be helpful. Have people fill out online applications (just like a job application) and ask those who are approved to sign up for a 1 to 2 hour chunk of time at least once a week, sign in under an official KI name with the power to mute/temporarily ban as appropriate per a set of guidelines issued. If not enough qualified volunteers signed up for it, an incentive could be offering x amount of crowns for x amount of hours on duty per week or month, or a discount on member fees. Just an idea.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
36
exactly. and some people SO MEAN!

there are some friends help you out there! like a dude named Ryan Spiritblood. he will back you up! ;)


p.s. the username is my sisters name. she did get upset





lvl18/death

Explorer
Mar 19, 2010
65
SkyeMist wrote:
Ok, here is what I just saw happen On Krokotopia I saw a player ask "who is cute?" Another player answered "I am" and was told "No, you are ugly" That player then asked for help and the "ugly" player ran off

If this is kids kidding each other, they need to grow up If this is Wizards idea of using censorship to protect kids, then you are failing.

The canned messages are just annoying. I'd love to have friends of all ages and types. but canned messages mean nothing and they do not protect underagers from hurt. The better thing is to open up the messages and to tell kids this is not a dating pool You won't find a girl friend or a boy friend here and don't bother trying

Other than that, I as an adult, feel obligated to report a lot of players. I didn't join this game to do that.

Irritated and Frustrated I'm not the Mom and it's not my job to watch your children Get off your lazy butts and do your job yourself.

Disgruntled,

Autumn



Well quite honestly what do you suggest KI do about it? If they filter words and phrases to do with the subject people are just going to find a way around them. And saying language like lazy butts isn't really appropriate in a post trying to highlight rudeness. Nowhere in your post did you actually state what canned messages mean so i am clueless to that. You can complain about this yeah but really there isnt much of a way this sort of stuff can be stopped.
People are going to get exposed to bad language at very early stages of their lives. The majority of players on this game no those words, you can't hide words like that from kids forever. This stuff is bound to happen and you should just ignore them.

Mastermind
Jun 06, 2009
398
ki placing moderators in the game would be awesome. i have six characters all on different realms, and i have never seen once a kingsisle support person. never.

as for rudeness, it is awful. and people can respond with even more rudeness if you try to reason with them to not be rude. but it can work!

and when it comes to those "i need a boy/girl" people, well let's just say it takes a lot of willpower for me to not go up to them and yell that "THIS IS WIZARD101 NOT EH HARMONY!" it's very hard to not do. because asking for a partner in a game is SO ANNOYING!!! "i need a boy/girl", "who needs a guy/girl", etc. etc. ETC. here's my view: if you try to build a life in a virtual world, you have non in the real world. harsh i know, but that's just what i think on the matter.

Moderator
Every single player age 13+ is a moderator. We’ve given our players the ability to report inappropriate chat or behavior, and we encourage you to act responsibly and use this tool. Each and every report is read by a real person, and acted upon accordingly. Egregious or repeated violations of the Terms of Use will result in a permanent account ban and deletion of your characters.
False reports are also not tolerated, and can result in sanctions against the players making the false reports.
We put the power of moderation in the hands of our players; you can make a difference in Wizard101.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.