Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pets

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 14, 2010
I never really cared about training pets until recently and am now starting to train. since this is my first pet should i just hatch asap or train it to mega. i would think just to hatch right away since it is my first but i still want to know what the right move is. TY

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
spark127777 on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
I never really cared about training pets until recently and am now starting to train. since this is my first pet should i just hatch asap or train it to mega. i would think just to hatch right away since it is my first but i still want to know what the right move is. TY
Does hatching stop it from making any more progress?

Is there any way to train other than playing those mini games? I'm sorry but those...I can't play for long and I have so many pets to train!

I have fed some seedlings to pets and sometimes that helps but I will have to go through a lot of seedlings to get the pets to level up.

I wish we could feed pet snacks to pets from the book. If there is a way I don't know how. I wish we could choose which pet to feed each thing to instead of only feeding to the equipped pet.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
It really depends on the pet you are training. Most first generation pets have "selfish" talents that most players like to hatch out. If your pet has those, it's usually better to just train to adult and hatch with a pet that has desirable talents and stats.

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
With new pets, your best bet is usually to train only to adult so you can hatch, then hatch with someone who has a pet with the talents you want. Most "first generation" pets -- the ones you get as a reward or buy -- have pretty random talents, so it's usually not worth training them too high. You can hatch to improve, then train the babies further once you get more good talents in the pool.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Here's a typical process many follow when training pets:

1. Train pet up to Adult
- Along the way, feed all items in your backpack you don't want or need.

- Feeding items to pets can bring gold, treasure cards, regents; and sometimes brings them additional training points.
- Whenever possible feed pet mega snacks after completing training.

2. Hatch with another pet that has talents you like or want.
- This may result in you getting a pet that looks like yours; or the other pet (results are random).
- This will bring talents from both pets (its random, but anticipate your new pet receiving 5 talents from each pet).
- Hopefully you get more of the talents you want; and less of the ones you don't.

3. Train the new pet up to adult.
- If you like the pet with the talents it has received; continue training or stop.
- if you continue to train, remember to feed your pet all items in your backpack you don't want or need, and feed mega snacks whenever available after training pet.

4. Hatch your new pet with another pet that has talents you like or want.
- This may again result in you getting a pet that looks like yours; or the other pet.
- This will bring talents from both parents.
- Hopefully you get more of the talents you want; and less of the ones you don't.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you are satisfied with the pet and its talents.

Survivor
Sep 14, 2010
Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
spark127777 on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
in that case is anyone willing to hatch with me?
The Kingsisle forum is not well suited to arranging pet hatching meetups because the moderation means there is always a delay between you posting and anybody being able to see it, and another delay between somebody replying and you being able to see that.

If you have access to other websites I strongly recommend the wizard101 central website. Central has a section of their forums dedicated to arranging meetups for hatching pets (they call it "pet mixing" meetups). This forum is not moderated, so you will need to be able to deal with the occasional poster who is less friendly than what Kingsisle allows on their forums.

This is the url: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?102-Pet-Mixing-Meet-Ups

Please read the threads on meetup guidelines and ettiquette before attempting to setup an in-game meet. There are some very helpful people in this forum, your best way to thank them for their assistance is to be prepared as you can for your meet so you don't waste their time.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2011
SparkleTude on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
Does hatching stop it from making any more progress?

Is there any way to train other than playing those mini games? I'm sorry but those...I can't play for long and I have so many pets to train!

I have fed some seedlings to pets and sometimes that helps but I will have to go through a lot of seedlings to get the pets to level up.

I wish we could feed pet snacks to pets from the book. If there is a way I don't know how. I wish we could choose which pet to feed each thing to instead of only feeding to the equipped pet.
You've confused me. Seedlings? I've been away from the game for awhile, so has something happened while I was gone? I really don't know what you're talking about. If there is another way to help level pets, I'd really appreciate someone cluing me in because I have been extremely frustrated by the pet system lately.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Valkoor Skullhunte... on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
You've confused me. Seedlings? I've been away from the game for awhile, so has something happened while I was gone? I really don't know what you're talking about. If there is another way to help level pets, I'd really appreciate someone cluing me in because I have been extremely frustrated by the pet system lately.
I think he's just talking about feeding seeds to pets. They tend to be one item that gives them experience fairly often when feeding to pets.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Valkoor Skullhunte... on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
Plants? They start as seeds or seedlings.

I noticed I can feed the plant cards to pets directly from the inventory book.

I have tried to feed unwanted furniture or clothing to pets too but they didn't like it much (can't blame them.)

But they like the plants.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2011
Is anyone willing to hatch leaf foot with me?

91 Cassandra LifeBloom

Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
On my storm wizard I've been hatching for a while now, some of my pets did great while some failed here and there. My advice is to take things slow and look for a pet that you like, don't try to rush and get the most op pet someone has. Also try to ask your friend if they can help you with your pet, I've asked them plenty of times and they've helped me out in the long run.

Just keep calm and you will have yourself a great pet, even though it takes time you'll get there.

Elizabeth Icestone Level 70 Transcendent Diviner