Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Olympian Bundle?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Are there gonna be sudden pop up deals later on when discontinued bundles make a reappearance?

I just created a character named Alexander, a Conjurer, inspired by Alexander the Great.

The Olympian Mount and Style are the perfect match for him.

I'm willing to wait, and I'm willing to pay- but if it's honestly gone forever, I'm going to be genuinely upset.

Pardon me...I just don't understand why they would do that. Seem like a heartless marketing ploy really.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Call it a "heartless marketing ploy" if you want, but you really need to understand that this kind of thing is 100% acceptable, and while you think it it's unfair to not offer it all the time, it would be even more unfair to the people who were under the impression that it would be limited time (which is implied with all bundles because KI always retires them after about a year) because some people wanted exclusive, retired stuff anyway. This method of offering bundles is perfectly acceptable because it can be a display of a player's longevity and/or dedication to supporting the game (remember that when you pay real money, whether it's for membership or items, you're not just doing yourself a favor- you're also showing your appreciation to the devs by giving them money so they can continue to create content), sort of like when they used to do charity mounts at Christmas as a means of displaying a character's support of charity. Another way to look at it is that it's like exclusive pre-order bundles on games. If everyone got them, they'd be standard and not special at all, and while you may have wanted something from a pre-order bundle that you didn't buy, you kinda need to just suck it up, respect the fact that it's special, and move on.

Anyway, it looks like you haven't been around very long, so I'll tell you KI's workaround (even though it makes a lot of people unhappy)- bundle-a-palooza comes back around September every year and almost always lets players buy some of the more coveted bundles (like Epic). Additionally, throughout the year, Throwback Thursday promotions allow you to buy some of the items from retired bundles. However I wouldn't count on the gear coming back because I don't recall that ever happening. The Olympian Bundle showed up last year, so I'd count on it coming back this year too.

EDIT: wow lol just as I said that, today's Throwback Thursday was for Epic bunde gear. So there's the chance that Olympian bundle could show up too.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Starblood653 on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
Call it a "heartless marketing ploy" if you want, but you really need to understand that this kind of thing is 100% acceptable, and while you think it it's unfair to not offer it all the time, it would be even more unfair to the people who were under the impression that it would be limited time (which is implied with all bundles because KI always retires them after about a year) because some people wanted exclusive, retired stuff anyway. This method of offering bundles is perfectly acceptable because it can be a display of a player's longevity and/or dedication to supporting the game (remember that when you pay real money, whether it's for membership or items, you're not just doing yourself a favor- you're also showing your appreciation to the devs by giving them money so they can continue to create content), sort of like when they used to do charity mounts at Christmas as a means of displaying a character's support of charity. Another way to look at it is that it's like exclusive pre-order bundles on games. If everyone got them, they'd be standard and not special at all, and while you may have wanted something from a pre-order bundle that you didn't buy, you kinda need to just suck it up, respect the fact that it's special, and move on.

Anyway, it looks like you haven't been around very long, so I'll tell you KI's workaround (even though it makes a lot of people unhappy)- bundle-a-palooza comes back around September every year and almost always lets players buy some of the more coveted bundles (like Epic). Additionally, throughout the year, Throwback Thursday promotions allow you to buy some of the items from retired bundles. However I wouldn't count on the gear coming back because I don't recall that ever happening. The Olympian Bundle showed up last year, so I'd count on it coming back this year too.

EDIT: wow lol just as I said that, today's Throwback Thursday was for Epic bunde gear. So there's the chance that Olympian bundle could show up too.
I'm pretty sure since it's never explicitly stated that the bundle is a one time offer, and even limited time offers can make reappearances, most of what you said is...well, nevermind.

I actually utterly despise one time offers or giveaways myself, but yes, they are (unfortunately) commonplace and players do like to have things nobody else can have for whatever ego fueling reasons.

My oldest account is from 2011/12 anyway, and I've been playing on and off since pretty regularly, spending darn near a fortune overall.

Problem is because I can be indecisive about a variety of things I would end up creating other accounts because I didn't like my username, or even the month I registered in. One time I wanted an account just for my Necromancer so I created an account that was gonna be entirely themed around Halloween...in October, of course.

I went back and tried to get the accounts closed, but sadly that wasn't allowed. So I just started over- completely, with the goal of forgetting the other accounts even exist.

- but no, I've been around awhile, and I've supported the game plenty.

Meh. I'm looking forward to all Throwback Thursdays and now, I'm looking forward to the Bundle Palooza.

Thanks for answering my question, and sure enough, it was a marketing ploy to create artificial scarcity- when you've been playing MMOs (or really, being a consumer period) for as long as I have, you recognize the patterns.

No judgement, at least I'll have another opportunity later on...some MMOs are worse. Some of them actually have it be gone forever, thus whipping everyone into a frenzy because they know when they say "Buy now" they mean "Buy NOW"

Survivor
Feb 19, 2013
I think you can just fish the gear up from the Acropolis house.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
YaManTeka on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
I think you can just fish the gear up from the Acropolis house.
I believe this is just the basic, no-level-requirement set, but yeah fishing is also an option if you don't care about the stats. It takes a bit longer but it wouldn't cost you anything except time :P

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Starblood653 on Feb 26, 2016 wrote:
I believe this is just the basic, no-level-requirement set, but yeah fishing is also an option if you don't care about the stats. It takes a bit longer but it wouldn't cost you anything except time :P
I see. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends with the Acropolis house.

In addition, I'd actually like the Acropolis house itself...and the horse drawn chariot mount.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
I think I'm just gonna have my character be inspired by myself like I had originally planned.

Sticking too much to a theme is always so restricting...especially when the stuff you need isn't likely gonna be around until much later on in the year.

Hopefully it'll be back every year around that time, along with all the other retired bundles...

Back to Balance I go

Survivor
Feb 19, 2013
Uncle Sweeney on Feb 26, 2016 wrote:
I see. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends with the Acropolis house.

In addition, I'd actually like the Acropolis house itself...and the horse drawn chariot mount.
You can go on home tours to go to an Acropolis house. Also you can get the mount from fishing.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
I went Death last time I recreate or start anew, at least until I beat the game.

Any Necromancer bundles by the way?

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
YaManTeka on Feb 26, 2016 wrote:
You can go on home tours to go to an Acropolis house. Also you can get the mount from fishing.
Oh...wow!

I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone!

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Uncle Sweeney on Feb 27, 2016 wrote:
I went Death last time I recreate or start anew, at least until I beat the game.

*cough cough* are there any Necromancer bundles?

Sorry, I just feel like this question was mostly ignored, so...hehe, sorry...

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Uncle Sweeney on Mar 1, 2016 wrote:
*cough cough* are there any Necromancer bundles?

Sorry, I just feel like this question was mostly ignored, so...hehe, sorry...
That's because we don't know what a necromancer bundle is.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Starblood653 on Mar 1, 2016 wrote:
That's because we don't know what a necromancer bundle is.
A bundle that gives gear and a pet that give death spells.

For example, the olympian bundle is a myth bundle, because the gear and pet give myth spells.

The hive bundle is a life bundle, because the gear and pet give life spells.

I'm asking whether or not there is a bundle that gives gear and a pet that gives death spells

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Consider that all the items offered in bundles, and for that matter pretty much anything in the Crown Shop is non-physical inventory. "Retiring" anything is a matter of flipping a switch. It's not like once they're gone they're gone forever because they don't actually "exist" in the first place. I always chuckle a bit whenever I see the "available for a limited time" notification because it's all marketing strategy. I'm not saying that's a bad thing... KI is a for-profit business and that's the way things are done. I just find it funny that most of us look past the fact that there is no storeroom filled with merchandise with people running back and forth pulling items off of shelves. It's all digital inventory and unless there's a massive EMP and KI's system gets fried they'll never run out of anything. Many times I've seen former "last chance" items show up later as "for a limited time" sales and I'm certain it'll happen again.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Uncle Sweeney on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
A bundle that gives gear and a pet that give death spells.

For example, the olympian bundle is a myth bundle, because the gear and pet give myth spells.

The hive bundle is a life bundle, because the gear and pet give life spells.

I'm asking whether or not there is a bundle that gives gear and a pet that gives death spells
I think you would be better off doing some research on your own so you can find exactly what you want.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Gift_Cards#axzz41rE8wwb7

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
TucsonWizard on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
Consider that all the items offered in bundles, and for that matter pretty much anything in the Crown Shop is non-physical inventory. "Retiring" anything is a matter of flipping a switch. It's not like once they're gone they're gone forever because they don't actually "exist" in the first place. I always chuckle a bit whenever I see the "available for a limited time" notification because it's all marketing strategy. I'm not saying that's a bad thing... KI is a for-profit business and that's the way things are done. I just find it funny that most of us look past the fact that there is no storeroom filled with merchandise with people running back and forth pulling items off of shelves. It's all digital inventory and unless there's a massive EMP and KI's system gets fried they'll never run out of anything. Many times I've seen former "last chance" items show up later as "for a limited time" sales and I'm certain it'll happen again.
Artificial scarcity/marketing ploy, like I said

All MMOs do it. Some MMOs though...when they say it, they mean it.

They'll retire it and that'll be that. It's such an annoying practice. Infuriating even.

Same for events. They'll have it run once or maybe twice if you're lucky, then never again.

I am hopeful that Wizard101 (and Pirate101, because after I catch up on this game I'm going over and trying that one) never PERMANENTLY retire any content.

I left a variety of games because I got sick of that happening.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Starblood653 on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
I think you would be better off doing some research on your own so you can find exactly what you want.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:Gift_Cards#axzz41rE8wwb7
Thank you, that is helpful!

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Uncle Sweeney on Feb 27, 2016 wrote:

Looking back and reading this, I really fully appreciate how absolutely insane I am.

I'm literally right back where I started.