Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No Means No. So Why Argue?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 10, 2010
286
Please explain why some folks begging to be gifted won't take a simple no for an answer? I don't gift. Period! I've been burned a couple times early into playing the game and I turned that option off. I don't gift my own family, so why should I gift someone I really don't know; someone I met in game and became a virtual friend?

What got me on this particular soapbox was an incident that happened to one of my wizards yesterday. A "friend" asked if she would gift him a card pack. He was told that she didn't really have that many crowns and gifting was turned off because of a couple bad experiences with gifting. He ported to her and proceeded to look around her house. He then whispered to her and said she/I'd lied to him. He said I did have crowns because I had mounts. He was told that yes, there were a lot of mounts, but how did that mean I had a bunch of crowns? Shoot, I have 6 wizards on that account and have to share the wealth, you might say.

Why can't some people not be able to take the simple word "NO" for an answer and try to wheedle and beg or try to intimidate in order to be gifted? Personally, that behavior just makes me even more opposed to gifting that person!

Needless to say, he's now on ignore and will be off my friends' list very soon.


Hero
Sep 08, 2008
712
That is something that can never be helped. That is just how it is.

Defender
Nov 21, 2010
184
Some people will friend with you only to ask you for a gift.
I think gifting should be for family only.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
21
ssss55123 wrote:
Please explain why some folks begging to be gifted won't take a simple no for an answer? I don't gift. Period! I've been burned a couple times early into playing the game and I turned that option off. I don't gift my own family, so why should I gift someone I really don't know; someone I met in game and became a virtual friend?

What got me on this particular soapbox was an incident that happened to one of my wizards yesterday. A "friend" asked if she would gift him a card pack. He was told that she didn't really have that many crowns and gifting was turned off because of a couple bad experiences with gifting. He ported to her and proceeded to look around her house. He then whispered to her and said she/I'd lied to him. He said I did have crowns because I had mounts. He was told that yes, there were a lot of mounts, but how did that mean I had a bunch of crowns? Shoot, I have 6 wizards on that account and have to share the wealth, you might say.

Why can't some people not be able to take the simple word "NO" for an answer and try to wheedle and beg or try to intimidate in order to be gifted? Personally, that behavior just makes me even more opposed to gifting that person!

Needless to say, he's now on ignore and will be off my friends' list very soon.



Some of the youthful generation these days think they are entitled to everything, this does not surprise me. They should have what they want, and what you want, if you listen to them.. And hurry up times-a-wastin'!

Sorry to hear about your experience. Ignore has a useful purpose indeed.. :)


Delver
Aug 13, 2010
234
Haha, I know what you're saying. This kid was one of my PvP buddies and asked that I gift him a wand. I said no, then he started going in rampage mode, then he removed me.

Defender
May 17, 2011
179
sigh... everyone likes a present. that's fine if they ask you. it's not if they flame you.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
Unfortunately, this is (to quote someone on another board) the I-want-it-now generation, or the age of instant gratification. Most of these kids have never had to work for anything, and they act like everyone else owes them, which we totally don't.

One exception was on my Storm wiz, when one young fellow (he couldn't have been more than 7 or 8, based on his speech/behaviour) asked me for a gift~ I politely told him that my gifting is disabled (not a lie), and suggested that he ask his parents for money to buy Crowns; he said that they didn't approve of gaming, and that they wouldn't let him buy stuff~ believable enough, but I didn't play into it. So I simply suggested that, if he really wanted Crowns, buying them with his pocket money~ he was happy with that answer, and it never came up again.

Generally speaking, I go easy on young players. But, as soon as someone demands that I gift him/her, or rages when I tell him (or her) no, s/he is blocked and, if we're friends, deleted... without exception.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
1304
I've had 'friends' rage at me for not gifting them. One guy got really really nasty about it, and I couldn't delete him fast enough off my list.

I've only ever gifted two people since I started playing. One because we were questing together and had a great time. The other, very recently, because he's such a nice person and I really enjoy our chats and hanging out in the game.

I refuse to gift anyone who's running around begging in the Spiral. I'm a strong believer in earning your own rewards, by questing and building up gold coins to purchase mounts, houses, gear, treasure cards, etc.


Explorer
Aug 01, 2009
69
Agreed.

People can get quite rude when asking for a gift, and can quickly reply with vulgar language, or "who asked you!?" when you say that you will not gift them because they are a random person. (commons a lot)

I personally plan to gift one friend whom I met recently here who's been nothing but kind though and deserves the gift. He's taken me farming tons of times, quickly letting me amount my gold to be able to purchase both the death house and a black stallion mount in one day! A few hours actually.

People seem to feel very entitled and ask for gifts of insanely high price for a stranger. (asking for perm shark mount, what's that, $30?) and really think you're stupid and mean for not gifting the 'oh so entiled' them.

It's worse when they're just some random lvl 5-10 wearing gear bought with crowns and such. Very annoying.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2012
13
I've had WAY too many people ask me to gift them. I had bad ideas in the past, so I turned off my gifting. Anyways, I wouldn't gift some stranger a gift that comes from my money.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
288
Many times these are children asking and they usually don't understand that what they are asking is considered rude. When it happens to me, I just remove them from my friends list if they are on it, and then put them on the ignore list after I tell them that they are being removed and ignored for asking for something that cost me money. If it is just some random player asking, just put them on ignore.

If you buy crowns, I suggest you try finding some other players who buy crowns as well to play with. you usually won't get pestered as much.

I have only gifted one person, and they are one of the nicest people I have played with in this game. They never asked for anything, so it was an unsolicited gift, to me, that is how it should be.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
502
I keep my gifting turned off for this reason.

I can see why people like being gifted, as it is a nice surprise, but it's not something you should beg for.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1357
Its the commons, what did ya expect? Noobs runnin wild <3

Survivor
May 26, 2010
12
SantaIceBurg on Aug 8, 2012 wrote:
Haha, I know what you're saying. This kid was one of my PvP buddies and asked that I gift him a wand. I said no, then he started going in rampage mode, then he removed me.
A similar incident happened on my account. Some kid kept pestering me to gift him, and frankly, I don't even know what gifting is! So I say no to the kid and then his buddy goes, Ugh! Women!
My opinion is that you shouldn't be walking around asking strangers to gift you, similar to real-life. You wouldn't go up to some guy on the street an say: Hey, can you buy me a present? Also, The fact that this person assumed you have crowns just because you have a mount is wrong. Crowns are used to buy things, obviously. If you have lots of mounts it more likely means that you don't have any crowns, because you've spent them on all your mounts. Way to go ignoring him! He shouldn't be asking for gifts from someone he doesn't know. Sincerely,
Scarlet Darkshard

Survivor
May 26, 2010
12
Rony The Turtle on Oct 17, 2012 wrote:
Its the commons, what did ya expect? Noobs runnin wild <3
I posted on this subject before, but may I give a word of advice? Stay away from the commons! In the spiral, The commons are like New york. No offense to any players from new york. I think that if you don't want to be pestered about gifting, It is best to steer clear of the commons. Hope this helps.

Defender
Jan 09, 2011
124
I hate the beggers! they stand in the commons and beg you and hound you for gifts usually packs. I have been ripped off so many times because some noobs stand around saying " 4 rank 8 treasure cards for one pack " Lesson learned don't gift someone unless you know them outside of the game. I have a plan to gift my friend that i no outside of the game some packs

Defender
Aug 07, 2011
116
Meh, you went easy on him. I would have all been yeah, your point? They're my mounts bought with my crowns. I worked 36 years to earn the two pensions I live off and what I do with my money is my business. I'm not going to go around giving it all away, especially not to anyone rude enough to demand I do. I'm going to laugh in their face, send them away and drop them from the friend list to the ignore list. That's just rude and obvious he only likes you because you have crowns and he's hoping you'll float some of them his way. No one needs friends like that. You have better friends than that and don't need him.

Defender
Nov 05, 2011
127
I agree with shiningfantasia that this cannot change but I have some tips to avoid this happening:

- Stay away from the Commons. Many people hang around it when bored
- Don't listen to silly excuses. Such as "My cat just died" or "I am ill" - it's a game, not a help centre.
- If you still get annoyed by people begging for gifts, just turn it off and just say "I don't have gifting"
- If you do want to gift your friend, make sure they are OK with it rather than giving them something they would never use (E.G a mount if they have no where to go)

Once, I met a person who had no membership, no crowns and begged me for a mount. Then I just said "Where are you going then?" and then everyone around me just said "Pwned" to the non-membership player

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
39
dogmom55 on Aug 6, 2012 wrote:
Please explain why some folks begging to be gifted won't take a simple no for an answer? I don't gift. Period! I've been burned a couple times early into playing the game and I turned that option off. I don't gift my own family, so why should I gift someone I really don't know; someone I met in game and became a virtual friend?

What got me on this particular soapbox was an incident that happened to one of my wizards yesterday. A "friend" asked if she would gift him a card pack. He was told that she didn't really have that many crowns and gifting was turned off because of a couple bad experiences with gifting. He ported to her and proceeded to look around her house. He then whispered to her and said she/I'd lied to him. He said I did have crowns because I had mounts. He was told that yes, there were a lot of mounts, but how did that mean I had a bunch of crowns? Shoot, I have 6 wizards on that account and have to share the wealth, you might say.

Why can't some people not be able to take the simple word "NO" for an answer and try to wheedle and beg or try to intimidate in order to be gifted? Personally, that behavior just makes me even more opposed to gifting that person!

Needless to say, he's now on ignore and will be off my friends' list very soon.

I know right! i have been in the commons and gotten whispers and people just walking up to me and asking even people just standing there spamming the sentence, can somebody please gift me something! its oboxious!

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
860
laulenak on Aug 9, 2012 wrote:
sigh... everyone likes a present. that's fine if they ask you. it's not if they flame you.
Yes, everyone likes a present...but begging like 100+ times to be gifted and going beserk for a gift is..okay? Yeah...

Mastermind
May 13, 2011
381
i gifted sometimes (friend even got nightmare mount from it) but sometimes im like "its my crowns, i do whatever i want with them"