Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My son is crying and so is my pocket book

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
I completely agree with you. The mounts (all of them) are too expensive. They need to drop both the gold and crown fees by half, at the very least.

I also feel that wizards on the same account should be able to share housing. If I pay real money for a school house that my child has been begging me to get him for months, more than one wizard should be allowed to live in it! Why not allow them to trade houses?

KI, please remember, this is a bad economy, give your loyal customers a break.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
I agree that the crown price is a bit high, but I think the gold price should stay the same; I know that I'v taken it as a personal challenge to amass enough gold to buy the Balance house (100,000 gold, yeesh).

Survivor
Aug 30, 2008
it is a little overpriced but if you only have one wizard isnt that bad but i will admit i spend 2 weeks getting 50k gold for only ONE magic broom thing abd it was the worst one i could have worked for a month and baught a school house and i would be lots happier and the percentage of crown items being dropped or ANY mounts at all is extremely small i faught some gobbler guy all day to get the heartsteel dagger for my lower lvls must have faught about 100 times and still nothing

Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
I dont mean to whine but really things ARE overpriced. I payed more for my wings than for a one month subscription. AND THE WINGS WERE ON SALE.
If you want a free mount not to be left behind, buy one from zeke for the day ;D

Neela Wyrm lvl 30 magus Oni Slayer

Alura Soultamer lvl 6 Apprentice

Survivor
May 07, 2009
Hello, I am a Necromancer on Wizard101, and I have read most of the messages on this topic and I have a suggestion.

1. Get three of your friends on Wizard101 (Grandmasters can get you through this process the fastest).

2. Go in any dungeon (I recommend either Sunken City or Katzenstein's Lab).

3. Do the dungeon as usual (don't be afraid to mark spots so you don't have to start the dungeon over).

4. After you finish the quests in the dungeon and have killed any remaining bosses, kill everything else in the dungeon. (You will get more XP and gold by doing so; the longer you stay in battle, the more rewards you receive).

5. You will get THOUSANDS of gold at a time by the time you sell all the extra drops you don't need.

6. Repeat for unlimited gold.

Sincerely,

Cass Foestrider

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Hello Wizards!

I did not really read every single reply to this post. But after reading about half of the replies on page 1, I was just ITCHING to put in my thoughts.

I won't by cynical to anyone complaining or "commenting" on overpriced items. Nor will I be any cynical to those that responded rather "harshly."

In any game, luxury items such as mounts, fancy transportation, and or other powerful items are always overpriced. For a reason. For KingsIsle, it has become the same basic concept, it seems like. Which works fine for me.

While you can "cheat" the honest work ethic and just buy crowns, I agree with everyone that had already said that one does not *have* to buy crowns.

I completely understand that when one looks at another player parading around with a dragon mount or with a set of glittery wings, that person will most likely want them too.

Now, when that player is unable to attain them, either because of monetary issues or something else, that player will simply have to realize that this is how it works. Just like in real life, if you cannot afford something, you simply cannot buy it. (We not talking about loans or payment plans here, lol.)

That is simply how it works. If you subscribe and play, you have to realize that it is *simply how it works*. It is wholly possible to make money by grinding/boss fights, and many replies have stated that already.

Survivor
May 14, 2009
I do not wish to take sides in this subject, I only wish to offer my thoughts.
first of all, Kings Isle is actually teaching a valubale lesson: a penny saved is a penny earned. In real life, when someone wants a car, they can't simply buy the money to get it they must work to get it.
Secondly, if you farm some of the creatures and bosses in MB, MS, and DS, you can receive a surprising amount of gold, and I did, over 100,000 gold pieces without spending a dollar.

I sincerely hope i have helped to bring logic and common sens into the subject at hand

Good day!

Survivor
Feb 22, 2009
Mounts are kinda worthless all they are usefull for is running past clockwork golems in mb that all! And sorry i could not make it on monday ill meet at Saturday 11 April 2010 commons sunbird

Survivor
Mar 11, 2010
Then, perhaps, just perhaps, you shouldn't get a mount.
It's a radical concept I know but you CAN live without one.
And if your son is "crying hysterically" about such a pointless matter, maybe it's time he got out a bit more.
Just saying...

fiennesite wrote:
The recent additions in the mounts and other various features are extremely over priced. We have a family of four on here and pay a substantial monthly fee to play already. The very thought that buying mounts for our family would roughly cost the equivalent of nearly a YEAR's SUBSCRIPTION TO THE GAME!!!!***&&%%% is ridiculous. My son is crying hysterically in his room because this is going to take him two months of allowance to save for or at the very least four months of game play without buying a single item for gold.

Just like the whole crafting debacle...Kings Isle has got it wrong AGAIN!!

With competition like Free Realms with better graphics and more features...I don't know how long will I feel like paying for a game with no consideration for its paying patrons and no additional benefits.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
There is a simple solution to this: let the kid do some chores and give him an allowance (however small it is) and let him pay for the mount. Paying for the subscription is fine, but the kids need to start buying their own things in the game. Just a thought!

Defender
Dec 28, 2009
Wow. Just wow. Your son is crying because he can't have a mount? What about in-game money?! Just save up on that and within no time at all you'll be riding. As numerous other people have said, this is not necessary for the game, this is simply for fun.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
I can see it from all directions. . . the mounts and such thing are expensive, but they are also not necessary.

It is like anything else you can buy. . . there are always things you want but can't afford. This is just one case. Better that these lessons are learned now, over a simple game, than later when the kids what the most expensive car because everyone else has one.

I also think that kids need to understand that there are adults playing this game, too, and adults have more expendable cash to spend.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2009
MikeStrath wrote:
purdueman71 wrote:
ARE YOU ****ING CRAZY?! YOU ONLY GET ABOUT 15 GOLD FROM EACH QUEST AND THE SAME AMOUNT AT A CHEST! it will take someone YEARS to get that much gold by relying on quests and chests. when you go to sell your items most you only get maybe 20-40 gold for. once again it will take years to get the amount of gold it takes to buy a mount.

You must still be in the first few quests of the game. As your wizard gains more knowledge and skill, you will move on to greater challenges with increased reward. I cashed in on one quest yesterday (Tree of Life in Moo Shu) and got over five thousand coins in reward coins, items that I sold, chests and reagents. This took about an hour. That works out to twenty in game play hours to reach 100,000 coins.
ok some facts
1.OK, seriusly you have to be a reaaaaaaaly high leval to do the quests in mooshu (LvL 30 I think) and I saw a lLvl 5 wearing the overlord set HOLY $@%*! I mean he would kill at the areana

2. mounts cost a ton of money (coins or crowns for $) I mean COME ON! 50$ or 2 mounths (for the avrage person) playing wow I mean whos ganna do do that (even I don't have time for that!) (oh and all you people saying thats not realy long me and all the other kids playing havent had a very long life so a year is like 1/6-1/10 of our lives! )

3. what KI should dois make some speical bonus areas (with alot of gold) that you canget witha subscription or A lot of crowns then do this you get half the bad guys health as gold and bosses give out the same way exept for they give crowns. 8) they should still sell crowns but in realy high amounts so that if your willing to pay for them you can get a lot of crowns fast. 8) 8)

4.the prices on some of the stuff is insane! I mean come on it costs about as much for 4 houses if you want a good mount. I mean come on realy!?

5. hanamana said this (Like a poster above me, I just read two pages and skipped on to back here. Be grateful you can buy any mounts or housing for gold! Gold holds no real world value unless you are one of those players that buys crowns and exchanges for gold. That said, I understand you cannot buy the new mounts(wings) for gold at all. I didn't agree with that but then I finished reading what KI posted and noticed that high level bosses DROP them! There is no need to buy crowns, cry like toddlers or come here and complain. Simply start farming a high level boss. Easy to do with friends and can actually be fun and earn you a lot of gold! The same goes for the holiday items. Jade Oni just dropped the recent crowns pet just the other day for me.) A lot of us can't justgo and defeat high LvL bosses were still on krock or grizzle! I meancome on realy you saying that evreyone can go to mushoo and battle the jade oni! the truth is a lot of us can't

Survivor
Mar 08, 2010
PEOPLE! most of you keep complaining how long it'll take for you to farm the, but how can you not commit yourself to farming when you can get up every day and go to work, basicly it's the same concept, either your going to work for a week to earn live money for crowns or your spending a week earning gold at the same rate, so you could stay there complaining about this or you could do something active about your situation! :x

Defender
May 29, 2009

ok, some more facts:

1. Yes, you have to be a certain level to do some quests. So go level up! Nothing stopping you from doing that and you don't need a single crown item to do it. Who cares what other people are wearing? They either spent the time in game or out of game earning gold or real money to get it. You should do the same.

2. So don't buy a mount if you can't afford it. Seriously, if you don't have the money, don't buy it.

3. They already have these areas. They are bosses that you can farm at higher levels. Refer to fact #1

4. Yes, that is the cost of these luxury items -- items not necessary for the game. Luxury items, by definition, are expensive.

5. Everyone can go to Mooshu or Dragonspyre or Grizzleheim. But you need to level up to do it. There is nothing stopping you from doing that.

If there are things you want, you will have to put either time or money (and sometimes both) into it. That's how the world (real or virtual) works.

wolfuzumaki wrote:
ok some facts
1.OK, seriusly you have to be a reaaaaaaaly high leval to do the quests in mooshu (LvL 30 I think) and I saw a lLvl 5 wearing the overlord set HOLY $@%*! I mean he would kill at the areana

2. mounts cost a ton of money (coins or crowns for $) I mean COME ON! 50$ or 2 mounths (for the avrage person) playing wow I mean whos ganna do do that (even I don't have time for that!) (oh and all you people saying thats not realy long me and all the other kids playing havent had a very long life so a year is like 1/6-1/10 of our lives! )

3. what KI should dois make some speical bonus areas (with alot of gold) that you canget witha subscription or A lot of crowns then do this you get half the bad guys health as gold and bosses give out the same way exept for they give crowns. 8) they should still sell crowns but in realy high amounts so that if your willing to pay for them you can get a lot of crowns fast. 8) 8)

4.the prices on some of the stuff is insane! I mean come on it costs about as much for 4 houses if you want a good mount. I mean come on realy!?

5. hanamana said this (Like a poster above me, I just read two pages and skipped on to back here. Be grateful you can buy any mounts or housing for gold! Gold holds no real world value unless you are one of those players that buys crowns and exchanges for gold. That said, I understand you cannot buy the new mounts(wings) for gold at all. I didn't agree with that but then I finished reading what KI posted and noticed that high level bosses DROP them! There is no need to buy crowns, cry like toddlers or come here and complain. Simply start farming a high level boss. Easy to do with friends and can actually be fun and earn you a lot of gold! The same goes for the holiday items. Jade Oni just dropped the recent crowns pet just the other day for me.) A lot of us can't justgo and defeat high LvL bosses were still on krock or grizzle! I meancome on realy you saying that evreyone can go to mushoo and battle the jade oni! the truth is a lot of us can't

Survivor
Nov 26, 2009
well it's quite obvious that you spoil your child! If he's making such a big deal about it like crying in his room, then be a parent an teach him the most important life lesson of all "life's not fair"

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Survivor
Apr 28, 2010
I am a subscriber. I like having full access to the game, and I have no problem with paying $9.99 a month to play and support one game that I enjoy. As opposed to spending $30-50 every week or two on new games that I beat and then have to go buy another one. MMO's can be surprisingly economical that way.

Anyway, gold is easy to come by, given time. It just takes patience, as do most measures of success in MMO's.

As far as fancy Crown items go, I bought one large batch of Crowns (again, supporting the company) and have been rationing them. My main wizard has only three Crown items: a pony (cheapest permanent mount AND I bought it on sale), a Magma Spider pet from WC (practical, adds HP and mana) and his school's house (Ice). Everything else he has, he bought with gold. My alt wizard will be the same way; he only has a pony mount, and will get his house later. Crowns are fun, but not necessary. For equipment, I do just fine saving my gold and visiting the bazaar every five levels.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
dazzlemejamie wrote:
sgeier wrote:
OK, just so there's not a completely skewed picture out there:

I, for one, find absolutely nothing whatsoever objectionable to the new updates.

Everything that worked before, still works. Noting was removed. If you paid for a subscription, you're still getting every last bit of what you got before the update.

Period.

Who are these people telling us how the mount prices are "unfair"? You don't have to get one. It does not make the game play an iota better or easier . It's pretty eye candy that you can now buy IF YOU WANT in addition to everything you got before. That's all. You make as much gold in-game as the next guy - how is it 'unfair' that he's saving his for a mount where you're frittering yours away?

That said: I've been playing this game since August with my son. Less than three months. In that time, I have received hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of gold, simply by normal game play. You get gold for every quest. You get gold for every battle. You get gold when you sell the items that you got in battle. You get gold for selling reagents you picked up that are available free all over the place. You get gold for wooden chests. You can even try your hand at crafting and selling crafted items. I have now the three most expensive houses one can buy (the large ones from MB, MS and DS) and was pondering posting to these boards asking why there is a limit of three. I have the finest outfit gold can buy at the bazaar. What on earth are you people frittering your gold away on?

Maybe some people need to learn that you either spend your money now, this moment, on the thing you want this second - or you save it for something bigger, better, later. And for those who aren't quite mature enough to learn this, KI even allows you to cheat by getting things completely undeserved by buying-in from the outside with crowns. How much more could they do?

Maybe next time you hit a multiple-of-five level you shouldn't run immediately to the Bazaar and get that shiny new wand (that'll get thrown out immediately when you get to the next multiple-of-five, of course). Maybe you should just hang on to that coat, even though there's one that gives you one percent more defense strength. Maybe if you actually wanted these large items (houses, mounts) you'd simply save for them. Maybe. There's a lot of gold flowing through your hands. It's up to you where it goes.

I'm very happy for you that you got all this money in a quick amount of time, HOWEVER, it is easily said than done. Yes quests give gold coins but what...190? 200? These mounts cost 56,000+ .
It does change your game play. Say a kid couldn't keep up with his friends because they were whisking away on their mounts and he was left running? He begs his parents for money since he can't afford it. If the parent says no it just makes the parent seem mean and the kid is left being the one that fell off the bandwagon.
It would make more sense if they were 20,000 not 30,000 more.
This is not a house. You ride it. You don't live in it. It just makes you run around 40% faster.
That is why it should not be more expensive than a mansion.
It beats the MB mansion by a good 6K.

I agree you don't have to have it.. but try to be a 9 year old kid who isn't up to par with the games latest technology.

well i am that 9/10 year old kid and i really wish that my subscription was just crowns :( i would like to know the answer to my problem prof greyrose help me

Explorer
Mar 30, 2010
i know it's WAAAAAYYYYY overpriced but just get over it!
I bought wings but i wish i hadn't! Yeah they make you faster but buy a wand instead of a mount. The wands are awesome!!!!!

Matthew FireRider

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
I just read a lot of this thread... and I have to say these things:

If you're complaining about how everything is so darn expensive, just hush up! If you don't push the boundries of your wallet to pay, then go ahead, buy it! But if you DO, then DON'T! Besides, that's for only about 24 hours. That's one day. Really, who will play for 24 hours straight?

If you're complaining about having to pay so much for somthing that you don't need, and I get along fine without, then stop being selfish! Either earn a few more bucks, or stop complaining that it's so expensive!

Incase you've forgotten, KingsIsle has employees too! These employees need to be paid! Then, they also need to pay for the website, and whatever they need to keep the game running! If you do not pay much for anything, then there is a chance that KingsIsle might go out of business because they can't keep up with thier funds, and that means NO MORE WIZARD101!

So please, either deal with the prices, or stop complaining!

P.S. To you kids who are pooling money and saving up allowance, do a few extra jobs around the house, Maybe you'll earn a bit more cash.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2009
i just wonder why on earth the mounts cost more then the school houses with crowns by 5000 crowns and yet they are cheaper then the houses with gold by 10000, its just not logical. and its easy to save up gold just do it when your a grand so you have nothing better to buy cause you have to win all your stuff

Survivor
Jul 30, 2009
Funnyweather wrote:
I was quite surprised at how high the prices were for the permanent mounts. Luckily my oldest wizard had enough gold to buy a broom that she has generously kept stored in the shared bank so my other wizards can borrow it.

As a subscriber I am a bit bummed that I won't be enjoying any of the other nice crown benefits though. I would have loved to use the new stitch feature or try out a henchman but I refuse to pay extra money for it. I also refuse to pay money to get that MB car that I've been wanting on my estate since the first time I landed in Marleybone. I'm almost 40 years old and I've learnt you can't have everything you want in life. But children don't have 40 years of experience behind them. They don't realize how much things cost and when parents deny them something that their friends are able to get it hurts. Kids want to be like everyone else.

I think mounts should cost a big chunk of gold. But the current price is a bit high and almost seem geared towards forcing players to invest real money and buy it with crowns instead. I also think that subscribers should get a little bit of crowns every month so that they have the opportunity to save up for all the features available. Otherwise what is the benefit of being a subscriber at all?

Wow i totally agree subscirbers should get a little bit of crowns for subscribing all subscribing does is bring you too places and they want crowns for every thing else a subscrpsion for a year is 120$ way too much plus they want crowns o wow so ya what is the benefit of being a subscriber at all??? If you cant even buy anything will your subscription....

Survivor
May 22, 2008
50,000 gold does not take long to get (you will make much more than that as you level), and once you have a mount you can pass it between all of your characters... so I don't see how the price is unreasonable.

You also don't -need- a mount. You can just walk places and make good use of the marking system.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
I'm Charles Stormrider level 50 storm wizard and here is my humble opinion which i highly regard.

Ok, i bought the year subscription at 60 bucks which was a REALLY good deal. I'm really grateful that KI did that.

I have not bought one item with crowns. None. I don't buy crowns. Do I have mounts? yeah and i have a lot.

I bought a chestnut pony, broom, and lion mount WITH GOLD! GOLD! YOU HEARD ME! I SAID GOLD!
I also have a MS Imperial Palace which was like 40,000.

So I don't really see crowns as necessary at all. I guess i just don't mind working my tail off and actually saving up gold instead of buying out the WC bazaar...