Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is there any point in playing this game?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
14
I completely understand both sides of this debate and what i have to say is my own personal opinion (but then again i don't PvP). While i have spent crowns on some gear i find it personally more rewarding to work my way through the game rather than buy my way through. I get much more satisfaction from questing and farming my way through. It gives the game a purpose so its not just a way to pass the time. If i have something to work for I'm more likely to remain interested in the game. Again, this is just my point of view.

On a side note: I'm very disturbed to see the members attacking each other (and/or) staff for their opinions. Although I am not a parent I would not want any of my (hypothetical) children or my young nephew to read what we are saying to each other. Please lets remember this game is about having fun and lets all try to be nicer to one another.

Thanks,

Jennifer Frogsong ~ Level 34 Balance Wizard ~ Secondary Storm

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
52
@jfiskel1983 - Well said and I agree with you. Especially about the attitudes being expressed. Disagree or agree, but do it respectfully.

I've bought the hoard packs, they are fun and I've gotten some good stuff from them. However, I'm an adult and can decide if I want to spend my crowns on them (hence my real dollars). I have bought some crown gear (wands) but prefer to farm for the best stuff. I do agree with everyone that putting permanent spells in them was not a good decision. Spells are the basis of this game and should be earned. I play Wizard101 because it's fun and a stress relieve for me. My son also plays, but he is also old enough to make the decision of how to spend his crowns.


Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
Heather824 wrote:
It is totally a matter of opinion of what someones best gear is.... Just because you want to wear 60ish level gear with low crit and like 57 something damage and think its good is not my problem but this is a game with 70 levels so the gear should be appropriate by drops and I'm sorry but this is not what I was expecting at at level 70. I am a long time player of games like these and this is the first time I gotten to max level and been disappointed. So don't tell me your opinion of best gear and tell me I'm wrong....... because in my opinion you are......


As of this moment, to anyone who is good at mathematics and knows the game, Waterworks gear is the best gear in the game. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Now, normally, as we progress, the gear has gotten better, even from 50 to 60 we have seen improvements, however from 60 to 70, we have not seen improvements, we see more losses than gains.

Now, you might say, low critical on waterworks gear, but for 30 more critical points, which is like 5% more chance to critical, are you willing to give up accuracy, damage boost, pips, incoming healing, resistance?

Now, Waterworks did not come out for months after the release of Celestia, so our Wizards were stuck with level 55 or 58 gear for some time, wondering when we would be able to get level 60 gear. Then waterworks was released and we got level 60 gear, then Wysteria was released and we got a level 60 ring and athame. Same will go for Level 70 gear, ring and athame, I hope.

The only thing I have seen any of the packs have that is worth it, are the wands. Oh and now, new spells. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we should keep this clean, without name calling or exaggerations.

Some like what KI is doing and some don't, but ask yourself, why? What is so wrong? If you went to get your oil changed and paid for it, would you complained that someone else paid a bit more and got their car cleaned too and all the fluids checked and filled? No, so why are you complaining now? Because some of you don't want to pay for the very few extras, that have no real bearing on the game or how it is played.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
712
The thing that bothers me about the spells ...

Being a Myth wizard, I'd naturally want the Ninja Pigs spell. I believe that any natural (non treasure) Myth spell should be available to a Myth wizard. Without having to spend real cash. It feels like .... you are only playing a complete Myth wizard if you spend the money for it.

Until you do spend the money for it, to get the Myth spell, your Myth wizard will be incomplete. That is how I feel, now. My Myth wizard is incomplete. Because there is a spell out there, that is a solid, one hit damage spell, even more powerful than Minotaur. And I am a Myth wizard ... I really want that spell.

Another thing is ... why so rare? KingsIsle could easily make their little bit of extra money by making it semi-rare, or ultra rare instead of epic. I have spent oogles of money, and still my Myth wizard is incomplete, missing a very good Myth spell. And will be forever missing it until I do decide to spend oogles more money.

And in order to make up potential crown sales by reducing the rarity of the new spells, at least allow all the other schools (Fire, Ice, Storm, and Death) the ability to purchase spells.

This is perhaps rambling now, but ... it feels like I am paying for a game, but ontop of it, need to pay in order to learn ALL spells. Spells that are no less the same school as my Myth.

And the same goes for Life wizards, and Balance wizards.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2645
What's funny, is when the very first hoard pack came out, lots of posts of players complaining about how un-family friendly that made Wizard101, yet 5 million additional wizard accounts have been created since then. Yes, there will be those that don't like the card packs, nor the new spell additions, but just like before; will not spell the end of Wizard101.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
First of all, some people here could benefit from anger management classes. Such rudeness is childish and immature, and there is absolutely no reason for any of it.

Secondly, I can see both sides of the crowns-argument.

1. For:

I'm an adult and, because I have no kids/car/mortgage, I have the luxury of being able to buy crowns every so often. I'll buy the odd pack, just for fun, but I use them mostly for henchmen (what solo player doesn't love a partner that she doesn't have to talk to?), since I know better than to expect that I'll get anything from the packs that's worth keeping.

I've gotten some gear from crowns packs, but the only thing I kept was the Dragonrider's Balanceblade (which my transcended sorcerer still has). That same wizard still wears her level 60 Waterworks gear as well- she got her hat and cloak on the first go, but it took 6 more tries to get the boots... so the best gear (in my humble opinion) is available as in-game drops. As well, I don't buy houses with crowns- my wizards just save their gold, which helps the crowns to last longer. ;)

We must remember that KI is, first and foremost, a business- therefore, they need to make money and, in this economy, breaking even is simply not enough to stay afloat.

2. Against:

It seems unfair that the haves and have-nots should be so visibly divided. Some kids' parents haven't got spare cash to throw around- growing up, my parents didn't have a lot of money either, so I understand how frustrating it must be for those kids, to see so many fancy things that they'll never have access to.

As well, I disagree with "buying" spells. Case in point: the mastery amulets- I could afford them, if I wanted to, but I don't find it fair that only those with money have that luxury (and my wizards are all doing quite fine without them). I've contemplated buying a Life mastery amulet for my level 35 Storm wizard, but I haven't done it yet- it would give me powers that I hadn't earned, and it would feel like cheating.

/my two cents.

El Veeb/Shadowsong
& her 20-something aliases.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2011
1
all right, this is how i feel about all this. Yes, KI is going kinda far with the whole crowns thing. But they do need money and this is a good way of getting it.

The Ninja Lore pack does offer new cards, and all other packs offer cool pets and mounts. I feel that the pets and mounts are just cool factors, showing that you have money and you can waste it on pointless things (no offense crowns players :)). I do think however that the mastery amulets are great, great items, and that they are unfairly sold for crowns and not golds. However, they are dropped by creatures in Waterworks and the Tower of the Helephant, evening the playing field, so to speak.

The cards now found in the Ninja Lore pack are not the strongest cards out there. They are also like the pets and mounts, in that the players will see them using the cards and go, "Oh, they are a really cool player." So they also just show that the player has spent money.

So, all in all, crowns items are just bonuses, additions, and something to help players andvance in the game. Yes, the game is worth playing, to answer your question, because it is fun and virtualy costless, if you spend you money right.

Seth Thundercloud: lvl 33 thautmaturge

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
@ Vonawesome1:
Mastery amulets are still dropped in waterworks and Tower of the Helephant, you can still get them from playing the game.

@ Everyone else:
Very few things in this game, must be bought with crowns. Everything that must be bought with crowns, is a want. I want this look, or that look, or this mount, or that mount.

The only thing that crowns can get you that IS better than anything currently in the game, are wands. The wands in the packs are better than any in the game. However, maybe KI will one day change this, or set a price for these wands and set them up for sale in the crown shop. (Hopefully)

Now, 3 new spells are available. You can get them in treasure card form... Yes, the only way to get them in permanent form, is to spend some crowns. Again, these spells are not required in the game. They are extra for those that spend extra.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
25
No offense, but you're making very little sense. Like said, you don't have to buy this stuff. In fact, the new cards are painfully weak. So, you probably shouldn't.

However, that's not the big flaw. The problem here is that you're complaining about gambling by buying booster packs. It's not gambling. When I buy a nice new set of stuff from one of those packs, there is no loss. I gain rewards no matter what. In gambling you gain nothing unless you're lucky, oh and if you consider that gambling, isn't the waterworks gambling, too? I don't always get a robe. So then, it must be gambling. Again, that makes no sense.

Really, you just want something you can't have, and it upsets you. Now, there are 2 solutions, well 3. Either go buy it, don't buy it because the items aren't that great anyway, or just go quit.

"Merry pancake day!"
~Austin Trollcaster

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3175
darthjt wrote:
@ Vonawesome1:
Mastery amulets are still dropped in waterworks and Tower of the Helephant, you can still get them from playing the game.


Really? I guess if I ended up with one that way, I wouldn't feel as guilty- it's slightly different when one has to work for it. The odds are probably stacked against us, though...as in, the drop rate is (quite possibly) less than 2 percent.

I've farmed Waterworks countless times and, save for my level 60 gear, have gotten nothing worth keeping.That said, it would appear that my necromancer has been quite lucky with pet drops thus far... One of the golems in Big Ben gave him a rat magician, and he got a Skeletal Warrior pet from some boss in DS (either one of the Drakes, or that Obsidian guy)... Going on that, perhaps he'll have better luck in WW than my sorcerer did.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2645
Why does everyone assume these spells will only be available as rewards in the Ninja Lore pack? Is there absolutely no possible way these spells would be added as item cards or dropped TCs in the future?

Or is patience the key lacking virtue?

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
87
And really this quote bothers you. Have you ever logged in and sat in WC and saw all the filter passing and dirty talk and other wizards degrading each other.. Give me a break...... I didn't want to be rude but to everyone who wants to say that comment was the worst you must not be logged in to the game much because this is mild compared to what I see daily.

joey987123 wrote:
Dawgbiscuit wrote:
AmericanHappy wrote:
Heather824 wrote:
I totally agree. I am an adult and can buy packs but it isn't right for the best gear to not be in game. I was very disappointed when I realized this myself..


You are 100% INCORRECT!

The best gear is in the game - it's called water works gear and you get it as a drop when going through water works - you cannot buy this gear in the store using crowns.

If you have assumptions that's normal, but I would encourage you to ask questions first before getting on here and making statements as if they were fact.


and i suugets you quit smoking b/c 60 gear isnt the best KI is a company they want to make money and they are getting greedy, KI needs to take some lessons from the #1 MMORPG World of Warcraft you actually can get Awsome ingame gear....KI this is really fail....greed


I am sorry I have been checking in on this thread people are so rude, [I suggest you stop smoking] Never in my life have i heard such a thing so inappropriate here. I have taken 6 months off from the game and back then i never saw comments like this. And kingsisle does have good gear like the waterworks gear.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
87
Yes if the other person paid the same as I did for the oil change and got their car cleaned as well and I didn't.. Yes I would complain so would most others... It is just stupid to assume someone would pay the same money for the same service but get much less. No one would knowingly do this in real life like you just used to make your point.
darthjt wrote:
Heather824 wrote:
It is totally a matter of opinion of what someones best gear is.... Just because you want to wear 60ish level gear with low crit and like 57 something damage and think its good is not my problem but this is a game with 70 levels so the gear should be appropriate by drops and I'm sorry but this is not what I was expecting at at level 70. I am a long time player of games like these and this is the first time I gotten to max level and been disappointed. So don't tell me your opinion of best gear and tell me I'm wrong....... because in my opinion you are......


As of this moment, to anyone who is good at mathematics and knows the game, Waterworks gear is the best gear in the game. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Now, normally, as we progress, the gear has gotten better, even from 50 to 60 we have seen improvements, however from 60 to 70, we have not seen improvements, we see more losses than gains.

Now, you might say, low critical on waterworks gear, but for 30 more critical points, which is like 5% more chance to critical, are you willing to give up accuracy, damage boost, pips, incoming healing, resistance?

Now, Waterworks did not come out for months after the release of Celestia, so our Wizards were stuck with level 55 or 58 gear for some time, wondering when we would be able to get level 60 gear. Then waterworks was released and we got level 60 gear, then Wysteria was released and we got a level 60 ring and athame. Same will go for Level 70 gear, ring and athame, I hope.

The only thing I have seen any of the packs have that is worth it, are the wands. Oh and now, new spells. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we should keep this clean, without name calling or exaggerations.

Some like what KI is doing and some don't, but ask yourself, why? What is so wrong? If you went to get your oil changed and paid for it, would you complained that someone else paid a bit more and got their car cleaned too and all the fluids checked and filled? No, so why are you complaining now? Because some of you don't want to pay for the very few extras, that have no real bearing on the game or how it is played.

Explorer
Dec 29, 2009
87
And I guarantee they didn't start playing this game for the packs.. So don't imply that the packs helped their player base.

kingurz wrote:
What's funny, is when the very first hoard pack came out, lots of posts of players complaining about how un-family friendly that made Wizard101, yet 5 million additional wizard accounts have been created since then. Yes, there will be those that don't like the card packs, nor the new spell additions, but just like before; will not spell the end of Wizard101.

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
729
tabby714 wrote:
I agree with part of your complaint--putting permanent spells in a crowns pack sets a bad precedent. Whatever happened to "you can spend crowns, or you can spend time?" In other words, you can level up your pet slowly, using in-game currency/snacks only, or you can speed-level with mega snacks. You can earn the gold for a house, or use crowns and get one now. And so on...these new spells are not available to the general public for any amount of time. Only crowns--and you have to spend who knows how many to get the spells. Probably quite a lot. The "class difference" (for lack of a better term) in game is already getting out of hand. Some people have tons of crowns to spend, some have none. And some, who have none, stand around and beg. It's a bit too much like real life...

I have often defended KI on the crowns issue--henchmen, for example--you can buy them, or get people to help. But this business of putting permanent spells in packs is a bad move. It's a step toward simply buying your spells instead of leveling...and it doesn't teach kids that power has to be earned.

Gear, on the other hand--most of the better gear is (as of now) not from packs. But the way things are going, who knows? Maybe instead of a dungeon, all the best level 70 gear will soon come from packs. I hope not...but it's worrisome. Really, it is. As a player and a parent, this disappoints me.

Very true. Pokemon is a good example. Many players of the pokemon games use cheating devices to get super powerful pokemon usually not accessible. I take pride in getting powerful pokemon without use of cheats. Wizard 101 is the same. I take pride in not using Crowns to make the game easier. I might look up how to beat a boss on a game, but I try to figure it out first. I take pride in not using crowns, and becoming a powerful Wizard using in game gold, time, and a lot of effort. How am I supposed to take pride in that when I know that every kid who's parents allow them to buy crowns get a powerful spell that I can't get, when I put 2 years of effort into this game??? I am dissapointed by not keeping the good lesson in this game of choosing the path of either earning something, or taking the shortcut. Can't those who took the long road get something cool too?

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
514
Seasnake, you are full of truth and good ideas. I totally agree, it is gambling, whether it like baseball cards or not. They might as well bring wishing fountains back if they will keep coming these packs.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
seasnake wrote:
The Ninja Lore Pack... the only way to get newly offered spells
Other packs... the only way to get the best equipment

the game is no longer about playing it to improve your characters to make them the best, now you have to gamble for and buy your way forward

I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money and gambling. I suggest firing the corrupted staff that is promoting this line of gambling product and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.
Hmm. I see a few flaws in this argument. First off, it is not a gamble. Gambling is technically betting money when there is money at stake. Gambling lets you score, or lose it all. These packs, they grant you 7 items no matter what, so there is no way to "lose" anything. You still gain 7 items. The packs do what they claim they do. It's not false advertising, and it's not dangling the carrot. By your logic, fighting a boss can be gambling. Participating in PvP is gambling. Casting a spell is gambling. You could die, not get the item you want, lose ranking, or fizzle. If you feel like you want to quit the game, you can. No one here will try to stop you.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2645
Heather824 wrote:
And I guarantee they didn't start playing this game for the packs.. So don't imply that the packs helped their player base.

kingurz wrote:
What's funny, is when the very first hoard pack came out, lots of posts of players complaining about how un-family friendly that made Wizard101, yet 5 million additional wizard accounts have been created since then. Yes, there will be those that don't like the card packs, nor the new spell additions, but just like before; will not spell the end of Wizard101.


I never implied that.

I was explicitly indicating that the card packs have not damaged the growing population in any way.

However, there is the arguement that since a new pack arrives every 3 months or so, they are probably the best selling item in the crowns shop. So while the packs may not have introduced players to the game, they are certainly successful enough to keep producing packs at such a constant rate. So millions of those wizards, actually do like the card packs.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2009
3
I think the game should be about making friends and not about having the very best of everything. You don't need to have the best gear to complete the game. The packs are merely enhancements, unnecessary for play. They do make it a bit easier, but remain optional.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2011
29
seasnake wrote:
The Ninja Lore Pack... the only way to get newly offered spells
Other packs... the only way to get the best equipment

the game is no longer about playing it to improve your characters to make them the best, now you have to gamble for and buy your way forward

I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money and gambling. I suggest firing the corrupted staff that is promoting this line of gambling product and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.


THANK YOU!!! Unfortunately KI is a company and doesn't care about customers, they care about profit and this is what they think is a good way of getting money. I would like to continue my points on wizard101central.com, wizard's sister site (the good one, well, that's debatable...). You can find me as matthias321 and find the post which will have a name relevant to this topic.

Survivor
Apr 21, 2009
16
seasnake wrote:
The Ninja Lore Pack... the only way to get newly offered spells
Other packs... the only way to get the best equipment

the game is no longer about playing it to improve your characters to make them the best, now you have to gamble for and buy your way forward

I feel betrayed, this is hardly a kids/family game when its all about spending money and gambling. I suggest firing the corrupted staff that is promoting this line of gambling product and replacing them with non-greedy personel that actually cares about the players and the game.

I feel the same way you do but i think that either kingsisle is saving money for their new project or trying to make the game more fun by making each player unique-Having not the same equipments and stats. I must admit yes there is this sort of gambling where someone is always trying to finish first but that's one of the things that keeps the players hyped and is what separates the high with the low ranks. Moreover yes there should be another activity besides pvp where low and high ranks have a fair chance. Making this game fair could be what mostly everyone is talking about-the idea of earning crown and not always having to buy them or join some contest that one is sure not to win for everyone. So yea wizard101 has its flaws but its up to us to say which one they are so they can be bettered and fixed

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
11
I hope I don't sound as if i am belittling the cause of this thread first and foremost. I understand there is a principle behind not buying your way through a game, however it seems to me like these spells are causing much more of a dipute than the workers at kingsisle had predicted. These spells however just seem to be novelty spells and nothing more. Sure they may have a couple practical applications whn one is of a lower level, but besides just using it to use it, when one is finished with the storyline there doesnt seem to be much point to them. My opinion is a little shortsighted as i no longer participate in pvp so the affects of the spells in the arena are on the unknown side of things to me.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2902
The Crowns packs, boss chests, pet spells learned, etc. are a lottery, or a slot-machine if you wish.

That said, the only 'best' gear that I know of in any of the packs or chests is the 130 damage wand with a stat boost, and even that may have a better counterpart somewhere.

Nobody is being forced to buy Crowns, and the game (except possibly PvP) can be played without the use of any. They're a luxury or convenience.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
712
Those rank 5 cards at level 70 may become 'useless' to some, but to others, like me, they will remain usefull until the end of time.

As a storm, I very frequently use my level 4 Kraken spell because it is so darn cheap and powerful.

I feel for the Life school more than any other, really. Life school does not even get an attack spell between rank 4 and 6. So, for the Life school, the Goat Monk is a really awesome spell. Not to mention that the Ninja Pigs is quite a bit more powerful than Minotaur, and Samoorai gives Balance player an alternative to Judgement and Spectral blast.

I like eggywig's comment on Pokemon. Imagine yourself getting (BUYING) the latest most awesome pokemon game that you were looking forward to for months. You turn on the game, and start the game with your favorite starter. You eventually catch 5 more favorite pokemon, to fill out your pokemon team.

You begin to add them to your team when a message pops up:

"Do you want to add this pokemon to your team for 1.99?"

Now, imagine this happening when purchasing the official pokemon app for iphone and/or droids. Which would be a dream come true for anyone that loves pokemon. (No one better say "just jailbreak your phone" because then I will reach through my computer monitor and bonk you over the head!)

Hmm. That would seriously kill the mood for playing pokemon! Maybe not for some, but for quite a few players. This is what this whole thing is about. Sure, you don't need the extra spells. But no one would need more than one pokemon anyway, to play the game, right?

Reminder: This is primarily about the spells. Not anything else. The spells is what made the Ninja Lore the subject of debate.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
387
this is what i do: Just don't buy them, am not causing stress for myself and am saving money why can't you guys do the same?