Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Anyone Else Feeling a Little Burned Out?

AuthorMessage
Hero
Feb 26, 2012
709
lettup on Feb 4, 2015 wrote:
Try changing your strategy when you do fights, it could help your problems with that. But seeing people snark on a game I and many others love so much is hard on me. I want this game to be good for as many people as possible, but saying you can barely handle anything (emphasis on anything there) without the dungeon gear is a overstatement. This game is trying hard to keep people satisfied, but I think broke itself up with the Darkmoor release. I just wish people could look harder and think deeper. I hope for the future of this game, and although many can't see through the hardships now, do not fear: the fog will clear.

I appreciate your love for the game. Of course, I (and the others who comment on this thread) also love the game, or I (they) would not be posting here.

The problem is that much of what we love about the game is being changed, in ways that make the game just not as fun for us. I would hope you could take that not as a personal affront to you, but just as an expression of our own likes and feelings about our experience of the game. If yours is different, that is fine. I think all of us want the game to be as fun as possible for as many people as possible -- providing it still fits within the overall position and mission of the game within the market, as stated in their own advertising and promotion: a family-friendly MMO, for kids from about 10yrs old on up.

Also, I want to correct a mis-statement you made: I did not say I could "barely handle anything (emphasis on anything) without the dungeon gear." What I said is that there is now content in the game that is no longer really maneagable with just bazaar gear, but and that even with higher gear and pets (dungeon or crowns) is difficult to handle.

Most of the higher content (i.e., dungeons, big bosses) also now really requires a group of experienced players to beat it -- it cannot be done by solo players or even by groups of inexperienced and/or ill-equipped players. It also cannot be completed without large blocks of time. For me, and for others posting here, this is really just not fun, and frustrating. I would like the Darkmoor spell and the gear. But I have no wish to go through Darkmoor to get them. So I am not going through it -- but because of that, I am missing out, and will be left behind by faster/stronger friends. It feels like a no-win situation.

I went through Xibalba, to get on with the story and to the next world -- but it was a horrible experience for me. It was not fun at all. I don't want to have to go through more experiences like that in order to enjoy this game -- a game that I too have really loved and enjoyed for years. Do you think I should have to quit the game that I love, because it has changed in ways that are not fun for me anymore? Or do you think by talking we might find ways to make the game more fun and enjoyable for us all -- including the ones who really just like the story, and the family-fun environment?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
FinnAgainWindrider on Feb 11, 2015 wrote:
I appreciate your love for the game. Of course, I (and the others who comment on this thread) also love the game, or I (they) would not be posting here.

The problem is that much of what we love about the game is being changed, in ways that make the game just not as fun for us. I would hope you could take that not as a personal affront to you, but just as an expression of our own likes and feelings about our experience of the game. If yours is different, that is fine. I think all of us want the game to be as fun as possible for as many people as possible -- providing it still fits within the overall position and mission of the game within the market, as stated in their own advertising and promotion: a family-friendly MMO, for kids from about 10yrs old on up.

Also, I want to correct a mis-statement you made: I did not say I could "barely handle anything (emphasis on anything) without the dungeon gear." What I said is that there is now content in the game that is no longer really maneagable with just bazaar gear, but and that even with higher gear and pets (dungeon or crowns) is difficult to handle.

Most of the higher content (i.e., dungeons, big bosses) also now really requires a group of experienced players to beat it -- it cannot be done by solo players or even by groups of inexperienced and/or ill-equipped players. It also cannot be completed without large blocks of time. For me, and for others posting here, this is really just not fun, and frustrating. I would like the Darkmoor spell and the gear. But I have no wish to go through Darkmoor to get them. So I am not going through it -- but because of that, I am missing out, and will be left behind by faster/stronger friends. It feels like a no-win situation.

I went through Xibalba, to get on with the story and to the next world -- but it was a horrible experience for me. It was not fun at all. I don't want to have to go through more experiences like that in order to enjoy this game -- a game that I too have really loved and enjoyed for years. Do you think I should have to quit the game that I love, because it has changed in ways that are not fun for me anymore? Or do you think by talking we might find ways to make the game more fun and enjoyable for us all -- including the ones who really just like the story, and the family-fun environment?
i am with you, finn; and i also agree with black pearl, high five ghost, and the many others who have expressed similar sentiments. i may have cancelled 2 4-year subs. but, if i didn't love the game in some capacity, i wouldn't still be here. in fact, the only reason i am still here is because i keep hoping against all hope that the game will find its magic again someday.

black pearl said it perfectly: if i had wanted a run-of-the-mill wow clone mmo, i would have started playing wow. as a new gamer (which i was, at the time), i picked this one because it was different... it wasn't an elitist, pvp-centric slogfest. but, sadly, that's exactly what it has become.

the toxicity of the arena has now infiltrated the rest of the spiral and turned us against each other. i have been through instances where teammates spend more time arguing and fighting with each other than against our shared enemies; the spiral is not the friendly place it once was, and it breaks my little wizard heart into a million pieces.

i have completed castle darkmoor on 3 exalted wizards; i have spent 4, 8, even 12 hours, on some instances therein, due to our team being ill-equipped or inexperienced. but i would not abandon them, even when we all wanted to rage-quit out of frustration. i am not a quitter, and i applaud those people who stuck it out with me, even though the odds were stacked against us.

i have been taking my balance wizard through khrysalis 2 recently, and i made an observation: it's awfully sad when did-not-collect quests and boss fight after boss fight are considered a break from the tedium of max-level instances; running darkmoor more than once a week just flatlines me... on the flipside, i (and my transcendent life wizard) did a waterworks run the other night with some friends. and, you know what? it was fun.

it's been over a year since i have done waterworks. but this particular run made me realize that the high-level instances could benefit from a similar model. yes, there are cheats and obstacles, but none so insurmountable that ill-equipped or inexperienced players feel that they are outclassed or must abandon the instance if they don't have a full team.

i have a level 34 pyromancer in mooshu, who has been there for over a year. she is my last wizard in the first arc, and i don't quest with her because, as much as i hate mooshu, i don't want to sever my last link to the fun/casual part of the game.

-von

Survivor
Mar 12, 2010
9
I remember trying 50 - 60 times just to get my life characters waterworks gear.I can understand the feeling of playing the same worlds. Kevin Jade 83

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
No, not really. I am actually having fun with the darker worlds, and cheating bosses.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
Lucas Rain on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
After this dungeon update, I think a lot of people became more certain about what their priorities are for Wiz101.

I have a suggestion thread somewhere in the dorms about random quest generation that would be great for casual or family-friendly play. It requires coding, but would use the NPCs and worlds that already exist. Storylines would be pretty simple to ad lib. If nothing else, it would hold players over until KI releases a new world. I didn't get any positive comments on it though.
Dude that sounds amazing! I love it!

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
139
The game is only going to get harder because it needs to. Its a family friendly game, as in you don't actually see people get murdered, or, abused in ways i cannot mention on this forum. The story, is family friendly, and its gameplay is pretty casual, seen as players cannot go running around stabbing people willy-nilly like other MMORPGS like Warcraft or Minecraft. In order to get as wide of an audience as Kingsisle can, they need to make battles harder, new worlds darker, and other things for players who have been growing up with the game, such as me, and lots of other players. Or, newer players who are older than 10 years old. Most of my friends in game are in college and said they'd of quit if the game stayed so easy. My girlfriend, and my best friend, both whizzed through all the worlds up to celesita. which was kinda shocking to me, since that took me 4 years!

Not to mention the game is getting darker and harder because your wizard, is getting stronger, and more mature as the story goes on. Remember, they were brought to the spiral from a world that doesnt believe in magic, or they were going to that school, from the other side of the spiral. And once they arrive, they are told that they need to save the spiral? Everything? They had all this responsibility thrust onto them in an instant. The story is darker to show how your Wizard had matured through those days of endless fighting, grinding and whatnot. They game is only going to get harder. the past is gone.

Sure i miss the days of the sillyness but this harder stuff has created a new feel for the game that still makes it all the worth. The game hasnt changed. Its the players. Gamers have gotten lazier and i hate to say it, but its true. Sorry for the harsh comment, if it was harsh, I dont mean to be rude. The game can still be enjoyed, just create a new character and start from scratch. Something. You can find something out, i am pretty sure you guys can.

Just my opinion and why i think the game is harder.

Explorer
Jun 07, 2009
61
I am still on Mooshu with my highest level, but I too am feeling a bit burnt out. It might be just because Mooshu is hard and I'm just barely scratching by, or that I know what is going to happen next. I don't exactly know all the details, but I know the base of it.

The game gets darker.

I've heard from many others, and this thread, that it gets harder and harder as we progress. Personally, I don't mind darker themes, and I find what KieranMoonFlame true. Plus, if we all started when we were ten or eleven, we would probably take it slow and side quest a lot (*points at self*) before even moving to Krokotopia. I took about half a year to get through Krok- with off and on playing- and I found that it is slightly darker than the bright, cheery and bustling Wizard City. I also found that the difficulty increases. I know that Krok is nothing like the later worlds with their dark atmosphere either, but it is much different than Wizard City with its three creepy caves (Haunted and Dark caves and Nightside). Marleybone is more drawn out then dark. I'm not very far into Mooshu yet, but I am feeling a bit fizzled. Mooshu has a bright appearance, but the plot and the mobs there are enough to put me down, and trust me, it makes a lot to make me sad.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
KieranMoonFlame on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
The game is only going to get harder because it needs to. Its a family friendly game, as in you don't actually see people get murdered, or, abused in ways i cannot mention on this forum. The story, is family friendly, and its gameplay is pretty casual, seen as players cannot go running around stabbing people willy-nilly like other MMORPGS like Warcraft or Minecraft. In order to get as wide of an audience as Kingsisle can, they need to make battles harder, new worlds darker, and other things for players who have been growing up with the game, such as me, and lots of other players. Or, newer players who are older than 10 years old. Most of my friends in game are in college and said they'd of quit if the game stayed so easy. My girlfriend, and my best friend, both whizzed through all the worlds up to celesita. which was kinda shocking to me, since that took me 4 years!

Not to mention the game is getting darker and harder because your wizard, is getting stronger, and more mature as the story goes on. Remember, they were brought to the spiral from a world that doesnt believe in magic, or they were going to that school, from the other side of the spiral. And once they arrive, they are told that they need to save the spiral? Everything? They had all this responsibility thrust onto them in an instant. The story is darker to show how your Wizard had matured through those days of endless fighting, grinding and whatnot. They game is only going to get harder. the past is gone.

Sure i miss the days of the sillyness but this harder stuff has created a new feel for the game that still makes it all the worth. The game hasnt changed. Its the players. Gamers have gotten lazier and i hate to say it, but its true. Sorry for the harsh comment, if it was harsh, I dont mean to be rude. The game can still be enjoyed, just create a new character and start from scratch. Something. You can find something out, i am pretty sure you guys can.

Just my opinion and why i think the game is harder.
i would love to agree with the general sentiment of this post, but your last paragraph is insulting.

i see nothing wrong with a challenge, or with 'darker' storylines. as much as i dislike long, cheaty instances that give me nothing in return for the hours i put in, darkmoor is a beautiful world. the music, the story, the design... love it. but actually running it any more than once a week just drains me.

(what better way to de-stress from work, than with more work, amirite?)

casual players do not have the resources (time, a full buddy-list, the best gear/pets) that the hardcore gamers have, and the mental exhaustion is very real. but this idea that casual players are lazy or lesser players than the hardcore set needs to stop, because that elitist attitude is exactly what is wrong with the game.

i no longer quest on weeknights, simply because i can't set aside the huge chunk of time that's required to get anything done. most of my friends have left the game, so i have to rely on team up (and finding a group, much less one that won't quit, takes up a lot of my playable hours); i have started well over 500 runs, completed maybe 50. even if i could, somehow, solo it, why would i want to?

i, and others in my position, have observed that the people claiming that these long and cheaty instances are 'easy' have never offered any constructive advice to those who are struggling. in the words of valdushawkflame (one of my favourite posters on these boards): "we are a community, so how about acting like members of one, for a change?"

/my 2 cents, for what they are worth.

-von "because logic" shadowsong

Survivor
Jun 08, 2013
21
As what I guess now is considered a casual player I have 4 wizards at 100. 2 at 98. When I could solo I could at least play at my leisure. Now looking at what is there now and seems to be ahead that won't be happening. Add the thought of trying team up for all of my wizards just to continue just is daunting.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2011
2
I completely understand the way everyone feels on both sides of this but I have to stick with what I love and that's a challenge. I flew through all of Avalon in 3 days of course with some questing buddies but either way it just wasnt a challenge.

Kaitlyn goldmask
83
is
is

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
154
I'm feeling the opposite. I was getting bored last year but now I'm excited again. Challenges and changes are fun!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
@tesla3phase, i am in the same position you are. i am a casual player with 3 wizards at level 100, and i am dreading the thought of what lies ahead.

i soloed everything through avalon, pre-nerf azteca, and most of khrysalis (save for the most ridiculous cheat dungeons). all of my wizards are self-sustaining in combat, and i dislike being forced into group situations.

don't get me wrong: under the right circumstances, i enjoy meeting people and making new friends. but there are some nights that i just want to quest by myself, and i should be able to do that if i choose to.

that this is an mmorpg simply implies that teaming with other players is an option~ not something that's forced or required for basic quest progression.

@kaitlyn goldmask, you and your friends cleared av in 3 days~ that is an achievement, so congrats.

however, not everyone has friends they can play with regularly; my questing buddies are on the west coast and there are 4 hours between us, which makes getting together very difficult, and we have to plan most meetups weeks in advance.

(if i want to use team up, i have to stay up late because after-dinner playtime for everyone else is midnight here, and i'm logging out to go to bed)

i used to teach aerobic dance and, while i was in training, my teacher told me that all classes must be catered to the least-experienced person in the group; the rest of the class could increase the intensity of the workout, if desired, but the class itself was supposed to geared toward the beginner/casual athlete, rather than the professional.

"cool story, von. what's the point?"

answer: i see no reason that the game can't work similarly.

if you are seeking a challenge, create your own: wear low/no gear, ditch your pet, only use spells that cost 4 pips or less, play the game while standing on your head... the possibilities are endless. but that should not be a benchmark for the rest of us.

-von "no gamer left behind" shadowsong

=

Explorer
Oct 02, 2012
97
I am feeling burned out. With the addition of darkmoor I knew it would be over for me.

Defender
Jan 02, 2011
138
FinnAgainWindrider on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
After this last update with Castle Darkmoor and the other dungeons, something just kinda fizzled in me regarding this game. I (and several other voices on these threads) have been asking over and over again for a return to the fun family-friendly light-hearted game that Wizard101 started out to be. But the game keeps barreling along into harder and harder things.

I'm getting tired of even trying to post about it anymore, and wondering if the game is too far gone to bother with anymore. My oldest daughter rarely plays now, and though my youngest daughter thinks she would like to start, I'm not sure that will happen, since I may not keep up the subs. It was fine when the spirit really was family friendly. But with this new hard-edged spirit in the game, I'm not so sure about it.

Personally, I found the new lower level dungeons about right for my higher level wizards to go through and still enjoy. Darkmoor I don't even want to try -- it is just a waste of time and a source of frustration to spend hours fighting cheating bosses, for the slim chance of moderate rewards.

Usually this time of year with the holiday stuff and all, I am really loving the spiral. Usually I have been eager for new updates. This year, not as much. I loved the light joy this game had. But there is a heavy feel in the spiral now, too much seriousness, too much competition. It leaves me feeling a little burned out.

Anybody else feeling this way?
The higher levels are harder on purpose. KI had to do something to bring the teens and adults back who were bored and leaving in droves.

But there's a limit on just how hard it can get and still be fun/challenging and not work/tedious.

I would love to see a lot of the lower levels expanded. not just new dungeons but extra worlds

I want to see more of wisteria, outside the city and school.

I would like to see a whole story line with a progression from newbie to level 60 in other places besides chase malistair and chase Morganthe

The game started out as if it were created to run on a local machine with a single story line. LIke the games you install on your playstation - go through the quests, beat the final boss, end of game

But it's long past time for it to change and morph into a virtual world with multiple story line paths for all levels, not just 'young wizard, you need to save wizard city" as it started out.

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
164
For the most part, I enjoy playing Wizard101.

Some things I like about Wizard101:

1. No Raiding! No need to coordinate with 9 or more people to set a date/time for a dungeon crawl of 3 or more hours. I like the 4 vs. 4 maximum.

2. The "replay" value! I can choose from 7 different Schools of magic and have a completely different experience each time.

3. The age of the game. KI is invested in Wizard101 for the long term. So many new-er game titles have quickly go to the non-support abyss soon after their release date.

Some things I don't like:

1. No Guilds, or Clans, or w/e you want to call them. In other MMOs I have played, joining a Guild of like-minded players was a top priority for many. The "Friends" list is a nice feature, but doesn't compare to a Guild with perks/benefits for it's members.

2. PVP. Enough said.

3. Spell animations. Some of the spells are just ridiculously long, and in a turn-based combat system, they can really try one's patience. I have gaming friends who refuse to play this game based on what they have read regarding combat (Duels) in this game.

Again there is more, but most of my dislikes have been repeatedly mentioned on this, and other threads.

I offer my wizarding abilities, again, to those that are in need. I play on the Lincoln Realm, I have several wizards at my disposal, but my highest level is "Gabriel"; an Exalted Necromancer.

The one thing I will let you all know is, I won't carry your wizard through content. The second thing is RL comes first and so my playing time is random, however usually in the daylight hours I'm more available (PST).

I don't consider myself a "hardcore" player, but I have been playing MMOs for decades and I always play with purpose, never just for fun. I have a definite playing style, but always open to constructive criticism, and ways to generally improve my abilities.

@Finn, Dr. Von,

I hope one day we can be "Friends"

best of luck to all of you,

Gabriel

Survivor
Jan 11, 2015
32
Unfortunately I didn't start playing Wizards until recently. I bought a year membership for both myself and my daughter. To bad KingsIsle doesn't allow you to play a lot of areas without first paying for them. My wizard is a high level now and it takes forever to level also I am in Marleybone and no friends will help with quests that have 3 against 1 with the 3 have almost 3k hit points and my wizard only almost 2k not only does it seem that the enemy gets way more hp but that their pip buildup is much faster than mine they throw one powerful spell after another not much time to build in between like I have to and after 3 days trying to get others to help and getting no not right now or can you help me do a quest and trying to help them finding you cant because its a solo quest that is easy and simple I am really frustrated. The game started out nice and fun a little hard at points but manageable. Now I am just burnt out and asking myself why did I spend those hundreds for this when I could have spent it for something better that is not as frustrating and now I have almost a full year left, not to mention all the packets and bundles I bought because I really did like the game in the beginning until I found out how hard it is to get through the spiral let alone one boring area that looks the same throughout.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2015
32
FinnAgainWindrider on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for the support and the holiday wishes -- same to you!

"What's funny is that I have spent quite a bit of money on this game, as have many, many other casual players, so it does leave me a bit befuddled as to why our voices are rarely heard."

I too have found this puzzling -- I know I have spent a lot of money on this game as well. I know of others, also good paying customers for years, who have recently left the game. It seems very odd to me that our voices seem to be heard so little.
I agree, and I didn't even get any real equipment from the packs I bought trying to get some of the cool items I saw others using I must have spent a hundred dollars buying packs trying to get a cool mount or awesome gear but mostly I got seeds, reagents, and pet snacks that were pretty much worthless because I find the seeds from my plants I already have or buy them with gold and the reagents are everywhere. I don't train my pets often enough to worry about the snacks either. I believe each pack should hold at least 1 valuable item that is great no matter what level your wizard is or be adjustable like the bundle gear to whatever level you choose to use.
I really do like the game but as a new player I do feel there could be better items if your willing to spend the crowns on them.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
709
KieranMoonFlame on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:
The game is only going to get harder because it needs to. Its a family friendly game, as in you don't actually see people get murdered, or, abused in ways i cannot mention on this forum. The story, is family friendly, and its gameplay is pretty casual, seen as players cannot go running around stabbing people willy-nilly like other MMORPGS like Warcraft or Minecraft. In order to get as wide of an audience as Kingsisle can, they need to make battles harder, new worlds darker, and other things for players who have been growing up with the game, such as me, and lots of other players. Or, newer players who are older than 10 years old. Most of my friends in game are in college and said they'd of quit if the game stayed so easy. My girlfriend, and my best friend, both whizzed through all the worlds up to celesita. which was kinda shocking to me, since that took me 4 years!

Not to mention the game is getting darker and harder because your wizard, is getting stronger, and more mature as the story goes on. Remember, they were brought to the spiral from a world that doesnt believe in magic, or they were going to that school, from the other side of the spiral. And once they arrive, they are told that they need to save the spiral? Everything? They had all this responsibility thrust onto them in an instant. The story is darker to show how your Wizard had matured through those days of endless fighting, grinding and whatnot. They game is only going to get harder. the past is gone.

Sure i miss the days of the sillyness but this harder stuff has created a new feel for the game that still makes it all the worth. The game hasnt changed. Its the players. Gamers have gotten lazier and i hate to say it, but its true. Sorry for the harsh comment, if it was harsh, I dont mean to be rude. The game can still be enjoyed, just create a new character and start from scratch. Something. You can find something out, i am pretty sure you guys can.

Just my opinion and why i think the game is harder.
Kieran I appreciate that you like the harder content, and you are most welcome to your own preferences. Please keep your comments in a kind tone, however. If I or others express that we feel burnout or that we don't like the harder turn to the game, that does not justify you calling us lazy.

Actually, we may be very industrious people. I for one run my own business, raise two children, paint, draw, exercise, and teach workshops. Indeed, I think many people would consider someone who plays video games for many hours upon end day after day to be much more lazy than some of us who have to work for a living.

To me, a game is a place to go to relax and let down, to escape a bit, and to take it easy. It is not a place to go to add more work to the work I already have to do in real life. The same is true for my daughter, who in addition to school also has extracurricular activities, karate, art, music, etc., which demand her time. Both of us liked Wizard101, because we could just come on here and play lightly for a while. To me, that is what a family-oriented game is all about. With the harder turn to the game, my daughter actually likes the game less than I do now. I think that says a lot.

As to you saying "The game hasn't changed", you know that is not true -- you even said as much in the previous sentence "this harder stuff has created a new feel for the game." The game has changed. You obviously like the changes; I do not. That does not make either of us "right" or "wrong;" it just means we have different preferences. By all means, feel free to express your preferences here, but please don't insult others whose preferences differ from yours. We too are free to have and voice our thoughts and feelings.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
613
Katilyn goldmask on Feb 19, 2015 wrote:
I completely understand the way everyone feels on both sides of this but I have to stick with what I love and that's a challenge. I flew through all of Avalon in 3 days of course with some questing buddies but either way it just wasnt a challenge.

Kaitlyn goldmask
83
is
is
Sadly this seems to be what's happening to this game. When I started a few years ago, I didn't mind blasting through the first few worlds. Let's face it, Wizard City especially was designed for you to fly through the free content to get you hooked so that you would want to spend money to see more of the game. And you could easily do it solo... no problems. Well, Sunken City and Golem Tower presented some problems, but nothing that was unmanageable.

But let's be honest. KI isn't going to launch a new world every 2 weeks. Why are people in such a hurry to blast through the new content? Ever since Zafaria came out, everyone I knew seemed to be in a race to be the first to be bored until the next new world came out. Typically it's going to be 6 - 8 months away. Why not take your time?

The thing is I don't think it's possible for KI to come up with a challenge hard enough to keep people busy for months who have enough time on their hands to complete every new world in 3 days.

I give KI credit because they do seem to be doing a lot of work to add new content to keep people busy, including things like B.O.X.E.S. or fishing. Sadly for those of us who want to complete everything it can create a bit of overload because it distracts us from questing and we can't ever seem to get everything finished. But others are in the opposite position where there's never enough to keep them busy.

It's just frustrating because there isn't an answer that can satisfy everyone. People who have 15 hours a week to play have different needs than people who have 15 hours a day to play.

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
274
Lattegirl on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
Yes sometimes. The dungeons were getting too hard for me as a level 100 Life wizard, so I created a Storm wizard who is now level 93. I just got into Khrysalis, but the first dungeon for me was so hard, took me a half dozen attempts to finally defeat them. Hours went buy just for just the first dungeon. Had to take a break.

Yes I hate leveling up my pets, but that is really the only way you have a chance at defeating some of the bosses when stuck in a solo dungeon. I suppose I could spend crowns, but I'd rather buy a new pair of shoes than spend a bunch of crown money on a battle in this game.

Also, I just spent about 40 dollars trying to get the Robe of the Furious Winter from Yuletide packs. I never got the robe I wanted. So heartbroken, I almost feel like giving up this game. I've waited all year for a chance to get that robe.
What I'm curious about is how in the name of God did you make it to level 93 already!? I've been here since 2012 and I just made it to Celestia! But yeah, I'm not sure if I'll even make it somewhere CLOSE to Darkmoor, since New Super Mario Bros is way too hard for me.

David ThunderMancer 56

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
274
Leens on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
I play 2 accounts at the same time, four wizards in total. After farming darkmoor multiple times on each wizards and still not receiving a WAND I'm completely burnt out. I farmed this place about 20 times and only thing I haven't gotten is a wand. I'm DONE with darkmoor now. Its taken so much time and energy I give up on farming for a wand. I have a full time job as well, so farming darkmoor once a day and not getting anything really did it for me :/
Your sentiments seem to be shared by many.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
709
Looks like I am more burned out than I thought. I can't remember the last time I logged on to the message boards, or even to the game. I don't think I have played at all in nearly a month, nor has my older daughter. Wow. This used to be an everyday thing for me.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
923
I've been trying to teach new folks the shortcuts and strategies for team Darkmoor speed runs whenever I can. Most people are simply not receptive because they have lost their trust. They are too used to Drill Sgt Loudmouth shouting at them without reason. Too used to one or more players giving up and fleeing the dungeon for good after the first cheats come out. Too used to groups who don't talk to each other and do whatever they feel like.

When a game instance creates this much negativity and mistrust, it's time to re-evaluate the instance, not the players.

Most of the "elite teams" are composed of ordinary working adults and students, folks who KNOW they will not have 4+ hours just to run a single dungeon. They work together inside the game and sometimes outside of it as well, sharing strategies, treasure cards, observations, and "build orders" to minimize the time needed to complete. And I've been a part of one since Tartarus went live, logging hundreds of Hades runs and probably about 75 Darkmoor runs with the speed crew.

The problem with these approaches is they require a very high level of trust and have a very, very low tolerance for variance. Miss a turn, cast the wrong blade, fizzle your stun or your hit - the cheats and wasted time you hoped to avoid, will happen anyway.

The burned out, skeptical player will see this as evidence the strategy doesn't work, and possibly leave right then and there. But of those players who trained with us and completed Tartarus in 25 minutes or Graveyard in 38 minutes, they are fast believers.

That said, if it seems this level of dedicated specialization will be the future of main storyline dungeons, I would probably quit. It's not fun! It's tedious, and puts a strain on my relationships with my game friends.

As for "the game must get harder" no. The game could shift focus significantly without continuing on its trajectory of time sink + frustration tolerance.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3172
crunkatog on Mar 13, 2015 wrote:
I've been trying to teach new folks the shortcuts and strategies for team Darkmoor speed runs whenever I can. Most people are simply not receptive because they have lost their trust. They are too used to Drill Sgt Loudmouth shouting at them without reason. Too used to one or more players giving up and fleeing the dungeon for good after the first cheats come out. Too used to groups who don't talk to each other and do whatever they feel like.

When a game instance creates this much negativity and mistrust, it's time to re-evaluate the instance, not the players.

Most of the "elite teams" are composed of ordinary working adults and students, folks who KNOW they will not have 4+ hours just to run a single dungeon. They work together inside the game and sometimes outside of it as well, sharing strategies, treasure cards, observations, and "build orders" to minimize the time needed to complete. And I've been a part of one since Tartarus went live, logging hundreds of Hades runs and probably about 75 Darkmoor runs with the speed crew.

The problem with these approaches is they require a very high level of trust and have a very, very low tolerance for variance. Miss a turn, cast the wrong blade, fizzle your stun or your hit - the cheats and wasted time you hoped to avoid, will happen anyway.

The burned out, skeptical player will see this as evidence the strategy doesn't work, and possibly leave right then and there. But of those players who trained with us and completed Tartarus in 25 minutes or Graveyard in 38 minutes, they are fast believers.

That said, if it seems this level of dedicated specialization will be the future of main storyline dungeons, I would probably quit. It's not fun! It's tedious, and puts a strain on my relationships with my game friends.

As for "the game must get harder" no. The game could shift focus significantly without continuing on its trajectory of time sink + frustration tolerance.
this is very well-said, and i agree with you a thousand percent.

there is a big difference between someone who leads and someone who barks orders. i will listen to the former, because that person obviously knows what s/he is doing and is acting in the highest good of the group, not just in her own self-interest. if i believe that the person beside me can end it the quickest, then you can bet your bacon that i will help her do it.

if i end up in a group with an obnoxious person who barks orders, i will threaten to flee (even though i have never done so and have no intention of ever doing that). just the thought of their support/healer leaving them in the middle of a slogfest is usually enough to put that person in her place.

if you have the 'right' team, anything is possible. i have a select few questing buddies i trust to not get me killed or drag the instance out longer than it needs to be: but our time-zones are so far apart that seeing them in-game is a rare occurrence, and we have to plan any meetups several weeks in advance.

i once did tartarus with my best in-game friend, whom i have known for almost 3 years. i have played with her enough times that i know what her strategies are, and we completed the whole thing in about 45 minutes. but not everyone has access to the 'right' team: friends they trust and play with regularly. as for me, i am usually stuck relying on team up, which is ultimately just frustrating and unproductive.

(i try not to be the person who barks orders, but it's hard when people are obviously triggering cheats and i just want out of there asap)

no game is worth sabotaging my friendships for. therefore, i agree with you that it is the instance that needs rethinking, not the players.

-von

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
613
crunkatog on Mar 13, 2015 wrote:
I've been trying to teach new folks the shortcuts and strategies for team Darkmoor speed runs whenever I can. Most people are simply not receptive because they have lost their trust. They are too used to Drill Sgt Loudmouth shouting at them without reason. Too used to one or more players giving up and fleeing the dungeon for good after the first cheats come out. Too used to groups who don't talk to each other and do whatever they feel like.

When a game instance creates this much negativity and mistrust, it's time to re-evaluate the instance, not the players.

Most of the "elite teams" are composed of ordinary working adults and students, folks who KNOW they will not have 4+ hours just to run a single dungeon. They work together inside the game and sometimes outside of it as well, sharing strategies, treasure cards, observations, and "build orders" to minimize the time needed to complete. And I've been a part of one since Tartarus went live, logging hundreds of Hades runs and probably about 75 Darkmoor runs with the speed crew.

The problem with these approaches is they require a very high level of trust and have a very, very low tolerance for variance. Miss a turn, cast the wrong blade, fizzle your stun or your hit - the cheats and wasted time you hoped to avoid, will happen anyway.

The burned out, skeptical player will see this as evidence the strategy doesn't work, and possibly leave right then and there. But of those players who trained with us and completed Tartarus in 25 minutes or Graveyard in 38 minutes, they are fast believers.

That said, if it seems this level of dedicated specialization will be the future of main storyline dungeons, I would probably quit. It's not fun! It's tedious, and puts a strain on my relationships with my game friends.

As for "the game must get harder" no. The game could shift focus significantly without continuing on its trajectory of time sink + frustration tolerance.
That's pretty much it. I don't have crews, or even just one crew anymore. I lost them in Azteca. I am more than capable of completing the dungeons with people, but I didn't keep up with them.

I just did Tower of the Helephant a couple of nights ago with 2 of my wizards. I did it alone. It's unfortunate that Darkmoor is probably going to be the same for me in a year or two from now, when my wizards are around level 120.

I don't know if it's good or bad, but by then the gear will likely be obsolete. Bad because I'll have finished the following worlds without it when I probably could have used it, but good because I won't waste my time farming it over and over again. Like Tower of the Helephant, the two wizards I just completed it with are only going to do it that once because they don't need the ring or athame anymore.

But I've lost the will to find new friends to quest with and do these dungeons with. I've just become really turned off of all these instances with cheating bosses where you need drill sergeants barking orders at you all the time. I have more fun at work than I do playing these dungeons. Seems silly to me to pay for a game that annoys the heck out of me when I could be at work getting paid to have fun with friends.