Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice spells aren't being strong?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2010
1
I am a level 50 wizard currently in dragonspyre and I really can't defend bosses by myself. My second school is life and third is death. I also have balance up to reshuffle. I don't find my wizard powerful enough. maybe it's because I don't have much blades but I don't know how to earn them. I really need help in making my wizard strong. Also, what in what level do I get to use moon, star and sun spells?

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
171
angelica121103 on Jul 12, 2013 wrote:
I am a level 50 wizard currently in dragonspyre and I really can't defend bosses by myself. My second school is life and third is death. I also have balance up to reshuffle. I don't find my wizard powerful enough. maybe it's because I don't have much blades but I don't know how to earn them. I really need help in making my wizard strong. Also, what in what level do I get to use moon, star and sun spells?
You get to use them at level 50, but you need Celestia to get them. Use all your blades. Put them in your deck. Use traps, too. Those are extremely important for any wizard, especially Ice. Use treasure cards, too. Fill your treasure card part with mostly life healing tc's, because you'll need them if you're about to die. I know most people say to get a friend, but that isn't true. If you spend your time asking all your friends to help; no one will reply on purpose (I find that very annoying), and then you have to get off the computer because your mom or dad tells you that you've been on for too long, or you have to leave the house (etc.) at the end of a dungeon. KI doesn't know it, but happens all the time to everyone. I get the worst of it, because I have to leave the house for the rest of the day like three random days of the week. In fact, I'm not even home right now. Don't fill your deck with silly frost beetles or evil snowmen, use your most powerful ones like Ice Wyvern, Frost Giant, Blizzard, Ice Armors, Frostbites (etc.). Hope this helps!

-Nathaniel Redflame level 46

P.S. You're very lucky to be level 50 in dragonspyre. That is when most people end, and I'm level 46 fire. I have less health then anybody I know! You're lucky to have that much health. Sure your attacks aren't strong, but you can at least buff them!

Defender
Aug 26, 2011
158
angelica121103 on Jul 12, 2013 wrote:
I am a level 50 wizard currently in dragonspyre and I really can't defend bosses by myself. My second school is life and third is death. I also have balance up to reshuffle. I don't find my wizard powerful enough. maybe it's because I don't have much blades but I don't know how to earn them. I really need help in making my wizard strong. Also, what in what level do I get to use moon, star and sun spells?
it would help if you told us what school you are, if you can tell me this maybe i can help

Gabriel ashcaller
P.S. you start astral spells at 50 in celestia

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
Gabriel 1 savage p... on Jul 13, 2013 wrote:
it would help if you told us what school you are, if you can tell me this maybe i can help

Gabriel ashcaller
P.S. you start astral spells at 50 in celestia
ICE... that's the name of the thread.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
angelica121103 on Jul 12, 2013 wrote:
I am a level 50 wizard currently in dragonspyre and I really can't defend bosses by myself. My second school is life and third is death. I also have balance up to reshuffle. I don't find my wizard powerful enough. maybe it's because I don't have much blades but I don't know how to earn them. I really need help in making my wizard strong. Also, what in what level do I get to use moon, star and sun spells?
You should have trained the elemental blades/traps in Krok. You have your ice trap and blade. Use them. The balance ones stack with yours, meaning your 30% ice trap cast with a 25% elemental trap - 55% more damage. Ice can be very powerful, you just have to figure it all out.

the astral spells are available beginning in Celestia. Only keep life in your deck for the sprite unless you are battling a death boss. it's a waste of time/pips. Stick with your Ice spells. and use your minion.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2161
Gabriel 1 savage p... on Jul 13, 2013 wrote:
it would help if you told us what school you are, if you can tell me this maybe i can help

Gabriel ashcaller
P.S. you start astral spells at 50 in celestia
I am guessing she is Ice from the topic Title, but to have trained 4 more schools on top of that, isn't leaving her training points to start training any of the Astrals. Point being, that if you want the best Astrals as you progress, you have to train all others before the most useful ones are available to you.

IE: if you want to have Colossal, you have to start from giant and train all of them up to Colossal. The same is true for gaining access of Extraordinary. You may want to go back and rethink your secondary schools before progressing any further as far as spending training points. I know what it cost me to buy back my training points when I chose to switch my secondary from fire to death so just to get an idea, go see Mr. Lincoln in Golem Court. He can still tell you the cost in crowns whether you accept the buy back or not. You can even check this out in test realm.

Explorer
Jun 20, 2013
61
You get to use astral spells at level 50+ in Celestia and I know ice spells are weak but making up for that ice wizards resistance is op

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
2636
angelica121103 on Jul 12, 2013 wrote:
I am a level 50 wizard currently in dragonspyre and I really can't defend bosses by myself. My second school is life and third is death. I also have balance up to reshuffle. I don't find my wizard powerful enough. maybe it's because I don't have much blades but I don't know how to earn them. I really need help in making my wizard strong. Also, what in what level do I get to use moon, star and sun spells?
Altho you can keep Reshuffle for your mob deck and if you have death to Feint for your boss deck, the rest of out of school spells are not worth wasting your power pips on. Keep in mind 2 power pips only count as one for out of school spells unless you have that schools amulet on. You do have the Tower shield from your school to put on your self for basic defense. Gear for your level is very important to increase your power pip chance and give you extra health and damage, I shop the Bazaar for that. You can visit Niles in Krockatopia and get the tri blade which also helps, if your training points are low you can pass on the trap. If you have/buy Tough or Giant treasure cards they can be added to your schools spells for a boost too.

I find that if I figure what amount of spells in my deck it takes to defeat the monsters in the area and slim my deck down to that it helps. I make up 2 decks in DS, one for general mobs and one for boss battles, I add treasure cards in the sideboard for extras. Waiting and discarding leaves you an open target, it's wise not to sit there while your enemy gains pips for higher spells. Ice has the advantage of being the highest health school use this to your advantage while you build up attack, there is a reason why they are nick named the tank. Having a pet with Spritely has done well for me. I am also lucky to have had a Life wizard complete the crafting through Seal of the Seven Seas and I do the crafted gear in Wintertusk which can be used at level 56. I have no luck with WaterWorks and it ends up being very disappointing having to run it time after time.

If you know someone with access to Celestia Base Camp, you can port to them for the Sun spells which help boost your school spells. You do not have to take the Accuracy ones to progress with them.

In the end DS is the divider line between easy play to I better get it together play - it only gets more difficult from here on in so you need to take some time to buff your wizard up a bit now. Altho I have soloed most of the game with my first wizard a life, I found Ice and Death probably are the easiest to do it with if geared and set up properly.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2011
7
I don't clearly remember how i've passed Celestia. I just remember that the last time i completed it, on my balance, it was mostly by myself. Treasure cards will be really useful in Cl.
You should pack up hundreds of monstrous treasure cards, it's the best you can afford since even gargantuan treasure cards are restricted to level 50. If you don't find them in the bazaar, get them from the archivist, the treasure card seller in Celestia in the District of the Stars. If you cannot get there at your level, find a friend to help you get there. You also will need gear that can block criticals, you can get killed from any boss in Celestia, most of them do critical. And also make sure to train tough, giant, monstrous in the Sun astral school.

Ryan StormRider Level 90

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
3
I'm a Lvl 90 Ice wizard, and I have to tell you people that ice is a tricky school to master. Tower shields are amazing, and I urge you to put four or five of them in your deck at all times. You also have to tailor your deck to your enemy. If you're fighting an ice enemy, take out your DoT spells and stick in some prisms and steal wards. A pet that heals is also very important if you intend to solo bosses. Gear is a major issue in Ice, because more often then not ice gets some robes with very questionable stats. Make sure that you choose gear that reflects your battle style (universal resist if you're the type that hangs back and powers up, attack and crit if you prefer to charge ahead, etc.)

I also have to tell you that ice gets a lot easier after Celestia. At my level, I can kill almost every monster in Zafaria with just star and sun spells with a blizzard.

Enjoy your Ice wizard

-Daniel Swiftbreeze

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
7
Since you're in Dragonspyre, I'll try not to go beyond that world (Celestia+). You're level 50, so you should have 11 training points by that level. Each training point at levels 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50. Plus 1 from the enrollment quest from Merle Ambrose and Prospector Zeke's quests in each world (WC, KT, MB, MS, GH, and WS) you should have 7 extra. You have 18 training points to spend. I recommend learning Life to Satyr and Death to Feint, not beyond. All of that together cost 14 training points and 4 left. You can buy the elemental trap and elemental blade from Niles the balance tree in KT on Krokosphinx. And one spent on reshuffle, you should have one training point left (spend wisely). I recommend saving it once you get to Celestia.

You could buy elemental traps and elemental blade tc from Harold Argleston in the Wizard City library. In the bazaar you could buy any enchant spell tc that increases your spells power, and amplify (star spell). Since feint and ice blade tc aren't always available in the bazaar, some plants drop them. You can buy the amulet, Jewel of the Feint, at your level that can be dropped or bought in the bazaar.

You could even have a pet that have the talent Ice-Giver, Pain-Giver or even better, BOTH! I solo a lot on my ice. I hoped this helped!

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
333
Since the Avalon immunity scandal has died down, I believe the new crafted gear in Aquila has caught the attention of me and others. Do I need to say anymore then just 90 resist without a SPUD? Ok. And if you say "pierce and coverts" you are very wrong. Stacking pierce would not even scratch. Let's stack tc infallable: still 70 resist. Pierce blade: 60 resist. Elemental pierce: THAT IS STILL 50 RESIST. This was meant to be a new subject.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2010
12
You do already have strong ice spells plus the level 58 and level 68 school quests are great spells to use for your ice wizard. I understand how you feel since the colossus and ice giant both are weak imo but you will get better spells for bosses and difficult quests. And also the sun spells helps a lot which you get access to in Celestia.

Happy wizarding,

Nicholas IceCaster Archmage Thaumaturge

Survivor
Jul 05, 2010
12
Yeah ice spells tend to be weak when you are around level 50. But dont worry because the level 58 and level 68 spell quest are great! Also once you get in to celestia you can get the sun spellls (enchant) and then you will see that ice can too be powerful during your quests.

Happy wizarding,

Nicholas IceCaster Archmage Thaumaturge

Defender
Aug 08, 2012
142
I know for a fact that Ice is the weakest school. Also it's my secondary school.

Jasmine Rainbowdreamer level 46

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
925
Ice has lots of issues until their global resist starts to matter - when it hits the double digit range and they also pick up the high pip percent rings and athames in CL.

At least that's how it seems to me. I can't play Ice for very long before getting really frustrated, but I have it on good authority it gets better once you get to WT/CL.

Mastermind
Feb 06, 2010
305
Ok you can defend yourself pretty well if you play it super smart. If I were ice here would be my training point situation:
Possibly life to satyr?
Death to feint
Go to krok and learn elemental blade and trap from Niles.
That house super close to Mindy pixiecrown in colossus boulevard has a trainer who trains reshuffle (VERY useful)
Now Deck situation:
Only a few cards and reshuffle (Frostbite, 2 or 3 blades and traps, best damage spell 2 times, ice armor. tower shield, minion, balefrost blizzard.)
This part changes a lot depending on who your facing and level.
This is silimar to my death's situation and my balance's situation

Defender
Aug 26, 2011
158
RavenLady777 on Jul 13, 2013 wrote:
ICE... that's the name of the thread.
i feel sooooooo dumb. ty ravenlady. sooo for ice i would use as many tower shield as you can fit. and use both blades. so i looked it up and figured it out, balance (my school) does on average only 5 damage more and with our lousy blades... well we can be weak. but a level 50 in ds? you should have no trouble. you just need to have a little more of a strategy probably. use frostbite! and wyvern? maybe. bite is good though. also, volcanic (is it volcanic? the ice one.) shield stops the two hardest hitting schools in the game (fire, storm) so use those. and for gear. pretty much the highest universal resist you can get, ice is a defensive school. so resist will keep you from dying a lot.

Gabriel Ashcaller level 71 sorcerer
"when the judge appears, may it deem your opponent guilty."

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
403
You get astral spells in celestia.
I am a promethean balance wizard, if you want my advice train sun damage spells. Never train moon spells.