Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hiya! Any Tips?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 30, 2013
Hello! I am Victoria, a level 13 in Krokotopia.
I just recently started playing Wizard101, though I have a max Witchdoctor and a lvl 53 Buccaneer in Pirate101.

So I was wondering, does anyone have any tips that they would have liked to known when they were starting the game?

Thanks!

-Victoria, Lvl 13

Explorer
Jan 02, 2011
Hi there! Welcome to Wizard101!

First, woah how did you get so many charms? Do your Pirate101 charms carry over or something Interesting.

Anyways... My tip is that you just try playing with a friend until you get the spell, "Scarecrow." I believe that will be your first AOE (Attack on everyone) spell. That will make questing much easier for you.

Good luck!
Jack Legend

Explorer
Oct 27, 2017
Survivor
Mar 21, 2013
Hey there! I also am working on a death wizard, and one of the most important things is to always stack blades and traps in order to deal enough damage to finish an enemy, don't chip away at their health. Also, if you get into a pickle and can't pass something, try using the team up function for dungeons.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2015
I have a maxed level death wizard and honestly the best route for death would probably to do as many side quests as possible up to at least Mooshu. Doing all the side quests massively helped me level up and become a lot more powerful in the early game. Use your blades and traps accordingly as well. When you get to the Balance School mid Krokotopia, talk to the Balance Tree Niles. Get yourself Spirit Trap and Spirit Blade, they will massively help. Also, when you get the option to go to Grizzlehiem, go there and beat it then go back to Krokotopia. You will have a massive level boost.
For Combat tips, if you have extra training points after getting Spirit Trap. Go get Sprite from the life school. It is extremely cheap only costing one pip. The amount it heals is also good for early game and heals you over three rounds.
Gear Tips, Increase your Health, Damage, and Power Pip chance. Focus mainly on Health and Damage, this will give you time to blade while you are tanking hits then attack recovering all you lost (or most).

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Sure, consider the following:

Do Sides - Do the side quests! If you can't bother to do them all, at least do the ones granting you training points (such as Zeke's Quests) and spells (quite a few spells require you to do side quests and worlds). So, it's imperative you don't just skip over these.

Keep Two Decks - Keep a small deck with basic hits for mobs. This prevents you from fishing through cards just to get a simply 4 minute battle over with to that of a 10 minute one due to discarding and passing.

Train Ice Up To Tower Shield - Since death are relatively weak in defenses and the constant trap using Feint (spell learned at level 26) puts around you, knowing tower shield can prove very useful. Especially since you probably don't know any elemental shields!

Read Advice From The Message Boards - You're already kinda doing this, but I implore you to continue down this route! :D

Hold Your Head Up High - The climate over here on Wizard is different from that of Pirates. While on Wiz, there are nice persons, there are also many trolls, attention seekers, etc. Avoid these people or getting into their antics and hold your head up high!

Be A Team Player - Always helps.

Listen Dworgyn - Listen to Dworgyn when he pops up in the game and/or here on the message boards! Do his quests.

Pet - Try to gain a good pet that will assist you in questing. One providing resistances is a good start.

A little off topic, but make a Swashbuckler on Pirates, I promise you won't regret it :D

Good Luck!

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
Spend your training points wisely. You don't need much as death, learn ice to tower shield, then save up for the astral schools when you hit Celestia. You'll also want to pick up the tri spirit blade and trap in Krokotopia as well as the reshuffle spell in Colossus Blvd.

Smaller decks are better than bigger decks. You don't need to fill up your deck. Take the essentials for your fight so that you are more likely to get the cards you need, when you need them. That way you are not taking extra damage because you need to pass cards to get to what you need. Its a good idea to have more than one deck so you don't have to change it for every fight.

Don't be afraid to look up guides. They are a big help. Especially in the later worlds with bosses that cheat. You'll need them to help you build a strategy.

As death the early levels can get rough. Once you learn Scarecrow it gets a lot easier as this spell hits all enemies and heals you. Its a good idea to buy treasure cards of this spell while you wait to learn it at, I think level 48.

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
A few tips I would have liked to know when I was working on my death:

1. Secondary schools aren't actually a thing, you only train up to a certain point in a single school. In death's case it's ice to tower.

2. Having higher damage means nothing if you're sacrificing health boosts from it. My death wizard didn't hit 1000 health until Mooshu because I was so concerned about one shotting my enemies (when my drain spells would have had me covered if I didn't kill them right away). EDIT: I was talking about stat boosts from gear when I was talking about this. Forgot to mention, sorry!

3. Use scarecrow tcs, because you won't see them until level 48 and it is a paaaaainful 48 levels.

4. Crafting is practically mandatory for death because of deer knight so start crafting now so you don't have to take 3 hours of your play time trying to catch up to crafting like I had to do (those diamonds were awful )

Good luck!

Survivor
Jan 30, 2013
Thank you for all the wonderful advice!

@ Jack the legend: Yes, Charms do carry from Pirate to Wizard.

@ Destroyyou321: Thank you for the tip, and I am only doing side quests that stack.

@ M4 Sherman: I always do! Thank you for helping me confirm this is the right thing to do :)

@ Gallaer: I do side quests that stack, and really easy ones, but I am buying membership, so I want to go fast. ( Don't worry, I still listen to what the NPCs say!)

@ Star Edward: 1. As I said up there ^ I do stackable side quests, and have done the Wizard City Zeke Quest. Thank you for advising me to do more, I certainly will!
2. I didn't know I could separate cards into decks like that. Thank you!
3. Ok, awesome!
4. Sure will!
5. Pirates still has those type of people, but I have noticed it is worse on Wizard. I certainly will :)
6. I normally always do team up, to see if anyone else needs help, and also because it is easier :P
7. Ok.
8. Could you elaborate on this? I have found Wizard training more difficult than Pirate training in terms of pets. How do I get a good pet? My current pet gives me a balance card ( 30% + rough)
9. Not at all, I love talking about Pirate! I have started a Swash. I have a lvl. 70 Witch, 53 Buccaneer, 41 Privateer, 11 Musk and a 5 Swash. 9 I only play on the Swash with my friend, so it is taking a while.

@ Heuna:
1. Ok.
2. WiIl look into that!
3. Ok! Thank you very much for that tip!
4. I haven't had difficulty with my yet. I am stacking buffs though, and normally fight with others. Thanks!

@That Grumpy Panda:
1.Cool. I just want to get a few more opinions on this, but thank you very much!
2.I am already at 1,100 health at lvl 15, is that good?
3. Ok, and where would I buy those btw? Bazaar?
4. What is deer knight?

Thank you everyone!
One other question!!

What is the best secondary class for a death wizard?

- Victoria

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I refrained from replying earlier as you were asking questions pertaining to the Death School and as life Wizard I don't have much advice. Now that you have asked some more general questions...

Pets, yes pets are much harder to train in W101 compared to P101 given that it takes time and energy on YOUR part as opposed to just sending your pet off to school. As to what is the best pet for a Death Wizard, I will defer to others. Something else is that you won't know exactly what talents your pet will get until you actually do, do the training.

Secondary School, forget that all together. You'll want to train Ice until you get the Tower Shield, you'll want the Reshuffle from the secret trainer on Colossus Blvd (level 20) and you'll want some attacks from a different school to help you deal with high resist rates of Death Bosses. I do recommend that you get the Mastery Amulet for the other school you pick as power pips will come in handy. Ice if you have already planned to train up to tower shield anyway.

Scarecrow Treasure cards.You can try to find them in the Bazaar. They are sold by vendors (alas the first available vendor is located in Azteca and you're a long ways from there. You can also get them from gardening. (specifically Deadly Fly Trap, Deadly Helefunt Ears, and Rotten Beets). Though Gardening uses the same energy that pet training does.

One other piece of advice. Do the Gravulum daily quest as you will get free crowns, arena tickets and other cool rewards for doing them. I would also STRONGLY recommend doing Monstrology. The ability to summon helpful minions as an added benefit to fighting solo.

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The Stalwart Queen on Jan 10, 2018 wrote:

@ Destroyyou321: Thank you for the tip, and I am only doing side quests that stack.

@ M4 Sherman: I always do! Thank you for helping me confirm this is the right thing to do :)

@ Gallaer: I do side quests that stack, and really easy ones, but I am buying membership, so I want to go fast. ( Don't worry, I still listen to what the NPCs say!)

@ Star Edward: 1. As I said up there ^ I do stackable side quests, and have done the Wizard City Zeke Quest. Thank you for advising me to do more, I certainly will!
3. Ok, awesome!
4. Sure will!
5. Pirates still has those type of people, but I have noticed it is worse on Wizard. I certainly will :)
6. I normally always do team up, to see if anyone else needs help, and also because it is easier :P
7. Ok.
8. Could you elaborate on this? I have found Wizard training more difficult than Pirate training in terms of pets. How do I get a good pet? My current pet gives me a balance card ( 30% + rough)
9. Not at all, I love talking about Pirate! I have started a Swash. I have a lvl. 70 Witch, 53 Buccaneer, 41 Privateer, 11 Musk and a 5 Swash. 9 I only play on the Swash with my friend, so it is taking a while.

@ Heuna:
1. Ok.
2. WiIl look into that!
4. I haven't had difficulty with my yet. I am stacking buffs though, and normally fight with others. Thanks!

@That Grumpy Panda:
1.Cool. I just want to get a few more opinions on this, but thank you very much!
4. What is deer knight?

Thank you everyone!
One other question!!

- Victoria
Lol,

I like how you sequentially just responded to all of us with one post :P

But, to answer your query about a second school for death.

I would suggest you exercise caution when using training points. Similarly to Pirates, you don't just want to pour them all out into one school with an aim to learn the last spell (which I guarantee you will be useless).

Instead, you use them over a wide range of schools to get more useful spells. That being said:

- Train up to Tower Shield - Death lacks defenses, this spell will help to cover you better.

- Learn the Spiritual Blade (only) from the balance tree in Krokotopia (will be unlocked eventually).

- In Celestia (another world), learn the spells (Amplify and Fortify). Vengance is optional, I don't learn it on any of my wizards as post critical update, the spell seems useless. Avoid Conviction as well.

- Learn the damage enchanting spells from the .

I'll also Grumpy Grandpa to elaborate more on what Deer Knight is but it's basically a 5 Pip AoE and DoT (Damage Over Time) Spell. Very useful!

What I will comment on is what you asked.

Pet training over here on Wiz is in short, a very time-consuming, brutal, antagonizing and stressful process. There's no fun in it. Unlike Pirates where you pretty much don't have to do much in training your pet (just select a game and that's it). Here, the points obtained from games is considerable lower, training actually requires you to play the game and getting mega pack snacks can be difficult if you don't garden to expedite the training process.
P101 also allows you to train your pet from anywhere, in Wiz, you've to go to the actual training grounds (Pet Pavilion) to get this done.

Post if you've anymore queries. We're here to help :D

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
The Stalwart Queen on Jan 10, 2018 wrote:

3. Ok, awesome!
4. Sure will!
7. Ok.

@ Heuna:
1. Ok.
2. WiIl look into that!

@That Grumpy Panda:
4. What is deer knight?

Thank you everyone!
One other question!!

- Victoria
2. Yep that seems good!

3. You could get them at the bazaar, but I'm pretty sure there are plants that drop them. But since gardening takes a while, I suggest you just buy them at the bazaar.

4. Deer knight is basically what Star Edward said, but I say it's almost necessary for a death wizard to have for one big reason: the Death school only has 2 AOE spells we can get by just questing alone, that being Scarecrow and Call of Khrulhu (Lulu, for short). Scarecrow has a 7 pip cost and Lulu needs 5 pips AND a shadow pip to work, and those can be pretty sporadic, so it's pretty difficult to farm anything. The gap between these two spells are pretty big as well. You get scarecrow at level 48 and you get Lulu at level 100, and it requires you to complete part 2 of Darkmoor.

And since scarecrow and Lulu are drain spells, the sun spells don't enchant them like "normal" spells. The sun spell will only take two-thirds of the enchanted damage and add on to the spell, and the other third goes to the healing part of the drain spell (I believe this aspect is so the healing part is also boosted, not just the damage part and the two-thirds/one-third divide would keep it even).

Deer knight, on the other hand, focuses more on pure damage. Since it's a AOE/DOT hybrid, the card enchants are split in half, one-half going to the base damage and the other half going to the DOT damage, so no damage is really lost. The low pip cost means you can just use a single blade and cast deer knight the next round while farming.

Not to mention that it's still pretty powerful in the later levels. Heck, I barely used Lulu for mob fights in Empyrea, I mostly used Deer knight the whole way! It's a pretty awesome spell to look at as well.

So yeah, low pip spell that's really powerful despite the low cost and really cool looking. You need to have Legendary Artisan in crafting and have access to the Wyrd in Avalon however, so it'll take a while to get it. Here's the recipe in the mean time.

Good luck!

Survivor
Jan 30, 2013
Thank you for each and every one of you answering questions! I hope I see you in the Spiral! I use team up a lot in Krokotopia and my name is Victoria if you ever want to meet up, that is a good way to find me.
See ya!

-Victoria -

Survivor
Jan 30, 2013
I still can't find Deer Knight? I apologize, but could someone explain to me how to get this? Thanks!
-Victoria

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
The Stalwart Queen on Jan 13, 2018 wrote:
I still can't find Deer Knight? I apologize, but could someone explain to me how to get this? Thanks!
-Victoria
There's five ways to get Deer Knight, actually. I call each of them "The Long Way", "The Insane Way", "The Expensive Way", "The Jewel Way", and "The Lucky Genes Way".

The Long Way: Get your crafting level to Legendary Artisan, defeat the Indigo Giant (about halfway through Avalon), get the recipe from Grady, craft it after getting all the reagents.

The Insane Way: The Loremaster is a boss in Dragonspyre that has all of the lore spells. Farming her means you have a chance of getting the deer knight spell.....and about 16 other spells. So you could spend days farming her and end up getting Winter Moon.

The Expensive Way: The Knight's Lore pack has a chance of dropping the Deer Knight spell, but it's ultra rare. Just being blunt, I wouldn't recommend this unless you're filthy stinkin' rich.

The Jewel Way: There's a triangle jewel that gives you a Deer Knight card. I actually got one from Spike the Crusher while farming for his death robe (I remember actually being kind of mad that I got it, only because I got it without even trying and before getting the jacket).

The Lucky Genes Way: Hatch with a pet that has the "The Deer Knight Rises" trait (I swear KI saw the opportunity and they ran to the hills with it). Seeing how it takes people 20 hatches to get the perfect triple double pet with 11% dealer, it's gonna be kind of tough.

So yeah, getting deer knight is not easy. Pick your poison wisely ;).

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The Stalwart Queen on Jan 13, 2018 wrote:
-Victoria
Why are you apologizing?

Remember, we don't mind helping.

Now, they're three ways in which you can learn the spell.

• Drop from The Loremaster in The Atheneum, Dragonspyre - Will require farming and you teaming up.
  • Drop from The Knight's Lore Pack - Don't count on this because it seems the chances of the spell dropping is lower than 1%.
  • Crafting - The more coveted route. - The recipe is not available until you've access to Avalon (World following Zafaria). In addition to unlocking here, you'll need to be at least "Legendary Artisan" in crafting level and have access to The Wyrd (Area in Avalon). The person who sells the recipe (Grady) will only appear after the boss (Indigo Giant) is defeated. - Note as well that one can't simply port in to buy the recipe, you must be involved in the fight when the battle is over.

In the meantime though, treasures are available at Bazaar (which is a part of the Crafting Recipe) in case you want to test/try the spell out.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2015
There are three ways to get Deer Knight. One is from farming The Loremaster in Dragonspyre. Another is through getting the crafting recipes in Avalon. The last is through spam openning the Knight's Lore Pack in the crown shop. There is another spell though called Lord of Night. Its gotten the same way but in the Shaman's Lore Pack.
Good luck.
Sarai Lv 125
Erin Lv 16

Survivor
Jan 30, 2013
@ ThatGrumpyPanda: Thank you for the detailed instructions! I think I will wait for The Long Way, may do a few of The Insane Way, and look out for The Jewel Way!

@ Star Edward: I just don't want to be a bother. Thank you!

@Gallaer: Ok, awesome! Thank you for the tips

Hope to see you in the spiral!
-Victoria Lvl 20

Survivor
Nov 29, 2014
In Wizard there aren't that many tips to get "better" at the game. It all depends how you play and if you make the right choices or not. Though there are a few things you can keep in the back of your head to remember you do which can pull you the extra way.

- Make Sure you Craft later in the game some of best armor for later levels are from Crafting

- Don't train all you points into a "secondary" class this might be good earlier in the game but later it's gonna come back to haunt you though don't worry if you already did though every once in a while KI has a free training point buy back thing. What you should do with your training points is get things like Satyr, Tower Shield, and Feint then you can focus on getting other spells.

- Later in the Game resistances to spells can really punch you back a lot of newer players don't know that using that classes "opposite" class can end up doing more damage, because of this if you facing a opponent opposite of your class make sure you put prisms in your deck. The Class who are weak against each other are... Fire and Ice, Life and Death, Myth and Storm, and balance doesn't have any.

- Now you don't have to think of this in the beginning of the game but later in the game a Good Pet can really pull you through a tough battle. Just make sure you hatch a lot and make sure the pet benefits your class

- Now the last one is somewhat telling you what gear you should get level 1-30 just get gear from the Bazaar at level 30 get the Mount Olympus Zeus set (Senators is fine but I recommend Zeus cause it's better) then you can get more bazaar later but I keep Mount Olympus gear till 60 and then Get Waterworks (Or Upside down Pyramid, I think that's what it's called) then some people craft then get the best end game gear for you

Well I hoped this helped you getting the extra edge in Wizard101. Wizard101 and Pirate101 are very different and so tips that Pirate101 has Doesn't always apply to Wizard101

-You Wizard Friend