Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bullying???

AuthorMessage
Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
frostednutella on Sep 18, 2016 wrote:
Noob is way more of an insult though and its just annoying to see it around, many people complain about it being used rudely and if people are complaining about this a lot then KingsIsle should ban the word.
Not really. Being called a noob is really no different at all. Both noob and child are dismissive as being inexperienced. Stop worrying so much about what total strangers are saying. Click ignore and they are gone. The ignore button is there for this reason. If someone is disrupting your gameplay, 'ignore' them and the problem literally goes away. There's no need for censorship when you already have the ultimate 'shut up & go away' button built into the game already. You click ignore and that person disappears forever from your game.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1027
frostednutella on Aug 28, 2016 wrote:
The people who do this are very annoying immature little kids who think they have all the power because no one can touch them over the internet. Ignoring them doesn't even solve the issue because these people are still out there. People shouldn't be able to get away with this and I really think there should be kingsisle workers sitting in each realm in every popular area moderating what these kids are saying. If kingsisle really wants their game kid friendly, they have to try harder and put more of an effort into it. If people are getting insulted by the words like "noob" then this word should be filtered out. Getting rid of that word won't hurt anyone. If someone really wants to call someone a noob then use the word "newbie" which in my opinion seems a little less hateful.
I agree!!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1027
Bullying is not going to stop. Ignoring won't solve the problem. There'll always be someone to belittle and trample over because they think they're king like and cool. I feel those who can't play nice and get along shouldn't play this game. My point is this is an entertainment game for all ages to enjoy and be secured not someone's punching bag. Ignore and Report!! That's the only way to keep bullying to the minimum.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
577
seethe42 on Sep 19, 2016 wrote:
Not really. Being called a noob is really no different at all. Both noob and child are dismissive as being inexperienced. Stop worrying so much about what total strangers are saying. Click ignore and they are gone. The ignore button is there for this reason. If someone is disrupting your gameplay, 'ignore' them and the problem literally goes away. There's no need for censorship when you already have the ultimate 'shut up & go away' button built into the game already. You click ignore and that person disappears forever from your game.
Obviously you did not read a previous post I have therefore your argument is invalid. I have already addressed everything you are talking about and I won't repeat it again like I did in my last post.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2168
Liam Wyrmhammer on Sep 7, 2016 wrote:
Please report anyone acting like a jerk to you. They'll get restricted to Menu Chat and either learn their lesson or quit W101. in either case, everyone else's game experience will improve.
Before you start reporting people who are acting as a jerk or general bullying, you might want to read what is considered as a REPORTABLE offense. Falsely reporting players is also not accepted.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/i-got-reported-28843?page=1

Delver
May 12, 2012
224
frostednutella on Aug 28, 2016 wrote:
The people who do this are very annoying immature little kids who think they have all the power because no one can touch them over the internet. Ignoring them doesn't even solve the issue because these people are still out there. People shouldn't be able to get away with this and I really think there should be kingsisle workers sitting in each realm in every popular area moderating what these kids are saying. If kingsisle really wants their game kid friendly, they have to try harder and put more of an effort into it. If people are getting insulted by the words like "noob" then this word should be filtered out. Getting rid of that word won't hurt anyone. If someone really wants to call someone a noob then use the word "newbie" which in my opinion seems a little less hateful.
I totally agree. But, not all of them are "kids," unless you would call kids 16-18 year olds. Newbie is a great alternative word, too.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2011
29
Leiylan on Jul 30, 2016 wrote:
I don't see many topics like this, and I am here to add one I guess???

I used to be new to w101, and people were SO cruel. I personally think the word noob should be banned, as it is WAAAAY overused. About a month or 2 ago I was getting my new armor dyed and two people began telling me how ugly I looked, and how I was "looking bad". I felt nothing at the moment, but i'm sure others have felt this pain. Its horrible how cruel people are. I ran a test and made a new character, and I went to greet people and I was called "Ugly, Ew, 'throw a ball at it'" And one girl even said "The noobs come out at night" Since it was nearly midnight when I ran the test. Its horrible. I even have a few trust issues due to this. People dont understand how cruel their words truly are, and how deep they hit. They think because they are safe behind a screen that the victim can't do anything. They can. They can kill themselves or begin cutting. Even if you cant feel their pain you should be smart enough to know what pain is.

Anyway, I was saying, how do we stop this barbaric behavior?! Its in all realms and mostly IN THE COMMONS!!!

Amanda AshBane- Level 48 Master Pyromancer
noob just means new player

how i see it is, its a cycle. in any MMORPG i've played, you start off with terrible gear and being called names
then you slowly progress into being better and looking down at the players starting out

honestly its pretty pathetic if you feel like cutting yourself because of being called "noob" on an online kids' game

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1432
Noob is definitely an insult. Newbie is a kinder word for a new player. I think both should only be used by the person about themselves as a joke. Otherwise it's patronizing.

"Noob" is used to bully. I'd be fine with it being a banned or soft-banned word.

There's definitely bullying - I guess that comes with any online place that has free membership. Wizard 101 seems to have more in place than most other online places do, to try to fight it.

I just want to back up those who said words do matter. Bullies know that. If they didn't matter, why would bullies keep doing it? Of course it hurts people. No one can help how they *feel* about something. Maybe the words hit a nerve but that's not wrong. It's the bully who is to blame not the person who is hurt by it.

It doesn't matter if it's in person or written on paper or sent online. Words are just syllables, yes. But there is a lot of study and writing going back hundreds of years on "the pen is mightier than the sword" and the way words can burrow in and stay. Bottom line there is no reason anyone should be bullying or harassing anyone. It's a game. People deserve their fun time without being abused.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
577
I'd consider that a kid if they act like that as a teenager. I'd be fine with noob being in the chat but since its used as an insult it really shouldn't be in there.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2011
29
It's not bullying.
It's cyber-bullying.
Two very different things.

You can stop cyber-bullying by:
-blocking the person
-ignoring the person and actually concentrating on the game
-turn off your computer

You can't really stop real-life bullying as easily.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
577
Reckless6000 on Sep 27, 2016 wrote:
It's not bullying.
It's cyber-bullying.
Two very different things.

You can stop cyber-bullying by:
-blocking the person
-ignoring the person and actually concentrating on the game
-turn off your computer

You can't really stop real-life bullying as easily.
Cyber-bullying is a type of bullying. Also the problem is that people aren't being punished and there aren't always ways to make you feel better from what just happened. Easier said than done.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2011
29
frostednutella on Sep 28, 2016 wrote:
Cyber-bullying is a type of bullying. Also the problem is that people aren't being punished and there aren't always ways to make you feel better from what just happened. Easier said than done.
Wizard101 has a strict chat filter for a reason, to block out all the words that hurt people.
Most phrases don't hurt people as much, as the meaner ones are blocked.
Just simply block the person, it's not hard.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
577
Reckless6000 on Sep 30, 2016 wrote:
Wizard101 has a strict chat filter for a reason, to block out all the words that hurt people.
Most phrases don't hurt people as much, as the meaner ones are blocked.
Just simply block the person, it's not hard.
You didn't read my first post which explains my opinion on everything. People also get around the filter. Seriously though, it is a problem.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1027
I admit, this subject is giving me a good chuckle. It reminds me of volleyball; words going back and forth. So I'm going to place my opinion. We all have to be careful what we say and do to others for what may not be rude and insulting to you, may be to others. Noob is a slang word for newbie which can be rude and insulting. I don't know why people have "it's all about me attitude". No one is better or have a better game strategy and interests than anyone else. Clicking the ignore button helps you from being bullied but not others and that needs to be addressed to KI. If the word noob is a problem by causing a high volume of insults, then it should be banned. My point is this is a community game for everyone to play with convenience and enjoyment while being secured not someone punching bag. I know someone may contradict this post which is fine but it only means that person doesn't understand and needs to read it again because I don't want to repeat myself . Please don't take this post as an attack or personal

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1432
frostednutella on Sep 28, 2016 wrote:
Cyber-bullying is a type of bullying. Also the problem is that people aren't being punished and there aren't always ways to make you feel better from what just happened. Easier said than done.
ITA with this.

Cyber bullying is serious - and it isn't that easy to stop. Because it is the internet, cyber bullies will often use sock puppets. Or they will enlist others to join in the bullying. Imagine the people they enlist also have sock puppets and it is like playing cosmic whack a mole.

Cyber bullying is illegal in many real-world jurisdictions. Cyber bullying has led to suicide in some real world instances. It should never be taken lightly in my opinion.

I love that there are things in place that try to prevent or slow any type of bullying.

I have had people curse and bully me who were using the chat filter. They all get around it using phonetics. I'm an adult so I kind of had to chuckle because it looked ridiculous. But I took it seriously because if I were a kid or if I thought that person had sway over my friends I might be very upset by that. In one case it upset me anyway because they used foul language. I had not even met that person/wizard before! I think they were whispering the same thing to others as I saw some people port out and I saw some people post in chat.

Survivor
Dec 05, 2010
2
I KNOW RIGHT!? I was friended by three girl wizards, (i was level 13) and they pulled me to a boss, unfriended me, and left me to die!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
1027
BriannaRavenstride... on Oct 2, 2016 wrote:
I KNOW RIGHT!? I was friended by three girl wizards, (i was level 13) and they pulled me to a boss, unfriended me, and left me to die!
Well that was just beyond mean! Doesn't that make you want take your hands and pull them back in battle and say; you 3 get back hear and fight!?

Survivor
Sep 04, 2008
26
This kind of behavior will never go away unfortunately. This is a problem that any game could and most likely does face in terms of player behavior. But I'm going to agree with a lot of people on here and say that banning the word noob won't do anything to help. What everyone that has been victimized needs to do is just say "Hey, those guys are jerks. But are they really worth getting upset over? No, they're not! Its a game that's meant to be fun and enjoyable to everyone that plays it and thats what I'm gonna do, have fun and enjoy it." People who say are do means things in game probably have problems of their own and aren't going to do much in life with the attitude they have towards people. Especially if they only do it when they're behind a computer screen. That's a serious problem in its own right and personally I feel sorry for them.
Anyway hopes this helps, and I hope you get through whatever kind of hardships those players put you through!

Ronan Strongward lvl93

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
577
toontower on Oct 5, 2016 wrote:
This kind of behavior will never go away unfortunately. This is a problem that any game could and most likely does face in terms of player behavior. But I'm going to agree with a lot of people on here and say that banning the word noob won't do anything to help. What everyone that has been victimized needs to do is just say "Hey, those guys are jerks. But are they really worth getting upset over? No, they're not! Its a game that's meant to be fun and enjoyable to everyone that plays it and thats what I'm gonna do, have fun and enjoy it." People who say are do means things in game probably have problems of their own and aren't going to do much in life with the attitude they have towards people. Especially if they only do it when they're behind a computer screen. That's a serious problem in its own right and personally I feel sorry for them.
Anyway hopes this helps, and I hope you get through whatever kind of hardships those players put you through!

Ronan Strongward lvl93
That's the spirit!!!!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
4162
SparkleTude on Oct 1, 2016 wrote:
ITA with this.

Cyber bullying is serious - and it isn't that easy to stop. Because it is the internet, cyber bullies will often use sock puppets. Or they will enlist others to join in the bullying. Imagine the people they enlist also have sock puppets and it is like playing cosmic whack a mole.

Cyber bullying is illegal in many real-world jurisdictions. Cyber bullying has led to suicide in some real world instances. It should never be taken lightly in my opinion.

I love that there are things in place that try to prevent or slow any type of bullying.

I have had people curse and bully me who were using the chat filter. They all get around it using phonetics. I'm an adult so I kind of had to chuckle because it looked ridiculous. But I took it seriously because if I were a kid or if I thought that person had sway over my friends I might be very upset by that. In one case it upset me anyway because they used foul language. I had not even met that person/wizard before! I think they were whispering the same thing to others as I saw some people port out and I saw some people post in chat.
While I agree that cyber-bullying is serious. It's virtually impossible in w101. Unless someone is in your friend list, they have no way to contact you. Once you ignore someone, they are gone. They can log in on a different account but there's no way for them to find you. If they enlist others, ignore them too and they disappear as well. Click ignore and leave the area or realm they are in and they can't follow you or talk to you. Responding to them just is just feeding trolls. Click report, click ignore, move along and enjoy your game without giving them another thought.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2016
1
It's probably just teenagers online trying to make others feel inferior. That's a big part of the internet. You can't ban everyone or mute everyone, so the best thing to do is not focus on it. If you don't like seeing rude people in the commons, then leave the commons :P!!! But really the best thing you can do is block players, go to a different realm, and report them if need be.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1432
It is a lot harder here seethe42 and I truly appreciate all of the steps the game took and takes to make it harder for cyber bullies to do their thing.

But if a person knows your habits, when you play (hours/days), where you are in your quest, or sometimes by chance on their other wizard who then friends you...it's still possible, it's happened to me already.

On the general topic/to anyone: Saying not to feel upset is all well and good but it's not that easy especially if the person who was a target of it is already prone to anxiety or depression. No one *wants* to feel terrible, so odds are they have already tried not to be upset. There are some therapists who can teach desensitization skills for anxious persons; but not everyone has the money to do that. So I personally can't judge a person for being upset, although I'm not saying that was anyone's intent here. It's nice someone tried to help others feel better and gave them a positive affirmation about it.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1432
BriannaRavenstride... on Oct 2, 2016 wrote:
I KNOW RIGHT!? I was friended by three girl wizards, (i was level 13) and they pulled me to a boss, unfriended me, and left me to die!
That's really bad :/ sorry that happened to you.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
657
SparkleTude on Oct 1, 2016 wrote:
ITA with this.

Cyber bullying is serious - and it isn't that easy to stop. Because it is the internet, cyber bullies will often use sock puppets. Or they will enlist others to join in the bullying. Imagine the people they enlist also have sock puppets and it is like playing cosmic whack a mole.

Cyber bullying is illegal in many real-world jurisdictions. Cyber bullying has led to suicide in some real world instances. It should never be taken lightly in my opinion.

I love that there are things in place that try to prevent or slow any type of bullying.

I have had people curse and bully me who were using the chat filter. They all get around it using phonetics. I'm an adult so I kind of had to chuckle because it looked ridiculous. But I took it seriously because if I were a kid or if I thought that person had sway over my friends I might be very upset by that. In one case it upset me anyway because they used foul language. I had not even met that person/wizard before! I think they were whispering the same thing to others as I saw some people port out and I saw some people post in chat.
Thank you SparkleTude for your many comments, postings, and responses; because you help make the W101 Community better and stronger. Cyber bullying is what it is, and while it may exist in and out of the W101 game and forum; there should be clear repercussions for anyone who repeatedly makes the choice to be a cyber bully; and never shall this type of behavior ever have to be accepted or tolerated.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1432
Tylerwildpants on Oct 8, 2016 wrote:
Thank you SparkleTude for your many comments, postings, and responses; because you help make the W101 Community better and stronger. Cyber bullying is what it is, and while it may exist in and out of the W101 game and forum; there should be clear repercussions for anyone who repeatedly makes the choice to be a cyber bully; and never shall this type of behavior ever have to be accepted or tolerated.
Thank you! I really appreciate this kind post.

:)