Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 05, 2015
I think there's a good mixture.
I've noticed players tend to be older the higher the level.

Hero
Aug 23, 2016
bradley2351 on Dec 28, 2017 wrote:
If you are playing during normal school hours, chances are that you are in the company other adults. However, if you are not yet a great grand or grandparent, then you still just a relative child so enjoy - hahahahahahaha
So, even though my youngest is 18. Even though I am in my 50s. By your definition, I am still a child, as none of my children have children of the own, yet.

YES! I made it. My Grandfather told me long ago, "If you have not grown up by age 50, you are no longer required to do so."

Thank you, you just made my day.
Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
Area51Alien on Dec 29, 2017 wrote:
So, even though my youngest is 18. Even though I am in my 50s. By your definition, I am still a child, as none of my children have children of the own, yet.

YES! I made it. My Grandfather told me long ago, "If you have not grown up by age 50, you are no longer required to do so."

Thank you, you just made my day.
Steven Ghoststalker
I'm in the same age bracket as you, never have to grow up.
I love this game but am cautious about getting to friendly with anyone after a lot of drama. Not only in Wizard101 but other games. It's sad to admit but it's the older players that cause the drama, kids can be rude and foolish and sometimes a pain with their begging for gifts etc., but it's the adults that bring the drama of their lives with them. I quit playing this game for several years because of just this problem. I am back now and love the game as much as ever. However while I am friendly towards other players I pretty much keep to myself now.

good luck and happy gaming

Hero
Aug 23, 2016
pawpaws on Dec 31, 2017 wrote:
I'm in the same age bracket as you, never have to grow up.
I love this game but am cautious about getting to friendly with anyone after a lot of drama. Not only in Wizard101 but other games. It's sad to admit but it's the older players that cause the drama, kids can be rude and foolish and sometimes a pain with their begging for gifts etc., but it's the adults that bring the drama of their lives with them. I quit playing this game for several years because of just this problem. I am back now and love the game as much as ever. However while I am friendly towards other players I pretty much keep to myself now.

good luck and happy gaming
Alas, you have spoken words of truth.

I for one, play to leave the drama behind. Here I am a Wizard, capable of defeating whatever vile evil comes my way.

In meatspace, I have to deal with drama, bills, sickness,... ick

Pawpaws, if you ever need a questing buddy who doesn't want any drama, look me up.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Jul 07, 2013
older player here love this game I play to leave all the stress of day to day life behind am disabled so am home a lot alone playing here gives me a sense of belonging

Survivor
Dec 02, 2011
Survivor
Dec 12, 2017
I am 22 and I been playing this game for a very long time as I remember for about 5 years, but I was off and on of it some cause of my job and all.

Been loving this game since I was 18 and I really enjoy the story-line of it as well so far.

Alia StormBlade Level 88 Storm Wizard

Survivor
Dec 25, 2016
I have played this game for years now. I am an older player. Read that as old as dirt. And also disabled. I love this game as it is an outlet for me to run and jump and hunt and build and just generally have a very good time in. I truly love this game.

Survivor
Nov 22, 2010
How about a 65 year old who is handicapped with difficulty walking. That's me. Been all over the world and found this game to keep my mind occupied and functioning in real time. Past Social Worker and US Army veteran. i just go around helping out as have maxed out all characters at one time or another but cant afford to maintain them all, so I use my life character mainly.

Hero
Aug 23, 2016
Rogan DeathRider on Jan 12, 2018 wrote:
How about a 65 year old who is handicapped with difficulty walking. That's me. Been all over the world and found this game to keep my mind occupied and functioning in real time. Past Social Worker and US Army veteran. i just go around helping out as have maxed out all characters at one time or another but cant afford to maintain them all, so I use my life character mainly.
Thank you for your service!

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
I started playing this when I was a little kid, and now I'm in college! The excitement I felt when I got my first membership was magical, seeing firecat alley for the first time was a moment I can never forget. Even now with new worlds coming out, I still get excited. Such a good game for relaxing and making friends.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2009
Older player here as well!

Survivor
Jan 19, 2018
Older gamer here. I used to play this when I was in say 5th or 6th grade. I'm in college now and just recently downloaded it and got a membership because my parents didn't want to get me one when I was younger lol. But I'm in college now and pay my own way in life xD but I think the game is fun, I don't talk to too many people unless I need help on a boss fight.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2011
I suppose I'm an older player as well. I remember that I began playing W101 during Easter in 2011. Time flies! I don't think I will ever get tired of this game...

Survivor
Jan 30, 2018
Older person here, although I've been playing the game on and off since open beta started on the game. Now I'm coming back to playing it, and this time I get to play the game with my husband (and a baby on the way very soon!). So, definitely not a kid haha.

Survivor
Feb 19, 2017
Yep i'm 28, Who said an adult cant play childrens games XD

Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
wow so many of us started in beta and still here. My daughter and I have been playing for soooo long now I think I have lost some "friends" tho to outgrowing the game but make new ones to replace them lol

Survivor
Feb 02, 2016
46 years old here. My wife and i started playing because of our daughter, i would say about 5 years ago. My wife passed away last year but me and my daughter are still playing this game. It's a good game to take your mind off things and pass time.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2011
I think the origional idea for this game was for it to be for any age, because that's why family accounts exist!

Survivor
Nov 19, 2009
I'm probably older than everyone here. I'm older than dirt ... I like to say.
Not sure if we're allowed to post our actual age ... but maybe I can say that I watched the Andy Griffith show when the episodes were brand new!

N.P.

Hero
Aug 23, 2016
NightPoe on Feb 7, 2018 wrote:
I'm probably older than everyone here. I'm older than dirt ... I like to say.
Not sure if we're allowed to post our actual age ... but maybe I can say that I watched the Andy Griffith show when the episodes were brand new!

N.P.
Ok, you've got me beat, but not by much. Super Bowl I was played the same year I arrived.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
May 08, 2012
I remember playing this when I was 10, just playing class, grinding in the haunted cave, without any membership.
But now 5 years later I'm back for more game-play. (-:

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
that's so impressive that this game has such a diverse age range!

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
I can only speak from experience, and I have a bunch of that. On the 26th of this month, I shall turn 66, I believe, let me check, 2018-1952=66. Yep, that's how old I'll be. I have a friend, on one of my characters, who is 70, and plays, occasionally. (When you're old, the marathon playing is exhausting) I've never enjoyed any game as much as this one, and being retired, I find it an excellent way to keep my mind occupied, and enjoy the play. I must confess, I have few "in-game" friends, because, at my age, I don't relate well to teenagers. It isn't a problem, because, as you noted, posting age is not allowed. I've admitted, on rare occasions, to friends who sincerely wanted to know, that I was "older than most", but don't get more specific than that, unless the other person is my age, or older. Many are, and only the owners of this game know how many. (you have to declare your age, when starting, for the first time) Insofar as 'rude' players, there are many. I find it upsetting when I go to the Kiosk and try to 'help' on a dungeon, only to find that those who asked, have fled, and I'm in the dungeon alone. If I want to avoid the ten minute delay, I have to play the dungeon alone, and gain neither experience nor credit for a 'help'. (I want to reach two thousand to see what it is) Perhaps there could be a penalty for requesting help, and then leaving, after others have joined. That would at least make me feel better about having to play solo, in a dungeon that is neither easy nor designed for solo play. (think briskbreeze tower) Rules are enforced, if evidence of wrongdoing can be proven, but I think a penalty of Crowns/gold would also be good. (Your character will be excluded from all worlds, except Wizard City, until a he/she pays a fine of (insert amount).

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
Area51Alien on Feb 7, 2018 wrote:
Ok, you've got me beat, but not by much. Super Bowl I was played the same year I arrived.

Steven Ghoststalker
I remember how hard it was, as a child in elementary school, learning how to spell the President's name. Eisenhower was quite a large word to learn, when the reading books were "Fun with Dick and Jane" and such. I got out of High School just in time to be in on the Last few years, of the war in Vietnam, but I enjoy this game anyway, it gives me something to do, in retirement, that occupies my mind and is fun. I was already in High School when the first super bowl was played. 1967 was a good year, I made the all-state choir.