Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
"If us older players choose a realm and all lock into it. I suggest we lock into Wraith realm. What is your Opinion?"
Wraith? What, is there no Crypt Keeper realm? (Just kidding.)

Fine if people want to. For myself I wouldn't choose to self-segregate. Might be OK for an occasional howdy.

I might choose a more neutral or flattering realm name, were it up to me alone.

Historian
Aug 23, 2016
I agree with Sparkletude, we remove ourselves from the main group? Self-segregating only leaves the ratio of rude people higher for everyone else.

I can see meeting up in the commons but nor for general questing.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
ya, the meeting in the commons sounds like fun. We can pick a realm. We can use it anytime we feel like we want to talk to another older player or just to meet others and share.
Needs to be a realm that is not usually full. So who is going to pick a realm?
Don't forget to tell your friends, I have a few that have been around a long time.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
I like to think that most of the support comes from older players like us that never grew up.

Survivor
Dec 01, 2012
I guess I haven't been around as long as some of you other guys but I like the idea of picking a realm. I miss having good, reliable friends that I could have a conversation with when I was having a bad day. Maybe we can bring that long-lost relationship back.

Historian
Aug 23, 2016
bobcatalex1 on Nov 7, 2017 wrote:
I guess I haven't been around as long as some of you other guys but I like the idea of picking a realm. I miss having good, reliable friends that I could have a conversation with when I was having a bad day. Maybe we can bring that long-lost relationship back.
I could get behind having a realm where we get together to chat in real time.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Feb 06, 2010
When are they going to add name/gender change feature in exchange for the Crowns I bought? Every other MMORPG has this.

Survivor
May 30, 2013
andymccormick on Nov 8, 2017 wrote:
When are they going to add name/gender change feature in exchange for the Crowns I bought? Every other MMORPG has this.
I started many years before this account. I had to restart and make a new account since I forgot my first accounts username so... :( I started in like 2010 - 2011 (not sure exactly)

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
Hey I like the idea of meeting up in a specific realm. How about Greystone?...perhaps once a week at a specific time(remember time zone changes) at a time that the majority could be on the game....since this is basically something us older people are trying to establish, "getting together" will take time, spread the word if you have "real life" friends that also play...check the message board under this title...perhaps we all could wear black hats just in that realm?....(why black?..didnt think the guys would like pink, lol)....commons area is the most logical....

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
Good Idea.
So the realm will be GREYROSE.
With the different time zones, I would like to make it all day SATURDAYS. Just pop in when you are playing.
Black hat sounds great, how about the SOFT HOOD, 21 gold in the bazaar. You can customize the trim.
in the COMMONS AREA.
First meeting day November 25, 2017

everyone interested

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
I'll give it a try Cat....but talk about a senior moment....the realm is "Greyrose"...sorry about that!....I'll be on a multi-colored rabbit....my time zone is mountain time ...will try for mid morning and if no one is there,will try at times throughout the day.
Gabrielle Ravenwalker

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
Cat Wildbreeze on Nov 18, 2017 wrote:
Good Idea.
With the different time zones, I would like to make it all day SATURDAYS. Just pop in when you are playing.
Black hat sounds great, how about the SOFT HOOD, 21 gold in the bazaar. You can customize the trim.
in the COMMONS AREA.

everyone interested
Correction realms name is GREYROSE.
Hope everyone agrees and CYA soon!!!

Historian
Aug 23, 2016
Good Idea.
in the COMMONS AREA.

everyone interested
Black Soft Hood from the Bazaar.

I'm usually on afternoons on Saturdays (CST)

After Thanksgiving, I'll be in my Holiday Train.

See you all on the 25th

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Love the realm name you chose - Greyrose

Black hoods, eh? How spooky!! How mysterious!

Will endeavor to pop by sometime. Can't make it the 25th. Have fun, everyone.

Survivor
Sep 22, 2014
Older player here that has been playing since I was a kid! But I never really get that far in the game lol as I do take many breaks in between playing.

52 Alexis LifeBreeze
39 Llewella
22 Esmee
17 Laura
16 Nora
11 Cassandra
2 Sestiva (kind of quit on her)

Historian
Aug 23, 2016
Correction realms name is GREYROSE.
Hope everyone agrees and CYA soon!!!
Over all, I think it was a successful meeting of the Greyrose Gang.

It was a pleasure meeting those of you who I did.

Looking forward to next Saturday

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Dec 20, 2014
Nice to meet in Greyrose. My wizard wore a red soft hat as in the Red Hatters group-ladies over 55. Can we narrow down the time window a bit? All day in the Commons was a bit long.

I started playing wizards and pirates when the child I was watching in the summer wanted to play. She did one of those "take over for me" in the middle of a battle and I panicked. Then fishing was introduced and when she went home, I played. I gradually got used to traveling the streets and then fights. Now we have 2 accounts so we can play together. She had created 3 male fire wizards so I created a storm gal on the other account. All are level 53 and more than halfway through Dragonspyre although Grizzleheim isn't finished or Barkingham Palace or Kennsington St. So much to do. See you in the spiral!

Calamity Hexcloud 53
David Strongsword 53
Travis Firefist 53
Brian Lionmask 53

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
Nice to see all of you that made it on Saturday.
In the commons, in Greyrose realm.
I hope I did not miss anyone. But I tried to stay on as much as I could all day.
I will be popping into Greyrose realm, whenever I am on. Once we get a group together, we can
help each other with questing and dungeons.( I hate it when I am abandoned in a Dungeon)
I love to hear others ideas of things to do and how to do it.
So, if you missed or forgot to pop in on Saturday, I will be there every Saturday, if I can. If not me, I am sure you will
run into others. I do not intent for you to be on all just pop in at your normal play time.
Stephen came up with a wonderful idea. He suggested we call ourselves the GREYROSE GANG. I think that is a great idea. So now we have a name other than older players, lol.
So just yell out Greyrose Gang and if anyone of us is there, We will come see you.
My week so far has been great. I managed to get four of my wizards to Commander in pvp. Yay!
Hope everyone has a great week and a lot to talk about when we see you on Saturday.
Catherine level 120 and level 125

Survivor
May 27, 2010
Older player here.

I've actually been playing this game for years (I joined when Dragonspyre was the highest and level 50 was the max) and have met many older players in my time. Some of them much older than you'd expect when using the word "older". I'm mostly a fairly quiet person in the Wizard101 community. I've avoided the message boards when I became aware of them because there was so much drama around the PvP scene, and generally the game has become... saddening in a few ways which, of course, I won't bring down the message board with.

Anyhow, I think it's a totally regular occurrence that older players play wizard101. Heck, open chat requires 18 years of age or older, and much of the end game stuff is far too complex for a younger player to jump right into without help. I've always been a soloist (as a fire, which has been quite the run if I'm honest). I'm always drawn to support roles, so I actually set up my character to do large amounts of damage but sacrifice some of the damage for healing and survival, so I can solo or tank for friends that need the assistance. As a healing fire, my active time in the game is spent fighting difficult bosses for others in team up when they just can't find help, or assisting people with farming and tackling the gear grinds of the max levels. I've always disliked the idea of blades and traps, so I set up my stats and fighting style to reflect that, able to do good damage or healing at any amount of pips.

All that off topic rambling aside, I'm curious how many older players play the game as a soloist as well. I've never had help while questing excluding with parts in Mirage, and am coming to realize that the game is becoming harder and harder to play alone on. That's not a bad thing, but it's definitely off putting a little, 'cause I can't multi-task anymore or I might miss an important development.

TL;DR
Been playing for over 5 years; I've run into many older players and it's natural. Any other older players a soloist?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oran D Weaver on Dec 8, 2017 wrote:
Older player here.

I've actually been playing this game for years (I joined when Dragonspyre was the highest and level 50 was the max) and have met many older players in my time. Some of them much older than you'd expect when using the word "older". I'm mostly a fairly quiet person in the Wizard101 community. I've avoided the message boards when I became aware of them because there was so much drama around the PvP scene, and generally the game has become... saddening in a few ways which, of course, I won't bring down the message board with.

Anyhow, I think it's a totally regular occurrence that older players play wizard101. Heck, open chat requires 18 years of age or older, and much of the end game stuff is far too complex for a younger player to jump right into without help. I've always been a soloist (as a fire, which has been quite the run if I'm honest). I'm always drawn to support roles, so I actually set up my character to do large amounts of damage but sacrifice some of the damage for healing and survival, so I can solo or tank for friends that need the assistance. As a healing fire, my active time in the game is spent fighting difficult bosses for others in team up when they just can't find help, or assisting people with farming and tackling the gear grinds of the max levels. I've always disliked the idea of blades and traps, so I set up my stats and fighting style to reflect that, able to do good damage or healing at any amount of pips.

All that off topic rambling aside, I'm curious how many older players play the game as a soloist as well. I've never had help while questing excluding with parts in Mirage, and am coming to realize that the game is becoming harder and harder to play alone on. That's not a bad thing, but it's definitely off putting a little, 'cause I can't multi-task anymore or I might miss an important development.

TL;DR
Been playing for over 5 years; I've run into many older players and it's natural. Any other older players a soloist?
I mostly solo.

Historian
Aug 23, 2016
Oran D Weaver on Dec 8, 2017 wrote:
Older player here.

TL;DR
Aside from some bosses, I've soloed my way to level 83 and most of the way through Avalon as a Life Wizard

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
May 27, 2010
Good to know that if I'm just being weird, my weird tendencies are shared I suppose. Soloed my way to current level on my fire and (in my opinion) fully geared myself up well. Anyhow, not really sure what I was going for in this thread. Have a good day, friends.

Oran Dragonweaver 115

Survivor
May 27, 2010
Oh, I guess I should leave this here as well since my message board interactions are pretty scarce. My realm of choice for standing around in the commons during my free time is Vampire. Not sure why, just decided it was a cool idea. So if anyone would like help or just to hang out, I guess you can find me there. I always wear the Dragoon's set (the dragon-looking gear from Dragonspyre).

Oran Dragonweaver 115

Survivor
Jun 16, 2012
I'm somewhat of an older player. Not because of my age, I'm kind of average, but because of how long I've played. I think I started back around when Zafaria was the last world, and back then I barely knew anything about this game, I played because my brother found it and thought it fun to play with me. After a while he moved on to other things, but not me (funny how that worked out), and I still love the game. However, I've only played on intervals 2 months on and 2 months off, just because eventually I get bored. And because of that I've made really, really slow progress (also, i complete all side quests). Even now, my best character just unlocked Polaris today, so I'm just saying I've seen both older and newer players, and a large change in how crowded the severs are (seriously KingsIsle, add a few more severs, most of the time 3/4 of them are crowded or full).

Allan Emeraldhammer, lvl 105 theurgist.

P.S: I saw Polaris' map, it seemed pretty small.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2012
If you are playing during normal school hours, chances are that you are in the company other adults. However, if you are not yet a great grand or grandparent, then you still just a relative child so enjoy - hahahahahahaha