Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 27, 2012
Older gamer here :) I was around when Wizard101 first came into thought and I watched my brother help design the game and have played ever since. It's wonderful to hear that there are gamers who have played this game for a while and are older too. I thought I was the odd one out because of how old I am. But, I guess not :D

Karik

Survivor
Nov 18, 2012
Burpo on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
Older player here.
I've been around some time now. My name is Samantha FireHammer. unfortunately I cannot log onto my game with the ddos problem they say is happening.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2013
Old Gamer here.
Started Playing with my children some time back.
They are older now and have graduated to shinier and more violent games. I like Wizard 101, because though it seems simple on the surface it is really quite complex and challenging.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2010
I have been playing since nearly the beginning of the game, I stopped for a while and created a new account, but have kept it ever since. I would like to find some older players to join in the game with.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2011
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
I started this game when I was a kid and i am still in love with it. Then again I've had it for so long and am only recently unlocking more worlds haha. I'm an older player but a player none the less. That's what makes this game so great. It does not matter your age its fun for everyone.

That said, I believe that KingsIsle is doing all they can to counter the resent DDOSE attacks. To all out there demanding rewards for not being able to play I say chill out. If we get rewarded that would be awesome. However we as the consumer can not demand anything out of something that was not there fault. They are trying to do the best they can with what they have. It is a last resort of any business to outsource for help. The attacks flood the servers with fake users. It will take time to stop just one attack but Pigeon is sending out multiple attacks and shutting them off to start knew ones. This makes fighting it hard. But all those who are truly in love with this game will wait, because we will not let some bird man disrupt our faith in KingsIsle people.

Good Luck on your fight KingsIsle! All the loyalist will be watching and waiting for the time you get that pest Pigeon off the servers! You can do it!

Survivor
Jul 30, 2013
I don't consider myself "old" per say, I'm still a teenager but I've definitely met the older crowd in game. I find this whole community to be much less toxic as a whole rather than your standard FPS.

Monica Moon
Madison DawnRiver

Survivor
May 17, 2016
Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
Nearly Grandma playing for over 8 years now. My daughter wanted someone she could play the game with. So now I play and she has moved on to other games.

Survivor
May 01, 2013
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Nanook632 on Sep 2, 2017 wrote:
I am an older gamer and proud, it makes me forget my problems of life,
and all the other wizards are really nice, I have even made some friends, thanks KI.
"it makes me forget my problems of life,"

Yes! Exactly!

Which is why I appreciate those players who realize it is just a game and the real purpose is to relax and to have fun, in whatever playing style the person sees fit.

Once people give each other that 'space' it's so relaxing, and entertaining, because then the mind can be more receptive to all of the wonderful creativity and imagination in the game.
I never want to treat a game or a hobby like a job.

I loved how you put that, Nanook, so I just had to give you a high five and say me too.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2016
Geographer
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Oct 17, 2017 wrote:
"it makes me forget my problems of life,"

Yes! Exactly!

Which is why I appreciate those players who realize it is just a game and the real purpose is to relax and to have fun, in whatever playing style the person sees fit.

Once people give each other that 'space' it's so relaxing, and entertaining, because then the mind can be more receptive to all of the wonderful creativity and imagination in the game.
I never want to treat a game or a hobby like a job.

I loved how you put that, Nanook, so I just had to give you a high five and say me too.
And I thought I was secretly reverting to childhood.

Add me to the High Five and Me Too list

Nanook, Sparkletude, thank you for putting this so eloquently

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016

Thank you, Alien51, so much.

A+ Student
Jan 18, 2010
Honestly, it's the older players in the game that are among the nicest and most helpful. These people are never angry, sour or just plain out rude like a majority of the younger generation. So, to all the older players, please, don't leave! Stay! :D

I grew up on the game to the point that I'll soon be completing Med School, so, I'm among the seasoned veterans.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Congrats on med school, Star Edward!
I've met some very helpful and polite young'uns too, but, usually with age comes patience, I see your point!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Star Edward on Oct 18, 2017 wrote:
Honestly, it's the older players in the game that are among the nicest and most helpful. These people are never angry, sour or just plain out rude like a majority of the younger generation. So, to all the older players, please, don't leave! Stay! :D

I grew up on the game to the point that I'll soon be completing Med School, so, I'm among the seasoned veterans.

Thank you for the complement. I try my best to help others in need battling bosses and dungeons and I don't leave until the quest is finished unless half the teams leaves causing our defeat. I admit I do get upset when there's trolling of any sort.

Geographer
Aug 23, 2016
Star Edward on Oct 18, 2017 wrote:

Congratulations!

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Feb 04, 2012
There surely are Older Gamers in Wizard101. And you can usually tell who they when you play with them. They stay with you in defeat, never abruptly leave you hanging in a battle, always polite and sociable.
We are:
William LionHeart
Dustin
Mark
Blaze
Artur
Alex

and all Level120

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
William Lionheart on Oct 25, 2017 wrote:
There surely are Older Gamers in Wizard101. And you can usually tell who they when you play with them. They stay with you in defeat, never abruptly leave you hanging in a battle, always polite and sociable.
We are:
William LionHeart
Dustin
Mark
Blaze
Artur
Alex

and all Level120
Impressive, being max on all your wizards!

It's going to take me 'forever' to max my other ones because I rarely play those. But that is fine with me. By then those parts of the game will seem new again. Meanwhile I dabble with each one here and there. It's a nice relaxing pace. I really wanted to complete the game on one wizard and until then I didn't want to explore other parts of the game. Now I can do that.

You sound like a very helpful player. That's great.

I just wanted to thank you for that and to also add that another way to 'tell' older players is they will often choose the white hair while making their wizard. However that's no guarantee. Younger players could choose white hair for all sorts of reasons including it looks more wizard-y to some people; and older players could choose any other color of hair for similar reasons.

But oftentimes the older ones will choose the white hair so if you meet someone really polite and patient who also has white hair for their wizard, well.....

Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
Yea guess what? It just a game to relax and have fun with. If people are bugging you; you can use that mute button of yours. If you don't like muting people then simply go to a different realm. ALSO they only care about people who found a loop hole in the chat to say racist stuff, make terroristic threats, or completly owning the game and giving everybody chicken skins.(Hacking). If someone is simply being mean, that's simply them being them ,but there is bullying. That is something they would pay attention too ,but that would only happen if someone you know in real life somehow stumbled onto you in wizard101. ALSO this game isn't childish. What's childish about it? If that's the case clash of clans is childish ,even though many, many, many adults play that game. Whoever is calling you childish ,but plays video games themselves is also childish in this case. You aren't childish for playing a family friendly game. Don't forget that Mario would be the childish of all games again if that's the case. Your boyfriend is hypocrite if he plays, does, or uses any family friendly thing for fun. I am on the older side and played this game since launch. Am I childish ,even though I am probably the most responsible person out of all the adults my age? I am the only person my age when they get a job, they get it done on time. Rarely anybody actually does that on a consistent basis ,because no one is willing to spend their own time improving themselves on their own time. I am currently learning c++ and should be able to make my own game from scratch before I even graduate. Ok... sorry about the ego stroking ,but you get what I mean. This isn't childish to play a fun game. Childish is acting like a child in some way ,which we all have some bits. (If you watch disney movies more than once and are without kids or anyone forcing you to do it you are childish). Everyone has something childish and allows us to have something called a "life".

Survivor
Dec 10, 2010
I've been playing since the start of high school, and just continued to check in every now and again over the years. I'm not the target demographic I'd imagine, but I love playing this game with my brother for nostalgia reasons mostly. I've now been out of high school for a couple of years, so you can see what I mean about target demographic lol!

If it's fun, and you're able to chill out while playing it, then more power to you. That's all that matters in the end

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
lucas Hexward on Oct 28, 2017 wrote:
Yea guess what? It just a game to relax and have fun with. If people are bugging you; you can use that mute button of yours. If you don't like muting people then simply go to a different realm. ALSO they only care about people who found a loop hole in the chat to say racist stuff, make terroristic threats, or completly owning the game and giving everybody chicken skins.(Hacking). If someone is simply being mean, that's simply them being them ,but there is bullying. That is something they would pay attention too ,but that would only happen if someone you know in real life somehow stumbled onto you in wizard101. ALSO this game isn't childish. What's childish about it? If that's the case clash of clans is childish ,even though many, many, many adults play that game. Whoever is calling you childish ,but plays video games themselves is also childish in this case. You aren't childish for playing a family friendly game. Don't forget that Mario would be the childish of all games again if that's the case. Your boyfriend is hypocrite if he plays, does, or uses any family friendly thing for fun. I am on the older side and played this game since launch. Am I childish ,even though I am probably the most responsible person out of all the adults my age? I am the only person my age when they get a job, they get it done on time. Rarely anybody actually does that on a consistent basis ,because no one is willing to spend their own time improving themselves on their own time. I am currently learning c++ and should be able to make my own game from scratch before I even graduate. Ok... sorry about the ego stroking ,but you get what I mean. This isn't childish to play a fun game. Childish is acting like a child in some way ,which we all have some bits. (If you watch disney movies more than once and are without kids or anyone forcing you to do it you are childish). Everyone has something childish and allows us to have something called a "life".
Just wanted to say: there is childish and there is childlike.

Having fun and enjoying things that have an air of simplicity could be seen by some as childlike.

Employing some of the more negative or immature aspects of less experience with life could be seen by some as childish.

What I think you were trying to describe is ways in which it is just fine to be child like.

There's nothing wrong in enjoying oneself or in harmless stress relief such as cards, movies, games. Nothing wrong whatsoever. Not only not wrong but actually a sign of health and balance. Just my opinion (agreeing with you, if I've understood your post.)

Geographer
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Oct 27, 2017 wrote:
Impressive, being max on all your wizards!

It's going to take me 'forever' to max my other ones because I rarely play those. But that is fine with me. By then those parts of the game will seem new again. Meanwhile I dabble with each one here and there. It's a nice relaxing pace. I really wanted to complete the game on one wizard and until then I didn't want to explore other parts of the game. Now I can do that.

You sound like a very helpful player. That's great.

I just wanted to thank you for that and to also add that another way to 'tell' older players is they will often choose the white hair while making their wizard. However that's no guarantee. Younger players could choose white hair for all sorts of reasons including it looks more wizard-y to some people; and older players could choose any other color of hair for similar reasons.

But oftentimes the older ones will choose the white hair so if you meet someone really polite and patient who also has white hair for their wizard, well.....
Hmmm, my Wizard has green hair. But then I haven't started to go grey (except my beard) yet either.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Oct 29, 2017 wrote:
Hmmm, my Wizard has green hair. But then I haven't started to go grey (except my beard) yet either.

Steven Ghoststalker
My theory could be bunkum then :)

It is actually one told me by someone else. I know of some cases in which it was true but I don't ask others if it is.

I don't have any grays in real life either, but one of my wizards has white hair. The others vary from green and blue and red to black and brown.

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
I thought of a great idea (I think). Since we can now lock realms, If us older players choose a realm and all lock into it. I suggest we lock into Wraith realm. What is your Opinion?