Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 10, 2013
Yes i have encounter alot of older players and blazelifehammer is like the main youtuber for wizard101 that i know of and he is a older player and as for me i am a older player

Adam

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
OK you "older players"(?)...I think Ive got you beat on this item.....I'm a level 83 and I graduated in '64!!!.....yes, I am a granny wizard!!...lol.....Gabrielle Ravenwalker

Survivor
Oct 08, 2012
Let's just say that even if you do get picked on which is pretty rare, unless it's a friendly thing between friends, ten the repOrting system is super simple. I am a older person myself playing since I was young and there isn't really anything to worry about. Some people just play the game and stay clear or other players unless help is needed or some are more social. It is a open environment and I hope you enjoy playing.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
It is the norm to be playing this game as an older individual, but in my opinion, that shouldn't define the content of who we are as people in life or wizards in the spiral.

It kinda stinks that some of us older wizards have been the subject of scrutiny inside as well as outside of the game. I have had more than enough experiences with friends and acquaintances that looked down on people like you and me that play games for "children".

Sorry if we're not into the more violent and inappropriate content with open wounds and an extremely-odd misplacement of armour on female characters. Sheesh.

This environment IS really great and most of the players in it are definitely around the young adult age and up.

Besides, assisting and protecting the young freshman of Ravenwood does have its rewards ,so how about them apples?

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main

Nathan GreenEyes 110 First Max

Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying

Nathan GreenEyes 75 Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Survivor
Dec 06, 2013
thelastdiviner on Feb 6, 2017 wrote:
It is the norm to be playing this game as an older individual, but in my opinion, that shouldn't define the content of who we are as people in life or wizards in the spiral.

It kinda stinks that some of us older wizards have been the subject of scrutiny inside as well as outside of the game. I have had more than enough experiences with friends and acquaintances that looked down on people like you and me that play games for "children".

Sorry if we're not into the more violent and inappropriate content with open wounds and an extremely-odd misplacement of armour on female characters. Sheesh.

This environment IS really great and most of the players in it are definitely around the young adult age and up.

Besides, assisting and protecting the young freshman of Ravenwood does have its rewards ,so how about them apples?

I love what you said and I completely agree! :) Especially about not being into more violent games that often objectify female characters (if that is what you meant by the "extremely-odd misplacement of armour on female characters").

I just found this message board and it is nice to know that there are many other players like myself!

I hope to see you in the Spiral too :)

Destiny NightShade (Level 47) Bookworm

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
I don't think I've ever commented on here have I? I am an older player, about as old as a millennial can be. Having some health issues, this is a good game to relax with (most of the time). My younger sister also plays, being the one who got me started. She doesn't play as much anymore as she's more into GTA and Minecraft. I find the former terrible and the latter boring.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2011
Did not read all the posts. There is a group called WizendWizards that any of you adults out there might want to look into. I joined a while back and it is a friendly group that can help if you are interested in joining.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Prophet of Ra on Feb 10, 2017 wrote:
Did not read all the posts. There is a group called WizendWizards that any of you adults out there might want to look into. I joined a while back and it is a friendly group that can help if you are interested in joining.
I'd definitely be interested! I'm sending a message in the thread as I post this. Thanks for the notice!

Survivor
Mar 30, 2009
I've been playing since 2nd grade and I'm in 10th now

Survivor
Dec 15, 2010
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
hi there, I just thought I would add my two cents.
I not only am a grandma who got started playing because my daughter and her kids were playing, but I also bought my mom her first year of membership and she is on her third year this month and she is hooked more then I am . If that is possible. lol

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
carmen229 on Mar 3, 2017 wrote:
hi there, I just thought I would add my two cents.
I not only am a grandma who got started playing because my daughter and her kids were playing, but I also bought my mom her first year of membership and she is on her third year this month and she is hooked more then I am . If that is possible. lol
So, four generations of Wizard 101 players?! That's awesome and would make a great Tv ad

Survivor
Sep 13, 2008
I have been playing this game since 2008 when I was 8 years of age so you can pretty much figure the rest out ...

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
SparkleTude on Mar 10, 2017 wrote:
So, four generations of Wizard 101 players?! That's awesome and would make a great Tv ad
KI may want to jump on this one, lol.

Survivor
May 19, 2011
I have been playing since 2011 when I was 14 and now I am in my first year of college. I just recently came back to wizard101, because I just missed playing the game and had a feeling that me playing it may be considered "childish". But I sat all of that aside and just picked it up, it also helps seeing that a lot of "older" players also play wizard101.

Fiona Angleheaven (level 47)

Survivor
Jun 21, 2010
I've been playing since I got pregnant 7 years ago.
Now my daughter and I both play. (beyond homeschooling and reading books for fun)
We both enjoy it but I miss the guilds I had in another game, that I no longer play.
I would love to meet other older players but have yet to do so.
If you would like to meet up and do some questing or monstrology I'll be outside ravenwood dorms at 2pm central tomorrow.
I'm usually on realm BLOSSOM

Saffron DeathThorn 67 (leveling this one atm)
Calamity Bane 59

Survivor
Sep 05, 2016
I've been playing this game ever since 2010, which I was in elementary school at the time. Now i'm almost in High school and still playing. I know many people will call me '' Childish " for playing a game that is mainly towards children but I don't care.

I have mostly played solo back in 2010 and i'm still playing solo today. I rarely do co-op.

-TheLonelySoloDragon

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
Magdelene on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:
I've been playing since I got pregnant 7 years ago.
Now my daughter and I both play. (beyond homeschooling and reading books for fun)
We both enjoy it but I miss the guilds I had in another game, that I no longer play.
I would love to meet other older players but have yet to do so.
If you would like to meet up and do some questing or monstrology I'll be outside ravenwood dorms at 2pm central tomorrow.
I'm usually on realm BLOSSOM

Saffron DeathThorn 67 (leveling this one atm)
Calamity Bane 59
I might be able to meet up at that time but I'll be getting my gear ready for the first day of trout season. If I can't make it or miss you. Just keep an eye out for "hunter ravenfist." I've been on this game everyday for the last 6 years.

Typically I log on with this wizard (I'm up to 12 maxed wizards spanning 2 accounts) to help people out in the game with either questing, pet hatching (since I'm a collector) or giving tips on gardening and game play.

Survivor
Aug 30, 2012
I'm an older player, my three kids no longer play (mid-teens) but I'm still here.

Survivor
Oct 09, 2008
Yeah I still play. I played maybe back when it first came out but stopped because you couldn't really progress after Triton Ave and I fizzled more than 70% of spell casting. I was probably there before Unicorn Way was nerfed because some people couldn't beat the Lost Souls mobs back then.

Survivor
Sep 07, 2015
Started about a year ago as a way to interact with distant family. Call me grandma too, and most of the people I have as friends are adults (moms/dads if not grannies).. C'mon in, the spellcasting is fine!

Survivor
Feb 14, 2011
have been playing Wizards since the beginning, I love this game. Let's just say I'm retired.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2011
i'm a older gamer i am middle aged and i love this game.

Survivor
Jul 27, 2012

i'm older and still play the game tried to get my ex girl to play and she refused because she was into another game lol

Survivor
Mar 12, 2017
In my opinion, Wizard101 is for all ages. It starts out as a family game, but I feel like as the game progresses through Zafaria, the storyline becomes more advanced and gameplay gets more difficult, therefore attracting older gamers. I have been playing this game since Dragonspyre was the last world, and it gets better after every new world. If you're having fun, just go with that thought and enjoy it.

Cody Drake 83

Explorer
May 23, 2009
Older also means more mature and wiser. Yikes. If anything this game taught me maturity. Been playing since, I'm old enough to receive an allowance. In college now. I remember skipping school, not studying just for the sake of playing. I love this game but I cannot forget the rifle this game caused between me and my parents - lack of responsibility because I wanted to play. Also, I wished I handled my emotions in the game and on these boards better . Can't believe I've insulted people on here while not contributing to the discussion. I'd love nothing more than to take those posts back. Game is still fun but not as exciting when I was younger.